BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] READING V ROVERS Sat 22nd Feb 2014

TBTF

My last sentence wasn't aimed in your direction - apologies if that is how it reads. I thought about not quoting you as it was only you assertion that "it's not our fault" that i disagreed with as i feel that we should each take responsibility for our words/actions.

Again - i apologise unreservedly if my post seemed aggressive towards you.

I couldn't argue with that. Maybe the point is that the "untouchables" have created the context -one that no supporter should have to experience. One aspect of the context is that the wrongdoers have flown or are absent, leaving "the innocent" Bowyer, trying to make a fist of things, as the only one visible.

I am so conscious how the mood on the message board goes to such extremes, according to how well the team has performed. I don't know whether this is normal for a football message board, but I suspect not. I think it is all about leakage. Unresolved anger leaking out-sometimes inappropriately- at every opportunity. While I do think the anger is quite reasonable, what doesn't feel right is the overreaction when we lose or some of the comments ( not all) about Bowyer. I also know that the anger is far from healthy, as implied by some posters earlier.

I think the owners could show leadership with some acknowledgements, but we know that aint happening any time soon.

I keep being reminded of the Rovers teams I so loved to follow in the 70's and 80's, who were ignored by supporters who had stayed bitter after the 60's cup final. Stuart Metcalfe, Tony Field, Kit Napier and co did not deserve that.They never ripped off supporters or sold tickets on the black market. Nor did any of them put their ego before the team, the club and the whole town by pretending to be fit for a cup final.

If this was entirely fair, a divine hand would lift us straight back to the premier league and , at a stroke, merely reinstate what we had before everything was stolen. That isn't going to happen, so what does that mean for the way I behave from hereon in?

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Winning when we've played badly isn't to be frowned upon given our league position. Football people always say it's an important trait if you aim to win anything. Hopefully we can crack on and keep up this form of two losses in 15 til the end.

Mike I just picked your post as it's one of several dotted around different threads on the same topic. I wasn't aware we'd only lost 2 from 15, though I think it is 3 from 15 - lost to Ipswich, Forest and Birmingham since December 3rd. That's a small point which isn't relevant.

What I do feel is relevant is this. Without checking each table I think we have been "four points off the play offs" since Christmas. Plenty if fans feel this is good progress and given all that has happened in the last three years I can see why. I'm not complaining. This position tells us two things:

There isn't a team, or teams, good enough to secure 6th and possibly 4th and 5th.

We've taken 26 points from the last 45 which if maintained would give us 72 for the season - 68 was good enough for 6th last year but then 79 was automatic promotion!!

I still feel the five points we chucked away at Christmas will prove decisive. Had we won those the momentum would have been excellent but as it is we haven't taken advantage of other teams being apparently as inconsistent as us.

Not sure it is so much those points as the ones that Hanley cost us away at Wigan.

How nice would it be to go into the last game of the season knowing that we could get a little bit of redemption by beating Wigan to a play off spot. Them sending us down was one of the worst feelings I've had in football, could go some way to putting it right by putting one over on them.

it wouldn't be so bad would it? If we go in with no real expectation of winning then nobody is going to be disappointed if we go crashing out.

Saying that, if we did somehow not only get into the playoffs but get through to the final and face Burnley...

:unsure:

You're having a laugh DE, expectation will go through the roof if we make the play offs and as Abbey says above, they're horrible, especially if you lose.....

That's the risk granted. Was it Gayle who missed the penalty at Ewood in the first leg to virtually kill the tie off.

I'm ashamed to say that I don't remember. Like Swindon in the playoffs, getting knocked out of the cup by Brentford, City on the way to the title, getting relegated by Manyoo and a few others I've tried to erase it from my memory.

Under normal circumstances I would be delighted to sneak into the play offs this season, a real unexpected bonus and I would be quite relaxed about it. With the Facecombers potentially involved however, I'd rather give it a miss. I'm approaching the half century and I don't think the ticker would take it.

Delighted with the win the yesterday. If Reading had won, we would have been 7 points outside the playoffs and I think our chances of making the playoffs would have been done. I don't care how we win at the moment, just as long as we do. When you are as desperate as we are, you can't be picky!

Great result and I was most impressed by our fighting spirit in the second half to hold on. Although we sat way too deep and invited pressure on, reading never created a clear cut chance. Fans played their part too, a surprisingly good atmosphere,

I'd caution too much excitement though - we weren't that good and I still think we struggle to create chances with the current set up. As many have said - it worked today but over the season it hasn't been quite good enough. We have quite a tough run of fixtures now and I fear wasted points over Christmas and the late equalisers conceded against derby and Barnsley will cost us. I foresee us finishing a couple of points out of the play offs but hope I'm wrong.

Finally I think some of the abuse bowyer gets is well out of order. Yes we may disagree with some of his selections and tactics but overall he is doing a very good job, especially given it's his first stint as a manager. The teams above us all have good, experienced managers so he is competing well imo

That's the risk granted. Was it Gayle who missed the penalty at Ewood in the first leg to virtually kill the tie off.

