BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nottingham Forest vs. Rovers - Saturday 18th January 2014

It's still a stupid selection. If he must pick Williamson and Lowe, and we want to win the midfield battle. How about:

Lowe Williamson

King Cairney Marshall

That way we have a threat on the counter in King, and Cairney able to dictate in a free role.

Yep, no complaints there. I would perhaps start with Taylor instead of King, but I appreciate the counter-attack idea. What I would say is that when Cairney played that role earlier in the season he wasn't as effective. Not sure why because he certainly has the talent to play the No.10 role.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He'll play Lowe and Willo today I expect. Forest have a decent midfield with Reid, Moussi and Lansbury. If you give Reid space in this league he will murder you, very talented player. The battle will be in the middle I expect so perhaps might see 4-5-1

Thing is Cairney keeps hold of the ball better than any of those 2 so if we want to win the midfield battle then we need to keep hold of the ball. Needs to play in the midfield.

Thing is Cairney keeps hold of the ball better than any of those 2 so if we want to win the midfield battle then we need to keep hold of the ball. Needs to play in the midfield.

Really interesting debate this one and I appreciate both sides of the argument. Last week I was asking for Cairney to play in the middle because we'd lost our hold on the game. Having said that, in the last few games i've seen us e.g. Birmingham and Doncaster - in the first half we have murdered teams with Willo and Lowe in the middle. Birmingham was ridiculous because we were all over them and 3 down, and against Doncaster, we pretty much controlled the game in the first half.

Yep, no complaints there. I would perhaps start with Taylor instead of King, but I appreciate the counter-attack idea. What I would say is that when Cairney played that role earlier in the season he wasn't as effective. Not sure why because he certainly has the talent to play the No.10 role.

Cairney was much more effective there than on the wing.

How about:

----------Williamson

------Taylor Cairney

King --------------Marshall

I would probably play:

Williamson Cairney

King Dunn Marshall

personally as I think Dunn could grab the midfield battle by the scruff of the neck, and that team would give Forest something to worry about.

ROVERS: Eastwood, Henley, Dann, Hanley, Spurr, Williamson, Lowe, Cairney, Taylor, Marshall, Gestede.

Subs: Kean, Kilgallon, King, Dunn, Rhodes, Morris, Goodwillie.

Jordan Rhodes is only on the bench having not trained this week

Robinson is expected to be out for a week with a hamstring strain.

• Backroom

DJ may be off to Millwall then

I wonder if Rhodes not playing is actually tactical but we didn't want a backlash after all is he's for enough for the bench you'd think he would be fit to start

Let's just hope they don't have many shots on target

Rhodes is indeed on the bench. I'd say that is tactical as well as the fact he hasn't trained much. We need to win the midfield battle so playing 5 in midfield and 1 up front makes sense. Gestede is a better lone front man than Rhodes. Cairney will start on the right but him and Taylor will rotate.

Other things we can learn from the team sheet: DJ is on his way as is Rochina. Goodwillie back in the squad but don't expect him to be here come the end of Jan.

Apparently two clubs are now after Best. If we can shift Best, Goodwillie and DJ in this window then that's a very successful window. We'll also probably see a new striker come in if, indeed, those players do leave.

ROVERS: Eastwood, Henley, Dann, Hanley, Spurr, Williamson, Lowe, Cairney, Taylor, Marshall, Gestede.

Subs: Kean, Kilgallon, King, Dunn, Rhodes, Morris, Goodwillie.

Jordan Rhodes is only on the bench having not trained this week

Robinson is expected to be out for a week with a hamstring strain.

No bench warming for Rochina? Is he on the way to the Spanish 2nd division?

Notsogoodwillie, nooooooooooooooo!.

I'm not so confident, but I hope we can get away with a score draw here........so I'm gonna go for 2-2.

I'm not convinced about this Rhodes `injury`. I think it's purely tactical but can you imagine the backlash if GB came out and said he dropped Rhodes for tactical reasons?! It's much easier to just say he's got a slight knock.

Don't think his `injury` has anything to do with him potentially leaving the club either.

• Backroom

Id have done the same today tell Rudy to batter them for an hour and make it hard for them then bring on the goal machine to terrorise them with half an hour left

Archived