BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Appleton Sacked

Paul

Happy Appy Sacked   

411 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with Appleton being sacked today?

• Yes
    • Don't Care
    • No

What the hell did they expect bringing an inexperienced man in, for him to work miracles and get us promoted in half a season?. Appleton needed more time but yet again they've sacked another manager prematurely.

There's some very good managers out of work at the moment and my picks would be Brian McDermott and Nigel Adkins, but what's the betting we go down the bald, inexperienced with a p1ss poor cv route yet again.

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That didn't help but they got rid of the players who would have walked this league leaving the current shower.

I agree with that to an extent but I think Appleton was too hasty getting rid of Rochina. We needed at least one player of that ilk.

Ok so Appleton was appearantly not up to the job......but who was responsible for appointing him ?

surely some responsibility must be taken by the person(s) making the appointment...if Appleton was not good enough, then the persons appointing him are not as well. They should do the honorable thing and resign themselves !

How he got the job in the first place is still pretty unknown. I've seen two theories posted on here:

- Someone advised Balaji (an agency? or individual?) to appoint Appleton, the decision was made and the board had no impact on the decision. They were just told to approach and appoint.

- Shaw and Agnew knew him from their Preston days, they pushed for the club to appoint him.

Which one is correct?

Sorry Rev but you're also living in cloud cuckoo land if you think they'll get this one right, I'd bet my morgage on them getting it wrong, very wrong.

I've already said I've no real confidence in them getting the next one right. If the selection criteria for the last 2 are anything to go by, look for someone who has just started their managerial career and has made a poor start.

However that in itself is not a reason for leaving someone that clearly isn't working in charge.

Well that's a surprise, even at Rovers.

Given he seemed to be the owners appointment (not Shagnew/Singh) I'm shocked they've given him so little time. Regardless of results given that this was their appointment I'd have thought they'd give him until the summer at least.

That he was sacked given he was the owners/someone close to them's choice it raises a big question of WHY? And it can't be because of results because as we saw with Kean and Sam what happens on the field is irrelevant.

Personally despite being optimistic at the start I was beginning to have major reservations about Appleton. His tactics and comments in the last few games have been utterly naive at best. Equally his signings were less than inspiring.

Having said that I'm disappointed he's gone. Why? Because:

• off the field we were getting a semblance of structure
  • he identified what was wrong with the club (even if it was obvious)
  • he got Dann and Hanley to improve
  • he got rid of Murphy
  • he sidelined Shabby
  • he had a game plan.

None of which we had prior to Appleton. But the biggest reason why, even though I don't think he's up to it is that I cannot see Venkeys appointing anyone better. In light of this despite poor performances of late I think Appleton was our best chance of success. Not good I grant you, in fact pretty slim, but a damn sight better than Berg and Kean.

Certainly waiting till the summer would have at least given more of an indication of whether these encouragements were a false dawn or whether he is pretty useless. Sacking then would have been a lot less risky.

Lets hope your grandma picks the next manager because you're going to get more of the same, and Danny Murphy walking around the midfield picking up his wages and his WAG taunting you on twatter or whatever its keaning called.

Why not just answer the question Gav? What has you so impressed by Appleton and what will we be missing?

There was no point politely limping along to relegation. The form guide should give you a clue, we cannot score against anyone and we have been plummeting down the league table.

A toast once again to the FA and their policy of carefully reviewing potential owners and placing us in the care of Venkys.

Not really the FA's fault, Venky's passed their criteria for ownership.

The people who really had the chance to investigate Venky's fully from top to bottom (and who were legally responsible for the wellbeing of Jack's businesses) were the Walker Trustees and their advisors.

Talksport ( well Richard keys ) claiming the decision to sack Appleton wasnt anything to do with shebby?? Not saying I believe it however Richard keys is pally with shebby?

Although Appleton probably wasn't the right man, sacking him now when he hasn't had a full pre-season and chance to bring his own players in is ludicrous. Anybody thinking Adkins and co would take this job are off there head. No decent manager would touch this club. It's ok giving it to bowyer til end of season but my worry is they will drag there heals appointing a new manager and not give him enough time to make the team his own.

