BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Everton - the "Prestige Friendly"

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Errrr...last game before the season starts, these 2 were on the @#/? bench for @#/? sake.....if this guy thinks that a midfield of marrow, Lowe, judge and stonehouse aren't heading for relegation, then he's a prick. Serious questions need to be asked about the quality brought in....absolute garbage.

Such short memories on this board. Bowyer saved us from relegation last season.

We are also missing Williamson, Dunn, Etuhu players that would start in midfield before Marrow and Lowe, Bowyer is also actively looking for a central midfield player. The guy has earnt our respect, I'd give him a few games before calling him a prick.

He hasn't earned my respect yet. I have watched him many a time motionless when managing the reserves and they've been crap for years. He has fallen into this job, wankys won't gamble on anyone else for fear of screwing it up. His signings say everything I need to know.

It is sort of funny reading this board. Bowyer criticised for being "keanesque" and for being honest about the state of our squad. No criticism intended towards either contributor - just shows how opinions on the same source material can vary wildly.

Personally i think that Bowyer wanted to make clear to the fans that this is not the finished product and he wants/expects to build a proper team whilst also being a very deliberate "nudge" to certain members of our squad that they should pack their bags and do one...

Bowyer has been totally honest with fans. Listen to his Rovers player interview yesterday he said it will time for him to bring his players in and get rid of players he doesn't want and this could take a couple of transfer windows to get the squad he wants at the club

Fans need to give Bowyer time and judge him at the end of the season NOT before a proper game has been played of the season.

Does anybody know who was in the seats above the Technical Areas? From afar and with failing eyesight I fleetingly thought it was the Indians but there hasn't been any mention of them on this thread so far.

Balaji came to Ewood Park to watch the game. left after 65 or so minutes. I would imagine that he would be meeting Shaw and Bowyer tonight for talks over transfer targets and other topics.

Wow! The usual over reaction from people who have seen nothing of pre season other than today.

Chris Taylor was the best midfielder on the park at Wrexham & Crewe so don't judge him on half a game. To me, he's probably better in the middle of the park. Judge continues to improve but needs to move wide to make way for Rochina. I saw plenty to be encouraged about at Preston but, admittedly, we were outclassed today.

For the first 20 minutes & the last 20 minutes, we competed well. Other than the obvious comments re Lowe & Marrow, the problems were 3-fold:

• You cannot carry players against this quality (ie, King). You need 11 on the pitch all trying their best.
  • When Martinez went to 3-5-2, we were all over the place. Our wingers & full backs had zero idea & we were marking space. That disappointed me from a tactical perspective.
  • We sat back too much. When we press high up the pitch, we look much better & 2 or 3 of our better chances came when the front players hassled their backline.

Still looking forward to Derby. Need Rochina to start & a new central midfield.

Russ, Great points again.

People on this messageboard have gone massively OTT again over today's game. It was a pre-season friendly against a Premiership team who finish 6th in the league last season.

when Josh King was sub today, he ask Bowyer why he was sub and Bowyer spent around 30 seconds explained what he was doing wrong and what Bowyer want him to do which he didn't do.

Thought Judge was rovers best player today for us from the starting 11. When Rochina came on he change the game for us and give us much more of a attacking threat. he seems to pass the ball most of the time at the right time apart from his first involvement in the game which is pleasing to see

Bowyer tried today a more defensive setup with us counter attack against a team who pass the ball in Everton like Brighton and Watford do in the championship. He tried something different in a friendly game which is what these games are for. work for around the first 20 mins but after that didn't work at all.

Thought Best did ok when he came on as Sub. nothing special but an improvement. Thought Morris did well at left back without being great.

Are you for real? Doesn't matter who you play, someone has to be the best player.

I'm actually bored of all the criticism. Not great today but it was one game. Last season, Bowyer was seen as a hero but now people are questioning him. Best solution? Sack him & lets have another 4 changes of management in the next 9 months.

