BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Berg at the High Court

Very appropriate first quote in your sig Glenn, never noticed that before :)

It's been there for around 18 months and either nobody noticed or nobody cared (oh and there is some debate over whether it really was Voltaire or not).

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A point to note , an advancement on next years paracute payments was requested to pay this Berg contract compensation .

This would point IMO to the well is dry , the accountants are certainly now looking at the clubs assets to debt ratio , whilst also looking over the books at other payments which have been paid out over the last 12 months which could be suspect .

A full internal investigation into payments , contracts is firmly underway and this could rumble on into the summer .

In the mean time we have toys being thrown which could halt much needed operating money appearing from India

I knew that 2K saving on chairs was too good to be true, usually 3.99 but acquired for the bargain price of 20.99 each much like many of our transfers and associated fees. :)

It's certainly the one theory that seems to fit the the utterly bizarre range of facts laid out before us.

Sorry, why does the shambolic state of affairs alleged by the Independent Article point to there being more than one owner of the Club?

Sorry, why does the shambolic state of affairs alleged by the Independent Article point to there being more than one owner of the Club?

Lets, look at the Rao's claim they didn't give Shaw the authority to agree contracts. This may or may not be true.

• If it was true (and they had full control), surely they'd just sack him. It's hardly being caught taking a box of paperclips home. Doing something like this is the grossest of gross misconduct.
  • If it wasn't true (and they had full control), they're presumably looking for a scape-goat to throw under the bus to save them some compo, in which case surely they'd sack him make it look more convincing? There is no logical benefit keeping him on in what is now presumably such an untenable position surely, especially when they've got a reason to get rid on a silver platter.

So, lets explore the other options.

They wanted to sack him (which fits with the gardening leave / investigation story), but he turns up in India and isn't sacked. I guess it's possible to win over Venky's by turning up on the doorstep, but it seems unlikely. They've done bloody well at avoiding everyone else that wants to talk to them, certainly it sounds like Appleton was unceremoniously removed without chance of a personal appeal. So, what's so special about Shaw and Kean that they seemed (assuming the press reports are correct) to get sacked, get a personal audience with Madame and then are un-sacked. It's possible I guess, but highly unlikely in my eyes.

Which leaves, they wanted to sack him, but for whatever reason, couldn't (not wouldn't) and that's not a scenario I want to consider (at least not publicly).

I should stress, I've met Derek Shaw on a couple of occasions and found him to be pleasant and charming, so I've no real desire to see him sacked (besides, he might take Gav's shelf away again if he goes ;) ). I just can't understand why Venky's would castrate him so publicly if they wanted him on their side, or not just get rid if they wanted rid.

... I should probably add, none of that is based on any evidence, other than newspaper reports and a healthy dose of logic. It could just be that Venky's are plain crazy (but I've always had my suspicions they're not).

I follow some of what you are saying Glenn, but surely if we are now actually attempting to argue in Court that Shaw did stuff without authority and is subject to disciplinary proceedings then it may be the case that we are simply not that far down the line in the disciplinary process and that the appropriate sanctions will in fact follow.

It would then follow by logical extension that whoever wrote the web site piece exonerating Shaw should be in hot water as well.

I share your view of Shaw on a personal level. I find it hard to believe he would do something so stupid/dodgy.

It seems to me with this case we're being badly advised by our Solicitors who have desperately tried to come up with something approaching a last minute defence and that we are just throwing good money after bad in legal costs on a case we've little chance of winning.

I don't follow the connection between all this and a presumption we've more than one owner though. I think Venky's are quite daft enough to blame Shaw in Court pleadings on one hand whilst assuring him face to face all is well and that the Court stuff doesn't really matter on the other.

Why haven't Shaw and Agnew been terminated if the article is true?

And no matter how one looks at it, if the article is even moderately attached to reality it should be proof positive that the club is a train-wreck enabled due to the [alleged] owners' failure to act responsibly.

And no matter how one looks at it, if the article is even moderately attached to reality it should be proof positive that the club is a train-wreck enabled due to the [alleged] owners' failure to act responsibly.

My guess is they're not willing to part with even more money in pay-off packages, knowing Shaw and Agnew they probably have contracts similar to Berg's and will have to be paid in full if sacked ;)

My guess is they're not willing to part with even more money in pay-off packages, knowing Shaw and Agnew they probably have contracts similar to Berg's and will have to be paid in full if sacked ;)

Gross misconduct though?

From day one of Venkys there has been dodgy stuff going on at Rovers, the whole Berg issue raises the same old questions and theories but one thing above all is bugging me more than anything and that's the fact we seemingly keep making the same mistakes (despite having dif people in charge) even though the owners themselves highlighted them over a year ago..

