Conner

Edwards

Riberio

Urwin

Usai

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on! a third of those players are just young developing players(probably being paid basic youth/reserve player rates.

Got to agree there mate, although only a third was being generous its closer to half of the players listed being youth players or at least very young in footballing terms. However IMO that's way way to much competition for young lads to break through. We really do need to ship out some of the dross but who will take them off our hands.

£100 pw Maji.....a friend is a scholar at Sheffield Utd and its basic at that with bonus if you get to u21 squad and make appearances....unless you are a wonder kid obviously.

Aye sounds right for that level IE league one scholar IE youth team, but what price some of the young pro's etc at rovers. Car park should tell you all you need to know.

I've been told Cotton for example gets 5K a week.

Aye sounds right for that level IE league one scholar IE youth team, but what price some of the young pro's etc at rovers. Car park should tell you all you need to know.

I've been told Cotton for example gets 5K a week.

Sweet baby Jesus!! We really do deserve all we get don't we! That is unbelievable.

Sweet baby Jesus!! We really do deserve all we get don't we! That is unbelievable.

Everton and liverpools academies car park are littered with 60K-200K cars and they're not the staffs (mainly). What price anton Forrester? He won't have moved for less than he was on....

It all adds up and our wage bill must be frightening, Edwards, O'connell etc etc must all be on 3K+ a week.

Pennies and pounds and all that.

Recognised quality?! These players nearly got us relegated to lge 1!

Players like Murphy and Olsson were once very good players but have gone backwards in a big way. No loss.

Taylor, DJ, kilgallon, Spearing (if he signs) and Kane will improve our team next season.

This is a disagreement I've had countless times but no they didn't in my opinion, Berg and Appleton nearly got us relegated to League 1. Our players, under the bog standard management of Kean, Black and Bowyer, would have nearly got us promoted.

I agree on Murphy, he'd got to the age where attitude is the main factor, and his attitude was terrible. Olsson is just unhappy, a state which I'd hoped he could be shaken out of under a stable manager moving us in the right direction. I seriously doubt he's actually got worse, and by the looks of it Norwich seriously doubt that as well.

The internal world of football rates Olsson, thats why a mid-table PL club came in for him. Who did we have to fight off for Taylor, Campbell, Kilgallon, Judge, Marrow, Green etc? Nobody. What did they cost? Pretty much nothing. There's a good reason for both these things, on the whole they're not rated by the hundreds of managers/scouts/coaches in english football.

Under good owners you trust transfers are being made for football reasons and if you've a good manager then you can trust him to make the right ones. This is a cost cutting exercise where transfers are being made for financial reasons and Bowyer is no Allardyce, he will struggle to compensate.

Under good owners you trust transfers are being made for football reasons and if you've a good manager then you can trust him to make the right ones. This is a cost cutting exercise where transfers are being made for financial reasons and Bowyer is no Allardyce, he will struggle to compensate.

Bowyer seems like a decent coach. A quiet man who prefers to stay out of the spotlight. Allardyce was a leader and imo thats what all teams need.

...... I can only remember one successful manager who was uneasy and even awkward in front of the press and who preferred to keep a low profile........ and he won the bloody WC!

This is a disagreement I've had countless times but no they didn't in my opinion, Berg and Appleton nearly got us relegated to League 1. Our players, under the bog standard management of Kean, Black and Bowyer, would have nearly got us promoted.

I agree on Murphy, he'd got to the age where attitude is the main factor, and his attitude was terrible. Olsson is just unhappy, a state which I'd hoped he could be shaken out of under a stable manager moving us in the right direction. I seriously doubt he's actually got worse, and by the looks of it Norwich seriously doubt that as well.

The internal world of football rates Olsson, thats why a mid-table PL club came in for him. Who did we have to fight off for Taylor, Campbell, Kilgallon, Judge, Marrow, Green etc? Nobody. What did they cost? Pretty much nothing. There's a good reason for both these things, on the whole they're not rated by the hundreds of managers/scouts/coaches in english football.

Kane - Bringing a right back for the season - who performed admirably last season for nothing. On top of that, he looked like a player constantly improving and could be a real coup if the trend continues. He also keeps Orr out of the team who was a signing made for financial reasons when replacing Salgado

Kilgallon - Bringing in a left sided centre back who has played his entire career in the top 2 divisions for nothing. This to me is for financial football reasons - Givet wants to leave but gets paid to much, if we could keep him on a low "pay as you go deal" we wouldnt need Kilgallon - but also I believe Givets mental issues are starting to outweigh his lionheart style on the pitch. I wont forget his contributions mind...

