BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Everton - the "Prestige Friendly"

Tactically, I mean in terms of when we win the ball back. Our front 4 lacks the physicality and height to trouble the likes of Jagielka, Distin and Fellaini. However, what I would like to see is the players moving into space, shorter passing, one and two touch, players like Judge and Taylor are decent on the ball, whereas hoofing it to Rhodes saw us surrender possession instantly time and time again, leading to more Everton attacks. You mention the good performance in the last 20, that was when we were playing the ball more on the ground, looking to link up and become a more fluid attacking team with the ball on the ground. Best was also a better outlet to be honest although never looked like scoring either.

I thought Formica was OK if not a bit tame, Rosado looked good technically but no one was ever closing him down, at one point in the box he pulled the ball down and looped a nice ball over Joel; he would never get that much time normally. Rochina at least tried to pull open their defence and find spaces in it.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He hasn't earned my respect yet. I have watched him many a time motionless when managing the reserves and they've been crap for years. He has fallen into this job, wankys won't gamble on anyone else for fear of screwing it up. His signings say everything I need to know.

Bowyer must be gutted that doesn't have your respect.

Still, it at least means that you're leaving Hanley alone for the time being.

I've been shot down by a few for saying it but a central midfield of Lowe and Marrow will result in a relegation battle. There's no two ways about it. Not sure why Marrow has been brought, you cannot play he and Lowe in the same team.

I still think there's more to it with regards to Rochina. He should be a shoe in for the side but gets a few minutes here and there. Contractual? I'm not sure, but lets start him against Derby next week please Gary.

Still, it at least means that you're leaving Hanley alone for the time being.

What, Hanley the overweight hoofer...?

I've been shot down by a few for saying it but a central midfield of Lowe and Marrow will result in a relegation battle..

You won't get shot down by me, totally agree....these 2 are the worst midfield 2 I've seen at Ewood for a long long time.

If you set your team up with fit, workmanlike, journeymen (Lowe etc.) with no creativity, you will encourage the opposition to get at you and you will be on the back foot the entire game.

If you play the likes of Rochina, Nunes and Rosado, you will give your opponents something to think about and will watch incredibly entertaining, high scoring matches and attendances will swell.

I remember John Bond describing Nicky Reid as "a basic bread and butter player who has learnt nothing about the game". Reid was an Under 21 International in his formative years. All of this describes Jason Lowe to a tee! It seems that no matter who manages us, Lowe has to play the full ninety. If Bowyer persists with him we are in for a dreadful season and my opinion of the Manager will plummet.

Similarly, I hesitate to offer this opinion but Rhodes needs dropping for a time, to enable us to look at other options. I have seen the last three matches pre season and in the Preston match, I was struck by how much of the ball Josh King saw when moved up front. Similarly today; Best seemed to have more touches during his twenty minutes or so than Rhodes had for the other seventy. Rhodes plays a very narrow furrow which basically allows him to attack the box and that is fair enough, as clearly his only interest whatsoever is scoring goals. He doesn't pull his marker wide, drop deep or look to play team mates in at all.

A radical change of plan is needed, and, based on the players we are likely to have available next week, I would go with:

Kean

Kane Dann Hanley Kilgallon

Judge Marrow Rosado Nunes

Rochina

Best

Marrow is similar to Lowe but better; Rosado is a playmaker, Rochina scares the opposition to death and Best has played at the highest level and will show his class when fully up to speed.

Where to start. Assuming Givet goes that's the best defence we could hope for.

Midfield and up front though would be a complete disaster. Whilst I'm not against sacrificing Rhodes for the good of the team, his proven quality at this level is far superior to anything else we have up top. Rochina has been erratic and Best has proved nothing as yet - indeed he's looked a complete donkey. Whether that's solely down to injury we;ll see but replacing a 20+ goal striker with two big uncertainties who don't deliver regularly seems very risky in my book.

Having said that I think Rochina is the best partner for Rhodes, as he's the only one who comes nearest to complementing Rhodes with his creativity and playing deeper. We need all the creativity we can get in this team! But the idea of dropping our main (only?) goal scoring threat is suicidal.

Midfield wise - it'd get tanked. Rossado is unproven, as is Nunes and neither are known for their tackling. Judge works hard but isn't great defensively, so I'd see this midfield slaughtered by most championship teams. Not sure what the answer is outside of new players - which doesn't help unless we get someone in quickly.

