BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Clearout begins at Rovers

Indeed Baz.

'Get em off wage bill', 'bad attitude' etc, get some 'proper grafters in'.

Heard it continually for two years, so no surprise that the league position has also hurtled downwards continually.

A PL squad has been taken apart and replaced with Football League journeymen, needs must, I suppose, the only saving grace is that our entire league is of the same standard.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another Premier League-quality player departs - how many do we have left, if any at all ? It also mystifies me when people celebrate the departure of one or our best players because you can bet your bottom dollar his replacement won't be anywhere near as good.

Best players? I always thought he couldn't trap a bag of cement

• Backroom

To those saying we should be gutted, if you can give me an absolutely valid reason to keep aplayer on high wages and low motivation then I'm all ears. Olsson was playing at a level not much better than Murphy last season.

By no means am I glad he's gone because he was one of my faves not long back. But he hasn't played well for a while for us. No-one has ofc, but Olsson has sulked and let it go to his head.

Or shall we pay him 20/25k per week for no return.

Am I the only one who is getting a little worried ?

We have signed a few out of contract players mostly from lower divisions, Murphy the Crewe one decided Leeds was a better bet ...

Not to bothered about Olsson going to be honest , wish his brother would too.

But Rochina leaving , alright he is very flawed but at least he has some talent ..

Talk of signing Spearing , cannot see it myself (hope I am wrong) think he will opt for somewhere else...

My great worry is that Rhodes will be sold on the last day of the window, we have signed DJ bloody Campbell oh my god !

Our Championship survival depends on Rhodes , he goes, we go down !

There's been people on here wanting him sold for the last 2 years. Pathetic really and it's always the ones who thought selling Jones, Samba, Nzonzi and whoever else was a good idea. We probably had little choice but to sell in our second year in the Championship but he'll do ok in the PL. He's got PL quality...

I don't think anyone thought selling Jones was a good idea but once Man Utd hit the release clause we were powerless to stop him leaving. No point in dwelling on it.

Indeed Baz.

'Get em off wage bill', 'bad attitude' etc, get some 'proper grafters in'.

Heard it continually for two years, so no surprise that the league position has also hurtled downwards continually.

A PL squad has been taken apart and replaced with Football League journeymen, needs must, I suppose, the only saving grace is that our entire league is of the same standard.

But surely any player has to have the right attitude and if he hasn't then 'get 'em off the wage bill' has to be the answer. Ollson hasn't been anywhere near his best for a long time now and it wasn't just down to a temporary loss of form. One of the most important aspects of any team sport is everybody pulling in the same direction. In recent times we have had too many who haven't.

Guest Norbert

Olsson is different to Phil Jones, Samba, Nelsen etc. The latter three were shipped out during a time when they were still performing and somewhat motivated. Olsson has stayed, and seemingly regressed. Why pay £20,000 p/w+ for a player who seems to be playing at a fraction of their level, and has been in a slump for a year or two?We all know he can and has been better, but if he is sick of the crazy goings on and wants to play at a higher level there is not that much you can do. He's probably in a rut and needs a change of scene.

As for the signings, yes they're Bosmans, yes they may be from lower levels, but they may well be good signings. Wait and see before declaring them as failures. Not every player has the career path of Ryan Giggs or Christiano Ronaldo.

You say he's regressed norbert, any idea why???

A good manager at a stable club would have got him motivated, simple as.

It's not good for rovers he's moved on, it will be good for the player though, I'm pretty sure of that.

I don't blame him or his attitude, this and all of the other "bad attitudes" we've had and shown the door to, is down to the club and the way it's been run.

Good luck to him, time for us to move on to and enjoy the mid table championship mediocrity that has been given to us.

Finally a whole page where most of the posts are making sense. Its not that I don't understand the argument of those who wanted him out, but this turn of events is clearly not a cause for celebration. By far the best outcome to the Olsson situation and players like him is that we keep them and turn their attitudes around, through stability at the club and improving fortunes on the pitch. Thats by a mile the thing we should be most wanting to happen. Selling/releasing them because we can't do that is a very poor second place, a bit above keeping them and them not being happy. Whats happened with Olsson is yet another low point and an inidication of how we now seem to have to be always trying to make the best of a bad job.

