BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bournemouth v Rovers Sat 28th Sept 2013

Hope I'm not treading on anyones toes here, but as it's now Friday lunchtime & we've a game tomorrow, I thought I'd start off the thread for tomorrow's game.

Can't say I really know much about tomorrow's opponents and I can't even remember going to a game against them, although I'm sure I must have back in the 80s.

Our problems of finding someone to 'play in the hole' have been discussed to death and it looks like we're going to have the same problem for the next couple of weeks at least until Dunny returns. I can't see GB changing much from last week unless he decides to go with 2 up front like the way we finished up last saturday.

As I don't know much about Bournemouth, I'm going for a 1-2 rovers win, Rhodes (obviously) and King. I see us lining up:

Kean

Kane Hanley Dann Spurr

Taylor Evans Lowe King

Cairney

Rhodes

Personally I'd drop Lowe (not gonna happen!? drop Cairney back a little and go with Best up front with Rhodes to try & change things as Cairney's not the answer in the number 10 role.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless we don't sit back too much and close them down all over the pitch from the off i fear a repeat of the Doncaster game. We are due an away win and i hope it comes tomorrow but i'll go

2 - 1 to Bournemouth ( Cairney)

9,512 (789 Rovers)

Saddest match stat

Sam Allardyce’s Rovers were finishing 15th in the Premier League in 2008-09, the Cherries were narrowly avoiding relegation out of the Football League

I'll go 2-1 Bournemouth. We're as much use as a chocolate fireguard away from home.........so far.

According to Bowyer, Campbell has not made this squad (rovers.co.uk)

http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/same-squad-for-saturday-1078923.aspx

Steve? Steve? Is that you Steve? :rock:

"You look at the performances we've had away from home and we are disappointed not to have picked up an away win,"

said the Rovers boss.

"It is something that we have been striving for in training this week because last week we were striving for that clean sheet and we got it. "So obviously we are aiming for our first away win."

In the games that we've played I think we've competed and finished the games strongly. "Our last away game was Leicester and we had the last attack in the game and could have nicked something from there."

So I think that we have to keep going with our philosophy and look to improve on that ."Sooner or later we are going to put everything together again away from home and we'll pick up that first win and there's no better time than Saturday."

The first Rovers game I saw was v Bournmouth in '89 as an 11 year old. Sat at the back of Nuttall Street (could see out the broken frosted glass behind me to the street behind), Garner went clear, everyone stood up, I didn't see a thing, next thing the whole stand shook as he scored and we won 1-0.

Back in about 1988, a group of us saw 3 games in a day. Midday was Wigan v Preston (inflatable Heinz beans tins and all), then Maine Road for City v Palace at 3pm. Went Ewood for us v Bournemouth. A long day on the sauce, Was tired and emotional and fell sleep 2nd half! We won 2-0 I think...happy days

3-0 Bowyer gone by Monday

being your usually negative self!!! are you going to the game and are you a season ticket holder?

really pathetic to see fans who want a manager sack after 9 games. you haven't given him a chance at all!!!

Bowyer needs time and patience to build and gel this team together but some fans are NOT willing to give him a proper chance.

I really hope we win tomorrow. Bowyer to stay as manager all season and get us into the playoffs by finishing 6th.

my team for the game would be:- Kean; Kane, Dann, Hanley, Spurr; Lowe, Cairney; Marshall, Judge, King; Rhodes

subs:- Eastwood, Kilgallon, Evans, Taylor, Best, Williamson, O'Sullivan.

Rovers to win 2-1 with Rhodes and Judge scoring

Gw868uF.png
AFC Bournemouth vs. Blackburn Rovers
Saturday 28th September 2013
Goldsands Stadium (Dean Court)
KO: 15:00

AFC BOURNEMOUTH -

BRIEF HISTORY:
Originally founded in 1890 (as Boscombe St. John's Institute FC), this club would be dissolved in 1899 and reborn as Boscombe FC. They played their football in the Bournemouth & District Junior League and it wasn't long before their local success propelled them into the Hampshire League. It was in 1910, that Mr J.E. Cooper-Dean leased the team some wasteland which would become the club's new home, 'Dean Court', named after its benefactor. Apparently, the club's nickname 'The Cherries' stems (no pun intended?) from the cherry orchards that grew on the nearby estate, OR because of their cherry red striped shirts. You decide. By 1923, the club had now adopted by the name 'Bournemouth and Boscombe Athletic FC' to make itself more reflective of the district they were playing in.

