BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfers - In & Out

got to say, I didn't see a single thing from him that warranted signing him permanently, Ok he me be popular on the training fields but that's not enough, we should be looking for better players first(or persuading judge to stick around) and only signing varney as a last resort at the close of the transfer window.

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not comparing the two but I do recall people questioning the full signing of Gestede after his short stint on loan. It's not fair to totally write off a player after seeing so little. It was the same for me with Feeney.

Maybe I'm less critical but I've seen a few flashes that suggest he could be a decent squad player.

When all is weighed up it's a poor signing end of ! He's likely to be on 10k plus per week and there is better out there for that money. Personally I'd like to see a younger player with potential taking up that squad place. Rudy was different being young, 6'3'' and athletic he was always going to be a handful and worth a punt for someone. He came on loan showed some promise and was signed. Varney is the opposite and despite pointing to experience he has largely proved himself not very good anywhere he's been and at 31 that won't change. If we re-signed John Stead for peanuts we could say he'd be a good squad player, you can say that about any average player at this level. Pull your head out the clouds for a nano second pal, this isn't being critical for the sake of it. The facts and stats are obvious and a lot of the angst is the surprise that it goes against 'what wer trying to do here' ....

Comparing Varney to when we signed Gestede is totally wrong, the first thing i'm sure many of us do when a new player is on

the horizon, is look at the fans boards to see what they think of them, Cardiff fans thought quite highly of Rudy and wished

him well, he'd had some very decent performances for them the previous season, mainly from the bench it has to be said, but

Cardiff were promoted as champions.

Contrast that with Leeds and Sheff Weds fans thoughts on Varney.

I hope we're not back to 'brown envelopes' and dodgy agents, because this transfer makes no sense to me whatsoever !

Comparing Varney to when we signed Gestede is totally wrong, the first thing i'm sure many of us do when a new player is on

the horizon, is look at the fans boards to see what they think of them, Cardiff fans thought quite highly of Gestede and wished

him well, he'd had some very decent performances for them the previous season, mainly from the bench it has to be said, but

I hope we're not back to 'brown envelopes' and dodgy agents, because this transfer makes no sense to me whatsoever !

Agreed WYR.

I've a mate who's a season ticket holder at Elland Road and couldn't believe we were taking Varney on loan never mind a permanent deal. From his opinion and from what I've seen, it's a waste of a wage.

A mistifying signing.

It reminds me of when we got Niklas Gudmundsson on loan in the 90s, he showed nothing, then we signed him anyway.

No point bulking up the squad with mediocrity, it's just a waste of a wage.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-utd/i-m-relieved-to-be-out-of-leeds-varney-1-6633579

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-utd/i-m-relieved-to-be-out-of-leeds-varney-1-6633579

Look at the comments from Leeds fans. Honest to god, if they can see it and we can see it then how come Gaz can't?

Someone said "people questioned Gestede signing" but lets not forget... He's 6/7 years younger. Varney can't progress anymore, he hit his peak and he was still sh*t.

Absolute garbage signing.

How would Robert Koren sound? Another Hull old boy!

Beat me. Sounds good to this league. There is actually several free agents who will struggle to get another deal from PL but would be good for a club like us. There is a real worry we might miss good targets as there is so much deadwood to get rid of first.

I really feel for the Venkys here...they get pounded by every side...

GB is just adding to the deadwood and the pile is just getting higher and higher......

We really need some system or a person who should be directing all this and Vetoing certain deals....

The Marrow & Judge deals are very strange in that GB knew exactly what types of players they were as he had them at youth/reserves level but still wentv ahead .. He Paid out good signing on fees plus wages but 2-3,months later both are shipped out on loan to 3 level teams!!!

Bet Rovers are paying 90 percent of the wages whilst they are on Loan....,,

Who is going to hold him responsable for adding this to the wage bill?

Marrow Judge Taylor Dabo Eastwood Kane Morris and now Hes adding Varney to the heap....

Really feel for the Venkys as the Directers are not doing there jobs in having a system to stop this....

I really feel for the Venkys here...they get pounded by every side...

Really feel for the Venkys as the Directers are not doing there jobs in having a system to stop this....

Very brave choice of words. Isn't it their fault for not running the club properly and employing the right people to do such jobs? Arrogance and neglect is why we're in this situation... No sympathy from me.

Varney is another like 'Lowey' who has carved a career for himself through sheer hard work and dedication. He doesn't have a stand out attribute other than workrate. We've got a bloated squad as it is; I'd much prefer we shift some deadwood (or at least try). We need quality, not quantity.

Is that John Lowey cos he was a donkey !

Not a fan of Varney tbh. but he will be our 3/4th striker.

Would rather sign winger and use King up front.

We need to sign First choice right back and a centre back to challenge Hanley and Kilgallon for the first team should be the players we are making a priority tho.

Why is everybody getting worked up over Bowyer's 3rd/4th choice striker...?

Because he's not good enough to be 3rd or 4th and its further pressure on the already massive wage bill

• Backroom

Another I'd have a look at (if we've a chance ofc) is Jack Collison at WestHam. Mate's just told me he's being released too. Was gunna suggest Heitinga from Fulham too, but dunno if he'd be another 'payday' type.

Speculating a little and with no knowledge of the inner workings of the club - or Bowyer's own mind, for that matter - but the guy seems incapable of being a 'boss.' If he likes someone or they work hard, then he can't seem to say, "no." Williamson, Lowe, Marrow, Judge and now Varney.

Just a thought. I can't really buy into the fact thy virtually every person who's seen Varney play is a better judge of footballer than Gary Bowyer.

I hope Varney realises that he is about as welcome here as a fart in a space suit. The manager is in grave danger of creating another Keith Andrews. Don't do it please.

Perhaps, having been at the club for 10+ years, the manager is well aware that a section of the Ewood crowd need a hate figure, and in order to protect the younger players, he's signed one for free.

Let's face facts Al. You've got Varney to berate for the whole of next season. If you didn't have, you'd be the first in the queue to find another target.

Agree Varney looks like a poor buy who I would not go for but he is in now. Will give him till october. Others have worked out after poor initial showing. Kuqi memorably, who he shares some attributes with. Bowyer had delivered enough good uns for me to see how it works out.

the horizon, is look at the fans boards to see what they think of them, Cardiff fans thought quite highly of Rudy and wished

I doubt there's anything untoward in the signing. Its just that the manager sees something in Varney we clearly don't. I'd love to be eating our words by Christmas but I personally don't think he'll get enough game time to prove anything unless we get hit by any serious injuries to our front men.

Time will tell I guess but if the ethos is to recruit hard working over talented then he certainly fits the bill.

Archived