BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The players are a problem as well, we have been saying for years that we have some dross on the books. That however doesn't excuse the manager's performance, it's his job to get the best out of what he has and he will ultimately live or die by his results in a job sense. You think playing hoofball every week to your prize asset which doesn't play to his strengths is sensible tactics? Do Rovers even use any performance monitoring/assessing tools of players and team performance anymore? Surely something like ProZone or other data would point out what is or isn't working?

The guy hasn't got a clue, he talks big but he can't deliver.

I was initially surprised by his appointment but was prepared to give the guy a chance.

I've a degree of sympathy regarding the legacy he'd been left with and the injury situation but surely he should still be able to demonstrate motivational skills and possess tactical awareness.

He has shown neither IMO, to date, nor has he any charisma and as a consequence will never be adequate as a manager.

An experienced manager is a must, please can we have one.

• Backroom

The players are a problem as well, we have been saying for years that we have some dross on the books. That however doesn't excuse the manager's performance, it's his job to get the best out of what he has and he will ultimately live or die by his results in a job sense. You think playing hoofball every week to your prize asset which doesn't play to his strengths is sensible tactics? Do Rovers even use any performance monitoring/assessing tools of players and team performance anymore? Surely something like ProZone or other data would point out what is or isn't working?

I've blamed the players at various points in the season, but right now Appleton is the man at fault. His tactics are a total and utter disgrace. The way he sets our team up is disgusting, the definition of anti-football. We never look like scoring. The players look like they have no idea what they're doing. A man with this poor of a grasp on tactics cannot be trusted to lead us to anything other than the division below. This is without mentioning his poor record for signings so far - bringing in the likes of Rekik and bringing back Orr has done more harm than good. The rest of his signings have been underwhelming or crocked.

Give this man the summer and he will relegate us next season, if he doesn't achieve it in this one. As clueless (in fact, maybe more so) than Kean.

totaly agree get shut now , the bloke is useless,dont give him the summer or we are fooked ,thats if we arent already

Get's rid of all our creative players and guess what we now lack creativity and cant score goals....how can this guy be a manager?

We have no-one to carve open a game with a bit of class and if we had'nt have had Dunny's passion today we would have lost.

I didn't want the guy at first, who did ? But I've been hoping he'd turn things around, lets face it it's not happening. He's the new Brian Kidd. Look how the teams that made experienced appointments are doing now. Decision time for Rovers again. if we can get somebody experienced in my votes a thumbs down.

It is no good looking at this in a logical point of view. What needs to be taken into consideration is the people and the process which would oversee his replacement. Logic does not apply to them and as such the logical solutions would not be overlooked. An experienced manager was required after Kean and we got Berg and then Appleton. There is no reason to suspect we'd get one now either.

Apparently his after match comments were something along the lines of "If we had that support every week we'd be in the premier league"

Now, ill believe it when I hear it, but if he has actually come out with that.....wow, just wow.

We are absolutely desperate for an experienced manager.

We won't get one.

I'm absolutely convinced that Appleton's "game plan" is to keep the football to a minimum and bore the opposition into submission - hoping to fluke a goal. Even at 1-0 down.

We barely create any chances and don't have the quality in midfield to boss the game.

An experienced manager would set up to get the best out of his squad. We have a goal machine yet we don't even set up to get the ball to him.

I don't like the idea of looking for another new manager but I really don't think he's the man.

Ended up missing today's game at the end of the day, was working last night, have got a bit of a virus, and overslept.

Turned the radio on at the exact point that Dunn equalised and according to Radio Lancs we were very lucky to get a point. Turned over to Radio Rovers and they and Appleton were treating a 96th minute equaliser against a ten man Burnley side as if we'd won the European Cup.

Bizarre interview from Appleton, did an "exercise" at the team hotel last night which gave him an insight into the players and they into him. :wacko:

Then more or less threatened the fans when he said anyone questioning his ability had better be ready for a fight. :angry2: Chavvy piece of Manc scum.

Has to go and has to go now. Get Bowyer back in until the end of the season, recall Rochina if we're able, get the side playing football again and reassess our options in summer.

If he's still in charge next season, Ill probably still buy my ST to demonstrate my support for the Club but I doubt Ill bother wasting my time attending games until he's gone.

Strange comments from Appleton.

The fans werent crying for us to lump it forward, the fans were saying play football, not just pass it around the back 4 then lump it forward. When you have the opportunity, set up properly for set pieces etc...

Dont sit off and give the opposition time on the ball, get in their faces, they look a lot worse under pressure. When we are conceeding soft goals from set pieces we put 2 players on halfway line rather than on the posts. Why we only play 4-4-2 when its obvious it doesnt work for us.

