BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Clearout begins at Rovers

I just can't see how FFP will have a meaningful effect, are Man City really gonna cut their wage bill in half and stop signing new players to satisfy it, or are they gonna find some loophole that every other club with wealthy owners will then copy? In football money equals success, that might be depressing but it isn't idiotic. Are Venkys prepared to give Bowyer the best shot at achieving success, the answer, predictably, seems to be no.

I think it's quite pointless to compare how FFP will effect clubs like Manchester City compared to Blackburn Rovers. The fact is we have owners who aren't prepared to spend unlimited amounts of money on the club and due to that we need to find a way to spend within our means, if that means we spend a couple of seasons knocking about in the Championship but remove the deadwood, I'm all for it.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just can't see how FFP will have a meaningful effect, are Man City really gonna cut their wage bill in half and stop signing new players to satisfy it, or are they gonna find some loophole that every other club with wealthy owners will then copy? In football money equals success, that might be depressing but it isn't idiotic. Are Venkys prepared to give Bowyer the best shot at achieving success, the answer, predictably, seems to be no.

How does anyone know these signings are sensible? They're a bunch of unknowns, some have links to Rovers but Berg's appointment and Shabby's general hunt for a crowd-pleasing manager should prove that past links to a club doesn't qualify something as sensible. Maybe you've got a point about me not being realistic, I'm just generally irritated at how we seem to be going backwards. Most experts would have rated us as having one of, if not the, best squads in the division at the start of last season. None would claim that now.

I'm just worried the way this is going, Murphy and Gomes no-brainers, Olsson and Goodwillie questionable. If the likes of Dann get added to the outgoings as some fans seem quite enthusiastic about then we really are gonna be in trouble.

might be wrong here, but I recall that there was an element of the financial fair play rules that gave dispensation on players that were home-grown and /or had been developed from a club's academy, if that is in any way accurate then maybe re-signing 2 ex-acadamy lads somehow benefits the bigger picture on permissable wages for the squad against overall turnover??

might be wrong here, but I recall that there was an element of the financial fair play rules that gave dispensation on players that were home-grown and /or had been developed from a club's academy, if that is in any way accurate then maybe re-signing 2 ex-acadamy lads somehow benefits the bigger picture on permissable wages for the squad against overall turnover??

Blimey...interesting suggestion..it would make some kind of sense...

Such a shame that it ended with Olsson in the manner it did, I know I was looking forward to seeing him become even better but he never really convinced as a left back and like others have said, he clearly didn't want to be at the club after it dropped out of the Premier League.

So you can spend what you want provided it's on your own @#/?, great.

Good riddance. Clearly didn't want to be at Ewood any more. Pity we couldn't have lumped his chocolate fireguard of a brother in the deal too.

Thats yet another handicap for team GB to face this coming a season.

Twelve points from nine games last season for team GB begins to look a tall order this time around.

Olsson leaves Rovers for undisclosed fee. Signs a 4 year deal with Norwich. Subject to paperwork.

Hopefully now means we move for Spearing.

Why is it undisclosed the robbing .........?

Bowyer seems like a decent coach. A quiet man who prefers to stay out of the spotlight. Allardyce was a leader and imo thats what all teams need.

...... I can only remember one successful manager who was uneasy and even awkward in front of the press and who preferred to keep a low profile........ and he won the bloody WC!

I think I read somewhere that a chap called Bob Paisley did ok despite being a bit recessive

Good riddance. Clearly didn't want to be at Ewood any more. Pity we couldn't have lumped his chocolate fireguard of a brother in the deal too.

Ever thought that we might have sold the duffer? ;)

I think I read somewhere that a chap called Bob Paisley did ok despite being a bit recessive

Good point.... but would Bob have managed all that without the spadework done by Shanks?

I know they have to wish him every success and all that, but come on. I hope he kicks his ball in to a farmers field and gets a pitch fork up his arse retrieving it. The bloke had the opportunity to dominate this division and earn himself a move to a big club at a fair price. Instead he sulked and dare I say exaggerated injury. As a result he has wound up at Norwich for a pittance. I hope he ends up staying in a travel tavern and driving a rebadged mini metro. Knowing me patrickvalery cursing you Martin Olsson. Aha.

• Backroom

Interesting that at such a low price Big Sam apparently wasn't interested, despite supposedly bidding last season. Perhaps he was disappointed by Olsson's lack of character this year?

Cant work out why people are continually happy to see our better players leave....

We are better off without Samba, Nelson, Givet, Emerton, Olsson, Nzonzi, Diouf according to many people on here.

We also have some people, often the same ones, who are happy with every signing we make no matter what.

How much less are we really paying in wages by having a squad double the size it was 3 years ago? If you take into account paying people off, and transfer fees, signing on fees, and agent costs Id say we are paying more out.

Dont remember Andy Cole or Craig Bellamy being lovely people, you have to keep your better players and keep them on the pitch. Sooner have players like that than nice guys like Jon Douglas, or Martin Taylors.

Too many "bad attitude" comments about players, where there is no evidence Ive seen to support it, too.

Another Premier League-quality player departs - how many do we have left, if any at all ? It also mystifies me when people celebrate the departure of one or our best players because you can bet your bottom dollar his replacement won't be anywhere near as good.

For first time in ages agree totally. A player deemed not good enough for a team that nearly ended up in L1 , yet deemed good enough for the premier league. It still aint dawned on some what the venkys have done to us.

Guest Norbert

What good is a player if he plays at a fraction of his level though? A fired up, interested Olsson would be great for this coming season, but if he really wanted a move and couldn't be bothered then he should go. Tough, but it'll clear another Murphyesque player off the wage bill. If only we could bin Robinson, Givet and the Portugeezers as well.

Interesting that at such a low price Big Sam apparently wasn't interested, despite supposedly bidding last season. Perhaps he was disappointed by Olsson's lack of character this year?

They signed Razvan Rat on a free over a month ago. Great deal by West Ham - his wages might be substantial, but he does have Champions League experience in abundance. 89 caps for Romania as well.

What good is a player if he plays at a fraction of his level though? A fired up, interested Olsson would be great for this coming season, but if he really wanted a move and couldn't be bothered then he should go. Tough, but it'll clear another Murphyesque player off the wage bill. If only we could bin Robinson, Givet and the Portugeezers as well.

There's been people on here wanting him sold for the last 2 years. Pathetic really and it's always the ones who thought selling Jones, Samba, Nzonzi and whoever else was a good idea. We probably had little choice but to sell in our second year in the Championship but he'll do ok in the PL. He's got PL quality...

• Backroom

They signed Razvan Rat on a free over a month ago. Great deal by West Ham - his wages might be substantial, but he does have Champions League experience in abundance. 89 caps for Romania as well.

Oh yeah, had forgotten about that. Bloody love the Rat, me. Another coup by the big man. Rat's 10x the player Olsson is despite being a lot older.

Archived