BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tom Cairney

Great to see a really talented, young midfield wanting to sign for us and play for the badge.

Having a solid, young base of players who care about the team and the performances can only stand us in good stead for the rest of the season and beyond. I loved seeing a midfield of Cairney, Williamson and Taylor at Leeds. They all played out of the skins for the team and got the result to show for it. Now that we've got Cairney personally I'd love to see Boywer stick with those three as least for a few more games. The formation really seemed to work and Rhodes seemed to get a lot more service than he has in the past, which obviously works.

COYB

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evans and Cairney for the price we paid is incredible. Nice to see a sensible transfer policy being led by Gary and the team.

More like being led by the bank.

And I think Gary Bowyer is more than fulfilling his mandate. We're steadily improving, bringing in young, motivated and, I presume, cheaper talent. We will be play-off contenders this year.

imo it is a refreshing return to common sense and honesty and as far as I can see with players being signed solely for footballing reasons! Thats why Bowyer has my support.

Should have backed him in summer. Big mistake that.

Quite right. However you must share some of the blame you should have lent them your crystal ball 47er. :tu:

• Backroom

What on earth has any of that to do with people calling him English when he choose Scottish nationality?

That's some jump you have made there.

Playing for a national team in modern times is now considered declaring one's nationality is it? Quite the opposite I would say.

Is KP english, or is he a South African that happens to play for the England team? Does Manu Tuilagi consider himself English, or is he a Samoan?

Only the people themselves could answer the question, as only they know how they feel or which country they associate with most, but to make a declaration of nationalism because some-one decides to put on your country's shirt is stretching it slightly.

Not saying I agree with it, in fact I don't, I think it's a farce, but sadly wearing a countries colours means sod all these days.

The only sad part might be when we lose two of our best players after rebuilding Hadrians Wall and chucking Rhodes and Cairney the other side of it. :P

Good news that he's signed, but must admit that I'm baffled how we can give out 3.5 year contracts (including Gestede - if that's right) in our position.

Interesting question is who decides on these contracts - the Clueless Raos, or Shaw who made a name for himself amongst the fans at PNE, giving out lengthy contracts that tied the club in knots?

Good news that he's signed, but must admit that I'm baffled how we can give out 3.5 year contracts (including Gestede - if that's right) in our position.

Interesting question is who decides on these contracts - the Clueless Raos, or Shaw who made a name for himself amongst the fans at PNE, giving out lengthy contracts that tied the club in knots?

With a younger player like Cairney I see the wisdom of a long-term contract because if he improves and we get an offer then we will be in a stronger position to negotiate a higher fee.

Our financial position as a club makes everything we do risky, even things like this which make sense.

That's some jump you have made there.

Playing for a national team in modern times is now considered declaring one's nationality is it? Quite the opposite I would say.

Is KP english, or is he a South African that happens to play for the England team? Does Manu Tuilagi consider himself English, or is he a Samoan?

Only the people themselves could answer the question, as only they know how they feel or which country they associate with most, but to make a declaration of nationalism because some-one decides to put on your country's shirt is stretching it slightly.

Not saying I agree with it, in fact I don't, I think it's a farce, but sadly wearing a countries colours means sod all these days.

The only sad part might be when we lose two of our best players after rebuilding Hadrians Wall and chucking Rhodes and Cairney the other side of it. :P

Thanks for the set-up.

Unlike others who claim to research, I make a living out of it:

http://sport.stv.tv/football/278879-scotland-under-21-star-desperate-to-return-to-the-premier-league/

Been wearing our kit since childhood and never though about playing for another country.

Welcome to the club Tom, it's great to have another SCOT in the team and to see a spine that's not limp like an englishmans!!! (or yanks)

Thanks for the set-up.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/278879-scotland-under-21-star-desperate-to-return-to-the-premier-league/

Been wearing our kit since childhood and never though about playing for another country.

