BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

1 hour ago, Wheelton Blue said:

I thought Batty looked iffy at Accrington, probably down to nerves though I guess. 

Me too. From what I’d heard I was expecting a lot more. As you say, could be nerves,  but he needs to conquer them if he’s ever going to make it. On the transfer site the speculation is that he’ll do as back up for Pickering. From the hour I saw at Accy he didn’t look ready to me.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Me too. From what I’d heard I was expecting a lot more. As you say, could be nerves,  but he needs to conquer them if he’s ever going to make it. On the transfer site the speculation is that he’ll do as back up for Pickering. From the hour I saw at Accy he didn’t look ready to me.

I don't think anyone has said that Batty is ready for the first team now, just that eventually he will be, but in the mean time, he could cover at  left-back. So that reduces the need to bring in a left-back cover, when we have a more urgent need of a striker.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Wheelton Blue said:

I thought Batty looked iffy at Accrington, probably down to nerves though I guess. 

He did look well off it but in fairness pretty much everyone was shite and simply blowing out the cobwebs. Also didn't help that they had a couple of insane trialists putting in some very robust attempted "tackles"

1 hour ago, Displaced Rover said:

He did look well off it but in fairness pretty much everyone was shite and simply blowing out the cobwebs. Also didn't help that they had a couple of insane trialists putting in some very robust attempted "tackles"

It wasn't even just the trialists. That Tommy Leigh looked like a complete weapon.

Of the three youngsters that I rate ( Phillips, Adam Wharton, Jake Batty ), Phillips has the most potential, but the other two have more chance of making an impact on the first team now. We need the impact now, the only way Phillips will do that is by him leaving and us getting the cash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rigger said:

Of the three youngsters that I rate ( Phillips, Adam Wharton, Jake Batty ), Phillips has the most potential, but the other two have more chance of making an impact on the first team now. We need the impact now, the only way Phillips will do that is by him leaving and us getting the cash.

You only rate 3 of our Academy graduates? They seem to think Leonard, Edmondson, O'Grady-Macken and Fyles have something about them (and potentially Gilsenan).

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

You only rate 3 of our Academy graduates? They seem to think Leonard, Edmondson, O'Grady-Macken and Fyles have something about them (and potentially Gilsenan).

I am giving an opinion on what I have seen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rigger said:

I think Wharton has more potential 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Where's Ethan Walker in the pecking order? He wasn't sent to Austria, but he's stood out when I've briefly watched the U21s.

I have only seen Walker in one game, so I cannot give a valid judgement, but in the game I did see he was very impressive up front. He harried defenders and made good runs. I would say still behind Vale and Leonard, but could well overtake them. 

2 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Where's Ethan Walker in the pecking order? He wasn't sent to Austria, but he's stood out when I've briefly watched the U21s.

He's 21 later this week so really needs to be pushing for first team action fairly soon ; perhaps a loan out to Division 2 or National League would be a good move.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philipl said:

From video footage, he looks a big lad with an impressive turn of pace.

I might be wrong but I have a recollection of him having injury troubles.

He’s not that tall, but he’s thick set. Seen him when he’s played for the u21’s and he’s very strong. He really needs regular game time, perhaps a loan until January and then review his progress.

• Like 2