BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers vs Bolton - by m1st :)

cn174

Thought for 75-80% of the game we were excellent! The only times we weren't excellent were when Bolton to their credit played well.

I still think Dunn is our most creative/dangerous midfield player, King has pace and Cairney has the touch but Dunn can really pull something out of the bag and for me his re-introduction into the team at the end of last season kept us up. Wrap him up in cotton wool, and just respect we will never get more than 60 mins out of him.

I thought Lowe had a very pleasing game, he does seem to be so much more confident when he has players with him like Cairney and Dunn who are always looking to help him and take the ball. I also like that our full backs seem very willing to push forwards, we've played for years on the back foot so it's nice to see the opposition being put under pressure.

As a few have said before still concerned with the centre back pairing as a few times every game they seem to lose their men in or around our box. As Bowyer has said for some time now it's going to be a long road to recovery for this team, we will have some performances like Doncaster along the way but if we have more like yesterday it could be a good season.

Final note on Bolton I know they have major finance worries, they've barely managed to ship out any of their Premiership wages and they have long contracts, on that front we haven't done too bad. A friend of mine worked in the sports science department at Bolton until this summer when he made redundant like the vast majority of the department as well as the physio department ... They really banked on going straight back up.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Once Dunn went off there seemed to be much less support for Rhodes and I could be wrong but no one else seemed prepared or able to get close to or in the box quickly.

Second half I felt Rhodes was poor. Often when the ball came to him his control was ball and several times his attempted layoffs went straight to a Bolton defender.

Do you not think your first sentence explains the second to an extent?

Once Dunn went off there seemed to be much less support for Rhodes and I could be wrong but no one else seemed prepared or able to get close to or in the box quickly.

Second half I felt Rhodes was poor. Often when the ball came to him his control was ball and several times his attempted layoffs went straight to a Bolton defender.

I thought opposite actually. After Dunny came off Rhodes was dropping a lot deeper, he was out on the wing a few times. But the problem in that situation is that he has noone to pass the ball onto.

Thought he could've had one more goal actually, the one in the first half where he had a clear header but it just pinged off his head miles over the bar. But two will do for me.

I didn't see Barnsley game last week so for me this is by far the best game I've seen so far this season. All the players were still going by the final whistle, something we've not seen much of for a few years. It hought bringing on Taylor was a good move in the 2nd half as he'll just run and run like he did for the fourth goal. Was funny to listen to the Blackburn End singing 'We want five' :D

http://www.lionofviennasuite.com/2013/8/31/4680864/blackburn-rovers-v-bolton-wanderers-five-things-we-already-knew this lad isn't right happy :D

• Moderation Lead

I thought opposite actually. After Dunny came off Rhodes was dropping a lot deeper, he was out on the wing a few times. But the problem in that situation is that he has noone to pass the ball onto.

Thought he could've had one more goal actually, the one in the first half where he had a clear header but it just pinged off his head miles over the bar. But two will do for me.

I didn't see Barnsley game last week so for me this is by far the best game I've seen so far this season. All the players were still going by the final whistle, something we've not seen much of for a few years. It hought bringing on Taylor was a good move in the 2nd half as he'll just run and run like he did for the fourth goal. Was funny to listen to the Blackburn End singing 'We want five' :D

http://www.lionofviennasuite.com/2013/8/31/4680864/blackburn-rovers-v-bolton-wanderers-five-things-we-already-knew this lad isn't right happy :D

What a bell. I forgot Bolton were the Greater Manchester equivalent of Barcelona.

great score yesterday and good day for those that went and Bowyer. The Roa's won't be listening to Shebby after the last two matches. We took our chances well and created good opportunities. We need to sort out our defence, CB especially. Carved open far too many times as if anything both CB's to me anyway seem to favour playing on the right hand side. I'd also like to see them retain the ball better as at one stage all they did was try and hit rhodes and we lost possession everytime. It was during the 2nd half and it lead to a lot of pressure on us before we scored. We looked better with the ball I would like to see more urgency to win it back at times but overall much better than Carlisle and Donny. Long road to go but at least now the supposed pressure on GB must have been lifted. Now we need to make them count and send Burnley back where they belong looking up at our ass in the league....

The knives and pitchforks of Greater Manchester are certainly being sharpened for Doogie now lol He did say stop Rhodes because he's one of very few Rovers have who will score against you, oh dear. When we played them last year he was the second coming, now he's worse than Megson haha. They've been believing to much Nicko hogwash over there. Nicko the new Wigan fan that is !

haha he has such praise for us doesnt he?

based on the last two games I think Todd Kane could turn into a cult hero for me. His defending is suspect (Kim had him all over the place at times yesterday) but I love how he gets forward again and again and puts in good deliveries. He seems to be cutting some of the silly errors he makes while in possession too

For now he isn't good enough for Chelsea so if his performances continue it would be great to sign him up.

based on the last two games I think Todd Kane could turn into a cult hero for me. His defending is suspect (Kim had him all over the place at times yesterday) but I love how he gets forward again and again and puts in good deliveries. He seems to be cutting some of the silly errors he makes while in possession too

For now he isn't good enough for Chelsea so if his performances continue it would be great to sign him up.

Do you mean Lee? I thought he was Boltons best player by a mile yesterday, and turned Kane inside out a few times. In defence of Kane he stuck to it well and got an assist too.

