BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfers - In & Out

Varney over Best/Campbell any day, his attitude and cost make him a much better squad player than them two. Might not be great but solid enough player for this level as a bit part player.

I agree that we need to shift one of the two out of favour strikers before bringing anybody else in though and that might costs us money, but having them away from the squad will benefit us.

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why should he not be allow to sign a striker this summ

We need 4 signings.

Cowie would be very good signing. Experience in the Championship. Has promotion experience aswell.

In today's LT is reporting that we are closing in on Luke Varney. (Messageboard meltdown lol) thought we would sign this summer tbh.

Just for the record I wouldnt sign Varney.

I do love the phrase "closing in on Varney". It implies its been a hard fought battle.

I appreciate he's a trier and can try in many different positions, but every time he comes on I can't help but feel its a total waste of a substitution. I just don't see what he offers. Im sure, if Bowyer asked him to, he'd attempt to plough a field or two. The trouble is we need a footballer and not a shire horse.

I agree with the point about not signing another forward. We still have Goodwillie, Best and DJ on the books. Add Rochina to that and in theory we have 4 strikers we need to get shifted. I'd be happier if at least one of them was out the door before we started looking for another one.

I agree with the point about not signing another forward. We still have Goodwillie, Best and DJ on the books. Add Rochina to that and in theory we have 4 strikers we need to get shifted. I'd be happier if at least one of them was out the door before we started looking for another one.

Rochina will go for sure. He wants 1st team football. He aint going to get that here.

Best wont be 1st team squad. Poor attitude

• Backroom

At the very least we need Goodwillie and Best to leave, but considering the horrendous wages they were signed on it might be hard to shift them.

I'd be happy keeping one of DJ or Rochina, but again wages could be a factor. We'll be paying DJ and a hefty amount and Rochina was signed during Bald 1's reign so chances are he's on more than he's worth too. I wouldn't want to pay £15k+ pw for substitutes so perhaps best to move them on(if possible) and bring in players who represent better value for money.

That's all well and good Chaddy, but we need someone to take Best. He's on big money! We can't just go and sign a 6th striker when we are still paying him £30k a week!

There's lots of players we would like off the wage bill but someone has to want to sign them.

That's all well and good Chaddy, but we need someone to take Best. He's on big money! We can't just go and sign a 6th striker when we are still paying him £30k a week!

There's lots of players we would like off the wage bill but someone has to want to sign them.

Yeah this is very true Ricky but I would say IMO that Best and Goodwillie wont be in Bowyer first team plans. DJ might be.

Abbey, Rochina has said he wants 1st team football. He wont get him in the team ahead of Gestede and Rhodes. Maybe if Rhodes was sold then maybe keep him

I don't think we'll struggle to shift Rochina. He'll probably be the easiest one to move on. He's young and had a decent season in La Liga.

Goodwillie scored a few for Blackpool so again he may be easy enough to shift as well. We won't recoup any money on him but at least he'll be off the wage bill.

I can't see anyone taking a punt on DJ due to the legal case hanging over him. I'd also be surprised if we managed to move Best on without having to at least pay a large chunk of his wages.

They are going for Varney because he's, experienced and has scored goals (1 in 4) over a 350 game career. He has the right attitude and is happy to play second fiddle to Rhodes n Gestede.

Plus there are no guarantee's that they'll get rid of Best, Goodie n DJ. Rochina will be easier.

The keeper issue is interesting...I reckon they'd defo go for a keeper if they could get rid of Robbos wages.

I honestly think a full preseason and more regeneration from being on warfarin will make Robbo one of the best stoppers in the league. His kicking is invaluable in this league... Well perhaps not worth 35k a week.. Let's say useful!

Either way I think GK is not a position we can afford to spend on.

Sorry, but Gary's starting to worry me again. It would be far better to sign young, hungry players as back up. The argument was made that Feeney & Varney were just squad filler/stop gap loan signings to get us through last season. Neither did enough to justify a contract.

They are going for Varney because he's, experienced and has scored goals (1 in 4) over a 350 game career. He has the right attitude and is happy to play second fiddle to Rhodes n Gestede.

Plus there are no guarantee's that they'll get rid of Best, Goodie n DJ. Rochina will be easier.

The keeper issue is interesting...I reckon they'd defo go for a keeper if they could get rid of Robbos wages.

If you sign players who are not as good as the ones you already have which way do you think we are going?

Varney is different to the other forwards we have, free and cheap with plenty of goals and experience at this level. I'm not excited by this but it has to be said it makes sense, especially if he's showing a good attitude in the dressing room. Need plenty of them around.

Varney is different to the other forwards we have, free and cheap with plenty of goals and experience at this level. I'm not excited by this but it has to be said it makes sense, especially if he's showing a good attitude in the dressing room. Need plenty of them around.

No we don't. You pay them a wage and they are not good enough to start a match. Only sign players that improve your team.

Yeah this is very true Ricky but I would say IMO that Best and Goodwillie wont be in Bowyer first team plans. DJ might be.

Abbey, Rochina has said he wants 1st team football. He wont get him in the team ahead of Gestede and Rhodes. Maybe if Rhodes was sold then maybe keep him

He told my mate he wants to stay & I believe my mate unless Rochina has told YOU something else ?

I do love the phrase "closing in on Varney". It implies its been a hard fought battle.

I appreciate he's a trier and can try in many different positions, but every time he comes on I can't help but feel its a total waste of a substitution. I just don't see what he offers. Im sure, if Bowyer asked him to, he'd attempt to plough a field or two. The trouble is we need a footballer and not a shire horse.

Haha. Like I am closing in on a pair of socks from Primark!

If you sign players who are not as good as the ones you already have which way do you think we are going?

And there's the bottom line to all of our troubles Al. Venky's, Kean etc would all have succeeded if we had kept hold of our better players.

Haha. Like I am closing in on a pair of socks from Primark!

Congratulations Leonard. I know you've been pursuing those since January. You must be delighted that you're on the brink if securing your first socks of the summer. I hope because you've purchased early that they will have time to gel with your existing sock collection and by the time August comes around they'll be fully bedded in and champing at the bit.

This is true, whilst we all appreciate a trier he's obviously a poor player and has offered nothing. In a squad that desperately needs trimming and is overloaded with average or poor players then WHY oh why sign another ?

• Moderation Lead

Got to agree about Varney, whilst he's been here he's not shown anything noteworthy, nowhere near as good as Judge or Taylor either, not to mention Marshall, King or Conway!!!

Surely when you sign a player then you want someone that's going to better the team or push the ones that you have to be better. Is Varney ever going to play ahead of Gestede or Rhodes even when they are in poor form? No.

Not impressed.

Archived