BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfers - In & Out

Are you really comparing those players to Varney??? We already have depth, we need to improve the 1st 11, not the 40-50 squadies we already have.

Well that depends, do you want to compare BRFC with Chelsea, United, Arsenal and Spurs or are we going to agree that it's all relative and that squads often have 'utility' type players who can do a job for you throughout a season.

We already have depth do we? Who's our third striker then? Pick carefully from Goodwillie, Best or Campbell, who together have a grand total of 5 goals throughout their Rovers careers :glare:

I'm sure we do need to improve the first 11 Maj, but it's about 85 days until the season kicks off and Bowyer is currently in India discussing the way forward with the owners (my assumption is that this will include transfer budgets). Any chance we can give him a little bit of time or do new regulations state that we can only sign one player this summer?

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that depends, do you want to compare BRFC with Chelsea, United, Arsenal and Spurs or are we going to agree that it's all relative and that squads often have 'utility' type players who can do a job for you throughout a season.

We already have depth do we? Who's our third striker then? Pick carefully from Goodwillie, Best or Campbell, who together have a grand total of 5 goals throughout their Rovers careers :glare:

I'm sure we do need to improve the first 11 Maj, but it's about 85 days until the season kicks off and Bowyer is currently in India discussing the way forward with the owners (my assumption is that this will include transfer budgets). Any chance we can give him a little bit of time or do new regulations state that we can only sign one player this summer?

Nice tone.

Everyone of those players, played at the highest level possible and some were very good at one stage. Has Varney got anything like that experience? Could he pass that on? Has he even been promoted to the premier league? I cannot believe you think Blanc, Owen, Saha are utility players? 2 out n out strikers and a top top CB, hardly utility.

Given you have named 3 strikers then you've answered your own question really. We have 5, do we need 6? Best has 5 goals, Varney has?

Well since Keane has returned to united and was in the 1st 11, I'll repeat the same answer to the previous question, you've already answered it. Obviously we do. When you have money to spend do you run out and buy the first thing you see? Or do you take time to consider things etc etc? A 3rd choice striker is hardly our burning desire and there will be loads available all window, it's a buyers market these days.

All the other points are just tosh as I made no mention of those points in the negative to you.

Nice tone.

Everyone of those players, played at the highest level possible and some were very good at one stage. Has Varney got anything like that experience? Could he pass that on? Has he even been promoted to the premier league? I cannot believe you think Blanc, Owen, Saha are utility players? 2 out n out strikers and a top top CB, hardly utility.

Given you have named 3 strikers then you've answered your own question really. We have 5, do we need 6? Best has 5 goals, Varney has?

Well since Keane has returned to united and was in the 1st 11, I'll repeat the same answer to the previous question, you've already answered it. Obviously we do. When you have money to spend do you run out and buy the first thing you see? Or do you take time to consider things etc etc? A 3rd choice striker is hardly our burning desire and there will be loads available all window, it's a buyers market these days.

All the other points are just tosh as I made no mention of those points in the negative to you.

Perhaps back-up would be a more appropriate term? Squad thickeners? Call them what you like. They were brought in really just in case of injuries or fatigue, or for last 10 minute cameos. Due to United situation at the time I believe that Blanc actually played more games than expected, as did Flamini until they got everyone back fit. Another example would be lad who Arsenal signed in Jan who unfortunately got an injury. Never going to play regularly but he could do a job in certain games.

So you're telling me you want to persist with Goodwillie, Best and Campbell? Jesus.

Answered what?

Precisely, you take the time to consider whether respective players fit into your plans. How long has Bowyer been watching Varney now? 3 - 4 months day in day out? And how many times have you seen him in the flesh Maj?

Bowyer must have seen something to make him think Varney will bring something to the squad and given his very decent record in the transfer market I'm quite prepared to trust that judgement.

Varney is an odd one , he hasn't shown anything in his loan time here worthy enough to be offered a permament deal , but , in the area of the pitch where he operates i.e wide , striker and/or off the front man, we have question marks over the future of so many players . Its possible Best Campbell Rochina Taylor Judge Ollson Dunn could ALL be leaving this summer , the squad would look pretty thin if that were to happen , perhaps Bowyer took the opportunity to get that piece of business done early , i'm not trying to justify it or agree with it just looking for reasons for it

Perhaps back-up would be a more appropriate term? Squad thickeners? Call them what you like. They were brought in really just in case of injuries or fatigue, or for last 10 minute cameos. Due to United situation at the time I

A utility player is one who can play in a variety of positions. Those mentioned cannot. http://www.aboutmanutd.com/man-u-players/laurent-blanc.html, 71 starts out of 75 apps, great squaddie!!!

I like the way you have only tackled that point, thanks or 1-0 as they say in football.

?

Which is still 5 more than Varney and Feeney put together .

Varney is a difficult one.

Is solid but nothing more - will work hard for the team. Ok in the air. So maybe able to play a role if one of Rhodes or Gestede is out for a short period.

The issue I have with his signing is at the moment we still have Best Campbell Rochina on our books. I would like to see us get rid of those first.

Yes he offers some thing different to those players - probably stronger and more physical and better in the air. I would think Bowyer sees him as a replacement for Gestedes role if he gets injured.

The problem is what happens if we cant shift those players - their wages are I suspect pretty high!

Yes Varney can play a wide role to a point as well - but don't we have enough alternatives there to not need him! Conway, Marshall, King, Taylor, Cairney, Olsson, Judge - I know some of those will most likely be moved on. Again part of me would like to see the ones Bowyer doesn't want moved on first

I suppose part of it could be Bowyer may need to cover every eventuality this summer as he may not have the opportunity to buy/loan anyone in Jan if we did get a embargo under ffp.

