BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Skool Days and Rovers Connections

Following on from the Isle of Man thread I thought it might be interesting to see what schools board members had been to and what connections their old school might have had to the club.

To kick things off, my old place, St Mary's College up at the top of Shear Brow, produced a number of Rovers players over the years, including Mike Duxbury who, last I heard, was working as a PE teacher in Wigan..

There must be folk from John RIgby, Darwen Vale, Pleckgate, QEGS etc who come on here, who could tell a tale or two of their Rovers connections.. Anything for a bit of nostalgia to lift the gloom that has enveloped the club and supporters in recent times..?

I went to Billinge, besides me, the only player of any note during my time was a lad called Neil Parker who got a couple of games for Leeds in the seventies. I also played snooker for the Sportsmans Arms with John Bailey.

I've known Tom Smith, Lancs CCC, since a few days old. Nicky Reid and Jason Queally live a couple of hundred yards away. Laura Massaro taught my lads to play squash - not well enough!!

Not really relevant though but does show what a small world it is.

Oh and Iain Dowie has planning permission for a house in the village - so yes Dowie is moving to the area, rumours, rumours, rumours!!

John Bailey used to call at Station Garage in Fensicowles for petrol on his way home after games at Ewood. I worked there pumping petrol for a while, and Tony Parkes used to live in a semi-detached right opposite. Roger Jones had a house on Holly Tree Village for a while too, and John Butcher (goalie) used to ship about 20 pints in the Beechwood before staggering off down Green Lane (not sure where or why) - but it might explain his performance between the shticks..

• Moderation Lead

Brett Ormerod went to my Primary School (Great Harwood County Primary-formerly Western County), David Dunn went to St Wulstan's just down the road....

Nobody from my secondary school (St Christopher's Accy) other than (England ladies goalkeeper Rachel Brown) made it pro that I can recall, same goes for St Mary's College.

David Lee, not a Rovers player but often on the Blackburn End was several years above me at St Michaels in Chorley. Went on to have a good career with Bury then Bolton etc, always thought he would have been a good signing for us.

David Lee, not a Rovers player but often on the Blackburn End was several years above me at St Michaels in Chorley. Went on to have a good career with Bury then Bolton etc, always thought he would have been a good signing for us.

He was best mates with my mate .. Top lad .

I was a couple of years above James Beattie at QEGS. Remember him being in the first eleven playing alongside 6th formers when he must only have been a 3rd year (that's year 9 to you youngsters!)

No stories, just a fact. Oh and apparently he was spotted in the Henry Tate in Chorley a couple of Fridays ago.

Brendan Flood, ex Board member at the Dingle Dome was in the same year as me at St Mary's College. Interesting to see he's fallen out with the snout snufflers crowding around there now that there's the possibility of serious money going into the club from the Premier League trough. Always seemed a decent chap, apart from clearly being deluded in his choice of club to support ;)

St Marys College produced Mick Higgins and John Waddington who both played for Rovers. I can't recall if Mick played for the first team in a league match but John was a regular back in the day. In the same intake of apprentices as Mick Rovers also had Dave Eastwood and Paul Read who were both Blackburn schoolboys.

Same year at St Mary's College as John Waddington.Long after his football retirement,was asked if I knew how he was going on.I stated that as far as I knew he ran a small card shop in Gt Harwood.Within a matter of days news broke how he had sold his business for MEGA MONEY.He now enjoys a lifestyle I could only dream of.Hallmark of success!

Dave Lee was on Rovers books as a youngster. Played with me for years as kids at Gregson Lane and St Gerard's in Lostock Hall. Also played for Southampton with Flowers, Ruddock, Etc. I also played with Franz Carr, Nigel Greenwood and Nigel Gemson if anyone remembers those. Derek Fazackerly played first team cricket with me in the Palace Shield. Best fielder we had.

Thought so but wasn't sure. I always wanted Rovers to sign him up from Bury. Franz Carr he was another with big potential but didn't we grab Forests money for him before he played in the first team ?

Mick Stowell was a few years older but went to my school. Oh how I laughed as Rovers put 4 past him when he played for Citeh. It was on the same day as the Hillsborough disaster.

Gavin McCann also some years after I left.

Our games teacher laughed at me when I said I was a Rovers fan. He said they played old fashioned football with wingers. The prick said that Long Ball was the way to play. He scouted for Watford in the north west ( Graham Taylor era).

Was at CRGS, sadly Martin Dobson went to the sixth form & captained 1st XI, so we don't talk about it......but I've still got my letter from BRFC in 74 asking me to go & train with the youth team at Shad.......god it was cold up there in the 70's!

Made Manchester Poly's 1st XI for a while, later playing for Grindleton......sorry!

Brendan Flood, ex Board member at the Dingle Dome was in the same year as me at St Mary's College. Interesting to see he's fallen out with the snout snufflers crowding around there now that there's the possibility of serious money going into the club from the Premier League trough. Always seemed a decent chap, apart from clearly being deluded in his choice of club to support ;)

Back on the board now infact, just in time for the big promotion pay out.

Same year at St Mary's College as John Waddington.Long after his football retirement,was asked if I knew how he was going on.I stated that as far as I knew he ran a small card shop in Gt Harwood.Within a matter of days news broke how he had sold his business for MEGA MONEY.He now enjoys a lifestyle I could only dream of.Hallmark of success!

I see John Waddington occasionally for a pint (he stops in Higher Wheelton) when he comes back from his properties in Portugal. He was recently selling one to Joey Barton !! He has done very well for himself.....a nice chap.

Alan Spence (ex Darlington, Rochdale and Bury) was my games teacher at Wellfield in Leyland. He got upset and fell out with me when I was caught snogging the pretty French student teacher who was lodging with Mr and Mrs Spence (I also took the French lass to Rovers a couple of times to show her what English lads were really like). I am sure Spency was jealous of my young love.

Archived