BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfers - In & Out

Well it's started folks !

According to 'Football Direct News' Everton are looking at Rhodes.

'Everton are preparing a move' according to a good source at Goodison.

Panic not, our new superhero, the Director of Communication, will put em off with a well-directed tweet

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow....I'm seeing lots of people with agendas on here.. Every manager makes bad signings fortunately for us Bowyers have been low cost and we'll get a fee for Judge.

But his signings in General have been nothing short of superb!! Gestede, Cairney, Evans, Marshall, Conway and Spurr have been immense!! Whilst the rest Taylor etc have been useful to say the least.

I say, stop bleating on about Varney! Yes he didn't set the world on fire but the gaffer likes him and as far as I can see his judgement of people and players has been pretty good so far in his managerial career. Move on!

Wow....I'm seeing lots of people with agendas on here.. Every manager makes bad signings fortunately for us Bowyers have been low cost and we'll get a fee for Judge.

But his signings in General have been nothing short of superb!! Gestede, Cairney, Evans, Marshall, Conway and Spurr have been immense!! Whilst the rest Taylor etc have been useful to say the least.

I say, stop bleating on about Varney! Yes he didn't set the world on fire but the gaffer likes him and as far as I can see his judgement of people and players has been pretty good so far in his managerial career. Move on!

Its not his judgement of Varney the man its his judgement of Varney the footballer. I fully accept that the most successful sides in this division utilise a bit of brawn as well as a bit of brians. But imo, our battering ram is Gestede and we don't need to see the same qualities in a utility man who sometimes plays wide, sometimes up front and sometimes just off a striker. Maybe i'm being harsh and maybe we do need a back up / replacement should Gestede get injurred. But is Varney in that class? Would he have scored, for instance, that header against Watford? He is a strong lad who tries his heart out but can he dominate in the oppositions box like Gestede?

I like Varney as a person (from what i know that is). He seems to be right behind the manager and keen as mustard. But this season, imo, was about adding some real quality to what has the makings of a decent little side. I just don't see how Varney improves the side.

Varney is good defensively and is a good sub option to help shore things up when, say, leading an away game and the front two are tiring. Sounds familiar?

Apart from that, not sure on him, but unlikely to break the bank or the dressing room spirit, and who knows may suprise us all with the odd goal.

If QPR win promote then i can deffo see a Bid for Rhodes coming in.

I think Derby striker Chris Martin would be a good signing for us. Alot depends on today game and whether we sell Rhodes.

QPR is one club I can see offering kind of money for Jordan that Rovers would want. Though Arry has seen a lot of and knows what it takes. Does he see Rhodes as a PL striker or would he go for Crouch again? Or Defoe who seems to follow Arry. I think Jordan will stay for another season but without a promotion he goes and the fee isn't even the £8M we paid.

Sounds like a done deal. "Blackburn made it clear I’d have a settled future there, it was something I wanted to do.”

The rumour at the time was that Varney had signed permanently, yet the fans were told it was on a loan basis only initially allegedly.

For a little balance - many Blackpool fans thought Varney was a good signing for us (granted it was a couple of years ago that he was last there). Personally I wouldnt have signed him - but GB is trying to build a team - if he sees Varney as part of that plan then I will give him time. BTW anyone remember Dickov - no height, limited pace - but hardworking and as such helped the team gel and create chances for others with his selfless running !

http://www.footballdirectnews.com/premier-league-news/50190-everton-step-up-striker-search.php

If we get £10m we can probably pay off Best, Robbo, DJ and Etuhu. Bargain :(

I was more worried last season of Rhodes leaving than this one. Both because of the options we now have and also I don't think Rhodes himself wants to leave and Bowyer will still want to keep hold of him.

Everton on the other hand would be a great club for Rhodes personally should he choose to leave, but if he does want to, I'd be pushing past the 10m mark if we ARE forced to sell him.

It's all down to Rhodes personally. I've seen no indication from the club as yet we HAVE to sell him (even taking FFP into account), more of a determination to continue to push for promotion, which without Rhodes banging in his quantity of goals would be seriously impeded.

Last season without him we were league 1 bound. This year not so much. But the enormity of the task to get back to the Premiership without him doesn't bear thinking about.

That said, we said similar things about the Dingles when the brickie left..

A bit of a conundrum for me. Gestede, Cairney, Evans, Conway, Marshall, Spurr against Marrow ,Songo'o, Taylor, Judge, Eastwood.......Varney?

I know we can only really judge the churn at the end of August, but along with the excellent signings, I worry about the number of journeymen added to an already bloated squad?

My point is that with Bowyer it isn't either or. Our analysis has to include the excellent and the ..er not so excellent!

How can anybody compare Rhodes with Lukaku ? They're nothing like each other in playing style or ability. I thought Martinez was a smart guy, obviously not. I've said it before so I'll say it again Rhodes isn't a starting Premier League level player. Bring him on for the last 20 minutes if you need goals and you want to throw men up front, maybe.

• Backroom

He's saying the right things to be fair to him. His contract and injuries are really not his fault. It would be interesting to see how he does with a full preseason.

For me he's a better defensive midfielder than Williamson or Lowe but is on high wages.

Archived