Welcome to the club Tom, it's great to have another SCOT in the team and to see a spine that's not limp like an englishmans!!! (or yanks)

To be pedantic the lad has only stated that he's proud to play for Scotland, not that he's proud to be Scottish. A common trait when a kid has a Scottish dad and a mother of another nationality and lives in the mother's country. I have a split household, my two lads were born in Blackburn but have a Glaswegian mum and have lived in Scotland for most of their lives. The younger one in particular, despite his Scottish accent, would dearly have loved to have pulled on the three lions had he been good enough, but I don't think he necessarily considers himself to be English.

The article you have pulled out certainly speaks for itself Maj, but it doesn't necessarily contradict Silas's earlier point.

Insightful. I could infer that pride to play for Scotland is akin to pride in being Scottish.

I merely used Silas's post as a point to post the article, my point and meaning hasn't changed. I asked people to respect Cairney's choice to be Scottish, sat on the interview as I know people won't do anything other than voice their opinion as his. I think it's quite clear that he regards himself as Scottish, is proud to play for us and others should respect that.

I know a few people who like your family have a choice, whatever they choose is up to them and should be respected. Silas's point for me concerns the rules and whilst they are as they are, well he has chosen to be Scottish, just as KP is now English. Our opinion on them is irrelevant as we don't and can't influence the rules. Turing was guilty way back then regardless of how anyone felt about the law, yes time has shown it to be wrong and the law has changed. But it was law then and he broke it. Perhaps in time things will change but as it all stands today they've made their choice.

Although I'm not sure I like the thought of an englishman with a scottish accent, :lol:.

Considering we were desperate to sign Cairney I don't think w could have offered him much less. Other teams want him, he has an injury record so will want to protect himself financially, and I doubt it would have given him that much confidence that we really wanted and supported him if we offered him only a year or two years. Plus from our perspective we want to protect our investment. Cairney does not look far off Premiership quality. A short term contract may have left us high and dry in June 2015 with a mid table Prem club swooping in and getting him for half a mill or free when his true value is nearer 6 or 7 million.

Gestede is a bit more of a mystery....? Don't think there was anyone else after him and he is not at all proven? A shorter term deal may well have been viable...?

Insightful. I could infer that pride to play for Scotland is akin to pride in being Scottish.

I merely used Silas's post as a point to post the article, my point and meaning hasn't changed. I asked people to respect Cairney's choice to be Scottish, sat on the interview as I know people won't do anything other than voice their opinion as his. I think it's quite clear that he regards himself as Scottish, is proud to play for us and others should respect that.

I know a few people who like your family have a choice, whatever they choose is up to them and should be respected. Silas's point for me concerns the rules and whilst they are as they are, well he has chosen to be Scottish, just as KP is now English. Our opinion on them is irrelevant as we don't and can't influence the rules. Turing was guilty way back then regardless of how anyone felt about the law, yes time has shown it to be wrong and the law has changed. But it was law then and he broke it. Perhaps in time things will change but as it all stands today they've made their choice.

Although I'm not sure I like the thought of an englishman with a scottish accent, :lol:.

Me neither and I've got two of them lol.

I think the lad will probably be torn in respect of what he considers his 'nationality' to be and if he has any sense, will box clever on it. That's why, when it comes to football, lads usually go with their dad's nationality in a situation like that, understandably. If he had been crap at football it quite probably wouldn't have been an issue.

I'm English through and through, but my residence gives me a vote in the Independence Referendum in September, but I guess I'm going way off topic now.........

Additionally have to say that I very much like the look of our team now. We have quality young players now in every position on the pitch including four talents - King, Marshall, Cairney and Rhodes - who look like they can continue to grow and become very good matchwinners indeed. Only big areas of concern are goalkeeper and support for Rhodes.

Bowyer has done a great job in the circumstances, spending virtually no money. Add a good striker (or Gestede steps up) find a good keeper (or Robinson comes back decent) and then it is really all about holding onto Rhodes and getting the team to gel and be defensively solid. Hopefully the return of Evans will help that.

