BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Protest: Good Friday v Blackpol

Glenn Pegden mentioned a paper bag protest last year one time as something that had been done in America

Whilst it would look good if a lot did it there's a good chance of it ending up like the balloon protest that time

I mentioned it at the time as there was talk of picketing games and it was my way of saying "I support what you're trying to do, but there is no way on earth you're stopping me going to games". In the end I did the "my presence here is not an indication of support for the owners, the managers, or those dark forces damaging this once great club" T-Shirts.

The reason I went for T-Shirts in the end is you have no idea just how hard it is to source US style grocery bags (the bag of choice for US protests) in the UK and figured I didn't want a a string of "asphyxiation with an Aldi carrier bag" deaths on my conscience.

You can get 'anonymous' masks(aka Guy Fawkes/v for vendetta style) very cheap of amazon(and stores all over the place).

I already have one of those thanks from a previous ... erm .... protest ;)http://www.twitpic.com/9xl6yg/full

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that I think a protest will do any good but you are clearly too close. You need to step back and see the full picture.

This is not about a win on Friday. Yes, we need points to avoid relegation but Gary Bowyer has already said he doesn't want the job. In any case, we are STUCK with Venkys for the foreseeable future. So even if we avoid relegation this season, there is a very good chance we will be relegated next season instead. Until Venkys leave, we are not going to improve.

Your ability to wipe away the memories of the last 2 years and instead focus on what has happened in the last couple of weeks is to your credit but don't expect people to blindly obey. After all, we are all thick malcontents b******ing about "backing the wrong horse" and planning protests over the sackings of rubbish managers - nothing at all to do with the imbeciles who keep hiring them.

What exactly, out of ANYTHING that Venkys have done, gives you the slightest impression that we will have a "decent shot at promotion next season"?

No, seriously, I want to know. I don't mean to sound harsh.

That argument seemed to weave around a bit so I'll just respond to each point. Yes protesting won't do any good, a pretty solid first reason for not having one. If we need points to avoid relegation then winning is too important to ignore. Surely you have to read between the lines on Bowyer's comment about not wanting the job. He said that because he knew they didn't want to give it him, even if he's reluctant then another successful spell and multiplying his wage by about 10 would definitely change his mind. How does that work that we won't improve under Venkys? This season we've got worse from Kean to Black, then worse from Black to Berg, then better from Berg to Bowyer, then worse from Bowyer to Appleton. Venkys turn it into an uphill struggle, but they don't make improvement impossible.

Wiping away 2 years of memories and focusing on the last couple of weeks is exactly what fans did when Berg and Appleton were appointed. The "shut up and get behind him" atmosphere was incredibly strong on here at the time, especially under Berg where even voicing some concern at his record was met with aggression. I'm not asking people to do anything they haven't already done this season. I'm saying they seem to pick and choose when to do it, and pick and choose precisely the wrong times.

As for a shot at promotion next season, Venkys have done nothing except funnel some of the money they've made into signing Jordan Rhodes. The reason I think we can challenge for promotion is under a good manager Dann and Hanley can be the best centre half pairing in the league, Olsson can be the best left back, Murphy, Dunn and Lowe can be a competent midfield, Pedersen can be decent on the left, and Rhodes and Best can be a decent strike partnership. Fans have gotten way too carried away with labelling our team rubbish, whilst ignoring that it has been managed by a succession of awful managers. Give it a good manager and see what happens, or better still look at what happened under Kean/Black/Bowyer this season. 30 points from 16 games.

That argument seemed to weave around a bit so I'll just respond to each point. Yes protesting won't do any good, a pretty solid first reason for not having one. If we need points to avoid relegation then winning is too important to ignore. Surely you have to read between the lines on Bowyer's comment about not wanting the job. He said that because he knew they didn't want to give it him, even if he's reluctant then another successful spell and multiplying his wage by about 10 would definitely change his mind. How does that work that we won't improve under Venkys? This season we've got worse from Kean to Black, then worse from Black to Berg, then better from Berg to Bowyer, then worse from Bowyer to Appleton. Venkys turn it into an uphill struggle, but they don't make improvement impossible.