This name would stick until 1973, when manager John Bond decided the current name just wasn't snazzy enough and the club was renamed A.F.C. Bournemouth to make it sound more continental, along with a new crest - although the club remains officially registered as 'Bournemouth and Boscombe Athletic FC'. It was around this time that Bournemouth started to adopt the red and black stripes inspired by AC Milan.

By the end of 2008, AFC Bournemouth was quite frankly on its knees. After years of financial instability, they were rooted to the bottom of the football league and liquidation was staring them in the face at the end of the season. Local businessman, Adam Murray agreed to buy 50% of the club's shares from the previous chairman, Paul Baker, and despite the heroic efforts of manager Eddie Howe and his shoestring side performing the greatest of great escapes, impending doom still loomed over the club. In the off-season, Adam Murray completed a takeover of the club with a five-man consortium which included the ex-Doncaster chairman Eddie Mitchell. Mitchell turned out to be a highly divisive and controversial figure at the club, with a series of PR own goals (including this drunken rant on BBC 606) along with a public row outside the ground with disgruntled supporters, which slightly overshadowed the success he brought on and off the pitch. He was the driving force behind the revamping of the stadium & facilities, he brought Eddie Howe back to the club, and Mitchell's involvement was also key in bringing Russian billionaire Maxim Denim to the boardroom. At the beginning of the month, Mitchell stepped down as chairman of AFC Bournemouth, but where his predecessors failed, Mitchell leaves behind a club that has been completely transformed on all levels and ready to believe again.

CLUB RECORDS:
Highest Attendance: 7,939 - Huddersfield Town (18 Sep 2013)
Biggest Home League Win: AFC Bournemouth 8 - 2 Macclesfield Town (22 May 2013)
Biggest Home League Defeat: AFC Bournemouth 0 - 5 Southend United (15 Dec 2010)
Biggest Away League Win: Altrincham 0 - 6 AFC Bournemouth (10 Aug 2011)
Biggest Away League Defeat: Luton Town 5 - 0 AFC Bournemouth (4 Dec 2010)
Biggest Cup Win: Luton Town 0 - 3 AFC Bournemouth (9 Jan 2012)
Biggest Cup Defeat: Chelsea 5 - 0 AFC Bournemouth (15 Aug 2011)
Highest Scoring League Game: AFC Bournemouth 6 - 4 Rochdale (4 Aug 2010)
Highest Scoring Cup Game: West Bromwich Albion 6 - 2 AFC Bournemouth (7 Mar 2011)
Most League Games Won in Row: 8 - 5 Nov 2011 to 30 Nov 2011
Current League Games Won in Row: 1 - 18 Sep 2013 to 18 Sep 2013
Most League Games Unbeaten in Row: 12 - 14 Sep 2011 to 29 Oct 2011
Current League Games Unbeaten in Row: 1 - 18 Sep 2013 to 18 Sep 2013
Highest Transfer Fee Paid: £4.7M - Tokelo RANTIE from Malmö FF (3 Sep 2013)
Highest Transfer Fee Received: £4.1M - Jason PEARCE to Leeds United (7 Jul 2013)

LAST MEETING:
The last time these two clubs faced one another was back on September 22nd 2004 in the 2nd round of the Carling Cup. In what was Mark Hughes' first game as Rovers manager, the match finished 3-3 after extra time, only for Bournemouth to triumph 7-6 in the subsequent penalty shootout.

Blackburn: Enckelman, Neill, Amoruso, Johansson, Gresko (Gallagher 85), Emerton, Tugay, Douglas, De Pedro (Pedersen 57), Bothroyd (Stead 61), Jansen.
Subs not used: Friedel, Matteo.