The way he goes forward and his stature reminds me of Alan Wright.

Bowyer has cvome up with simple and effective solutions to old problems ... Dunny being absolved of defensive duties and instead saving himself by playing high up and supplying Rhodes. Passes to King aimed well in front rather than to feet to give him a chance to get into overdrive.

Overall it is a long time since I saw a BRFC team play with so much enthusiasm and togetherness. It is clear that they are enjoying their footy and when that happens it makes them all 20% better.

My first game yesterday after having to give up my season ticket for family reasons and was mightily impressed.

We looked assured and comfortable with the ball which we haven't been for a very long time.

King, Cairney and the revered Jason Lowe were my stand out performers. Lowe did a good job of moving the ball on and helped solidify the midfield at times. King was a real menace to Bolton and was the clear MOTM. Cairney keeps the ball and drive forward well at times. The Riverside saw some real action in the first half helped by Spurr really pushing on too : King and Spurr had a real good combination in the first 45.

All-in-all I was very pleased :-)

fantastic performance yesterday. best ive seen us play for years. cairney has been a revelation and it will be a tough blow if we cant sign him full time or at the very minimum extend his stay. lowe looks a different player. i couldnt stand him and thought he was one of the worst players i had ever seen but in his last 2 games he has shown promise. king when confident looks dangerous but i dont think he is a player that will be able to keep these perfermances going week in week out. hope he proves me wrong

for the first time in years there was a buzz around ewood. dare we become confident

Barnsley were poor last week. A struggling Rovers patched together a performance that did the job. Two things were clear about last week. The era of overpaid mercenaries is over. This is a team of youth. The second thing is the exuberance and togetherness. Last weeks second half was a little disappointing.

Bolton were far better than Barnsley though they had several defensive errors that cost them. Rovers were a lot better than last week, confidence probably the difference. There were times when Rovers ran backwards with no one pressing the ball, Lowe needs better coaching, and the back 4 switched off occasionally. Only Hanley concentrated throughout the game.

Going forward was clearly Rovers strength. We looked like we could score at any time and it defiantly left fans near me and on this MB buoyant.

Cairney was MoM though if Dunn or King had received it there would have been no complaints. Cairney plays with his head up, a rare quality that gives him more time and vision that all the other players. He probed and pushed the ball forward continually moving the ball quickly and intelligently.

King followed up on last week with an improved display. He needs to work on his final ball and reckless defensive fouls.

Dunn is just a class above this division even if a yard slower. He needs to play 90 minutes to improve his fitness. I for one would be worried if we took him off after 60 minutes against Burnley.

Of the new boys Evans didn't have long enough to get a grip on the game though his wonder volley was technically perfect, assured by a deflection. Ben Marshall didn't pick up the pace of the game and looked out of sorts in his debut. Morris was anonymous. Taylor is a throwback to Ian Miller and is adapting to his new club. Good movement and a willingness. His best is ahead if him.

Two things were clear about last week. The era of overpaid mercenaries is over. This is a team of youth.

Dunn is just a class above this division even if a yard slower. He needs to play 90 minutes to improve his fitness.

To which I'd conclude that the best teams need a balance. Fans are a bit quick for me to overstate the positives of youth and write off what the oldies brining. Personally I'd like to see another highly paid, experienced mercenary or 2 brought in to our midfield/defence because we still look open when the opposition is running at us. At home it won't matter as much but our defensive midfielders and defence will face tougher tests away, like they did at Doncaster.

• Backroom

Personally I'd like to see another highly paid, experienced mercenary or 2 brought in to our midfield/defence because we still look open when the opposition is running at us. At home it won't matter as much but our defensive midfielders and defence will face tougher tests away, like they did at Doncaster.

In theory a good idea, but the danger is there are far more Murphy/Etuhu types out there simply looking for one last pay packet than players who genuinely care about doing well for the club they are signing for. You have to be very careful in that market, as we discovered last season.

I'd be very suprised if "wee dougie" wasn't trying desperately to bring a centre half or two in before the deadline. Wheater and Knight were both woeful. Anyone else hear Knight getting booed off his own fans after Rhodes put us 2 up? Notlob boo boys!

As a Riversider these days got a good view of his second half play yesterday.

As you say Howler, a bit dodgy defensively but very good and always an option going forward. His game was summed up by a cracking goal line clearance (fairly early in the second half I think, that if Bolton had got that equaliser then it could have been a different game) and his storming run to the byline and setting up Jordan's tap in. He's been a key part of the last two games.

To which I'd conclude that the best teams need a balance. Fans are a bit quick for me to overstate the positives of youth and write off what the oldies brining. Personally I'd like to see another highly paid, experienced mercenary or 2 brought in to our midfield/defence because we still look open when the opposition is running at us. At home it won't matter as much but our defensive midfielders and defence will face tougher tests away, like they did at Doncaster.

Don't really agree to be honest. I think we can get by without experience in this league. I'd only really take an old head if they had real quality and bona FIDE experience of promotion. No names jump to mind. Premiership journeymen, the sort of players Bolton are stuffed with, are so disappointing 9 times out of ten. If you look at our squad over the last year we have had half a dozen experienced heads with prem quality and all to a man have been poor apart from Dunn and occasionally Dann.

Take a punt on the youth.

Archived