The worst thing about it was they went up the other end and scored. 4.0 became 3.1 and that then led on to my worst experience ever as a Rovers fan away at Selhurst Park.

Great result yesterday. Made up. Chuffed for those that travelled. Well done to all involved including Willowe.

Howler I don't think Bowyer has had any abuse from what I have read. He has had criticism for sure and some from me included.

We are some way off the pace of the best teams and in the pack for the final play off place. Surely pointing out to Bowyer why we have come up short so far is not being abusive. I like the guy and think he nrings great integrity back to the role as manager which is breath of fresh air after recetn times.

I still think we can point out where the shortcomings are and the univeral view on all the opinions I have read is our central midfield two. As you said yesterday we were not that good and that needs to be addressed.

We all know how important this season is for the club after wasting last year. Bowyer cannot keep faith with a very pedestrian and uncreative midfield and not expect adverse commentary on that decision. This seasons defeats have been down to some individual errors , Hanley, Kane, Kean and Eastwood in particular but from a team point of view it is the lack of ability to control the game from midfield

I'm ashamed to say that I don't remember. Like Swindon in the playoffs, getting knocked out of the cup by Brentford, City on the way to the title, getting relegated by Manyoo and a few others I've tried to erase it from my memory.

Under normal circumstances I would be delighted to sneak into the play offs this season, a real unexpected bonus and I would be quite relaxed about it. With the Facecombers potentially involved however, I'd rather give it a miss. I'm approaching the half century and I don't think the ticker would take it.

First post ive agreed with you :) ha.

I will tell the yunkers on here ,hand on heart the play offs are total evil.They janglate your brain.They make you feel sick and thats when you win.When you lose which many of have witnessed then imagine losing to Burnley and times it by 1000. They are seriously that bad.

A selection of comments from a Reading fans forum curiously entitled 'Hob Nob Anyone?'.

Pretty clueless against a good well organised side

Blackburn had a game plan & they stuck to it. Their back line was rock solid. They also used the time wasting, feigning injury, breaking up play perfectly.

Thought we were average today and Blackburn looked good and knew what they were doing

No idea, no second game plan, all we did was continually pump the ball up field to give the Blackburn central defenders heading practice.

Blackburn came to do a job and we played right into it.

Blackburn thoroughly deserved the points with a classic away performance.

Credit to Blackburn they defended well, took their chance and used gamesmanship to the limit

What a fantastic day out yesterday, thoroughly enjoyed myself and what a great win, turning point for me was when matt kilgallon deliberately hand balled it in the area to scoop it away from their striker whilst on the floor, i knew that then when they didn't get the pen it wasn't their day, also big thanks to royston drenthe for missing the sitter and putting it wide.

But big praise for bowyer and the team, we set out well with the 442 and when we didn't have the ball rush would drop in to make it a 451, rhodes did well i feel and gave them some headaches, and conway was full of running which i was impressed with.

so thats 3 live games for me so far this year and 3 wins! thats never happened before,

And well done to all fans that went yesterday, the atmosphere pulled us through that gruelling last 11 mins to get the win.

Williamson and Lowe getting a lot of praise in today's newspapers. Both got very high ratings and Williamson was give MOTM by a couple of papers. Games like Reading away are exactly the type of games we need to play two defensive midfielders. It is games, particularly at home, against the likes of Brum and Sheff W that we need to be more adventurous and not play two defensive midfielders.

It's interesting that most of us said Rhodes desperately needed a big man to play alongside him but he's barely scored a goal since Gestede came in. We are, however, a far better all round team and rely far less on Rhodes when we have Gestede holding the ball up. It's been quite promising that our recent good spell has not been reliant on Rhodes, it has been a team effort which is promising for when Rhodes inevitably leaves.

What a fantastic day out yesterday, thoroughly enjoyed myself and what a great win, turning point for me was when matt kilgallon deliberately hand balled it in the area to scoop it away from their striker whilst on the floor, i knew that then when they didn't get the pen it wasn't their day, also big thanks to royston drenthe for missing the sitter and putting it wide.

But big praise for bowyer and the team, we set out well with the 442 and when we didn't have the ball rush would drop in to make it a 451, rhodes did well i feel and gave them some headaches, and conway was full of running which i was impressed with.

so thats 3 live games for me so far this year and 3 wins! thats never happened before,

And well done to all fans that went yesterday, the atmosphere pulled us through that gruelling last 11 mins to get the win.

We should club together and buy your tickets for all the remaining games!

I was interested to see your comments about Williamson. Didn't he draw newspaper accolades for his game against Arsenal in the cup last year? I know he has got something, but it seems patchy.

We were owed the Kilgallon decision. I heard Adkins going on about the pattern of them not getting decisions-particularly against Rovers...