Goals: Emerton 8, Pedersen 90, Gallagher 91.

Bournemouth: Neil Moss, Broadhurst, Howe, Maher, Cummings, Elliott, Stock (Andrade 96), Spicer, O'Connor, Rodrigues (Holmes 74), Hayter (Connell 74).
Subs not used: Stewart, Coutts.

Goals: O'Connor 13, Broadhurst 82, Spicer 115.

Att: 7,226

THE MANAGER:

UXvJN9W.jpg

The man who took the winning spot-kick that day is the same man who will be stood in the Bournemouth dugout on Saturday. A local lad who was a regular on the Dean Court terraces, Eddie Howe rose through the youth ranks and spent most his professional career with the Cherries, albeit broken up by a brief and unsuccessful stint at Portsmouth. The former centre-back returned to play for his boyhood club in 2004, and within a couple of years he was promoted to player-coach by manager Kevin Bond. Along with coaching and first-team responsibilities, Howe was handed the opportunity to coach the reserve team. However, due to a persistent knee injury, Howe was forced to retire at the age of 27, but continued to coach until Bond was sacked in 2008.

Howe's time as part of the backroom staff had clearly left an impression because he was soon brought back to Dean Court as a youth coach by then manager (and ex-Rover) Jimmy Quinn. In December 2008, after the sacking of Quinn, Howe took over the side on a caretaker basis. It was less than a month later that Howe was confirmed as full-time manager and he managed to save the club from relegation, overcoming a 17-point deduction at the start of the season for entering administration. At the start of the 2009-2010 season, Howe won eight out of the nine games, setting a new club record, and helped secure the club's promotion to League Two. However, in January 2011, on his way home from work one night, Howe took a wrong turn and somehow ended up at the Dingledome. By the time he'd realized his mistake it was too late, and Howe served a year there as manager under duress before Bournemouth could negotiate his safe return to the outside world.

Since returning to his boyhood club, Howe has picked up from where he left off and last season guided the club to second place in League One, clinching promotion to the English second tier. The last manager to achieve this was Harry Redknapp back in 1987, which was a landmark achievement at the time, and the club remained there for three years before dropping into the lower leagues again. As I type this, Bournemouth currently find themselves 8th in the Championship table. They've lost only 1 in their last 4 games, and despite losing their unbeaten home record against Blackpool, the Cherries have only lost once in their last nine home games in all competitions, and won the other eight.

AWAY GROUND INFO:
(courtesy of http://www.footballgroundguide.com)

HIEQLzM.jpg

What's Goldsands Stadium Like:
The stadium has been greatly improved with the addition of the Ted MacDougall Stand at the South End of the stadium. Although temporary in nature, the stand which is named after a former centre forward, fills what was an open end, making the ground four sided. The stand itself was erected in the Summer of 2013 and looks quite impressive. Having a capacity of 2,400 seats it is of a decent size and is all seated. The only drawback is that it has a couple of supporting pillars at its front.

The rest of the stadium was literally built in 2001 in a matter of months. All three stands are of roughly the same design and height and are quite smart looking, with the Main Stand having a row of executive boxes to its rear. Each is a covered single tiered stand, with good views of the playing action with perspex windshields at each side. One nice touch is that the windshields to either sides of the stands have been brightened up with the addition of some huge player photos. The stand roofs have perspex panels allowing more light to reach the pitch. There is also a small video screen installed beneath the roof of the Main Stand towards the South End.

When the new stadium was built the pitch was rotated 90 degrees from its old position. So if you ever visited the old ground, try figuring out where the old Brighton Beach End was located! Originally known as Dean Court the ground was renamed the Goldsands Stadium in 2012 under a corporate sponsorship deal. The stadium is completed with a set of unusual looking floodlights that are situated in the open corners.

