BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers vs MAN CITY FA Cup **NO TICKETS AVAILABLE ON DAY**

ROVERS V MANCHESTER CITY

FA CUP THIRD ROUND

JANUARY 5th - EWOOD PARK KO 15.00

Once again glamour of the FA Cup descends upon Ewood for yet another season…

David vs Goliath……A special day for all the clubs and fans involved….

But that was yesteryear….yes, there was a heavy amount of sarcasm in there…

Once upon a time, the FA cup was special – now it has become a burden, the bigger the club the bigger the disrespect shown towards the competition.

It will certainly be a Manchester City reserve side that turns out at Ewood on Saturday, it will more than likely be a very understrength Rovers side that is put out

The leagues have far more importance to the teams involved to risk any of the start attractions.

And this is a shame for the game and the competition…..

A MAN CITY POTTED HISTORY

Manchester City

Formed : 1880 as St. Mark's (West Gorton) – 1894 as Manchester City

Home Ground : City of Manchester Stadium

Nickname : The Citizens, The Sky Blues

Honours :

First Division Winners 1936-37 ; 1967-68

Premier League Winners 2011-12

FA Cup Winners 1904 ; 1934 ; 1956 ; 1969 ; 2011

League Cup Winners 1970 ; 1976

Cup Winners' Cup Winners 1970

Up and down seems to be the history of City
City gained their first honours by winning the Second Division in 1899; with it came promotion to the highest level in English football, the First Division. They went on to claim their first major honour on 23 April 1904, beating Bolton Wanderers 1–0 at Crystal Palace to win the FA Cup. In the seasons following the FA Cup triumph, the club was dogged by allegations of financial irregularities, culminating in the suspension of seventeen players in 1906, including Captain Billy Meredith, who subsequently moved across town to Manchester United
In the 1930s, Manchester City reached two consecutive FA Cup finals, losing to Everton in 1933, before claiming the Cup by beating Portsmouth in 1934. During the 1934 cup run, Manchester City broke the record for the highest home attendance of any club in English football history, as 84,569 fans packed Maine Road for a sixth round FA Cup tie against Stoke City in 1934 – a record which still stands to this day. The club won the First Division title for the first time in 1937, but were relegated the following season, despite scoring more goals than any other team in the division Twenty years later, a City team inspired by a tactical system known as the Revie Plan reached consecutive FA Cup finals again, in 1955 and 1956; just as in the 1930s, they lost the first one, to Newcastle United, and won the second. The 1956 final, in which Manchester City beat Birmingham City 3–1, is one of the most famous finals of all-time, and is remembered for City goalkeeper Bert Trautmann continuing to play on after unknowingly breaking his neck.
in 1967–68, Manchester City claimed the League Championship for the second time, clinching the title on the final day of the season with a 4–3 win at Newcastle United and beating their close neighbours Manchester United into second place. Further trophies followed: City won the FA Cup in 1969, before achieving European success by winning the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1970, beating Górnik Zabrze 2–1 in Vienna. City also won the League Cup that season, becoming the second English team to win a European trophy and a domestic trophy in the same season.
The final trophy of the club's most successful period was won in 1976, when Newcastle United were beaten 2–1 in the League Cup final.
A long period of decline before being relegated in 1996. After two seasons in Division One, City fell to the lowest point in their history, becoming the second ever European trophy winners to be relegated to their country's third league tier
After relegation, the club underwent off-the-field upheaval, City were promoted at the first attempt, achieved in dramatic fashion in a play-off against Gillingham. A second successive promotion saw City return to the top division, but this proved to have been a step too far for the recovering club, and in 2001 City were relegated once more. Kevin Keegan replaced Royle as manager in the close season, and achieved an immediate return to the top division as the club won the 2001–02 Division One championship, breaking club records for the number of points gained and goals scored in a season in the process
By 2008, the club was in a financially precarious position. Thaksin Shinawatra had taken control of the club a year before, but his political travails saw his assets frozen. Then, in August 2008, the club was purchased by the Abu Dhabi United Group. The takeover was immediately followed by a flurry of bids for high profile players; the club broke the British transfer record by signing Brazilian international Robinho from Real Madrid for £32.5 million. During the summer of 2009, the club took transfer spending to an unprecedented level, with an outlay of over £100 million on players Gareth Barry, Roque Santa Cruz, Kolo Touré, Emmanuel Adebayor, Carlos Tévez and Joleon Lescott.
Continued investment in players followed in successive seasons, and results began to match the upturn in player quality. City reached the 2011 FA Cup Final, their first major final in over thirty years. They defeated Stoke City 1–0 in the final, securing their fifth FA Cup, the club's first major trophy since winning the1976 League Cup. In the same week, the club qualified for the UEFA Champions League for the first time since
City went on to win the 2011-12 Premier League title, although the strong form waned half-way through the season, and City at one point fell eight points behind their bitter rivals with only six games left to play, an unprecedented slump by the previous champions allowed the blue side of Manchester to draw back level with two games to go, setting up a thrilling finale to the season with both teams going into the last day equal on points. Despite City only needing a home win against a team in the relegation zone, they still managed to fall a goal behind by the end of normal time, leading some of United's players to finish their game celebrating in the belief that they had won the league. Two goals in injury time – including one scored almost five minutes after normal time had elapsed – resulted in an almost-literal last-minute title victory, City's first in 44 years, and became only the fifth team to win the Premier League since its creation in 1992
After an end to the season which many believed would only spur City on, however, the following season failed to capitalise on any of the gains made in the first two full seasons of Mancini's reign
In his place was appointed the Chilean Manuel Pellegrini who boasted a far more impressive Champions League record but less of a reputation for trophy-winning.