Wiping away 2 years of memories and focusing on the last couple of weeks is exactly what fans did when Berg and Appleton were appointed. The "shut up and get behind him" atmosphere was incredibly strong on here at the time, especially under Berg where even voicing some concern at his record was met with aggression. I'm not asking people to do anything they haven't already done this season. I'm saying they seem to pick and choose when to do it, and pick and choose precisely the wrong times.

As for a shot at promotion next season, Venkys have done nothing except funnel some of the money they've made into signing Jordan Rhodes. The reason I think we can challenge for promotion is under a good manager Dann and Hanley can be the best centre half pairing in the league, Olsson can be the best left back, Murphy, Dunn and Lowe can be a competent midfield, Pedersen can be decent on the left, and Rhodes and Best can be a decent strike partnership. Fans have gotten way too carried away with labelling our team rubbish, whilst ignoring that it has been managed by a succession of awful managers. Give it a good manager and see what happens, or better still look at what happened under Kean/Black/Bowyer this season. 30 points from 16 games.

Fair points - although the 'get behind them' mentality from the 'true fans' is not something I could be accused of personally (and no that's not a dig at you either). There does however seem to be an acquiescence about 'getting behind Bowyer' in much the same way, when there's no guarantee he won't turn out to be the wrong horse too. Yes he had a good start last time out but so did Berg and Appleton.

Hopefully Bowyer can come good but I'm afraid you too are guilty of picking and choosing because he doesn't have the prerequisite experience either. It's another gamble.

Venkys have time and again baulked at doing what needs to be done bringing in an experienced, credible manager. It's happened too many times to be anything other than deliberate. For this reason I vote no confidence in Venkys and say that they must go before we can rebuild. Even as recently as this evening we are still hearing the same platitudes from Balaji and Singh. Nothing is changing and nothing will IMHO.

I don't think we have the best defence or strike force in the league but without a midfield it almost doesn't matter. We are 18th in the league on merit. Without a proper manager or a novice (who is doing things in the right way) being given time we don't have a chance. We assume if course, too, that failure to be promoted (as Balaji, in denial mode, reminds us is still possible - hoho) won't result in our better players being sold off to make ends meet.

Protesting has proved futile; takeover talks impotent. We have the most stupid, ignorant, arrogant, defiant owners in football, and the FA won't intervene so we are stuck with them.

But let's not pretend that with a bit of 'getting behind Bowyer' this will change. It's just a case of biding our time and hoping for the best. Losing a couple of million pounds a month and the attendances shrinking at a similar rate. I cannot put any faith in Venkys, I'm surprised you can.

Quite agree. They obsess over the next 3 points and utterly fail to see the bigger, long-term picture.

Do you believe that another relegation would get rid of Venky's? I get the impression some do. Some of us thought that relegation would get rid of them last time. But neither they nor us have the slightest clue what they'd do.

A League 1 team with less than 10,000 attendees and players on big wages? Who would buy us then? Probably the same kind of people who bought Portsmouth.

We don't know what the bigger, long-term picture is. Personally, I hope we stay in this division, and then eventually try and get promoted under Venky's. When they eventually do leave, I want to be in as high as a position as possible.

Well I'm not protesting. I don't mean to sound harsh but are people thick or what?

Never underestimate just how many thick people are out there.

So by definition Neal you are quite happty about the direction the club is going in?

A League 1 team with less than 10,000 attendees and players on big wages? Who would buy us then? Probably the same kind of people who bought Portsmouth.

You're getting your timings off. The had multiple owners in the PL and Championship. (Whilst they still had some value!) Now they are in League One, their Trust are trying to buy them. The problem is the previous owner is holding our for as much money as he can - using their stadium as a bargaining chip,

One thing you should realise on this message board mate is you will be rounded upon lie a pack of wolves for thinking'positive'.Not sacking kean at the end of last season was the biggest mistake however the appointment of berg was seen as a step forward in bringing a 'connection' back to the club.Appleton seemed a big mistake and had to go.Staying up will see us with theRIGHT appointment and whoever it is WILL be given funds to strengthen.Venkys I'm sure will eventually come good IF they have learnt from their mistakes and that's why il be supporting my team for 90 min like I have all season.LOYALTY brings reward!.