What Is It Like For Visiting Supporters:
Away fans are located on one side of the Energy Consulting East Stand, which is situated at one side of the pitch. The normal allocation for this area is 1,500 seats, but this can be increased to 2,000 if required. The stand is shared with home supporters and offers a good view of the playing action. The facilities are okay a normally there is a good atmosphere. I had a fairly relaxing visit to the stadium with no problems experienced.

By Car/Parking
Follow the A338 towards Bournemouth. The ground is situated on the left of the A338 in the outskirts of town. You should be able to spot the tops of the ground floodlights on the left. Otherwise leave the A338 via the slip road which is signposted Kings Park/Football traffic. You will then reach a small roundabout at which you take the second exit into Kings Park Drive. The entrance to the stadium and car park are down this road on the left. The car park at the ground is of a good size, however please note that this costs 50p per hour, otherwise you may find yourself with a penalty ticket for your trouble.

Post Code for SAT NAV: BH7 7AF

By Train:
The nearest train station is Pokesdown which is roughly a mile from the ground and is around a 15 minute walk away. However, most trains arrive at Bournemouth Central, which is around a half an hour walk to the ground. Either try to get a train to Pokesdown or grab a cab (£7-£8). If you do arrive at Pokesdown Station (which is served by trains from London Waterloo), then exit the station (there is only one exit) and turn right down the main Christchurch Road (A35). Proceed for about 400 metres and then turn right into Gloucester Road. Dean Court is located down the bottom of this road. Thanks to Andy Young for providing the directions from Pokesdown Station.

If you arrive at Bournemouth Central, then leave the station by the South exit, thereby facing an Asda Supermarket. Turn left and walk down to the main Holdenhurst Road. Turn left (going away from the town centre) and then keep straight on along Holdenhurst Road for around 25 minutes, reaching the Queens Park pub (recommended by this Guide). Continue straight on past the pub until you reach a roundabout at which you turn right into Kings Park Drive. The ground is down the bottom of this road on the left. Alternatively you can catch a Yellow Number 33 bus to the ground, normally a half hourly service. Come out of Station again by the South exit, facing Asda and turn left until you get to a Texaco Garage. There is a bus stop with shelter on the same side of the road. Ask the driver to be let off near Kings Park Drive. Please note that if you decide to use the same service coming back, take a yellow number 2 bus as this is a circular service'. Latest bus timetables can be accessed by visiting the Yellow Buses website. Thanks to Richard Barnes for supplying the directions from Bournemouth Central.

HOW THEY SEE IT:
Regrettably, I wasn't able to procure a Bournemouth eye view of tomorrow's game.

... Here's a picture of a duck:

bcMLPvn.jpg

That's a great preview, mate. Really enjoyed that - thanks.

anybody remember a promotion year win in 1975 when we won 1-0 at Ewood courtsey of a Graham Oates diving header at the Blackburn End? eat your heart out Ted MacDougall

Excellent preview worth waiting for !!!!

Bournemouth have won 3 out of their 4 home games 2 of the wins came against 10 men, Blackpool also managed to beat them with 10 men.

Maybe they are not that good at home, but then again we are pretty poor away are'nt we.

Just thought it was an interesting stat though.

Championship Trivia Quiz

Data from whoscored.com

1. How many passes, on average, did we make in the Huddersfield game before we gave up possession?
  2. Player stats - two teams have 3 players rated in the top 20? QPR is one, what’s the other?
  3. I’m not sure what a key pass is exactly but it sounds impressive. We have one player rated 5th overall in the “number of key passes per game” ratings table, just behind Joey Barton. Who?
  4. On another positive note - of the 356 rated players we only have two in the bottom 100. Who?
  5. Out of 8 matches so far we have FIVE Man of the Match performances – all to different players! JR and TC are easy guesses; who are the other three? (HINT: No JKg.)

Answers 1. Four 2. Brunley 3. AJ 4. 278 CT and 279 JL 5. LB JL TK

Unless we don't sit back too much and close them down all over the pitch from the off i fear a repeat of the Doncaster game. We are due an away win and i hope it comes tomorrow but i'll go

2 - 1 to Bournemouth ( Cairney)

9,512 (789 Rovers)

Archived