BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bowyer

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Norbert

Putting the financial sh_tstorm aside, we are in a much better position now than we were this time last year. We were on our 3rd manager by now (I think), and we had to listen to Shebby Singh make a right tw_t of himself on 606.

4 points away from the play-offs is a decent enough recovery from the basket case season we had.

• Backroom

Think he got it just right today on purpose or by fluke

I didn't think King deserved to lose his place but his injury took it out of our hands, the amount of chances created shows we were set up well

Putting the financial sh_tstorm aside, we are in a much better position now than we were this time last year. We were on our 3rd manager by now (I think), and we had to listen to Shebby Singh make a right tw_t of himself on 606.

4 points away from the play-offs is a decent enough recovery from the basket case season we had.

That is up there with " Apart from that, Mrs Lincoln, how did you enjoy the show?" Keep 'em coming...

thing is, the financial problems are there but the manager can do little to affect them. they are a product of so many wrong decisions taken over a number of years. However, what the manager can affect, using the resources he has, is what is on the pitch. He can get his team winning games and make them feel positive about themselves and their game. That does not happen if you keep changing manager and have an idiot like Singh pulling the strings behind the scenes, along with a gang of people with their own interests at heart and not those of the club. It happens when a decent, apparently honest football guy like Bowyer, given a chance he probably never thought he'd get, but unlike Kean, didn't scheme to grab and hold on to, manages somehow to learn very quickly on the job, and uses the experience he has available. He may not have been most people's choice but you can't deny that with him at the helm, on the field at least, things are better than they were this time last year.

A lot of us said after the performance at Ipswich we needed to see a big reaction from both the manager and the players and I think by and large we've seen that.

So well done to GB, keep it up and don't let standards slip!

Yes, but theres a big difference between Ipswichs team and Yeovils firsts.

Guest Norbert

That is up there with " Apart from that, Mrs Lincoln, how did you enjoy the show?" Keep 'em coming...

Oh I am sorry. I didn't realise it was the law to be as negative as a Yorkshireman on a camping holiday in Syria. Hell, let's all slag off the players and the manager whatever the result, and then go the the garage with a hosepipe.

The fact is that we have been shat on by everyone so we need some f_cking relief, and every win offers that however fleeting. Or should we spend every waking moment p_ssing our pants about what might happen at the end of the season and just give up and die?

Oh I am sorry. I didn't realise it was the law to be as negative as a Yorkshireman on a camping holiday in Syria. Hell, let's all slag off the players and the manager whatever the result, and then go the the garage with a hosepipe.

The fact is that we have been shat on by everyone so we need some f_cking relief, and every win offers that however fleeting. Or should we spend every waking moment p_ssing our pants about what might happen at the end of the season and just give up and die?

Far be it for me to speak for Mr Venkhater but I think he was being jocular with that post (and making a good job of it!)

You have a point but there are far worse culprits than Mr V.

What about QPR's team? Think Millwall are a cut above Yeovil too, albeit not Ipswich. You can only play what's put in front of you, and we've drawn against a very good side away and beaten two others (one of them crap, one of them in a false position). If we can keep consistent and beat the next two at home, it'll represent our best run of form in years. Lest we not forget, this is a fairly crazy league and anyone can beat anyone.

You can only beat what is in front of you. In two out of the last three games we ground out results with some dogged and disciplined performances. Yesterday we played some really good stuff and generally dominated and kept the ball well. The most pleasing aspect for me in the last three games is that the players have it in them to mix up different styles of play depending on the circumstances. Also Bowyer deserves some credit for this for picking a team and tactics to suit each game.

Hopefully lessons have been learnt from earlier this season.

With the current formation then it is all about keeping clean sheets as one up front means only a few goals.

Retainign possession in midfield is key to keeping the pressure off the defence. I still think the current players in that part of the pitch need to work on that as they still give the ball away too easily.