I admire anyone's faith in these imbeciles making the right appointment in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

I'd compare it to the flat earth society

il look forward to this time next year and remind you of how staying loyal brought reward!.150 companies with no bad reputation so this 'company is bound to come good!.

• Backroom

il look forward to this time next year and remind you of how staying loyal brought reward!.150 companies with no bad reputation so this 'company is bound to come good!.

How many of those companies have anything to do with sport, let alone football? EVERYTHING they've done (well, apart from the sackings of the last 2 managers) has been to the detriment of the club. What they have torn to shreds over 2 years was a project that started about3/4 years before I was even born (1991).

A stopped clock is right twice a day, but Venkys have an even worse record than that!

Re: your positivity post earlier: It isn't the positivity in general that winds people up; it's the positivity that is devoid of all logic that iritates people.

How anyone can come to that conclusion is beyond me. In over 50 years of following the Rovers this is undoubtedly the lowest point. The clowns who own us have done nothing to suggest that the have a clue how to improve the situation. And before you lambast me for not supporting the team I'm at every game - home and away - supporting the players but I could never support the owners or the likes of Singh, Agnew and Shaw who I hold responsible for the destruction of the club which I have followed for so long. Until the Indians depart this club is only going one way and it isn't up!

Ok then know alls...venkys sell up we have new owners but won't bankroll the club for new players etc(fact)or venkys appoint the RIGHT man and bankroll us for promotion?...your choice and please don't drag up the past just answer the question and before you do if we have owners with no money or ambition we will never ever get back to the prem.... The choice is yours.

Either way he's a plant!

Can't help but think he's smoking one.

Ok then know alls...venkys sell up we have new owners but won't bankroll the club for new players etc(fact)or venkys appoint the RIGHT man and bankroll us for promotion?...your choice and please don't drag up the past just answer the question and before you do if we have owners with no money or ambition we will never ever get back to the prem.... The choice is yours.

How is it a fact they won't bankroll things??? Been checking your crystal ball???

You're dead right it's everyones choice and given whats gone on no-one can blame anyone for their actions in regards to Rovers. Personnally I'd take owners without a pot to @#/? in, over owners who @#/? where they like and slip in it all the way to League 1. We'll judge on what we know and see and so far we're making Pompey look good.

I should listen to my own advice but hey ho WUM's are fun.

You really are clueless and not just a WUM aren't you.

Can't help but think he's smoking one.

How is it a fact they won't bankroll things??? Been checking your crystal ball???

You're dead right it's everyones choice and given whats gone on no-one can blame anyone for their actions in regards to Rovers. Personnally I'd take owners without a pot to @#/? in, over owners who @#/? where they like and slip in it all the way to League 1. We'll judge on what we know and see and so far we're making Pompey look good.

I should listen to my own advice but hey ho WUM's are fun.

you can't bankroll a club unless you have more than30 k fans and young quality players to sell every season lik the walker trust did under John Williams ... Answer the question please.

you can't bankroll a club unless you have more than30 k fans and young quality players to sell every season lik the walker trust did under John Williams ... Answer the question please.

Happy - see where you are coming from, and we could go from frying pan to fire - however my concern is the lack of trust in our owners that they will bank roll us anyway. This season they have just increased our debt - when I see something saying debt has been converted to shares (similar to what Jack did) - then I might start to think they are bank rolling us rather than just getting us further into debt. Bottom line - there is no trust in the owners motives - as fans we need something tangible to prove they are genuine, and the only tangible proof we have at the moment is that they don't know what they are doing.

I think SS said something along the lines of judging the financial state by looking at the assets and we are ok asset wise. A bit worrying because you can read it as we are ok with running up debts because we can sell assets to cover them, thing is that day will loom sooner or later !

Archived