BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers vs MAN CITY FA Cup **NO TICKETS AVAILABLE ON DAY**

It saddens me to see that people on this messageboard can't take a break from all the negativity and bickering even when Rovers put in fantastic performance and earn a replay against one of the best sides in the country.

Great to see Robinson back in goal. Bowyer was very astute today with his tactics and line-up today and was totally validated in opting for Gestede as a lone striker and leaving Rhodes on the bench. If anything I came away from the game feeling disappointed we didn't win as we had Man City a little rattled in that second half. Obviously it would have been nice to see more people there to create an even better atmosphere. But I'm sure all the Rovers fans that attended had an enjoyable time and any Rovers fans watching on TV can only be encouraged by what they saw from the team.

I don't like to compare the league and the cup, they are two completely different competitions. There's something special and different about cup games for me and I really enjoyed today's game.

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can't undo what's been done, true. But the fact they have shown ZERO signs of remorse or acceptance that they messed up is still too much for me to forget about it. A simple 'ok we were wrong' would go a long way and cost nothing. I genuinely think they still think the fans were wrong and they were right with all that went on with Kean etc

I'm no lover of the venkymob and the financial position must be dire but actions speak louder than words and of late there has been much more positivity about the team and the club in general IMO.

• Backroom

Quite frankly I'm happy for Venky's to stay permanently in the background and not say another word. Even if they did say sorry I wouldn't believe them, they've lied too much to be trusted. As Gord says, actions speak louder than words. If they keep quiet and let Gary get on with his job then that will do for now. What they've done to the club will always be unforgivable but unfortunately what's done is done. All they can do now is service our debt and allow Gary to try and get us promoted before the club is in a Bolton-style financial pit.

Very much agree with this. For years Sky's TV competitors have been banging the FA Cup drum with a kind of manic desperation to try and revitalise the waning interest in a competition that now classes as broadcasting leftovers from the PL and Champions League. It may be sad to hear for the older generation but the only people I hear going on about the magic of the FA Cup these days are those trying to make money from it.

Its decline in popularity is presumably a combination of things, but the biggest reason for me is the now horrendously unfair gap in terms of wealth and quality between the haves and have nots. Back in the cup's glory days, all the small teams had to do was get the better of some of Britain's best players, now thats changed to the world's best players, and the chances of managing it have dwindled almost to nothing. I heard a stat that City's bench today cost over 3 times as much as our entire squad. Is it any wonder fans won't spend what little cash they have to watch what 9 times out of 10 would have been a convincing defeat?

And then even if you start getting somewhere in the competition, you then meet a big team in the later rounds who have decided to start taking it seriously. Look what City did to Leicester a few weeks ago in the League Cup. That's the difference between the 3rd round and a quarter final.

Bowyer's decision to leave Rhodes on the bench showed exactly where our priorities lie, and I think Revidge that you'll be just as disappointed with the number of fans we take for the return leg.

Bowyers decision was well thought out and completely logical. It was likely that we would find ourselves under siege for long periods of the match and a centre forward who could actually hold the ball up to relieve pressure on the defence was completely necessary. As it was those city centre halves will well know they have been in a battle this afternoon.

It saddens me to see that people on this messageboard can't take a break from all the negativity and bickering even when Rovers put in fantastic performance and earn a replay against one of the best sides in the country.

Great to see Robinson back in goal. Bowyer was very astute today with his tactics and line-up today and was totally validated in opting for Gestede as a lone striker and leaving Rhodes on the bench. If anything I came away from the game feeling disappointed we didn't win as we had Man City a little rattled in that second half. Obviously it would have been nice to see more people there to create an even better atmosphere. But I'm sure all the Rovers fans that attended had an enjoyable time and any Rovers fans watching on TV can only be encouraged by what they saw from the team.

I don't like to compare the league and the cup, they are two completely different competitions. There's something special and different about cup games for me and I really enjoyed today's game.

Bob on, I wasn't keen on going, thinking we'd be tubbed, but what a good game. Said before, GB is growing into the job. Had a bad two games over Xmas, but last two games have made up for it.

Alone you are not. He's a prat.

Very harsh IMO. He's much better and more perceptive than Hanson,shearer and bloody murphy. Carraghers awful and redknapp bores the pants off me. Best was Lee Dixon but he's gone elsewhere it seems.

Tbh abbey I still don't have a ST but I must say going to ewood now post Kean and Anderson is like standing on top of a mountain breathing clean air after being imprisoned in a sewer for three years.

More like at the bottom of that mountain looking up, but fresh air it is.

Me.... Int pub afterwards. Not only nigredo but also whoever blocked Robinson.

btw I was having a camp for 10 mins or so with 'lawro' who had been to the match. I was waiting to be served and he struck up a conversation with me. He was with a couple of local lads who he is matey with and David Moyes dad. They left after an hour to go and meet up with another nobender .....shelfy.

