BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bowyer

Jumping the gun there OJ.

If Venky's were to send someone in to look at the whole situation - because they believed we should be doing a whole lot better, then I would be happy with that, assuming of course it was the right person. I know very well "we are, where we are", but that is used as an excuse for underperforming in some quarters.

Yes, i think we're in agreement; fine if they send someone in to look at the whole situation (that doesn't mean shebby), but do that first rather than pulling the trigger so soon on bowyer.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Gord it depends whether you want your football club to pursue excellence in everything it does. It doesn't matter whether that club is Chorley, Bournemouth, Blackburn Rovers or Man Utd. There are always ways to improve.

If I were the owners, I would certainly be looking at the situation very closely. Millions of pounds pumped in with more to come apparently, still in receipt of parachute payments, a huge squad, a striker costing £8m, great facilities, top academy, only out of the PL just over a year ago. Look at the rest of the Championship, how many of those clubs have that kind of backing? How can we "accept" losing games to Carlisle, Doncaster, notts Forest, only drawing at home to Huddersfield (who's striker we took from them), getting battered at Leicester etc? How can we accept having won only two games out of nine? I don't expect miracles, but so far, IMO, it's just not good enough.

If I were the owners, I would want a complete analysis of what we've done wrong, what we're doing wrong and what needs to be done to improve things. Maybe we need big changes. Maybe we need to lay down performance targets. Maybe people have to be told in no uncertain terms that things have to change. Maybe a few arses have to be kicked. I would question the way transfer policy has been conducted this summer. For me, a top down review needs to be made before it's too late - including the owners management of the club.

My post comes from rumours that Singh might be on his way back. We all know he's not the man for the job, but if the owners really want better than what they're getting for their money at the moment, then good for them. There is absolutely no reason why anyone should be accepting that Rovers can't do better. A lot better really.

I wouldn't ever accept that we can't do better, certainly not now.

Just a thought.

OK then Den........ So which manager of quality and reputation would throw his hat in with this lot? Any self respecting agent worth his salt would likely lock his manager client in a padded cell if he even picked up the phone to BRFC.

OK then Den........ So which manager of quality and reputation would throw his hat in with this lot? Any self respecting agent worth his salt would likely lock his manager client in a padded cell if he even picked up the phone to BRFC.

I'd sadly agree with this sentiment now Theno but that needn't have been the case.

I think it would be totally wrong to criticise GB in any way shape or form. He would never have been the ideal choice but he's the man in the slot and blue and white through and through. He can only deal the hand that he's given, shame he can't wind the clock back twelve months. As a rookie manager, I think he's doing a mighty fine job.

What's his/our budget/ plans let us know, I'm sick of being a bloody mushroom !!

Unless of course there was a drop in it,

Shebby returning via Switzerland!

You're jumping the gun Gord. Nowhere have I suggested Bowyer has to go. Nor is this an overreaction to the Hudds game. I'm saying that if I was the owner, had paid £25m for the club, taken on debts of another £25m and were looking at putting maybe the same in again, then the attitude of "we are where we are" and " there's nothing we can do about the situation" would be a long way from my mind. The first 9 results would have me concerned. Only two wins from 9 games - and both of those were home games against the worst form teams in the league, - this after backing the manager with a raft of players coming in to add even more bodies to an already huge squad. I would consider that now was a good time to look at everything that has happened over the last three years. Everyone/everything would come under the microscope if I was the owner, including my own running of the club, the chairman's role, use of agents the overall transfer policy and yes, the manager.

If Venky's think this current position the club finds itself in can be improved on (and in my opinion, it can) then good for them. What would you do if you were the owner - just sit back, put more millions in, think Huddersfield, Carlisle and Doncaster are good sides - and shrug your shoulders?

It's just a real pity that it looks like Shebby might be the man again.

Oh, and I would still say this is we'd just won promotion. You can always improve. Never accept your fate in football.

Everyone expects GB and his team to get on with the job, identifying the teams weakness regarding players and bring in the necessary ones required in january to push on in the second half of the season.

Then again it would seem an impossible task for GB when the owners and senior management team cant even be arsed to turn up and watch each Rovers games, says it all really.

• Backroom

None of the senior squad turn out for the Under-21's Tom. I think they play behind closed doors games for the seniors who don't turn out on a Saturday.

Cheers parson I thought they tended to include one or two in them

Shame about our early cup exit because these lads could do with a taster of first team football if they are going to profess

The Watford lad seems an odd one still

Everyone expects GB and his team to get on with the job, identifying the teams weakness regarding players and bring in the necessary ones required in january to push on in the second half of the season.