But surely any player has to have the right attitude and if he hasn't then 'get 'em off the wage bill' has to be the answer. Ollson hasn't been anywhere near his best for a long time now and it wasn't just down to a temporary loss of form. One of the most important aspects of any team sport is everybody pulling in the same direction. In recent times we have had too many who haven't.

The question then is "why don't they have the right attitude"?

The answer IMO is that it is down to the manager to get the players' heads right. Olsson was an asset under Sam but has seemingly had the wrong attitude under a succession of poor managers. An experienced man-manager does this in a way that, a novice who doesn't have the players' respect, can't.

It's a similar accusation to that aimed at Samba, N'Zonzi, Hoilett, amongst others. In each case the answer from some very vocal types has been "get rid, bad attitude, greedy mercenary, get them off the wage bill".

Sorry but what we needed was the right manager.

The answer IMO is that it is down to the manager to get the players' heads right. Olsson was an asset under Sam but has seemingly had the wrong attitude under a succession of poor managers. An experienced man-manager does this in a way that, a novice who doesn't have the players' respect, can't.

It's a similar accusation to that aimed at Samba, N'Zonzi, Hoilett, amongst others. In each case the answer from some very vocal types has been "get rid, bad attitude, greedy mercenary, get them off the wage bill".

I agree that the changes might have played a big part in why there seems to be a plethora of players with questionable attiutes but is that right? These are highly paid professional sportsmen. The much vaunted MGP has never sulked, developed a phantom injury or been disruptive. Footballers will use any excuse to get what they want and they normally do. It is too easy for them to do so in my opinion.

Sadly we are now reaping what we sowed with 2 years of horrendous decisions and policy where money was squandered extremely badly-and nearly got us relegated in to the bargain.

We must still have a massive playing squad and the reality is that anyone who we can get rid of to get money in /cut costs , will be got rid of.Its not a done deal that Rhodes stays IMO.We are million miles away for having this under control as defined by FFP and so the cull will continue.

The fact we are so blase about is because most of them are crap anyway-or at least have been demoralised into being crap.

My main worry is that we are building up something that resembles our reserve team of 8 yrs ago and that aint close to being good enough to get us promoted from Ch'ship.

So the massive cost reductions which were always coming are here now ,despite many on here having their heads in the sand and calling everybody who saw it coming ''doom mongers''. When this all comes to rest we will be running the club on a shoe string with major sub standard players.

I think in the words of the Global Tit, the transition is almost complete.

Did people want him out or are they just not too fussed that he's gone? One of these things is not like the other.

If his heart was no longer in it, then Rovers have done the only sensible thing.

I think trying to include Jones, Samba, Nelsen et al in this "clearout" is a little unfair. Based on form for the last 3 seasons i would not trust Olsson as our first choice left back which is his preferred position. Assuming he is on at least double a standard championship wage then it is logical he would be sold. IF he had played in a different team with a different manager and different coaches then he MIGHT have become a very good player - sadly it hasn't worked out that way.

I'm simply glad to see the back of any player that blatantly doesn't want to be here and is causing bad vibes duuude

Would you want to work for a club that has no ambition when your an international, playing in the lower leagues going nowhere.

• Backroom

Would you want to work for a club that has no ambition when your an international playing in the lower leagues that going nowhere.

Probably not. But in such a situation it wouldn't be wise for us to keep him.

I certainly don't blame Olsson for feeling the way he does, but I believe we'll be better with someone hungry to perform.

Let's not forget that Olsson (and all internationals) have next year's World Cup to consider.

• Backroom

Did people want him out or are they just not too fussed that he's gone? One of these things is not like the other.

If his heart was no longer in it, then Rovers have done the only sensible thing.

Good point. I'd say I'm in the latter camp, as I've never really rated Olsson highly (and this is going back 2/3 years, not a knee jerk based on the fact he's been sold). He had a good six months around 2010 but was bang average in every other respects for his entire career here otherwise.

If Henley can stay fit he's an able replacement, IMO.

Just not fussed as far as ollson concerned, poor LB/potentially average winger(and he has a very slapable face :) )

But surely any player has to have the right attitude and if he hasn't then 'get 'em off the wage bill' has to be the answer.

OR......

Get a manager in who can motivate and ensure his better players also have the right attitude.

Archived