BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Appleton Sacked

Paul

Happy Appy Sacked   

411 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with Appleton being sacked today?

• Yes
    • Don't Care
    • No

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't understand comments about the timing being poor etc. Were we meant to risk waiting until we dropped into the bottom three with a couple of games to go then give someone else the unenviable task of sorting it out?

I'm surprised at the outrage as well. I was under the impression almost everybody wanted Appleton gone.

Having been initially impressed with his approach to the task, I had become incredibly concerned about his football philosophy. In fact, I think most of my faith evaporated with his "keep it tight and hope for the rub of the green" comment following the dire draw at Millwall.

Nothing wrong with wanting to keep it tight but Appleton didn't seem to think we were doing much wrong in terms of our approach going forward. His bizarre comments about the fans wanting the ball direct but the players having to be patient tipped me into losing faith in him.

As I said earlier, I think this is the right decision but perhaps for the wrong reasons (i.e. if Shebby is getting involved again).

Well, only after being informed he wasn't part of the manager's plans.

He'd been part of the managers plans for 18 months and still couldn't string a couple of keaning passes together.

Self preservation society coming out fighting ? The food fight in the boardroom to see who gets the trifle begins again

agnew told sky he wasn't aware of the sacking yet he was in the office last nite with other directors discussing who delivers the news

Leaving aside the second part of that allegation which may or may not be correct if Agnew did indeed tell Sky he wasn't aware of what's going on, what's the point in having a Director who'd be unaware of something like that? I've asked this question on several occasions before but what does Agnew even do at Ewood Park on a day to day basis? He didn't appear to play any active role in the appointment of the last 2 managers either. Or in anything else for that matter.

Nice work if you can get it, a directorship for doing absolutely nothing.

All that said, someone I know who's a longstanding fan knows Agnew and swears by him. "One of the good guys" according to him and he was delighted when PA was inexplicably elevated to Boardroom status.

After Arsenal everything has gone south. Its a results business, and while there were hopeful signs, the football was awful and clearly the players were not happy. We have not had a proper manager since Allardyce and although it looks like there was minimum interference this time, the whole set up looked like amateur hour. Only choice. GET A PROPER MANAGER leave him with money and leave him alone. Adkins would do. Maybe even Hughes. You only need to look at Forest to see what happens when you make the right choice.

Wasn't a case of wanting out once he heard of Zaragoza's interest? In the Rovers team or not, surely he would be mad to turn down a chance to play in La Liga?

Doesn't seem to figure much in Spain. Four starts, three sub outings, never completed 90 minutes in any game and has yet to score with his team just one place above the relegation zone. It would appear that the show pony struggles no matter where he plays. We will do well to get any sort of fee for him.

I can understand the lad wanting to leave because he is simply not cut out for the Championship. Personally, I thought Formica and Vukcevic were more suited to English football and neither of them really made much impact. The foreign experiment simply didn't work particularly once we were relegated.

Doesn't seem to figure much in Spain. Four starts, three sub outings, never completed 90 minutes in any game and has yet to score with his team just one place above the relegation zone. It would appear that the show pony struggles no matter where he plays. We will do well to get any sort of fee for him.

I can understand the lad wanting to leave because he is simply not cut out for the Championship. Personally, I thought Formica and Vukcevic were more suited to English football and neither of them really made much impact. The foreign experiment simply didn't work particularly once we were relegated.

You seem to have a real problem with Rochina. I think he's our best attacking player behind Rhodes. We'll never agree on that, so might as well leave it at that.

However even you can't deny that replacing the foreign legion hasn't worked can you? Even Formica who I only rated as being average was a lot better than Bentley on his performances to date.

Leaving aside the second part of that allegation which may or may not be correct if Agnew did indeed tell Sky he wasn't aware of what's going on, what's the point in having a Director who'd be unaware of something like that? I've asked this question on several occasions before but what does Agnew even do at Ewood Park on a day to day basis? He didn't appear to play any active role in the appointment of the last 2 managers either. Or in anything else for that matter.

Nice work if you can get it, a directorship for doing absolutely nothing.

All that said, someone I know who's a longstanding fan knows Agnew and swears by him. "One of the good guys" according to him and he was delighted when PA was inexplicably elevated to Boardroom status.

I was speaking to the Sky reporter at Ewood this afternoon off camera whilst they were setting up, I asked the reporter, Peter Stevenson if their had been official word from the club. Peter informed me that they had rung Paul Agnew and he claimed he was unaware the sacking had happened, and that they were expecting something official from Derek Shaw later this afternoon.

Regarding the other part of it, Paul Agnew was certainly in the meeting at Ewood last night, with the other directors and Ian Sylvestor discussing the departure. Anyone who was at Ewood last night will understand why thier was a fleet of cars parked behind the statue around 4-5pm, this is because of the meeting taking place to make this decision.

I was speaking to the Sky reporter at Ewood this afternoon off camera whilst they were setting up, I asked the reporter, Peter Stevenson if their had been official word from the club. Peter informed me that they had rung Paul Agnew and he claimed he was unaware the sacking had happened, and that they were expecting something official from Derek Shaw later this afternoon.

Regarding the other part of it, Paul Agnew was certainly in the meeting at Ewood last night, with the other directors and Ian Sylvestor discussing the departure. Anyone who was at Ewood last night will understand why thier was a fleet of cars parked behind the statue around 4-5pm, this is because of the meeting taking place to make this decision.

Well that's not what you said in your tweets at all. You inferred in them that Agnew was claiming he didn't know Appleton was being sacked per se.

From what you say there he knew about the upcoming sacking just wasn't aware that it had already been formally announced.

And that's not me being an apologist for Agnew. I don't think he should be in his current role at all.

Well that's not what you said in your tweets at all. You inferred in them that Agnew was claiming he didn't know Appleton was being sacked per se.

From what you say there he knew about the upcoming sacking just wasn't aware that it had already been formally announced.

And that's not me being an apologist for Agnew. I don't think he should be in his current role at all.

Sky rang Agnew and Agnew said that he knew nothing of the sacking, Sky then rang Derek Shaw and were told he would do something official with/for them later today. Agnew did claim that he did not know anything of the sacking when contacted today.

• Backroom

Have they interviewed fans yet on sky?

I hope they give John Waring a ring again for a balanced eloquent view

Get on blower to em John!

Archived