We've had a lot of injuries because players coming back are put straight into the 1st team, i.e. Josh King twice, Henley etc.

Someone needs to ask why Dunn has been nowhere for 4 months, but is now capable of playing 90 minutes, is it coincidence that it ties in directly with Murphys absence, why Robbo isnt good enough to be on the bench, why Givet hasnt played a minute for months (Moving Olsson to left wing and putting Givet at left back surely better option than Morris)

Apparently his after match comments were something along the lines of "If we had that support every week we'd be in the premier league"

Now, ill believe it when I hear it, but if he has actually come out with that.....wow, just wow.

Yes he did plus the comments Ive highlighted below.

You see it's the fans fault we're crap, for not turning up. Not his lack of competence.

Yes he did plus the comments Ive highlighted below.

You see it's the fans fault we're crap, for not turning up. Not his lack of competence.

It's all starting to sound familiar, just need a ban on protest banners and the club to declare war on the supporters be just like going back 12 months, a change or two in the cast but the old guard still in the shadows

Admit I was prepared to give him a chance (pending the "official line" circumstances of his appointment being true) but he has certainly been coming out with some crackers recently, combined with familar avoiding scoring tactics and performances on the pitch think my misplaced optimism as been well and truly shot to pieces only one ray of hope was Kamy's comments on the recent podcast about behind the scenes trying to repair the deliberate dismamtleing that had gone on under Agnews buddy

• Backroom

Again ill stress I have liked what he has done off the pitch but enough is enough and the fact that against 10 men we didn't make the opposition defend for 25 minutes says more about his tactics than any bad run.

I'm still not sure sacking him now is the answer unless we are confident of a real replacement and not another Shebby and Shagnew game of pick a name out of the phone book.

As an aside maybe he'd make a great director of football one day but tactically he is sadly inept

It is no good looking at this in a logical point of view. What needs to be taken into consideration is the people and the process which would oversee his replacement. Logic does not apply to them and as such the logical solutions would not be overlooked. An experienced manager was required after Kean and we got Berg and then Appleton. There is no reason to suspect we'd get one now either.

So what, we should be happy with Appleton, even though the best we can hope for under him is not getting relegated?

Just because there's a good chance we'd just get another inexperienced manager anyway? Who knows, the next one might be half-decent....even if he's slightly better it would still be worthwhile.

I have to admit, I didn't realise what such a big job and how difficult the job is here at Rovers. We can blame Berg and Appleton for being rubbish managers but we aren't a short term fix regardless of who's in charge. I do agree that an experienced manager would probably have us safely in midtable but this is a longer term project.

No point sacking the manager, more change, more upheaval and probably another inexperienced manager. At least Appleton is putting in some structure behind the scenes and has set the wheels moving to rectify 2 years of chaos. That has to be in place before things can move forward on the pitch.

So far, though, absolutely dire.

I have to admit, I didn't realise what such a big job and how difficult the job is here at Rovers. We can blame Berg and Appleton for being rubbish managers but we aren't a short term fix regardless of who's in charge. I do agree that an experienced manager would probably have us safely in midtable but this is a longer term project.

No point sacking the manager, more change, more upheaval and probably another inexperienced manager. At least Appleton is putting in some structure behind the scenes and has set the wheels moving to rectify 2 years of chaos. That has to be in place before things can move forward on the pitch.

We looked set for a play off push minimum after Bowyer's stint in charge.

Appleton has turned us into looking like stone cold certs for relegation from an unassailable position in that respect.

Apart from the dreaded 'D' word, he doesn't say a lot wrong.

If anything he's spot on in when he says that under normal circumstances Kean would have been sacked and was instead backed. Which is what caused the problems.

Not sure what that video has to do with Appleton though.

agree with ur post Rovers11

Apart from the dreaded 'D' word, he doesn't say a lot wrong.

If anything he's spot on in when he says that under normal circumstances Kean would have been sacked and was instead backed. Which is what caused the problems.

Not sure what that video has to do with Appleton though.

Well as the interview is from today you have to say a parallel will be drawn to the situation that Appleton is in.

For me Appleton is really struggling to setup the team in a way that creates chances, despite having a set of attacking players which are more than decent for the division. Only a matter of time till he goes for me.

What structure is this?

Just a load of mates brought in at his behest, the exact changes that Berg wasn't allowed to make.

Also, if these structural changes were so positive we'd see evidence of it where it counts, on the pitch. Set pieces are woeful, half the squad are injured, there is no pattern of play and the player recruitment is sh1te.

Jesus wept, the guy exudes cluelessness and is now on phase 2, alienating the fanbase.

They say there's none so blind as those that cannot see, that phrase could've been made for some rovers fans.

Archived