I asked him if he could refer to Jr as a 'rolls Royce' on motd like he did with Phil Jones so that we could sell him for 20m too. Surprise surprise Lawro reckoned JR isn't prem material and that he is too slow and not strong enough. Reckoned that gestede is a better front man but he doesn't score enough either. We chatted about ex rovers keepers for long enough too. Despite being unpopular on here he seems very easy company and a good bloke with no airs and graces.

As a side issue, don't think Jones would fetch 20m now do you? He hasn't kicked on as I expected at United and won't imo until he concentrates on his best position of centre half and stops trying to be a bogstandard jack of all trades midfielder.

City's goal was clearly offside. If Hanley was blaming Taylor he is wrong as rovers did nothing wrong. Poor officiating.

I thought so too. Funny thing about the media, Fox Sports over here did not even question the offside. Typically they will show replay after replay if there is even adoubt. This one they just moved on did not ever even comment on the possibility of offside. Really really proud if the lads today. Gestede looks the part he was about dead on his feet but improved fitness should come. Well done GB and his young battlers. Disgraceful not to penalise thw keeper for that high foot

• Backroom

As a side issue, don't think Jones would fetch 20m now do you? He hasn't kicked on as I expected at United and won't imo until he concentrates on his best position of centre half and stops trying to be a bogstandard jack of all trades midfielder.

I doubt he's choosing to be a utility man. If he's told to play there then he can't exactly refuse to play.

I would take Premier League football over cup success any time. Winning the Worthington Cup was great but I would have swapped that for PL survival in a heartbeat.

I think it depends what your expectations and aspirations for the League are. If you're good enough to be competitive and finish top half and make consistent runs to the latter stages of Cup competitions I might agree. But there isn't much enjoyment or sense of achievement imo in limping to 40 points each season unless you're newly promoted in which case it's a decent achievement to stay up.

It's good to options though Toppers, we've had very few over the past 3 seasons.

Oh, to be sure, GAV, but we want Rovers to be playing to their strengths. Lowe & Williamson are good at what they do but Evans is a cut above. Him and Cairney would potentially be one of the best midfield pairings in his league. Just don't think we're going to see it realized.

I am very happy with today's performance. This is a team which has heart and is capable of promotion.

As another plus, I was pleased with Fox Soccer 1. They did a good job broadcasting the game. They also seemed aware of the Rovers past history and made some remarks which implied some sympathy for the supporters.

• Backroom

I am very happy with today's performance. This is a team which has heart and is capable of promotion.

As another plus, I was pleased with Fox Soccer 1. They did a good job broadcasting the game. They also seemed aware of the Rovers past history and made some remarks which implied some sympathy for the supporters.

You didn't cross the pond to attend? You should probably go and support burnley :P

Did you hear anything about offside for citehs warren Barton is a dick and shoild just not comment on Brfc. I felt some of the history lesson was to highlight our lower level now

I'm no lover of the venkymob and the financial position must be dire but actions speak louder than words and of late there has been much more positivity about the team and the club in general IMO.

Yes lots more positive with Bowyer and the team turning things around. I might even get a half season ticket. But don't forget we still haven't got anything like a fit and proper board of directors, no chairman or FD. Not sure how sustainable that lack of leadership is. If venkys were serious they wouldn't leave the club without a proper structure.

You didn't cross the pond to attend? You should probably go and support burnley :P

I have nothing against Burnley. I haven't meet any of them and the few posters I've read (such as longsiders) seem like decent folks.

But I have to decline supporting them. I took a year or two watching games around 2005 to decide to support the Rovers, which I did because its a club with soul. I don't feel inclined to change.

The only other club that I feel any sort of positive affection for is Rochdale, as I saw a couple of their games back in 2010 and drank a lot of beer with some of their supporters. It was a good time.

Did you hear anything about offside for citehs warren Barton is a dick and shoild just not comment on Brfc. I felt some of the history lesson was to highlight our lower level now

I don't think it was mentioned. Just some platitudes about that's what they've come to expect from Negredo. I will concede I didn't spot the potential offside until mentioned on this board.

Viasat (Sweden) mentioned the offside straight away and showed plenty of replays... Also noticed a couple of handballs that could have been given (not should - just that sometimes you see them given).

Mentioned that they thought city were "ordinary" today and that Rovers looked the more likely winners throughout despite the setback prior to halftime.

Good lad, Harry (I'm guessing that's your lad ES)

Yes ... thanks for that ... he had a fantastic day. Got autographs from all the players before the game ... they came across as a really sound bunch of lads ... and Gary Bowyer took time out to have a chat with him ... again he came across really well. Now for the replay ... my eldest lad is mascot for that one!

Archived