BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] READING V ROVERS Sat 22nd Feb 2014

TBTF

• Backroom

Sadly DE, some seem to want to shut their eyes to the fact that we are in a mountain of debt and have owners who have destroyed the club, and appear to have been forgiven by some despite NEVER apologising or offering 'mitigation' as m1st puts it.

We seem to be getting back to normal on the face of things, and with that come the normal moans and groans and frustrations from our position. My 'mitigation' is that despite a fortuitous win today, Bowyer continues to play the same sorry midfield game after game. Once or twice this works but, from the games I have seen, it more often doesn't.

I won't apologise because I don't pretend our troubles are over because of one win.

We've won 12 times so far this season and are four points off the playoffs, so I'm not sure what your last line means. Nobody is forgetting what Venky's have done to the club but that doesn't excuse some of the ridiculous posts regarding the manager. Our troubles off the pitch are a cause of great concern and so they should be, but on the pitch I think it's fair to say we are competing as best we can with the resources we have. Gary trains with these players every day and whilst I'm no bigger fan of the Lowe/Williamson pairing than you, the manager believes this is the best way to set up at present and with our league position and overall form in mind I find it incredulous that he would be so harshly and unnecessarily criticised for that decision.

It's not so much the criticism of Bowyer that gets to me, it's more than nastiness behind a lot of the comments. As the man who brought stability back to this club Bowyer deserves a lot more respect than some on here are giving him, and it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth when I read some of the comments on here both pre and post-match. I have to assume it's a hangover from the past few years of rank bad management, as I know some of the posters on here are better than this. Bowyer hasn't even had a full season in charge, he's got us within touching distance of the playoffs and arrested what appeared to be a terminal decline, he's done some very good business in the transfer market and shifted a lot of the dross we'd been lumbered with over the past couple of seasons - and for some reason the knives seem to be out for him every week. I find it really disheartening.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm picturing it going down to the last game of the league season, Us against Wigan for 6th place

and in my dreams id like to play and stuff qpr at some point in the play offs(Arry rednapp my arse) Ideally id like to see us and Burnley both get promoted(but if we have to stomp over them in the playoffs, then so be it!)

side note- we really need to improve our GD as it could easily be the deciding factor(Rhodes needs to get his scoring boots back on pronto)[/quote

You want burnley going up ?? This proves your officially a total WUM

In ordinary circumstances we wouldn't be sqabbling about Bowyer all the time. He's a decent man who has put together a good young side and created a great atmosphere in which they can develop.

If the Raos had a 3 to 5 year plan Bowyer would be a very good choice.

The problem is I'm guessing they have no plan at all. If it really is kean or bust then they should have appointed the most experienced manager they could get their hands on and let Bowyer learn from him.

Our anxiety comes from the huge debt hanging over us and having no idea about how Venkys will deal with it.

Hence we swing from game to game calling it by the day. Its not our fault.

We've won 12 times so far this season and are four points off the playoffs, so I'm not sure what your last line means. Nobody is forgetting what Venky's have done to the club but that doesn't excuse some of the ridiculous posts regarding the manager. Our troubles off the pitch are a cause of great concern and so they should be, but on the pitch I think it's fair to say we are competing as best we can with the resources we have. Gary trains with these players every day and whilst I'm no bigger fan of the Lowe/Williamson pairing than you, the manager believes this is the best way to set up at present and with our league position and overall form in mind I find it incredulous that he would be so harshly and unnecessarily criticised for that decision.

It's not so much the criticism of Bowyer that gets to me, it's more than nastiness behind a lot of the comments. As the man who brought stability back to this club Bowyer deserves a lot more respect than some on here are giving him, and it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth when I read some of the comments on here both pre and post-match. I have to assume it's a hangover from the past few years of rank bad management, as I know some of the posters on here are better than this. Bowyer hasn't even had a full season in charge, he's got us within touching distance of the playoffs and arrested what appeared to be a terminal decline, he's done some very good business in the transfer market and shifted a lot of the dross we'd been lumbered with over the past couple of seasons - and for some reason the knives seem to be out for him every week. I find it really disheartening.

Sadly it seems that message boards encourage posturing and intransigence. There appears to be no shades of grey. Some posters adopt a position on a subject and simply won't change from their stance. They end up painting themselves into a corner and, as a result, defend their position with strange propositions and outlandish statements.