I keep reading on here that Bowyer has had no money. Players just magically arrive and stay as long as we want them. Lots of them. Two more arrived this week supplementing the largest squad in world football. All with no money. It's like a magic trick.

When we were first relegated we signed Best, Etuhu, Rhodes, Murphy. Those four cost nearly 13 million on wages of 120+k a week?! Now look at who we have signed under Bowyer and who we have got rid of... I haven't included the mass of Portuguese players we signed either!

It has to be said the owners have been extremely supportive of the various managers, we spent (or wasted Rhodes apart) gazillions the summer before last , Appleton was then still allowed to bring in a shedload of dross on loan last January, then despite failing to secure promotion and being in substantial debt we brought in around ten players in the summer. Now despite our financial position, GB has been allowed to bring in Gestede and Cairney.

I'm not bothered about the fact we've signed Gestede but am over the moon that we've landed Cairney. Once again though we've brought in two youngish players and you have to like Bowyer's policy of signing younger players as opposed torather than previous managers' penchant for signing overpaid and over the hill mercenaries intent on one last pay day dating back to the Souness era.

I'm not bothered about the fact we've signed Gestede ....

I do believe thats a bit premature Simon. imo the jury is still out on Gestede. First 10 mins I saw of him when he came on as sub he looked lost but I must say I've seen enough since Christmas to believe that he is a real handful for defenders. Big and strong and equipped with a ferocious overdrive gear. Whether he has it between his ears it's too soon to say.

It's relevent to mention that whilst Evans (who?) and Cairney made a pretty quick impact that Taylor and Marshall looked poor until they bedded in and right now I'd imagine that they are amongst the first names on the team sheet.

Just as an aside and maybe this should be on the JR thread but Den's been banging on for long enough about whether the Rhodes money should have been used to sign the likes of these lads, so if it turns out that it has and the plan is to sell JR in January to pay for these signings then in your opinion are we stronger or weaker? Better off or not? And was Den right or wrong?

• Backroom

Thanks for the set-up.

If having a t-shirt and going on a few holidays somewhere suddenly makes you part of a country, then I might as well be Jamaican.

Laters, off to make a beercan sandwich. ;)

I hope not too. Our second highest goalscorers have 2.

I think there will be some interested eyes on Rhodes tomorrow against PL defenders (if he plays). Could be win-lose if he scores.

Exactly what I posted in the Citeh preview. One can only assume he'll be well up for this, all eyes on him for the first time really.

Would anyone be surprised if Bowyer dropped him? No, surely Rhodes would be furious if he did?

Will be interesting. A good performance might just nudge a few teams into action.

Not imo but hopefully the plan is not to sell Rhodes under any circumstances barring an unforeseen and insanely high offer.

I guess it depends what 'insanely high is'. Even at £15m or so do we want to sell? Not unless Bowyer is given a percentage of the money to improve the squad, and adequate replacements are available.

Possible very big decisions to be made if Rhodes has a stormer on Saturday.

I take your point but I remember when, on our rare forays into the transfer market in the 80's, the new signing would be pictured pen in hand flanked by messrs Saxton/McKay and John Haworth. All would be attired in suits and club ties in a picture that said ' we may be skint but we are a proper, traditional football club'

I think Shaw's overly casual (some might say shabby) appearance is a reflection on how the club has declined and doesn't auger well for it's recovery to former dignity.

I think you do have a point here, possibly slightly overstated but he does not portray a professional image at all. I can't see a photo of Shelfy without being reminded of Lofty from "It Ain't Half Hot Mum" http://www.oocities.org/iahhm/donestelle.html

I think you do have a point here, possibly slightly overstated but he does not portray a professional image at all. I can't see a photo of Shelfy without being reminded of Lofty from "It Ain't Half Hot Mum" http://www.oocities.org/iahhm/donestelle.html

Ref the Lofty likeness, you're not the only one. Seem to remember West Yorks Rover also remarked on it a couple of months ago. Must be a certain vintage of poster ;)

Archived