BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfers - In & Out

He's saying the right things to be fair to him. His contract and injuries are really not his fault. It would be interesting to see how he does with a full preseason.

Agree with that , personally think a fit Etuhu can add a lot of experience to the young squad especially if the manager wants him here for playing reason's .

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now what if Varney happens to work out just fine in the role GB has him pencilled in for how many of todays detractors will hols their hands up and admit they may have been hasty? My guess is every little thing will be scrutinized and dissected and used for the detractors to save face as is most often the case. Unleaded, tou are really trying to compare Varney and Best's situation as a stick to beat Bowyer with. That is ludicrous, Varney did not want to play because injury could have hampered his chance of getting a move away from a club where he was not to figure. Best spouts derogatory remarks all over social meadia, has a "fam" and displays general big time charlieitis and this is considered the same. I had always held you in high regard unleaded but that is one hell of a reach. Give the frickin guy a chance is all.

How can anybody compare Rhodes with Lukaku ? They're nothing like each other in playing style or ability. I thought Martinez was a smart guy, obviously not. I've said it before so I'll say it again Rhodes isn't a starting Premier League level player. Bring him on for the last 20 minutes if you need goals and you want to throw men up front, maybe.

Rhodes with Lukaku? That's sports journalism for you..Steve Kean for manager of the season next!

I honestly don't have any idea if Etuhu is good enough or not. He could play a big role for us or he might be utter dross. I really don't have any idea whatsover.

Hard to form an opinion when 10 minutes playing time gets him another 3 months on the treatment table. Bloody hell he makes dunny seem like an ironman champion.

I honestly don't have any idea if Etuhu is good enough or not. He could play a big role for us or he might be utter dross. I really don't have any idea whatsover.

Yeah but I'd rather give him a chance seeing that we still have to pay him for ANOTHER TWO YEARS (??!!) rather than have him bench warming looking like a minority tick box.

Fair play to him though that he still feels he can come good and personally I'd love him to do it too. A fit and ready Etuhu could be really good for us (also he may catch the eye of a pl team and give us a breather on the wage bill - preferably before he gets injured again!

Agree with that , personally think a fit Etuhu can add a lot of experience to the young squad especially if the manager wants him here for playing reason's .

My first thought would be to get rid permanently if poss to save the wages. If he's fully fit and has the right attitude then we should play him as I'd like to think he'd be better at his job than Lowe or Willo, no guarantees like. It would have to be better than loaning him out and watching him play well for someone else whilst we pay at least 75% of his wages. Unless you were someone or two with something to gain from this of course :unsure:

My first thought would be to get rid permanently if poss to save the wages. If he's fully fit and has the right attitude then we should play him as I'd like to think he'd be better at his job than Lowe or Willo, no guarantees like. It would have to be better than loaning him out and watching him play well for someone else whilst we pay at least 75% of his wages. Unless you were someone or two with something to gain from this of course :unsure:

If he's fully fit then get him on eBay quick.

Get paid, then close the account!

There are some posters who would prefer Gestede and Varney rather than Gestede and Rhodes. :huh:

It worries me a bit that it's a statement of intent from GB, one nil up away take of Rudy for Varney to play a bit deeper an chase down, sit back and hold on from 60 mins. We've seen it before, it'll work sometimes as Reading were tailor made for it, no yet a physical or more direct champ team. To me he seems determined to play this way an it'll come back and haunt him in my opinion. Much rather have someone like Derbyshire to bring on to hit tired teams with a sucker punch, used to be his speciality.

Now what if Varney happens to work out just fine in the role GB has him pencilled in for how many of todays detractors will hols their hands up and admit they may have been hasty?

This one will quite happily. I'm right behind Bowyer, but nobody is beyond reproach. Personally speaking i don't think Varney is a signing which will move the club forward. If he does well for us next season then i'll be delighted.

If he's fully fit then get him on eBay quick.

Get paid, then close the account!

It would end up being one of those non paying bidders. When they realised they'd come in sloshed and bought an Etuhu for 99p they'd be the ones closing the account !

Perhaps, having been at the club for 10+ years, the manager is well aware that a section of the Ewood crowd need a hate figure, and in order to protect the younger players, he's signed one for free.

Let's face facts Al. You've got Varney to berate for the whole of next season. If you didn't have, you'd be the first in the queue to find another target.

I have never berated a player in a Rovers shirt whilst he was on the field so don't come that one, Let's face it you have never met me and don't have a clue so don't make stupid accusations. However the fact remains that some do. Varney is a shoe in for that to happen to. He's just not good enough.