Last season, people wanted work rate as we had the quality apparently. This season, he brought in the work rate, now they want the quality. I think we now have a fine balance of both but are lacking in a couple of areas of the park, which Bowyer has already accepted.

Chris Taylor. Chin up son, you'll be fine & I, for you, think you've looked good in pre-season overall (not just 45 minutes).

I agree 100% RussP.

after today's game we clearly a midfielder playmaker in and a left back plus maybe a back up striker aswell. Hopefully Bannan will sign for Rovers permanent early next week. Also hope we see O'Sullivan more involve in the Rovers first team aswell. A player who has impress a couple of my mates who have seen every Rovers pre-season game this Season.

I think Bowyer knew his starting 11 for the Derby game before today's game. Really looking forward to next Sunday game there.

Gary Bowyer's Blue and White Army :brfc:

He hasn't earned my respect yet. I have watched him many a time motionless when managing the reserves and they've been crap for years. He has fallen into this job, wankys won't gamble on anyone else for fear of screwing it up. His signings say everything I need to know.

what a load of Kean!!!

Didn't we win the reserve team league under Bowyer and get to the Under 18's final against Chelsea???

Plus Bowyer earned this job after keeping us up after last season mess under the 3 amigos(Shaw, Agnew and Shebby). His signings have been decent and sensible! did fans expect us to spend millions or something? we cant spend millions and meet FFP rules aswell

I was very happy with Bowyer appointment as manager!!! can't believe people moaning again even before the season has started. so pathetic to see!!!

Sadly, the reaction of fans to Gary is all so predictable. The guy has no money to spend, is forced to reduce the wage bill and has to settle for free transfers to try to rebuild a club that has been destroyed over the past few years. Sadly, Gary hasn't got a chance with some fans but, fortunately, the majority realise the problems he is faced with and will hopefully get behind him. Nobody can expect promotion in the present circumstances but it won't stop some from moaning night and day. I think everybody realises that the squad is not the best and that this season will be about trying to bring some stability back to the club. Gary has always impressed me when working with the Academy and the Reserves and given time and support by the owners I have no doubt he will achieve that stability. A season of mid-table football may not be enticing for some but under the circumstances it is the best we can hope for. Surely, now is the time for supporters to get behind Gary and the team. It's always easy to support during good times but it's at times like this that the club need the supporters.

Sadly, the reaction of fans to Gary is all so predictable. The guy has no money to spend, is forced to reduce the wage bill and has to settle for free transfers to try to rebuild a club that has been destroyed over the past few years. Sadly, Gary hasn't got a chance with some fans but, fortunately, the majority realise the problems he is faced with and will hopefully get behind him. Nobody can expect promotion in the present circumstances but it won't stop some from moaning night and day. I think everybody realises that the squad is not the best and that this season will be about trying to bring some stability back to the club. Gary has always impressed me when working with the Academy and the Reserves and given time and support by the owners I have no doubt he will achieve that stability. A season of mid-table football may not be enticing for some but under the circumstances it is the best we can hope for. Surely, now is the time for supporters to get behind Gary and the team. It's always easy to support during good times but it's at times like this that the club need the supporters.

Fully agree, i think gary mentioned that to get the squad that he wants with the correct balance to it, it will take the next 2-3 windows due to finance.

Fully agree with both Chaddy and Parson.

Some folk need a reality check; we are where we are and nothing will change that. We all know the reasons but that's history.

I'm still dismayed about the whole shebang but fully agree that as supporters we should all get behind Gary Bowyer and his team.

If you set your team up with fit, workmanlike, journeymen (Lowe etc.) with no creativity, you will encourage the opposition to get at you and you will be on the back foot the entire game.

If you play the likes of Rochina, Nunes and Rosado, you will give your opponents something to think about and will watch incredibly entertaining, high scoring matches and attendances will swell.