Judge - Bringing in a winger who was nominated for league 1 player of season last year (we signed the previous winner of the award and he scored 27 goals in the championship) for nothing. I was gutted Alan left, he has a wicked cross on him. Mixing him with players and staff he knows, at a higher level he may thrive. He may not, but it is cheap risk - much akin to Nelsen, Samba, Friedel, etc etc etc

Taylor - Bringing in another winger in his prime (when we previously had 0) rated by a few teams for nothing. I don't know anything more about Taylor than his performances against Rovers last season. He looked hungry, pacy, good in possession and had a different attitude to any of our overpaid premadonnas on these days. Another decent risk in a climate where we need to think about FFP if we do not get promoted.

Marrow - Bringing in a midfielder just reaching his prime for nothing. Also Rovers fan if its true what I am told. This could be another coup, but you can guarantee that he will be cheap either way. The long slog last season proved what kind of squad you need, and a Marrow has played in few different positions in his career. He also knows Judge, Lowe, Morris, Kean, Hanley, etc - which is a good way to build a squad in my eyes.

I see the positive in these players, and whilst all transfers are a risk... I am glad we have paid nothing for these players. I havent mentioned the free DJ Cambell here, but just to summarise - we payed 3.5m for Leon Best last season.... For footballing reasons?

I see the positive in these players, and whilst all transfers are a risk... I am glad we have paid nothing for these players. I havent mentioned the free DJ Cambell here, but just to summarise - we payed 3.5m for Leon Best last season.... For footballing reasons?

I think Best is a poor comparison given the horrific injury he suffered on his debut. He didn't come with a great reputation but we can hardly judge him yet can we?

Kane - Bringing a right back for the season - who performed admirably last season for nothing. On top of that, he looked like a player constantly improving and could be a real coup if the trend continues. He also keeps Orr out of the team who was a signing made for financial reasons when replacing Salgado

Kilgallon - Bringing in a left sided centre back who has played his entire career in the top 2 divisions for nothing. This to me is for financial football reasons - Givet wants to leave but gets paid to much, if we could keep him on a low "pay as you go deal" we wouldnt need Kilgallon - but also I believe Givets mental issues are starting to outweigh his lionheart style on the pitch. I wont forget his contributions mind...

Judge - Bringing in a winger who was nominated for league 1 player of season last year (we signed the previous winner of the award and he scored 27 goals in the championship) for nothing. I was gutted Alan left, he has a wicked cross on him. Mixing him with players and staff he knows, at a higher level he may thrive. He may not, but it is cheap risk - much akin to Nelsen, Samba, Friedel, etc etc etc

Taylor - Bringing in another winger in his prime (when we previously had 0) rated by a few teams for nothing. I don't know anything more about Taylor than his performances against Rovers last season. He looked hungry, pacy, good in possession and had a different attitude to any of our overpaid premadonnas on these days. Another decent risk in a climate where we need to think about FFP if we do not get promoted.

Marrow - Bringing in a midfielder just reaching his prime for nothing. Also Rovers fan if its true what I am told. This could be another coup, but you can guarantee that he will be cheap either way. The long slog last season proved what kind of squad you need, and a Marrow has played in few different positions in his career. He also knows Judge, Lowe, Morris, Kean, Hanley, etc - which is a good way to build a squad in my eyes.

Agree there 100%.

i do think we still need another player or 3 whilst also moving Orr, Givet (hate to say it) and maybe one or two others out.

Bowyer seems like a decent coach. A quiet man who prefers to stay out of the spotlight. Allardyce was a leader and imo thats what all teams need.

...... I can only remember one successful manager who was uneasy and even awkward in front of the press and who preferred to keep a low profile........ and he won the bloody WC!

Dave Sexton...at Chelsea not Utd!

Well I didn't put Kane in the list because we had to fight Chelsea for him, which is a pretty solid indication of quality. Kilgallon looks like a standard Championship player but one that hasn't played regular football in the last 3 seasons. Judge is 24 and has never played at a level above League 1. Taylor is probably the best of the bunch I mentioned, he may be a slight improvement on what we've got. Marrow is Judge, loaned out well into his 20s, but with a few more games at this level.

You mentioned a lot how cheap they all are and the lack of risk, well I agree but a cheap and risk-free transfer policy doesn't point to a committed attempt at promotion. Best was signed for football reasons, but by a poor manager. What we need in my opinion is to be splashing the cash like we did last summer but with a guy who has a better idea of who to splash it on. As I said in an early post, shedding high-earners and signing cheap unknowns is exactly what we did in the summer of 2011. Sure I don't need to mention how that worked out.