Its pretty scary when you consider the wages some of the players that need to be shifted out as Bowyer wont use them much - Best, Ethuhu, DJ and Rochina must be combined at pretty high wage bill.

A utility player is one who can play in a variety of positions. Those mentioned cannot. http://www.aboutmanutd.com/man-u-players/laurent-blanc.html, 71 starts out of 75 apps, great squaddie!!!

I like the way you have only tackled that point, thanks or 1-0 as they say in football.

1. See above

2. That was an incredibly strange way to end a post on a message board. I bet you've got all your 'results' written in a little black book haven't you.

21/5/14 - Majiball 1 v 0 Jimmy612

19/5/14 - Majiball 2 v 1 Jim Mk2

18/5/14 - Majiball 3 v 0 Chaddy

Maybe Varney needs a Pre-season with his new club and we'll start to see the best of him. I'm not 100% sure but he couldn't have been more than a bit part player at Leeds surely? So wouldn't have been anywhere near match fit.

Bowyer obviously rates him and he sees him day in day out.

Maybe Varney needs a Pre-season with his new club and we'll start to see the best of him. I'm not 100% sure but he couldn't have been more than a bit part player at Leeds surely? So wouldn't have been anywhere near match fit.

I tried to explain that earlier Gav but it appeared to fall on deaf ears because Majiball was already celebrating 'beating me'.

From what I have seen of Varney he is no better and probably considerably worse than Best an Rochina and Goodwilly and DJ are at the very least on a par. We already have them. Varney is a totally useless signing.

Obviously. Still doesn't make it a signing that's going to better our first 11 though does it? He'll never play ahead of an out of form Rhodes or Gestede... Which means it doesn't push our first 11 players and therefore makes it a completely pointless signing.

So they've come in, both are fit and they've barely made a few sub apps whilst training with the squad for a few months each. Surely that just indicates they are no better or worse than what we have? King get fit and Cairney goes inside, feeney didn't do that and Varney pushed no-one for their place as proven by his limited apps.

Whilst I can understand the signing, he's clearly come in and fitted in, we went down the loyalty route way last season. The potential is very strong (wages) that we could be stuck with DJ N Best as well next season, so maybe GB should have said to Varney, Once we shift them I'll bring you in. But for me this summer should be about 1 thing, Quality of player. I have no doubt we could pick up a 1 in 6/7 striker at this level no probs towards the end of the window if needed.

I see a lot in what you say. But, I have come to look at this in another way. Simply, Money.

I had the view that if we were left with one of Best, DJ or Goodwillie then the last one would be a decent 3rd choice. I have spoken to many Rovers fans who have the view that these players 'SHOULD' have been ok at our level.

Another view I had was that if Rovers could shift all 3 and possibly Rochina. Then this would probably be a saving of over £3million per year. A more than adequate amount of cash to get in a 3rd choice striker.

However...The money not spent would not be money saved to reinvest, it would be money not spent that would have been added to the club debt. Simply money that Rovers don't have that would incur further debt and not be money in the bank.

It is my view therefore that the Rovers/Venkys or whoever want them off the wage bill. So simply get Varney in who along with Rittenberg and King push Best, Goodwillie and DJ to 6th, 7th and 8th choice. The sign this gives to the 3 desperados is that they will not play for Rovers again. They could sit it out but I think that they would prefer to be out rather than end their careers sat doing nothing. Will they get decent contracts having not played for years? I think they will want to leave.

The big issue here is that with the parachute payments being less Rovers don't have any disposable money.

I expect that Best and some of the others will just go out on loan again, and Rovers will pick up a small percentage of their salary

as per last season.

Wheelock in the LT said recently that Sheff Weds were paying about a 6th of Best's salary.

However if they decide to cash in on Rhodes maybe GB will be forced to bring Best back into the fold,

who knows ?

Bowyer force to bring Best back into the fold?

Who is going to force this?

Can Rovers afford to pay Best's wages if he isn't starting for us?

Another question, would fans be happy if we keep Best here and Rhodes was sold for financial reasons?

Bowyer forced to bring Best back into the fold?

Who is going to forced this?

I personally doubt that Rhodes is going anywhere, so it probably will not need to happen, but if I was the owner I might just be saying

'we paid £3m for this guy and we're paying him a fortune so you had better play him', do you really think GB would refuse Chaddy ?

I reckon they'd soon be mates again, Gary certainly wouldn't risk losing his job over it, actually him and Rudy might be pretty good

together.

I personally doubt that Rhodes is going anywhere, so it probably will not need to happen, but if I was the owner I might just be saying

'we paid £3m for this guy and we're paying him a fortune so you had better play him', do you really think GB would refuse Chaddy ?

I reckon they'd soon be mates again, Gary certainly wouldn't risk losing his job over it, actually him and Rudy might be pretty good

together.

Or Rudy would become the latest member of the 'Fam' and his attitude might follow :(

Another question, would fans be happy if we keep Best here and Rhodes was sold for financial reasons?

That Mr Chadwick, is a very poignant question. Best isn't in the same league as Rhodes when it comes to finishing. But he is a very good striker at this level. If he was heralded as top dog at rovers then he'd be a good option. I don't doubt that Best is good enough to play a pivotal role for us. But that depends on his attitude. And sadly I think his attitude will be his undoing.

I haven't heard of any problems with Best at Wednesday.

Fam ???

It was said, albeit on here that Best had a little crew at the club that called themselves the fam(ily) made up of his hangers on and a few other players. The manager didn't like this.

I would be shocked if Sheff Wed paid anything towards his wages

If in the grim event that Rhodes was to leave then Best would probably be a shoe in to replace him. Not sure how that would pan out and I certainly wouldn't recommend it but he'd have to be a million times better than any of the others on our books or Luke flaming Varney !

Archived