BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Victor Zapata-Caceido

neophox

I believe this is wrong.

What Sugar I believe was tryign to refer to was the perception that foreign players should be rated as good just because they are foreign. This is a trap some fans fall into. Carlos Villanueva (ironically), although possibly not the best example as he did have talent, but was fundamentally unsuited to the British game.

There is a derogatory element to what he said, but I think to get the ike over it is to be a bit hyper-sensitive.

People tend to be more excited when the club signs exotic foreigners. You also look at someone like Rochina, who is talented, but people seem to scoff at the fact that a local player in Dunn could possibly be more talented.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't be deliberately obtuse. "Carlos Kickaball" - those two words together are a derogatory term used for foreign players, as coined by the delightful Lord Sugar during a xenophobic rant about the game. I don't see why people like Jim need to single out not wanting "them" sorts of players (despite having no informed opinion on said player's ability, btw), when I generally thought we wouldn't want ANY player stealing a wage here, no matter where he comes from. Would you find a serious journalist using such a term?

But naaah, let's whine about political correctness instead of actually constructing an argument. That'll do.

You really do live in your own little "political correct bubble" and see racism in every word. My argument is actually about those - not including yourself of course - who seem to have made political correctness a religion. I have seen political correctness at work first hand and seen careers and lives destroyed by it. Unfortunately, we have now got to the stage where every innocent remark is examined at great length as paranoia runs riot. At the time I saw nothing xenophobic in what Lord Sugar said and still don't so I suppose we will have to agree to disagree.

To take the debate back to Victor Zapata- Caceido I really do have to ask if we need another player on the wage bill. I couldn't care less about his nationality simply has he got talent. We have signed any number of so called promising youngsters over the past few years who have been really disappointing. Edinho, Slew, Molina, Blackman, Ramm, Jorge, Rosado etc all came promising much and have delivered nothing. We are already facing a transfer embargo next summer and we have an Under-21 squad of 20 players or so already. How many do we need? We don't need numbers but what we do need is quality.

You really do live in your own little "political correct bubble" and see racism in every word. My argument is actually about those - not including yourself of course - who seem to have made political correctness a religion. I have seen political correctness at work first hand and seen careers and lives destroyed by it. Unfortunately, we have now got to the stage where every innocent remark is examined at great length as paranoia runs riot. At the time I saw nothing xenophobic in what Lord Sugar said and still don't so I suppose we will have to agree to disagree.

That's a bold generalization to make about someone based on one example. I wouldn't say that I'm in a "political correct bubble". I can challenge political correctness as much as the next man when I feel it's undue, but I judge every case on its own merits. In this case, I do believe "Carlos Kickaball" portrays a negative stereotype of foreign players, and seems to be used by old curmudgeons who are afraid of foreigners taking our jobs and stealing our women.

That's a bold generalization to make about someone based on one example. I wouldn't say that I'm in a "political correct bubble". I can challenge political correctness as much as the next man when I feel it's undue, but I judge every case on its own merits. In this case, I do believe "Carlos Kickaball" portrays a negative stereotype of foreign players, and seems to be used by old curmudgeons who are afraid of foreigners taking our jobs and stealing our women.

I think this statement shows you can use negative stereotyping as well as the next man. ;) Any thoughts on the actual football game today? Did you enjoy it? Personally I thought it was a good old fashioned Lancashire derby.

Good grief.

In this case, I do believe "Carlos Kickaball" portrays a negative stereotype of foreign players, and seems to be used by old curmudgeons who are afraid of foreigners taking our jobs and stealing our women.

my heart is torn asunder as i picture countless foreign players crying all the way to the bank at this heartless characterisation.

how long before the first kickaball siocide?

To take the debate back to Victor Zapata- Caceido I really do have to ask if we need another player on the wage bill. I couldn't care less about his nationality simply has he got talent. We have signed any number of so called promising youngsters over the past few years who have been really disappointing. Edinho, Slew, Molina, Blackman, Ramm, Jorge, Rosado etc all came promising much and have delivered nothing. We are already facing a transfer embargo next summer and we have an Under-21 squad of 20 players or so already. How many do we need? We don't need numbers but what we do need is quality.

I agree with you. I have also seen little people going on power trips, point scoring and closing down debate, silencing people- actually "doing colleagues in", point scoring about language.Liverpool City Council was dreadful a few years ago.

Of course, it is ok to discriminate. We all do it everyday in the choices we make. We just need to take care we are not discriminating on mere prejudice.

Yes, I could name all the Rovers Carlos Kickaballs just like that..Villanueva, the Brazilian Dennis Irwin and Shebby's Potuguese signings,spring to mind.

The Carlos Kickaball syndome also extends to other foreign players, pushed by certain agents.It includes Petrovic( spelling?) as well as Bruno" Irwin"...imo.

.For me the main question about the CK concept is who profits by p*** poor signings that are clearly never in the interest of a football club??!

my heart is torn asunder as i picture countless foreign players crying all the way to the bank at this heartless characterisation.

how long before the first kickaball siocide?

What's a siocide, Bryan?

BTW, if this Zapata Carlos Kickaball is as good as our current Carlos Kickaball, namely Ruben Rochina, then I say sign him up quickly.

• Moderation Lead

yeah you can sign loan players till early December roighly i think.

Nixon is saying Rovers are looking at Craig Davies again

Regarding the last bit- you're better than that Chaddy!!!

Archived