It would end up being one of those non paying bidders. When they realised they'd come in sloshed and bought an Etuhu for 99p they'd be the ones closing the account !

:lol: True enough.

As it appears that Bowyer is going to be playing 4-4-2 next season then we will need 4 strikers and if Varney is signed as fourth choice then I am quite happy with that as long as a striker is brought in who can push Gestede and Rhodes because over 46 games you will need 4 strikers. In regards to Etuhu if we could get him fit and playing regularly then I have no doubt that he would be an improvement on Lowe and Williamson, I thought that he showed that during two good cameo performances against Ipswich and QPR.

I have just seen that Wolves have bid £1 million for Harry Maguire, if I was us I would match that bid as we need another centre back and Maguire is a very good young player and a bargain at that price.

• Backroom

There are some posters who would prefer Gestede and Varney rather than Gestede and Rhodes. :huh:

I wouldn't mind it just because in the vein of the SAS - RAG isn't a good as VAG!

I was more worried last season of Rhodes leaving than this one. Both because of the options we now have and also I don't think Rhodes himself wants to leave and Bowyer will still want to keep hold of him.

Everton on the other hand would be a great club for Rhodes personally should he choose to leave, but if he does want to, I'd be pushing past the 10m mark if we ARE forced to sell him.

It's all down to Rhodes personally. I've seen no indication from the club as yet we HAVE to sell him (even taking FFP into account), more of a determination to continue to push for promotion, which without Rhodes banging in his quantity of goals would be seriously impeded.

Last season without him we were league 1 bound. This year not so much. But the enormity of the task to get back to the Premiership without him doesn't bear thinking about.

That said, we said similar things about the Dingles when the brickie left..

Lets not be daft. If any Premiership club comes in for Rhodes and we can get 8m+ he is gone. No way Rhodes is going to turn down a prem move to stay at Rovers.

That said the article looks like total and utter crap. Everton do not need Jordan Rhodes. I think someone like Stoke/West Brom etc might take a punt on him, but to be honest doubt any of them would pay the asking price as he just does not seem to have the exceptional pace or strength or skill to make a convincing striker in the prem. Great finishing only gets you so far.

• Backroom

If Rhodes' form doesn't imrpove from the last ten games or so of last season I don't think swapping him for Varney would have any noticeable difference tbh.

Problem is we still aren't sure whether Gestede will continue his goalscoring form. His form at the end of last season was atypical in relation to his career so far. It would be great if he could continue in that vein, but JR does have a record of consistant goalscoring which hopefully means he'll be back on form when the season starts - assuming we keep him over the summer.

I say, stop bleating on about Varney! Yes he didn't set the world on fire but the gaffer likes him and as far as I can see his judgement of people and players has been pretty good so far in his managerial career. Move on!

Makes you laugh doesn't it, Bowyers record in the transfer market has been nothing short of remarkable in the grand scheme of things, yet we have the championship manager brigade on here questioning his judgement on Varney.

Laughable!

As for Rhodes, I doubt very much he'll be here next season, it's simply down to the owners, cash in or not?

As for Rhodes, I doubt very much he'll be here next season, it's simply down to the owners, cash in or not?

Of course you believe that. After all you've already taken the Gestede And Varney partnership as your avatar name.

Makes you laugh doesn't it, Bowyers record in the transfer market has been nothing short of remarkable in the grand scheme of things, yet we have the championship manager brigade on here questioning his judgement on Varney.

Laughable!

I can assure you I've never owned or even played championship manager but I've watched Rovers and football for 32 years and know a poor player and puzzling signing when I see one. I'll support the lad 100% but i'll stake my arse on it he'll not be up too much. Don't normally associate high horse posts with your name :(

I can assure you I've never owned or even played championship manager but I've watched Rovers and football for 32 years and know a poor player and puzzling signing when I see one. I'll support the lad 100% but i'll stake my arse on it he'll not be up too much. Don't normally associate high horse posts with your name :(

That's because I don't post 'high horse posts' Tom, that wasn't my intention and he could well turn out to be cr@p, even after a pre-season.

But if you go back 3 or 4 pages and read the complete over reaction to the signing you'd probably understand my sentiments.

That's because I don't post 'high horse posts' Tom, that wasn't my intention and he could well turn out to be cr@p, even after a pre-season.

But if you go back 3 or 4 pages and read the complete over reaction to the signing you'd probably understand my sentiments.

Fair do's but don't worry there will be something else along soon for everyone to squabble about. ST prices out soon although no doubt someone will drag Varney into that !

Archived