It is also worth noting that we have a new legal team just as the case reaches trial (the old one having been involved in writing up the contract or at least checking it) and Karen Silk would of been involved in the contract for Berg as well, yet just as the Shaw stuff comes to light she jumps ship.

Every time I think things can't get any worse Venkys pipe up and mess something else up.. no one can be that consistently rubbish.

Personally I think it's time we started to look at the one thing that has been at Rovers through all of this and that's Agnew, for a guy who could not get a perm job at Rovers in all his years working with the club why was he promoted multiple times, what involvement has he had in contracts, what involvement did he have in the purchase of Rovers in the first place, what involvement has he had in transfers, what advise has he given to Venkys and why the hell do they seemingly trust him so much..

To quote Agnew from April 2011 (not long before his PR attacks on the fans).. “I’ve championed the cause for making sure the communications are bob on because I think that is critical - internal communication at Ewood, communication between the owners and Ewood, communication with the fans."

Can we come up with a name for the 'mystery owner' of Rovers.

My suggestion is ' The Shadow '

Unfortunately already in use for the snake half of Shagnew, So how about Semtaro that's a pretty non offensive, non descript name and doesn't point to anybody in particular, conjures up images of a James bond type villain

Unfortunately already in use for the snake half of Shagnew, So how about Semtaro that's a pretty non offensive, non descript name and doesn't point to anybody in particular, conjures up images of a James bond type villain

+100

A point to note , an advancement on next years paracute payments was requested to pay this Berg contract compensation .

This would point IMO to the well is dry , the accountants are certainly now looking at the clubs assets to debt ratio , whilst also looking over the books at other payments which have been paid out over the last 12 months which could be suspect .

A full internal investigation into payments , contracts is firmly underway and this could rumble on into the summer .

In the mean time we have toys being thrown which could halt much needed operating money appearing from India

Requested by whom Glen?

If the well is dry AND Venkys are staying we are well in the mire!

This is the ideal opportunity to add fuel to the fire. If the Trust has a slight opening, then they should let Desai know what her crew are up to while she is busy feeding the chickens.

Its a bloody farce imo, that the 2 usless idiots are still allowed to remain in charge, while screwing up on a regular basis. This article should be sent to all media outlets across the world.

Ridiculous situation imo, and Venkys should make a decision re Shagnew

Just for posterity (in case it vanishes)

http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/owners-respond-to-berg-rumours-762315.aspx

The owners wish to make it clear that the club's lawyers are actively seeking agreement with Mr Berg on the settlement of his contract. They also wish it to be known that a £500,000 instalment has already been paid to Mr Berg.

Additionally, the owners would like to state that there is no investigation into this matter with regard to managing director Derek Shaw who continues to have their complete backing and support.

Guest Norbert

Can we come up with a name for the 'mystery owner' of Rovers.

My suggestion is ' The Shadow '

Screw Every Move, or SEM for short.

The owners wish to make it clear that the club's lawyers are actively seeking agreement with Mr Berg on the settlement of his contract. They also wish it to be known that a £500,000 instalment has already been paid to Mr Berg.

Additionally, the owners would like to state that there is no investigation into this matter with regard to managing director Derek Shaw who continues to have their complete backing and support.

Perhaps there isn't...with one of our owners.

The statement just gets crazier every time you read it.

On a brighter note, this could precipitate the 'end-game'.

If the court rule for Henning Berg (as seems likely) the Venkys have already said in their case for the defence that Shaw has acted beyond his remit and is therefore under internal disciplinary investigation. He will very likely be sacked, and hopefully sued as an individual by Venkys for the losses incurred directly as a result of his negligence.

If the Venky defence case is shown in a judgement to be prejudiced by the contradictory statement of 'full owners support' via the club website, as is suggested in the Independant article, (and the statement is somehow either directly traceable to the Operations Director, or has been placed with his knowledge ) then the local management team cannot remain. If they do remain, then Venkys run a very high risk of being in contempt of court, or are committing perjury!

The Independant suggests that Venkys claim is that the local management are solely responsible for additional liabilities of £800k having unilaterally altered contractual terms. They simply cannot allow the UK board to continue to work on their behalf (if they ever did) and while the potential media reporting of the failed chain of command back in India is likely to be damaging enough, it wouldnt be half as bad as the reputation hit if everything was left as it is.

Many posters here have said that the most likely route to Venkys baling out of Rovers is when events at the club start to damage the reputation of its core business.....its about to happen ....Bring it on!.

“The assertion in round terms is that the contract that was entered into was one that was authorised by the club’s shareholders and was entered into in terms that differ significantly from those that had previously been approved by the majority shareholders."

If I'm reading this right the Majority shareholders are Venkys? is it something like 98% they apparently own , begs the question which of the clubs "other" shareholders made the decision on the contract, that's a very powerful minority shareholding. Thought it was just a few shares owned by Blackburn council and a few individuals

Archived