Parsonblue is one of the boards most respected posters. Whilst I don't agree with everything he posts he does so from the perspective of not having an axe to grind and watching most games. His thoughts on Bowyer and the job he has done are spot on for me.

I'm picturing it going down to the last game of the league season, Us against Wigan for 6th place

and in my dreams id like to play and stuff qpr at some point in the play offs(Arry rednapp my arse) Ideally id like to see us and Burnley both get promoted(but if we have to stomp over them in the playoffs, then so be it!)

side note- we really need to improve our GD as it could easily be the deciding factor(Rhodes needs to get his scoring boots back on pronto)[/quote

You want burnley going up ?? This proves your officially a total WUM

in an ideal world id like to see as many north west teams as possible back in the prem.

p.s. You do realise just because something winds you up doesn't mean that that was their intention.

In ordinary circumstances we wouldn't be sqabbling about Bowyer all the time. He's a decent man who has put together a good young side and created a great atmosphere in which they can develop.

The problem is I'm guessing they have no plan at all. If it really is kean or bust then they should have appointed the most experienced manager they could get their hands on and let Bowyer learn from him.

Our anxiety comes from the huge debt hanging over us and having no idea about how Venkys will deal with it.

The vitriol spewed in Bowyers direction is entirely our fault - as you say he is an honest and decent man who has built a good young side and totally changed the spirit/mentality within the squad. Today we won a vital match against a decent team on their own turf and every possible reason for not being happy about that is being trotted out - simply put we scored a goal and they didn't.

The "venkys" defence wears very thin when it is trotted out as an excuse for negativity bordering on hatred towards a promising manager and certain players. I don't buy the argument that "it's because of the debt" when someone calls our manager a knob and denigrates all that he has done in short time. If you want to discuss venkys - do it in the @#/? venkys thread.

I must not be in the mood to put it as eloquently as that. But that post sums things up exactly.

The vitriol spewed in Bowyers direction is entirely our fault - as you say he is an honest and decent man who has built a good young side and totally changed the spirit/mentality within the squad. Today we won a vital match against a decent team on their own turf and every possible reason for not being happy about that is being trotted out - simply put we scored a goal and they didn't.

The "venkys" defence wears very thin when it is trotted out as an excuse for negativity bordering on hatred towards a promising manager and certain players. I don't buy the argument that "it's because of the debt" when someone calls our manager a knob and denigrates all that he has done in short time. If you want to discuss venkys - do it in the keaning venkys thread.

Hang on, I'll make any comment I like in whatever thread appears to be suitable! I thought my post was a conciliatory one whereas you just want a scrap. Have it on your own!

Hang on, I'll make any comment I like in whatever thread appears to be suitable! I thought my post was a conciliatory one whereas you just want a scrap. Have it on your own!

My last sentence wasn't aimed in your direction - apologies if that is how it reads. I thought about not quoting you as it was only you assertion that "it's not our fault" that i disagreed with as i feel that we should each take responsibility for our words/actions.

Again - i apologise unreservedly if my post seemed aggressive towards you.

Hanley and Killgallon were rock solid, Robbo no saves of note. Best moment apart from goal was when Robbo did a two handed punch to clear the ball and took 5 players out, 3 rovers and 2 Reading. Now that is a dominant keeper. I've never been to a game with a combined add on time of 11 mins, but we were never at panic stations. Henley played well, Jordan chased everything. Best chant was aimed at Reading fans, "sit down and behave yourselves" x 4, after one of their crew was being ejected. Mind you, they must be the least threatening set of fans in football.

• Backroom

Winning when we've played badly isn't to be frowned upon given our league position. Football people always say it's an important trait if you aim to win anything. Hopefully we can crack on and keep up this form of two losses in 15 til the end.

Rovs fans on good, and amusing, form today. Their best player lost all confidence when a chant of "he's got bird @#/? on his head" was aimed his way - he had a nice dyed blond topping on his mullet.

We're 4 points off the playoffs with a game in hand so how have you come to that conclusion?

We're 4 points off the playoffs with a game in hand so how have you come to that conclusion?