Delighted with the win the yesterday. If Reading had won, we would have been 7 points outside the playoffs and I think our chances of making the playoffs would have been done. I don't care how we win at the moment, just as long as we do. When you are as desperate as we are, you can't be picky!

Actually would have been 10 points so the win was crucial.

We should club together and buy your tickets for all the remaining games!

I was interested to see your comments about Williamson. Didn't he draw newspaper accolades for his game against Arsenal in the cup last year? I know he has got something, but it seems patchy.

We were owed the Kilgallon decision. I heard Adkins going on about the pattern of them not getting decisions-particularly against Rovers...

They had a stonewall penalty appeal turned down at Ewood.

I wonder why we look solid in defence now? Scott Dann was good wasn't he? Or at least decent? Or absolute garbage. Having to play him in front of Kilgallon all season, just to keep his value up has been costly.

Good win, I said we'd get beat which makes complete sense. We still won't progress into a potential premier league outfit with those 2 in midfield. I haven't seen the game or listened to it to know how they played but I've seen over half a season to know that 1 win won't change my opinion of that. I'll always give the manager credit when a win comes our way so fair play to him.

Question for anyone who went yesterday... How did Conway play? Sounded like he had a decent game.

I wonder why we look solid in defence now? Scott Dann was good wasn't he? Or at least decent? Or absolute garbage. Having to play him in front of Kilgallon all season, just to keep his value up has been costly.

Good win, I said we'd get beat which makes complete sense. We still won't progress into a potential premier league outfit with those 2 in midfield. I haven't seen the game or listened to it to know how they played but I've seen over half a season to know that 1 win won't change my opinion of that. I'll always give the manager credit when a win comes our way so fair play to him.

Question for anyone who went yesterday... How did Conway play? Sounded like he had a decent game.

I was impressed with Conway, he seems full of running and really hard working, not the quickest but seems technically good and kept possession well, also has a decent cross.

So in summary the total opposite to josh king

Makes you think doesn't it? Funnily enough the main culprit was called Rochina!

Delighted, fantastic result. Unfortunately I didn't go and was sat in a pub in blackburn today - overheard; "burnley are 2 up" "yes I still go - I've a season ticket" (like it's an excuse) "we can kiss all hopes of the play offs goodbye after today" "it's 3 nil now". Barely a mention when we scored though.

I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour, but heaven knows I'm miserable now.

"Not to worry, soon be dead, if I'm lucky".

Personally I'd have been quite happy if we'd have lost. Then I could have taken to social media and slagged the whole thing off again, the fat slag, the confused keans, the shelf peddling loose canon PNE supporting lofty look a like walking question mark, that is Del Boy Shaw. But hey! We won!

The utter pragmatism of this season, the fact that reality has set in, the realisation that MS Excel does have a use. That P&L actually means something to our club. All that should be applauded. Quietly. But it's right.

Without wanting to come across all thenodrog, I'll say this. The utter contempt and hatred I had for Anderson and Kean when they chose fit to sign Myles. That turning point. That complete and utter two fingered salute. That "we're in charge now, what the feck are you going to do about it - we've friends in high places you losers!" thing. Well this is what we get. This is what we have.

There is no quick fix here. We'll pay for a while yet. There really shouldn't be any surprises here at all. How long can you stay THAT angry? I mean, it's just not humanly possible. Bitter? Always. In a face to face meet? Well...

You know the names. You know who signed them. You know none of it was done for the betterment of our club. And you also know it was all "steve keans" doing.

Balls bigger than King Kong that lad. All his doing. All Venkys idea? Ha - never! It wasn't even well done. You put a front up, a man to take the blame? Just don't antagonise the fans eh? It could have gone on so much longer - until it got really embarrassing in that Hong Kong bar. Millions of pounds down the swanny. What a tit.

It will take time. There is no quick fix, there never was going to be. From the moment Williams left (the crash) to the moment Myles signed (the head through the windscreen). That was it.

I actually read "Bowyer out" today on this thread. 12 months ago we were being run by moustachioed egotistical clown. Small steps, run the contracts down, and slowly improve. Get the pride back.

There's no other way, there's no other way, all that you can do is watch them play.

Bob, I actually posted "Bowyer out". It was meant tongue in cheek but I got such a hostile reply from DE, a poster who never goes to a match and witnesses the lads on the pitch, that I saw red.

I still believe that it is bad tactics to play Lowe and Williamson together in midfield but I do not want Bowyer sacked. He has done well this season to put this squad together but I do believe he needs some help on team choice. He is a rookie and needs some guidance.

Bob, I actually posted "Bowyer out". It was meant tongue in cheek but I got such a hostile reply from DE, a poster who never goes to a match and witnesses the lads on the pitch, that I saw red.

I still believe that it is bad tactics to play Lowe and Williamson together in midfield but I do not want Bowyer sacked. He has done well this season to put this squad together but I do believe he needs some help on team choice. He is a rookie and needs some guidance.

From you?

Archived