On current personnel I think a hard working midfield would be Judge - Marrow OR Lowe - UNKNOWN - Taylor (think he can play on the left). The three selected give a lot of energy, and I feel Taylor and Judge will get forward and support the front two well. Also all three will put in a shift in defensively and work hard for the team. Granted none are amazing quality but you certainly would get energy and contribution both offensively and defensively from the midfield - which might seem limited but was lacking last season.

Problem is that puts a massive burden on the 4th midfielder to be creative, but put a foot in too. I guess a Dunn of old from our previous promotion would be ideal - someone who could be creative but also was tough enough to thrive in the physicality of the championship. Another player like Rochina may mean the team becomes too lightweight, especially since Rhodes isn't the type of striker to hold the ball up. But the number of creative players with a bit of toughness to them (an who'd realistically come to Rovers) are few and far between.

In the meantime I wonder if Formica would be worth a go in the center? He works hard, is creative and is less lightweight than Rochina and King and the like. However he too may still be not tough enough to fulfill this role. I've not been impressed with his rovers career to date but in the current circumstances may be the best to fulfill this role/

Just been flicking through that

Which home stands were open?

Where the home shirts put in the wash with some pink knickers?

I've heard we had to wear red as Everton have not taken delivery of their away shirts yet

Can't argue with any of that Meadows. But i suspect its akin to pi$$ing in the wind. Too many people seem to think we have a divine right to be in the promotion mix. Anger and unrest will still be present in some vocal quarters and it will do nothing to improve the standards on the pitch. Who can blame Rovers fans for being angry though really? The trouble is the people who deserve it are rarely there to receive it. So, as ever it will be felt by the players and staff. I do believe most reasonable fans are starting to accept where we find ourselves, but as you say, many have been weaned on the teat of the glamorous Premier League and our current standing isn't half as warm and welcoming.

What really does grate is knowing how well the club could be doing if the money squandered thus far had been entrusted to good people like Williams and then Allardyce. Even if Big Sam wasn't the owners cup of tea, there are so many other managers well equipped to have have spent the money wisely and had Rovers somewhere around mid table in the PL. Thats what hurts the most. The sheer stupidity of it really beggars belief.

Now I've had time to sleep on it, my thoughts:

Kean - conceded 3 but could have been many more. His kicking still not great but improvement of last season. Really growing into a top keeper.
Kane - same comments being rolled out again. Gets forward supremely well but been a little worried this pre season over how easy the winger is making runs inside of him, usually catching him out. That said, he's still one of our best players & the other flank is more of a problem.
Dann - admittedly he scored but he's more a danger in the other box as his awareness is not great. Thought he was crap first half of last season, terrific after Xmas. He's started this season like last & I'm worried over his overall leadership, especially the concession of goals from set pieces.
Hanley - nowhere near the high standards of last season but Hanley is one of the dependable ones. Very strong in the tackle & in the air. Also looking a real threat at set pieces. Unlucky to score own goal. His form will be crucial this season.
Kilgallon - only managed 45 minutes before being replaced by Morris. Isn't a full back but looks a solid 'defender'. Could form a partnership with Hanley if Dann does go. Otherwise, it's either the bench or full back, I'm afraid. Neither of which I want to see.
Marrow - Exposed yesterday against quality opposition. However, he's a strong boy & could be a real asset for us this season but there's zero room for him & Lowe in the same team. Alongside a more attack minded midfielder, he could develop. Definite promise although I'll reserve judgement until the proper stuff starts.
Lowe - I just can't figure Lowey out. Runs around a lot (a hell of a lot) but doesn't really add much. That said, he's never really had the right partner (ie, Murphy). With a Bannan or more attack minded partner, he could be the one to sit & protect, Makelele like. I want to write him off but will give him another chance until he plays alongside the right person. For now though, there's no way Marrow & Lowe works.
King - alongside Dann, he's the one I'm going to heavily criticise. Yes, he has bags of pace & skill but so many flaws. No final ball, can't cross, can't finish, his thinking is too slow & doesn't close down the full backs quick enough which allows opposition to build from the back. Impact sub maybe, but there's no way he's done enough for a starting berth especially we need service for Rhodes (ie, a final ball).
Taylor - I've championed Chris Taylor all pre season. Yesterday, he was distinctly average but I think there are reasons. First off, I don't see him as an out & out wide man & I'd prefer him in the middle. Secondly, he had Kilgallon as his full back &, with Taylor's style, he needs his full back to get forward & run beyond him. Should have scored from a header. Overall though, he has a part to play...a danger in the air which is a big plus in our more attack minded players, great engine, puts his foot in & quite often seen making excellent forward runs beyond Rhodes. It's just that we're not quick enough picking him out.
Judge - played in behind Rhodes & did well. I still think Rochina is the man there & Judge should be moved out wide where his excellent delivery will be a real asset for us this season. He's been the improver in each & every pre-season game & should definitely start next week. I fancy us to be potent from set plays this year, he's got one of the best deliveries I've seen at Ewood for quite a while.
Rhodes - it's hard to know what to say about Jordan. He's our best player & most valuable asset, we all know that, but it's just not happening for him in pre season. His head never goes down, he runs hard all game & I'm praying everything comes right for him. Reality is that he scores when he wants so hopefully that will begin next Sunday at Derby.