Do i really need to explain ? It's ok jumping through hoops after a good away win but im talking about most performances this season, many of the away ive seen. It would have been no suprise to draw today or get thumped. Today it all worked as it should but plenty of times it hasn't and it's cost us. Imo we could/should be a few points better off and some of that is down to the stuff rmentioned. If you persist in going a certain way then eventually it will come off, i hope it continues then i can eat my words and GB would be right all along. Im a Bowyer fan but do question some stuff.

I was gonna quote the same post myself and highlight the irony of someone calling Bowyer a 'negative nob' before the match had even started. Considering we've only lost 2 out of our last 15 league games i can't quite grasp the hatred shown towards Bowyer on this match thread.

Makes you think doesn't it? Funnily enough the main culprit was called Rochina!

Delighted, fantastic result. Unfortunately I didn't go and was sat in a pub in blackburn today - overheard; "burnley are 2 up" "yes I still go - I've a season ticket" (like it's an excuse) "we can kiss all hopes of the play offs goodbye after today" "it's 3 nil now". Barely a mention when we scored though.

I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour, but heaven knows I'm miserable now.

"Not to worry, soon be dead, if I'm lucky".

Personally I'd have been quite happy if we'd have lost. Then I could have taken to social media and slagged the whole thing off again, the fat slag, the confused keans, the shelf peddling loose canon PNE supporting lofty look a like walking question mark, that is Del Boy Shaw. But hey! We won!

The utter pragmatism of this season, the fact that reality has set in, the realisation that MS Excel does have a use. That P&L actually means something to our club. All that should be applauded. Quietly. But it's right.

Without wanting to come across all thenodrog, I'll say this. The utter contempt and hatred I had for Anderson and Kean when they chose fit to sign Myles. That turning point. That complete and utter two fingered salute. That "we're in charge now, what the feck are you going to do about it - we've friends in high places you losers!" thing. Well this is what we get. This is what we have.

There is no quick fix here. We'll pay for a while yet. There really shouldn't be any surprises here at all. How long can you stay THAT angry? I mean, it's just not humanly possible. Bitter? Always. In a face to face meet? Well...

You know the names. You know who signed them. You know none of it was done for the betterment of our club. And you also know it was all "steve keans" doing.

Balls bigger than King Kong that lad. All his doing. All Venkys idea? Ha - never! It wasn't even well done. You put a front up, a man to take the blame? Just don't antagonise the fans eh? It could have gone on so much longer - until it got really embarrassing in that Hong Kong bar. Millions of pounds down the swanny. What a tit.

It will take time. There is no quick fix, there never was going to be. From the moment Williams left (the crash) to the moment Myles signed (the head through the windscreen). That was it.

I actually read "Bowyer out" today on this thread. 12 months ago we were being run by moustachioed egotistical clown. Small steps, run the contracts down, and slowly improve. Get the pride back.

There's no other way, there's no other way, all that you can do is watch them play.

• Backroom

Rovs fans on good, and amusing, form today. Their best player lost all confidence when a chant of "he's got bird kean on his head" was aimed his way - he had a nice dyed blond topping on his mullet.

Heard people singing that the other week to a Blackpool player with a blonde Mohawk but it made no sense as it looked nowt like it

Each to their own

47er this sums up exactly why our owners are different from others there was an interview with Forest's owner on SSN this morning and he was talking about a five year plan 1st year get to the PL 2nd year stabilise in the Prem 3rd year get to mid table in prem 4th year top 10 5th year get in top six. With our owners my worry is if by some stroke of luck we get into the play offs and go up to the prem I don't think our owners have a plan on what is needed to stay in the prem having said that I still hope we can get a play off spot. I must say today our very own boy wonder was superb today held the ball up well passed it accurately today and was a superb assist for conway's goal although should have scored today I hope now he can get his shooting boots on in time to hopefully stuff the trotters and dingles!

Delighted, fantastic result. Unfortunately I didn't go and was sat in a pub in blackburn today - overheard; "burnley are 2 up" "yes I still go - I've a season ticket" (like it's an excuse) "we can kiss all hopes of the play offs goodbye after today" "it's 3 nil now". Barely a mention when we scored though.

Personally I'd have been quite happy if we'd have lost. Then I could have taken to social media and slagged the whole thing off again, the fat slag, the confused keans, the shelf peddling loose canon PNE supporting lofty look a like walking question mark, that is Del Boy Shaw. But hey! We won!

