BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfers - In & Out

• Moderation Lead

I must admit, I find it hard to believe that Luke Varney is the best striking option available to us in the transfer market. Particularly as no other clubs have done any business yet.

We should definitely be all over Tomasz Kucsczak in a bid to sign him up anyway!

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would I be wrong in suggesting that they cannot be finalised till July 1 anyway? We still only have 2 strikers excluding the "fam" and Rittenberg. Gonna need a big squad and if we have an embargo coming up I say get them in ASAP

• Moderation Lead

In an ideal world I'd keep Best, but that doesn't look to be a possibility. DJ hasn't done the business at all here, and Etuhu, well, I can count on one hand the amount of times I've seen him play!

Goodwillie has never had a proper chance for me either, but I suspect he has no future at the club!!

Underwhelming to say the least. I get he's versatile and that he's a good attitude and we need another striker.

But really if he's not good enough for Leeds, a solidly mid-table team, what makes people think he's good enough for a team with promotion aspirations (needs)? This is not the quality of signing we need, and having already seen him for 3 months here having done the square root of nothing, I cannot see what Bowyer sees in him.

As for that article - load of tosh. But of course everything is rosy at Rovers according to our PR source - I mean paper.

Varney will be signed on a juicy contract then put on the bench then he will ask to go on loan because it suits all parties with Rovers paying 99 percent of the wages...

Varney is a signng that is beyond understanding and the manager should justify his reasoning......

At last we have someone speaking sense on this signing !

• Backroom

Would I be wrong in suggesting that they cannot be finalised till July 1 anyway? We still only have 2 strikers excluding the "fam" and Rittenberg. Gonna need a big squad and if we have an embargo coming up I say get them in ASAP

If I remember correctly contracts tend to end on the last day of June so free agents don't become free until then.

I'm probably wrong mind you!

• Backroom

I'm trying to look at it positively:

This time last season weren't we about to sign Marrow? After that it went uphill :P

Varney is certainly a better starting point than Marrow B)

I thought the days of us being one last pay-day for has-beens were behind us.

Not buzzing about this one.

As others have said - if we are having players come into the squad who aren't as good as the first 11 then they need to be young and progressing to a stage where they are. Varney isn't going to push Rhodes or Gestede to keep their standards high!

Not the signing to make just before season tickets go on sale. I am getting one regardless but Bowyer would generate more of a buzz if he didn't get Varney and said Connolly or Rittenberg were going to be pushing for the first team next season.

Why when we have all summer to find a proper player?

Not according to Bowyer it wasn't.

“Luke was desperate to play and we saw that from his attitude and his performances when he did play for us.

I remember Reading away, he was playing like a centre half at the death. They were chucking balls at us and he was there heading and kicking them away.

He’s such a lively character and he’s got the experience that I think we have needed. He did not play enough in his own mind because of the form of the front two.

But he worked his socks off every day in training and he was so supportive of the front two.

He also has the ability to play out wide as well, so he was fantastic for us even though he didn’t feature as much as he would have liked.”

So Bowyer has cited several lame reasons to tie up a decent wage for the season. From memory he headed one ball away against Reading when it was all hands to the pump. He is an attacking player who didn't score. I saw very little evidence of him being 'fantastic' for us. In my opinion it is more wasted money on a very average player.

Why when we have all summer to find a proper player?

Depends what it looks like on the ground. If the mentioned three leave on perm or loan we need at least 2 strikers. If he knows more than us and Rhodes is on his way we potentially need three.

Now if he sees him as good squad member and the wages work then it makes sense to me. It could be potentially difficult to find players with money low. Especially the type of young striker who could better Rudy or Jordan!

So Bowyer has cited several lame reasons to tie up a decent wage for the season. From memory he headed one ball away against Reading when it was all hands to the pump. He is an attacking player who didn't score. I saw very little evidence of him being 'fantastic' for us. In my opinion it is more wasted money on a very average player.

I hope Varney realises that he is about as welcome here as a fart in a space suit. The manager is in grave danger of creating another Keith Andrews. Don't do it please.

Depends what it looks like on the ground. If the mentioned three leave on perm or loan we need at least 2 strikers. If he knows more than us and Rhodes is on his way we potentially need three.

Now if he sees him as good squad member and the wages work then it makes sense to me. It could be potentially difficult to find players with money low. Especially the type of young striker who could better Rudy or Jordan!

Varney certainly isn't capable of replacing either of those.

• Moderation Lead

If Varney does prove us all wrong and turn out to be a good signing, then great. Though he didn't show anything last season to suggest this would be the case!!

If Varney does prove us all wrong and turn out to be a good signing, then great. Though he didn't show anything last season to suggest this would be the case!!

I'm not comparing the two but I do recall people questioning the full signing of Gestede after his short stint on loan. It's not fair to totally write off a player after seeing so little. It was the same for me with Feeney.

Maybe I'm less critical but I've seen a few flashes that suggest he could be a decent squad player.

Smacks of double standards from GB ...... Holds Best out to dry for something similar To Varney has done at Leeds...

Beat fell out with his club manager ...

Varney fell out with his club manager ....

One is deemed a trouble maker whilst Rewarding the other with a mega bucks deal...

Thought he said he wanted a certain type of character in his squad.... Make your mind up...

I have heard of overlooking a players faults because he is worth it because the guy is talented but Not because he is bang Average ....

Hope the Directors take Note.....

Archived