I remember John Bond describing Nicky Reid as "a basic bread and butter player who has learnt nothing about the game". Reid was an Under 21 International in his formative years. All of this describes Jason Lowe to a tee! It seems that no matter who manages us, Lowe has to play the full ninety. If Bowyer persists with him we are in for a dreadful season and my opinion of the Manager will plummet.

Similarly, I hesitate to offer this opinion but Rhodes needs dropping for a time, to enable us to look at other options. I have seen the last three matches pre season and in the Preston match, I was struck by how much of the ball Josh King saw when moved up front. Similarly today; Best seemed to have more touches during his twenty minutes or so than Rhodes had for the other seventy. Rhodes plays a very narrow furrow which basically allows him to attack the box and that is fair enough, as clearly his only interest whatsoever is scoring goals. He doesn't pull his marker wide, drop deep or look to play team mates in at all.

A radical change of plan is needed, and, based on the players we are likely to have available next week, I would go with:

Kean

Kane Dann Hanley Kilgallon

Judge Marrow Rosado Nunes

Rochina

Best

Marrow is similar to Lowe but better; Rosado is a playmaker, Rochina scares the opposition to death and Best has played at the highest level and will show his class when fully up to speed.

• Backroom

I think where we have come from makes it so much harder for fans to accept where we are now but the reality is as Parson spells out

To have any success in the future we need to make sure we keep a steady flow of young talent coming through and GB should be a good man to oversee that from the top, I just hope he is successful enough with the first team at the same time

If you set your team up with fit, workmanlike, journeymen (Lowe etc.) with no creativity, you will encourage the opposition to get at you and you will be on the back foot the entire game.

If you play the likes of Rochina, Nunes and Rosado, you will give your opponents something to think about and will watch incredibly entertaining, high scoring matches and attendances will swell.

I remember John Bond describing Nicky Reid as "a basic bread and butter player who has learnt nothing about the game". Reid was an Under 21 International in his formative years. All of this describes Jason Lowe to a tee! It seems that no matter who manages us, Lowe has to play the full ninety. If Bowyer persists with him we are in for a dreadful season and my opinion of the Manager will plummet.

Similarly, I hesitate to offer this opinion but Rhodes needs dropping for a time, to enable us to look at other options. I have seen the last three matches pre season and in the Preston match, I was struck by how much of the ball Josh King saw when moved up front. Similarly today; Best seemed to have more touches during his twenty minutes or so than Rhodes had for the other seventy. Rhodes plays a very narrow furrow which basically allows him to attack the box and that is fair enough, as clearly his only interest whatsoever is scoring goals. He doesn't pull his marker wide, drop deep or look to play team mates in at all.

A radical change of plan is needed, and, based on the players we are likely to have available next week, I would go with:

Kean

Kane Dann Hanley Kilgallon

Judge Marrow Rosado Nunes

Rochina

Best

Marrow is similar to Lowe but better; Rosado is a playmaker, Rochina scares the opposition to death and Best has played at the highest level and will show his class when fully up to speed.

that midfield would take an absolute pasting, we would conceded 3-4 every game, thats like something kevin keegan would put out

I so Nunes warming up, not sure if he's had a growth spurt since last time I so him, but he literally is stick thin(promising player though) Rosado did ok but seemed very slow.

Seems I'm not the only one that is starting to think we play better as a team without Rhodes, outside the box Best and King offer more all around(would be a huge gamble dropping Rhodes though to test the theory)

that midfield would take an absolute pasting, we would conceded 3-4 every game, thats like something kevin keegan would put out

I touched on that at the start of my post Watford Rovers and you are correct re. the Keegan analogy.

I would love to see it though. Goals win games and, to be honest, our midfield has taken a pasting regularly of late in any case! My team is a footballing one and I would love to see it happen but I know it never will. :rock:

I love BRFC but the simple fact of the matter is we are crap! Today was painful to watch! We start the season next week but Everton are nearly 3 weeks off and looked much fitter than us! We really are a mess at the minute! Gary has stashes the ship but all he has done is patch up the holes! We look disjointed from the top of the club to the bottom! It is such a shame and yes we punched above our weight but we deserved to; we warned that right! The club is now full of "make a quick buck" loonies!