Subs:
Morris (46) - comfortable on the ball & gets forward well, but he's just not good enough as a defender & was exposed plenty down that flank. I don't think their wing back system helped & we did struggle on both flanks to be fair. Right now though, he may just be our best option which is a little worrying.
Rochina (64) - can't believe the Ruben haters. Most natural talent at the club, capable of turning a game on its head. Looked threatening, tested the keeper & had the defence worried on more than 1 occasion. Always liable to give the ball away but that's what you get from a creative, attacking player. He did look more willing to fight for the ball yesterday & pressed high up the pitch which I firmly believe makes a difference. Got to be played next week.
Formica (64) - has talent but another frustrating type. For an attacker, his finishing is woeful (tripped over his own feet twice in one movement) but did deliver some balls into the box from wide positions. No pace though & can't see how he's ahead of Judge, Taylor or Nunes. Bench at best.
Rosado (73) - did well when he came on. Delivered some terrific crosses & he was one of the bright sparks yesterday. Too similar to Rochina for me, there isn't room for both of them. Played out wide but not a natural wide man. Skilful, but like Formica, will never worry a defence by running at them at pace. Another to warm the bench.
Best (73) - a massive improvement from his Rochdale debacle. Still not showing the reasons why we paid £3M for him. Prepared to give him a chance & think he's better than Rhodes in overall play with one up front (ie, stronger) but it's in the box where it matters & I've not seen a goalscoring instinct from him yet. Should have scored.
Pedersen (81) - He's finished. Great left peg, delivered the corner for the goal but that alone isn't enough to get a starting berth. O'Sullivan must be a better option.
O'Sullivan (81) - box to box central midfielder, that's what we've been missing. Nowhere near the finished article & probably needs another season but would like to see him get minutes as he has the energy & attacking instinct we miss in the middle of the park.
Nunes - not used & I'm frustrated with that. Has ability, pace, delivery and, as we need to provide service to the front men, he needs to start. Give the lad a chance to prove himself, we might be surprised.
Eastwood - not used

Right, that's pre season over with. Let's hope GB sees the same things I do & he picks a team next week to minimise our weaknesses & maximise our strengths.

Too many people seem to think we have a divine right to be in the promotion mix.

I don't think we have any divine right. Quite the opposite (as I've probably mentioned!) but for the life of me I can't understand why, whilst Venkys are still here, that isn't their aim.

There is no prestige or money or even thanks for keeping a mid to lower Championship team in the division.

It makes no sense, from their point of view, to keep ploughing in money to cover our losses (at this level) if promotion to the PL isn't the target. They aren't even in the papers any more.

I don't think we have any divine right. Quite the opposite (as I've probably mentioned!) but for the life of me I can't understand why, whilst Venkys are still here, that isn't their aim.

There is no prestige or money or even thanks for keeping a mid to lower Championship team in the division.

It makes no sense, from their point of view, to keep ploughing in money to cover our losses (at this level) if promotion to the PL isn't the target. They aren't even in the papers any more.

Very true , they made no effort to keep us in the Premier league .Since our deliberate relegation and they have made no attempt to achieve the goal of promotion..

Relegation again is going to happen unless they take their stewardship seriously (highly unlikely) ..

This squad is poor to say the least and unless additions are made quickly , we will be relegated in May ....

Cannot see Rhodes keeping us single handedly this season , cos he will be gone come Feb1st at the latest ..

I personally have a big problem with the "we are where we are" comments. Firstly, that's stating the bleedin' obvious and secondly it's being used as an excuse for mediocrity. Fans have every right to expect their club to do the best they possibly can. That means appointing the best people throughout the club, not just on the playing staff. I think many thousands of fans still aren't convinced that we have anywhere near to that set up. They still see idiotic owners, a management structure at Ewood not fit for purpose and players being brought in that are more likely to take us to another relegation. The bottom line for me and I suspect thousands more fans, is that this situation doesn't get any kind of support or acceptance.

its hard to look at where we were and where we are now. However it will take time to rebuild and who ever is in charge needs time to be able to do this. so lets give him at least 2-3 years then judge him not just 2-3 pre season games

just watched the match, not sure if its me getting excited about seeing us play again or not but i thought we played rather well, although i do agree that Lowe and Marrow were @#/?! Every time i saw Lowe he gave it away or passed backwards and i don't even think i saw Marrow touch the ball.