Nonetheless a good result and we are at least building a platform for the second half of the season. We need Cory Evans back asap to shore that part of the team up. Williamson and Etuhu are too injury prone.

I have to admit I thought something similar when I read Leonard's post. If we win promotion this season will he be sat in a corner sulking with Abbey refusing to celebrate? Or will he allow himself a paper cup of warm Asti Spumante and change his user name to Leonard "Don'tmind'emquiteasmuch" ?

You can only beat what is in front of you. In two out of the last three games we ground out results with some dogged and disciplined performances. Yesterday we played some really good stuff and generally dominated and kept the ball well. The most pleasing aspect for me in the last three games is that the players have it in them to mix up different styles of play depending on the circumstances. Also Bowyer deserves some credit for this for picking a team and tactics to suit each game.

Hopefully lessons have been learnt from earlier this season.

Indeed, and by all accounts the conditions yesterday would have been a great leveller.

In the current circumstances Bowyer in my opinion is the best man for the job. He has made mistakes, but it seems that he is learning from them. Since the Ipswich game, I have seen a change in tactics. We are now much more compact and harder to breakdown, a lot more emphasis is being put on keep it's shape.

Compared to last season we now actually look like a team.

I was having a exchange with someone on twitter and I asked him if Bowyer was sacked who would want to join Rovers? Venky's reputation is totally shot within the game and with the impending financial restrictions it will be almost impossible to attract a decent experienced manager. so if he was sacked we would end up with a desperado such as Coyle.

With the current formation then it is all about keeping clean sheets as one up front means only a few goals.

Retainign possession in midfield is key to keeping the pressure off the defence. I still think the current players in that part of the pitch need to work on that as they still give the ball away too easily.

Nonetheless a good result and we are at least building a platform for the second half of the season. We need Cory Evans back asap to shore that part of the team up. Williamson and Etuhu are too injury prone.

If we can get Evans back - fully fit - and to the form he was starting to show before he got injured - we would have a genuine chance of promotion. IMO the three of Lowe, Cairney and Evans was starting to look the most complete midfield we have had for a few years. Lets also hope Cairney signs in January !

Take your point but it wa

The dangers of trying to make a joke on a message board!

I do take your point, though. The last thing we need is people smothering moments of positivity with a polythene bag.

I guess we are all different, though. For people like me, that sort of humour actually provides relief.

A Yorkshireman in Syria LOL

If we can get Evans back - fully fit - and to the form he was starting to show before he got injured - we would have a genuine chance of promotion. IMO the three of Lowe, Cairney and Evans was starting to look the most complete midfield we have had for a few years. Lets also hope Cairney signs in January !

I think so too, get Evans in and hope that Dunn stays fit and we have a chance because it looks like the young players are learning how to be more consistent. A run of wins like Derby have done would be nice!

I think so too, get Evans in and hope that Dunn stays fit and we have a chance because it looks like the young players are learning how to be more consistent. A run of wins like Derby have done would be nice!

Agreed. The hope is that we can continue to clock up points while waiting his return. Then, we will have a springboard on which to mount a sustained challenge with key players available. The size of squad has been seen as a problem, but it might actually help us, as fixtures come thick and fast after Christmas.

Let's hope it is only 10 days to the departure of Leon Best. Rates as bad as Murphy as a toxic influence.

Sell before we can buy. It will be another big loss on the original £3.5m but hopefully sufficient to buy Cairney.

If we can off load Best, Goodwillie and Campbell and bring another striker in then hopefully we can push on up the table. Still need as bit of paceup fromt for me yet as King has a lot of developing to do with his blind alley runs..

What no Dunny?

the club was geared up for and actually trying to win the league

this season the club has done jack sh8t to suggest promotion was a realistic aim. therefore if Bowyer somehow manages to turn water into wine whilst being hindered by the assortment of numpties and emptyheads above him he will have done amazingly well

I think that was what Stuart was alluding to

Archived