We have a poor squad and lots of people picking up a wage they shouldn't (Lowe)

Just watched the first 30 mins of the match and i was quite impressed. One HUGE difference is just how organised we look. Admittedly we lack quality in certain areas (CM and out wide) but some of the closing down and orgainsation at the back and in midfield was excellent. The work rate was also very good, and whoever it was who said earlier in the thread that the fitness was poor is quite frankly an idiot. The way the midfield harried Everton to put them off their passing game was good to see. Judge, Lowe & Marrow put a real shift in. As did Taylor. Compare that with the shocking fitness levels and lethargic displayes of the last 2 years.

Defence looked very solid too. Lots of ball ran harmlessly through to Kean in that first half hour because the defence and midfield had closed down the space.

Early days, but there were reasons for optimism in that display. Also, we won't be up against Fellaini, Barkley, Mirallas & Pinnear every week.

A really annoying thing for me was the way we played. Regardless of the opposition, it in no way suited us to keep hoofing it upfield. Rhodes does not win headers, neither does King and Judge and Taylor are midgets. There was no movement, no fluidity in our play, no sharp passing, no clever runs and it meant it was literally them coming at us again and again. This only changed when Rochina, Formica and Rosado came on.

I thought King was awful, he has no brain at all, Lowe again was terrible, Rhodes may aswell have sat next to me and Taylor and Judge, barring a couple of good corners by the latter, couldn't get involved as the tactical side of our game was all wrong.

I think Rochina has to play as he is our only player with the ability to beat players. Formica was useful and just as effective as Taylor, actually creating a chance or 2, whilst Rosado was technically very good although he is too slow in my opinion.

I love BRFC but the simple fact of the matter is we are crap! Today was painful to watch! We start the season next week but Everton are nearly 3 weeks off and looked much fitter than us! We really are a mess at the minute! Gary has stashes the ship but all he has done is patch up the holes! We look disjointed from the top of the club to the bottom! It is such a shame and yes we punched above our weight but we deserved to; we warned that right! The club is now full of "make a quick buck" loonies!

We have a poor squad and lots of people picking up a wage they shouldn't (Lowe)

Take your blinkers off and have another look. Lowe broke up numerous attacks of theirs which is why he's in the team. He's not there to spray 50 yard passes around (which he actually did a couple of times).

The levels of ignorance on this board are astounding.

A really annoying thing for me was the way we played. Regardless of the opposition, it in no way suited us to keep hoofing it upfield. Rhodes does not win headers, neither does King and Judge and Taylor are midgets. There was no movement, no fluidity in our play, no sharp passing, no clever runs and it meant it was literally them coming at us again and again. This only changed when Rochina, Formica and Rosado came on.

I thought King was awful, he has no brain at all, Lowe again was terrible, Rhodes may aswell have sat next to me and Taylor and Judge, barring a couple of good corners by the latter, couldn't get involved as the tactical side of our game was all wrong.

I think Rochina has to play as he is our only player with the ability to beat players. Formica was useful and just as effective as Taylor, actually creating a chance or 2, whilst Rosado was technically very good although he is too slow in my opinion.

You mean the tactical side that allowed them the ball up to a certain point and then we took it off them by closing them down? Happened time and time again in the first half. The tactics were spot on. The alternative was to leave 2 players up top and get overrun in midfield. The problem is we don't have anyone decent out wide to take the pressure off. The quality of the opposition was quite good too! When they took off their main men in the 2nd half we totally outplayed them for the last 20 mins, and played good footbal too.

Formica was and is crap, missed two good chances and looks like he's running in treacle. Rosado looked quite good, and i thought O'Sullivan looked very promising. Rochina is obviously very talented but he dwells on the ball a lot and loses possession. Best looked quite good when he came on, played a great little ball to put Formica through.

Archived