Then again it would seem an impossible task for GB when the owners and senior management team cant even be arsed to turn up and watch each Rovers games, says it all really.

What kind of support to the club and the manager is this.

To be honest I would rather the Indians didn't roll into town on match days. They are a distraction and for me it's a case of out of sight, out of mind. As for Shaw I couldn't give a flying one where he is when we are playing provided he is not there. If his toothy, gormless grin is nowhere to be seen it suits me. As for the others I couldn't care less.

To be honest I would rather the Indians didn't roll into town on match days. They are a distraction and for me it's a case of out of sight, out of mind. As for Shaw I couldn't give a flying one where he is when we are playing provided he is not there. If his toothy, gormless grin is nowhere to be seen it suits me. As for the others I couldn't care less.

Fair enough, though it just highlights how far apart this club is from each other for it ever to be an effective unit within this league or any other league for that matter.

It's been a while since anyone posted any irrelevant stats to prove no point whatsoever so here goes,

First 8 games as permanent manager of Blackburn Rovers

Ince* W3 D2 L3 Pts11

Sam* W2 D4 L2 Pts10

Kean* W3 D1 L4 Pts10

Berg W1 D3 L4 Pts6

Appleton W2 D3 L3 Pts9

Bowyer W2 D3 L3 Pts9

*denotes Premierleague games and not sunday league

So a much of a muchness other than Berg

I'm not sure. I think the Rovers job (albeit perhaps less so this season than last) would've been a good short term job for a manager. Could they have got us performing better than we have been doing - despite handicaps, probably yes. But if they can't Venkys leave them with a ready made excuse which means that any manager will leave with their reputation intact, because no one will expect success/improvement under their stewardship. I think a few managers would've been willing to take this on - almost a no loss situation.

Wasn't there one point in time where McDermott and Adkins (and possibly McCarthy) would've been available? Think we missed the boat on getting a number of decent managers who could've done well with us.

It's been a while since anyone posted any irrelevant stats to prove no point whatsoever so here goes,

First 8 games as permanent manager of Blackburn Rovers

Ince* W3 D2 L3 Pts11

Sam* W2 D4 L2 Pts10

Kean* W3 D1 L4 Pts10

Berg W1 D3 L4 Pts6

Appleton W2 D3 L3 Pts9

Bowyer W2 D3 L3 Pts9

*denotes Premierleague games and not sunday league

So a much of a muchness other than Berg

If they had all played against the same teams, then you could compare them. Which is where such stats fall down imo.

Who is to say that Bowyer won't be in that bracket in a few years? Everyone has to start somewhere. I think I'm in the minority but I'm quite happy with him. I think if he's left alone to do his job we'll get better.

I agree with this. Nobody can say for sure but I like a lot of the things bowyer has done in the short time he has been in charge - signing young, hungry british players, getting rid of the old mercenaries, building our playing system to try and get the most out of our best weapon - Rhodes' finishing etc.

Reading the Corry Evans interview in the LT reminded me how few games these players have been together. The understanding between them will take time to develop - it is no wonder we suffer against teams like Leicester who have pretty much the same side as they did for the whole of last season. (I do accept that that is probably not the only reason they lost as Leicester have real quality.)

I am optimistic about how this season may unfold if Bowyer is left to do his job (and supported) - the young side will begin to develop an understanding and merge into a team, and the fact that they are young should mean they reach a really good level of fitness.

In my opinion a stats league based on 8 games when we have such a changed side is not reflective of a manager's ability, especially one who is still learning.

In my opinion a stats league based on 8 games when we have such a changed side is not reflective of a manager's ability, especially one who is still learning.

I knew people would ignore the first line

It's been a while since anyone posted any irrelevant stats to prove no point whatsoever so here goes

When you consider who we dropped points against it isnt really too horrendous. Leicester were or are top. Forest have spent a fortune and will be there or thereabouts. The dingles, like it or not have been very good this season. Its only really Donny where we were abysmal. Huddersfield was below par but on another day we could have won that at a canter. I really dont see what all the fuss is about.

When you consider who we dropped points against it isnt really too horrendous. Leicester were or are top. Forest have spent a fortune and will be there or thereabouts. The dingles, like it or not have been very good this season. Its only really Donny where we were abysmal. Huddersfield was below par but on another day we could have won that at a canter. I really dont see what all the fuss is about.

Donny were is a hot streak at the time. very unlucky to get 1 point instead of 6 in two away games at Wigan and Charlton prior to them playing us.

Archived