You have to see the element of risk with FFP looming - it is literally against the rules to spend beyond your means. Signing more 20/30k cheques over 2/3 would be idiotic.

The signings are sensible. The exits are looking sensible. If Rhodes and Hanley leave, I will agree with you but at current we need more of this sensible decision making at the club. No signing cheques for has beens, no shebby singh signing portuguese unknowns and no ridiculous links in the papers.

I want to see us in the Prem, in Europe etc - but be realistic. Another 10m on a player this summer could be catastrophic.

If we can free up some more room, sign up Spearing and maybe another midfielder - we could have a big strong squad come August.

By December we will know if these signings have paid off and whether another season is written off. Hopefully we are all singing Bowyer and the Rovers ex-cast offs XI's praises

We will be questioning why did we ever let them leave in the first place...

You have to see the element of risk with FFP looming - it is literally against the rules to spend beyond your means. Signing more 20/30k cheques over 2/3 would be idiotic.

The signings are sensible. The exits are looking sensible. If Rhodes and Hanley leave, I will agree with you but at current we need more of this sensible decision making at the club. No signing cheques for has beens, no shebby singh signing portuguese unknowns and no ridiculous links in the papers.

I want to see us in the Prem, in Europe etc - but be realistic. Another 10m on a player this summer could be catastrophic.

If we can free up some more room, sign up Spearing and maybe another midfielder - we could have a big strong squad come August.

I just can't see how FFP will have a meaningful effect, are Man City really gonna cut their wage bill in half and stop signing new players to satisfy it, or are they gonna find some loophole that every other club with wealthy owners will then copy? In football money equals success, that might be depressing but it isn't idiotic. Are Venkys prepared to give Bowyer the best shot at achieving success, the answer, predictably, seems to be no.

How does anyone know these signings are sensible? They're a bunch of unknowns, some have links to Rovers but Berg's appointment and Shabby's general hunt for a crowd-pleasing manager should prove that past links to a club doesn't qualify something as sensible. Maybe you've got a point about me not being realistic, I'm just generally irritated at how we seem to be going backwards. Most experts would have rated us as having one of, if not the, best squads in the division at the start of last season. None would claim that now.

I'm just worried the way this is going, Murphy and Gomes no-brainers, Olsson and Goodwillie questionable. If the likes of Dann get added to the outgoings as some fans seem quite enthusiastic about then we really are gonna be in trouble.

By December we will know if these signings have paid off and whether another season is written off. Hopefully we are all singing Bowyer and the Rovers ex-cast offs XI's praises

It is hard to get overly excited by the signings to date. Steady but uninspiring.

My hope remains that as some are shipped out it frees wages for two or three better quality additions to be brought into the club.

Well I didn't put Kane in the list because we had to fight Chelsea for him, which is a pretty solid indication of quality. Kilgallon looks like a standard Championship player but one that hasn't played regular football in the last 3 seasons. Judge is 24 and has never played at a level above League 1. Taylor is probably the best of the bunch I mentioned, he may be a slight improvement on what we've got. Marrow is Judge, loaned out well into his 20s, but with a few more games at this level.

You mentioned a lot how cheap they all are and the lack of risk, well I agree but a cheap and risk-free transfer policy doesn't point to a committed attempt at promotion. Best was signed for football reasons, but by a poor manager. What we need in my opinion is to be splashing the cash like we did last summer but with a guy who has a better idea of who to splash it on. As I said in an early post, shedding high-earners and signing cheap unknowns is exactly what we did in the summer of 2011. Sure I don't need to mention how that worked out.

Think your contradicting yourself...we splashed the cash last season and it went balls up....now we are payng for it through cutbacks but squad seems to look better than last season so improvement all round as long as Rochina stays

Think your contradicting yourself...we splashed the cash last season and it went balls up....now we are payng for it through cutbacks but squad seems to look better than last season so improvement all round as long as Rochina stays

It went balls up because of the managers we hired, not the players we signed. 14 points in 8 games with Kean, 9 in 6 with Black, 18 in 12 with Bowyer, nothing wrong with any of that. But in the midst of that a clown from Malaysia hired a guy sacked by Lillestrom, and a clown from Preston hired one with a win ratio of 16.7% from Blackpool. Whats happening this summer is a bit like putting a drunk in a formula one car and then sacking his pit crew when he finishes last.

Archived