HEAD to HEAD at EWOOD

Blackburn Wins = 33

Draws = 10

Manchester City Wins = 15

Last home meeting in the league was 1st October 2011

Blackburn Rovers 0 – 4 Manchester City

Although famously the last home FA cup win was 11 March 2006, with a 2-0 quarter final win

PLAYERS WHO PLAYED FOR BOTH in recent years include:

Roque Santa Cruz

Andrew Cole

Paul Dickov

Andy Morrison

And Brian Kidd played for City and relegated Rovers back in 1999

MY PREDICTION

As mentioned right at the start of this preview, I think that both sides will not give the competition the respect that it used to deserve.

City will have their eyes on regaining the Premier League, and with another cup semi-final looming for them in the Carling Cup, plus a first ever European Champions League last 16 game also to look forward to, It would be a foolish manager to risk too many of the first team superstar regulars for this game.

Having said that, the reserve side that they will most likely put out, will have its fair share of stars

Rovers on the other hand, have become an enigma, especially at home. As attackingly good as they were for the second half against Birmingham, they were defensively shocking for the first half, and toothless and uninspired against Sheffield Wednesday.

Yet away from home, we look a different side.

A lot will depend on which Rovers turn up and what team is put out.

However, all that said, I think we have the ability to be masters of our own downfall defensively and this will be the key to our result. Too many individual errors have cost us, and any repeat of those and City will comprehensively put us to the sword.

Unfortunately I cannot see any sign of cup glory this season, and an early exit beckons.

Much as it pains me to say it, I will go for a 4-1 City win

Tony

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks majorstyre for the preview. 

I've just changed the title a bit to inform people that there'll be no tickets available on the day on police advice. You'll have to get them before Friday evening: 

http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/tickets-rovers-v-man-city-1231479.aspx

Ridiculous decision by the police to demand this on a Thursday before the game when they knew full well the size of the away following the day the draw was made.

Ridiculous decision by the police to demand this on a Thursday before the game when they knew full well the size of the away following the day the draw was made.

I'd say the police will have had intel, possibly from the club that large amount of City fans will be trying to buy tickets in home areas. I remember the game City were promoted at Ewood and it certainly wasn't nice so I'm not overly surprised.

You have the option to call the club or book online for the next couple of days and collect on the day of the game, I'd say most people could purchase by one of those methods.

Thanks for the preview.

We should be able to play with some freedom in this fixture and express ourselves. That's if we get a kick of course. Be good to see our current team against the very best around and I am looking forward to this fixture. The key thing for me is to avoid injuries to key players and for all to be in good health afterwards for the league programme ahead. I love the FA Cup, but nothing is bigger than promotion this year for us and all resources need focusing and concentrating to that end only.

Hard to predict a Rovers win, but I am going to anyway. 1-0. COYB.

Looking forward to this one. Leeds was our big game this week and we won it so we can just enjoy this game.

City have the best squad in the country so, of course, they'll win but hopefully a decent performance and bumper crowd from us. We have to make changes to the team as many have played in all of the festive fixtures. I'd rest key players like Rhodes and Cairney, we can't risk them getting injured in a cup game.

I'd like to see the 16 year old winger get a game, what a debut that would be for the guy. Would also like to see Kilgallon, Rochina, and O'Sullivan involved.

What are the odds on the Venky brothers attending this one. They seem to turn up for the big clubs.

Looking forward to this one. Leeds was our big game this week and we won it so we can just enjoy this game.

City have the best squad in the country so, of course, they'll win but hopefully a decent performance and bumper crowd from us. We have to make changes to the team as many have played in all of the festive fixtures. I'd rest key players like Rhodes and Cairney, we can't risk them getting injured in a cup game.

I'd like to see the 16 year old winger get a game, what a debut that would be for the guy. Would also like to see Kilgallon, Rochina, and O'Sullivan involved.

What are the odds on the Venky brothers attending this one. They seem to turn up for the big clubs.

I sincerely hope they don't show up. If we never see them again it will be too soon.

Archived