Judge - really impressed, looked composed on the ball.

Taylor - seems to win everything in the air, will do alright

Kane - decent performance, solid enough

Kilgallon - thought he looked decent

Rochina - looked good on the ball, no real surprise, a must keep imo

Rosado - was impressed, same as last season when we saw him on the rare occasion, looks good and the ball and can put a good ball in the box

Kean made some good saves and the rest were just there really.

i hope my opinion wasn't impaired by the excitement of seeing the boys again but all in all i was fairly impressed, as long as we can get the CM position sorted i thin we will do alright this season.

Everton are a good side with some quality players, but the first hour was quite depressing. Our defensive tactics might have worked ok but we did concede twice. Having said that I don't think anyone was terrible, neither did anyone play that well, though Judge was the best of them.

Left back is a problem I hope we solve soon. Morris still looks like a winger playing out of position, Coleman in particular got lots of space. Conceding soft goals at set pieces wasn't encouraging, especially as it is key in the Championship.

Lowe and Marrow doesn't work but we will soon get another player or two there (and the injured ones coming back) so it's not a big worry. Jason isn't a great player but at least in this game he tried to get forward more and got into some decent positions and had a couple of shots (poor shots mind).

Having said all that it really changed when Rochina (and Formica) came on. Not everything he did was great but most importantly for me he brought drive and gave us some impetus going forward. Almost the first thing he did was give hold on to the ball too long and lose it but he changed the team tactically and gave us a threat where none had been previously. For me he was man of the match despite only having 25 minutes on the pitch and he should start every game. the other subs did fairly well too in their limited time but I think part of the reason for that was Rochina. Rosado looked pretty good in his 15 minute cameo and would seem certainly worth more of a look at in the future, he's not just some talentless Portugeezer.

So what for the first 64 minutes left me with not a lot of hope for the season, the last 26 left me with a little bit of optimism.

Whatever happens though during the season, unless he looks like taking us down, GB should have backing of both fans and club as after recent events we need stability.

''I was distracted looking around Ewood, a fanatically supported premiership side sending 6,000 supporters up the 58 for a friendly, and the rest of the ground pretty much a wasteland. A formerly successful premiership club (with a customer base that shouldn't work), dismantled criminally by clueless Indian peasants.''

Hurts so much I can't put it into words.Did the arrogant Pune pillocks turn up in their Rolls again? :glare:

Eh??? I bloody hope so! Put aside your irrational prejudice SG 194......the last thing we want right now is them tightening their belts isn't it?

I would have said hopeful.

Our midfield is lacking and we need a leftback but our fitness looked better, the players seemed to actually care and with Rochina and Best on the pitch we looked menacing. We aren't a premier league club anymore - we have a horrific legacy of mismanagement and crazy contracts but we aren't competing with everton this season - we are competing with bolton, burnley, doncaster et al. Stick a better central midfield and a proper left back in that team and we are instantly top ten IF the fitness and enthusiasm can be maintained (again IMO)

Have we fallen - yes. Have we fallen as far as pompey and leeds - not yet :glare:

No and I don't know about you but I don't see the downward curve levelling any just yet.

I didn't go to the game yesterday but have read through all the comments on here. There is some doom and gloom following the defeat.

Having looked at the opposition for other Championship teams yesterday, it is my opinion we played the strongest team in Everton. The other teams played a mixture of lesser Premiership teams, lesser foreign teams and lower league teams.

Perhaps these dark clouds may be lifted by some of the other results for other championship teams yesterday?

Both Derby and Reading were beaten convincingly at home to Premiership opposition.

Leeds were beaten at home to Nurnberg.

Bolton only drew with non league Chester.

Huddersfield were beaten by Oldham.

Sheff Weds only drew with League 2 Chesterfield.

Granted there were wins for a few other Championship sides, but generally against lower league sides or lesser foreign teams than Everton.

At least Rovers had the courage to test themselves against strong opposition. Who will take more from these games? Rovers against Everton, or as an example, Bolton playing a Non league team?

I was very happy with Bowyer appointment as manager!!! can't believe people moaning again even before the season has started. so pathetic to see!!!