Thing is I don't buy the relegation reason for the sacking. Under Appleton we'd have scabbed enough draws and maybe a 1-0 win or two to stay up. Sure we're poor, but the odds of 7-9 teams doing better than us is very slim. In fact looking at fixture lists and the like I'm pretty sure it's nigh on impossible for us to get relegated.

However, if we take away the organization under Appleton and moral drops lower... goodness Venkeys are trying to do everything to get us relegated.

Anyone else wondering how Kean could manage to stay in his job for the length of time he did? It's the only thing he could manage in his time here whereas his two successors have only been given a tiny amount of time.

People wouldn't care at all about the sacking, IF there was even a remote change we'd get someone more suitable in. We'll just get another no-mark in though ZzZzZzZzZzZzzzz

Almost at the point of not bothering anymore now. As soon as I got the 'Appleton's gone' text this morning I wasn't even slightly surprised, or particularly bothered.

Venky's have made a complete mess of running the Club not least of which is a string of disastrous managerial appointments. If they finally get one right we might at least be able to start taking a few steps forward again.

What makes you think they will get one right Rev? Shebby, the man linked with Judan Ali, is back at the helm. Does that seriously fill you with confidence? They are losing millions and the longer they own us that loss is only going to grow. Eventually they will cut and run but where the club will be at that time is anybody's guess. Whoever comes in during the summer will be working with a shoestring budget as most of the parachute payments will have gone to cover the ever increasing losses.

How he got the job in the first place is still pretty unknown. I've seen two theories posted on here:

- Someone advised Balaji (an agency? or individual?) to appoint Appleton, the decision was made and the board had no impact on the decision. They were just told to approach and appoint.

- Shaw and Agnew knew him from their Preston days, they pushed for the club to appoint him.

Which one is correct?

Perhaps they both are if you take a person from no 1 also talking to a person in no 2, just speculating

Thing is I don't buy the relegation reason for the sacking. Under Appleton we'd have scabbed enough draws and maybe a 1-0 win or two to stay up. Sure we're poor, but the odds of 7-9 teams doing better than us is very slim. In fact looking at fixture lists and the like I'm pretty sure it's nigh on impossible for us to get relegated.

You can't be serious surely? Have you seen the form guide? EVERYONE is doing better than us!!!!! I'd say there's a very good chance indeed that we're going down.

What makes you think they will get one right Rev? Shebby, the man linked with Judan Ali, is back at the helm. Does that seriously fill you with confidence? They are losing millions and the longer they own us that loss is only going to grow. Eventually they will cut and run but where the club will be at that time is anybody's guess. Whoever comes in during the summer will be working with a shoestring budget as most of the parachute payments will have gone to cover the ever increasing losses.

What you say may well come to fruition eventually but regardless of that Appleton was clearly not the man and a disastrous appointment.

The amount of hypocrisy surrounding the Appleton sacking is astounding. Savage now blasting the decision to sack Appleton. The other day he tweeted what a bad appointment he had turned out to be. If you don't think a manager is good enough then why say it's ludicrous to sack him after 2 months? I thought Berg was useless so was pleased when he got the bullet. I think Appleton has done ok and would have been good long term which is why I am disappointed he's gone.

Although I didn't agree with a lot of people saying on here last week that Appleton should be sacked, at least those same people are not bleating on about what a ludicrous decision it is to sack him!

You can't be serious surely? Have you seen the form guide? EVERYONE is doing better than us!!!!! I'd say there's a very good chance indeed that we're going down.

Up until Appleton going, yes, I thought we had a more than decent chance of staying up, Granted we were on a bad run but I genuinely thought that under Appleton we'd stay up with grim football getting enough 0-0s and 1-0s to get over the finish line. See the relegation thread for a more detailed explanation of why.

Anyhow that's academic now. He isn't there and who knows what effect this will have on the playing staff?

However, if we take away the organization under Appleton and moral drops lower... goodness Venkeys are trying to do everything to get us relegated.

Hello. Hello.......9/10 clubs have already caught us up and gone past us

Can we have a poll?

Agree with the sacking

Disagree with the sacking

A poll?? Some can't make up their mind day to day.

he's crap, he's the next best thing, he's crap, he's the next best thing, give him time, I'm fed up with this, it's not his fault the poor ickle thing, he's crap, give him time

Archived