The utter pragmatism of this season, the fact that reality has set in, the realisation that MS Excel does have a use. That P&L actually means something to our club. All that should be applauded. Quietly. But it's right.

Without wanting to come across all thenodrog, I'll say this. The utter contempt and hatred I had for Anderson and Kean when they chose fit to sign Myles. That turning point. That complete and utter two fingered salute. That "we're in charge now, what the feck are you going to do about it - we've friends in high places you losers!" thing. Well this is what we get. This is what we have.

There is no quick fix here. We'll pay for a while yet. There really shouldn't be any surprises here at all. How long can you stay THAT angry? I mean, it's just not humanly possible. Bitter? Always. In a face to face meet? Well...

You know the names. You know who signed them. You know none of it was done for the betterment of our club. And you also know it was all "steve keans" doing.

Balls bigger than King Kong that lad. All his doing. All Venkys idea? Ha - never! It wasn't even well done. You put a front up, a man to take the blame? Just don't antagonise the fans eh? It could have gone on so much longer - until it got really embarrassing in that Hong Kong bar. Millions of pounds down the swanny. What a tit.

It will take time. There is no quick fix, there never was going to be. From the moment Williams left (the crash) to the moment Myles signed (the head through the windscreen). That was it.

I actually read "Bowyer out" today on this thread. 12 months ago we were being run by moustachioed egotistical clown. Small steps, run the contracts down, and slowly improve. Get the pride back.

There's no other way, there's no other way, all that you can do is watch them play.

Good stuff bob. Passionate and perceptive.

One of the pleasures this evening for this glass-half-full fan and supporter of our team has been to trawl through this thread and read some of the comments from "fans" of what we used to be proud to call This Great Club Of Ours. The pre-game negativity is pathetically amusing in the light of the result.

Some of you make me realise why, apart from contributing the occasional Preview, I almost never post on here. I know that singling out contributors is invidious; but honestly posts like this:

posted 3/4 hour before kick-off, is beyond the pale. It is the last comment I could find from this individual and to be honest, it makes me sick that the individual who posted them has not had the courtesy, after the game, to offer some mitigation of them.

I realise that we all have our own views of Rovers' players and I'm not saying that Lowe & Williamson would necessarily be my first choices in midfield but such ill-tempered vituperation reflects badly on the person who left that comment and, by extension, on the Board itself.

i haven't been on as ive been to hospital after snapping my leg thankyou very much!! I hated the starting line up and still do its negative ..i am also very happy we won long may it continue but less negativity from tactics would be nice that's all!

i haven't been on as ive been to hospital after snapping my leg thankyou very much!! I hated the starting line up and still do its negative ..i am also very happy we won long may it continue but less negativity from tactics would be nice that's all!

You should be free to voice any opinion who so genuinely feel about Rovers (as long as it's within board guidelines). Of course, others may take issue with it, and you need to be able to substantiate it, but I hope no-one on here feels intimidated into holding a certain point of view because otherwise they'd feel bullied.

I have a certain point of view, and I know there are people on here who'd disagree with that, that's part of having a messageboard. I'm willing to tolerate the views of others, even if they seem lame or pathetic. I feel everyone should extend this courtesy, rather than throwing a tantrum about it and start moralising.

I was one of those slagging the selection and I am happy to be wrong. Make no bones this was a HUGE win forbus today. Now can we keep it goi g or will they break our hearts again. Any news on Tom. I feared the worst. Also feared.the worst that todays ref was card happy but we got through with no reds.

Must have been! Williamson was solid throughout the game. Granted he had a few iffy moments in the second half but other than that he got my vote for MOTM. Read the game well and spread the ball out well to the wings. Put in some solid tackles/interceptions as well.

As for Kilgallon, yea he played pretty well but he blatantly pushed the ball away from the reading player with his hand. It was a stonewall penalty and we're just lucky the ref and linesman didn't see it!

I must have been at a different game than you, LondonRover. Willo was shocking. Always looking to pass back & it put us in trouble time after time.

Without a doubt, Killa was MoM. Best defensive individual performance I've seen all season, from any club. All the back 5 played well. Also thought Rhodes looked really sharp in the first half.

Very enjoyable day. Despite their possession, we never really looked like losing. Thoroughly professional.

As someone else said, very perceptive.

And I think thats the whole point Bob, there really is no other way. The last 3 years have all been a bit of a hideous blur.

Archived