They've been bred on a successful club but one with feet of clay.

Chaddy some of our younger fans remind me of alcoholics..... they won't learn, they won't be told, they refuse to accept the truth and they will have to hit rock bottom before they can move forward.

Sadly, the reaction of fans to Gary is all so predictable. The guy has no money to spend, is forced to reduce the wage bill and has to settle for free transfers to try to rebuild a club that has been destroyed over the past few years. Sadly, Gary hasn't got a chance with some fans but, fortunately, the majority realise the problems he is faced with and will hopefully get behind him. Nobody can expect promotion in the present circumstances but it won't stop some from moaning night and day. I think everybody realises that the squad is not the best and that this season will be about trying to bring some stability back to the club. Gary has always impressed me when working with the Academy and the Reserves and given time and support by the owners I have no doubt he will achieve that stability. A season of mid-table football may not be enticing for some but under the circumstances it is the best we can hope for. Surely, now is the time for supporters to get behind Gary and the team. It's always easy to support during good times but it's at times like this that the club need the supporters.

I know what you are saying Parsonblue but I don't believe a career in marketing is beckoning you any time soon. ^_^

However fair do's cos I can't stand bullshit and the fact is that why would anybody from half way around the globe chuck money at BRFC unless we could face an away turnout the size of Everton's every fortnight? Yes I know it's chicken and egg but the home support only warrants a 3rd / 4th rate team these days. The party is well and truly over.

Similarly, I hesitate to offer this opinion but Rhodes needs dropping for a time, to enable us to look at other options.

Business head on.................. If we don't sell Rhodes this summer we will lose big money on him imo.

I don't think any fans think we have this divine right to target automatic promotion, if you look at the squad and the setup we look like a mid table side closer to relegation than promotion. I think the crux of the issue for many is basically Rovers need to get promoted before the parachute payments dry up, this is the last season of the decent money (iirc from next season that payment halves).

So if promotion is needed asap and the club know this then you as a fan want to see some action taken to try and achieve this goal. So far they have failed at that in my view by making another cheap and inexperienced appointment, the dross still exists at the club, the players signed so far haven't looked like they will make a big difference and there is still no cohesive and clear management structure at board level. All in all it's a complete mess as usual and how any Rovers fan can go into this season thinking of promotion or getting excited for the season is beyond me.

Rochina - looked good on the ball, no real surprise, a must keep imo

That 20min spell prob sounded the death knell on his career here. It's the transfer window and that JWU would be full of scouts etc well able to spot a. quality and b. a square peg in a round hole.

terrific summation, we are what we are, mid-table second tier with no more than a very slim chance of achieving promotion in the unlikely scenario that all our cards fell ecxactly right - which is exactly what I bought into in Autumn 1967 and largely what I had to aspire to in the quarter of a century which followed

I cannot for the life in me understand the like of one blog I read this week which said "We had a better squad than Hull last season to start with and GB has improved it so...blah, blah, blah..."

We need to get a reality check, any tangible improvement on last season's relegation struggle is progress, no matter how tentative and seemingly insignificant to those who, quite understandably, have 18 out of 20 years in the top flight as their formative experience

That was achieved solely due to the largesse of one generous man and prolonged probably beyond its natural life by good stewardship of the club along with usually prudent manager selection

None of that is in place any more, however much potential Gary might have. he couldn't have a more dysfunctional club to begin his managerial career with and the last thing he, the club or the support needs is to be getting on his back angrily if -as might well happen- we get off to a less than successful start

no I wouldn't have appointed him myself but neither will the like of Parsonblue or I be booing and seething with rage if he turns out not to have the magic formula after all

A really good, sensible summary of what we have become. Too many people are trying to re-invent the wheel. We know why we are here but the reality is that the Championship is going to be our home for a long time and free transfers and cheap signings are going to be the norm. FFP and poor management are the primary reasons for this . I am looking forward to the season starting and seeing how things develop but more importantly I will remain patient and give the team and Gary a fair chance. I sat in the Blackburn End lower yesterday and speaking and listening to the people around me many are of the same mind.

Don't know if it's been mentioned but anyone else find the lack of Venkys adverts pitch side a bit strange ? The ones that were very prominent last season, not one anywhere yesterday !

If we were trying to rebuild the club under new owners there would be far less dissenting angry voices, I'm sure the majority of fans would be wholly behind policies being pursued by the club and be far more understanding.

The fact that this regime is the one that destroyed the club as we knew it is the problem. There will always be disharmony amongst the fans as long as Venky's remain owners of the club and the players/management will be on 'mission impossible'

Archived