BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jason Lowe set to return

Ludicrous to suggest that he needs to be like Frank Lampard. There are League One midfielders who are better than him.

His main attribute is being able to cover a lot of ground. He's clearly an athlete. But he needs to bring a lot more into his game. He should give Robbie Savage a call for some advice. If you can't tackle or pass then at least make a nuisance of yourself.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interestingly before he got injured many people thought he was better at full back, up to now on this thread everyone has referred to him as a midfielder. As far as I am concerned he has never been solid at FB and his only position is defensive midfield where he frequently drops to be a fifth defender when necessary. Why then anybody expects him to be the new frank lampard and weigh in with a shed load of goals every season or spray the ball around like a championship david silva I've really no idea.

No-one expects Silva or Lampard but I'd settle for a decent sense of positioning, closing down once in a while and trying to move the ball forwards personally.

Do we need reminding of the Swansea goal where he doesn't close the player down. Not an isolated incident but sums it up. No good running around a lot if you don't do the basics as a defensive midfielder.

Thanks for posting that, Hasta. For the life of me I couldn't remember what game it was.

Like I said, good percentages player but never dominates a game like a true midfield general should.

No-one expects Silva or Lampard but I'd settle for a decent sense of positioning, closing down once in a while and trying to move the ball forwards personally.

Do we need reminding of the Swansea goal where he doesn't close the player down. Not an isolated incident but sums it up. No good running around a lot if you don't do the basics as a defensive midfielder.

Agreed. What can't speak can't lie. However one swallow doesn't make a summer. There are currently lots of clips of Tugay's goals featuring on here yet at one time he was being castigated for continually passing to his invisible friend wasn't he?

'You learn by your mistakes' One would hope that Lowe's learnt something from that event although tbh who expected that fantastic strike from Siggurdsson?

Nothing against the lad himself and if as is likely he starts then if he plays well he should stay in the team, fair enough. The thing that bothers me with the likes of him is the coaches accommodation tendencies. We've unargueabley seen it happen numerous times before and also it seems Bowyer wants to build a team around Lowe and he's first on the team sheet good or bad.

I'm sure it's stopped him signing players in the past to keep some berth available for Lowe until it was obvious he was out for the season. I'd feel much better if we could see a midfield like the Evans, Tunni, Lowe one as that had bags of energy and effort if nothing else. Said it before but I'd much rather see Lowe as a closing down midfielder on the front foot further up the pitch as I think that would suit him better and he could turn into a dangerous player for us but deep defensive mid he just does not do it for me I'm afraid and for ffs keep a right back AT right back.

Nothing against the lad himself and if as is likely he starts then if he plays well he should stay in the team, fair enough. The thing that bothers me with the likes of him is the coaches accommodation tendencies. We've unargueabley seen it happen numerous times before and also it seems Bowyer wants to build a team around Lowe and he's first on the team sheet good or bad.

I'm sure it's stopped him signing players in the past to keep some berth available for Lowe until it was obvious he was out for the season. I'd feel much better if we could see a midfield like the Evans, Tunni, Lowe one as that had bags of energy and effort if nothing else. Said it before but I'd much rather see Lowe as a closing down midfielder on the front foot further up the pitch as I think that would suit him better and he could turn into a dangerous player for us but deep defensive mid he just does not do it for me I'm afraid and for ffs keep a right back AT right back.

tbh I don't see enough vision and creativity in him for that role. it's deep defensive, emergency right fullback or nowhere for me I'm afraid

• Moderation Lead

There's nothing wrong with having Lowe as the 'water carrier' alongside two better midfielders in a 4-5-1, but when we go 4-4-2 his limitations are exposed.

He simply cannot operate in that formation, though he's far from on his own in football in that regard.

'You learn by your mistakes' One would hope that Lowe's learnt something from that event although tbh who expected that fantastic strike from Siggurdsson?

The trouble is we have a very limited player doing exactly what the manager is telling him too. If mistakes need to be learned from they need to be by Bowyer as much as Lowe.

Every time Lowe has a spell out, and the team start to perform, go on a run even, something that we could build on, Lowe is brought straight back in and we go back to square one.

The trouble is we have a very limited player doing exactly what the manager is telling him too. If mistakes need to be learned from they need to be by Bowyer as much as Lowe.

Every time Lowe has a spell out, and the team start to perform, go on a run even, something that we could build on, Lowe is brought straight back in and we go back to square one.

Thats odd...... lots on here think that applies to Grant Hanley. :rolleyes:

• Backroom

Thats odd...... lots on here think that applies to Grant Hanley. :rolleyes:

I actually wonder if a lot of Lowe's 'tracking back' (much like Duffy and Danny before him struggling) are through Hanley making messes and leaving his position.

Perhaps Lowe would make more runs forward with a solid and sound defence?

Pure speculation, but it's a thought. We have hardly seen Lowe in midfield without Hanley at cb. Could be the other way round and Lowe causes Hanley's poor form.

Or I may be attributing causation to a mere correlation.

I think GB'S comments in the LT article are insulting the intelligence of the fans. Having a sense of danger and acting on it are precisely two of the attributes Lower does NOT possess if his reluctance to close the opposition down is anything to go by.

Also if we just wanted "energy" we could just get who is the equivalent of Sebastian Coe or Steve Ovett these days.

I'd rather have a player who understands the defensive side of the game rather than someone who thinks his sole objectives are to run about a lot and get goal side of the ball while play goes on around him.

Edit: There is also an old adage that the League table never lies. If that's true then we haven't missed Lowe that much as our points total was only two shy of the season before. And I think most people would agree this season's midfield was woefully inadequate.

The table indeed doesn't lie and whilst we've missed Lowe in terms of another body does anyone seriously think having him available would have made much if any difference points wise. Just like Hanley these players Bowyer puts so much stock in are so easily replaced.

I'd suggest that with Gaz's accommodation selections Lowe would have spent most of the season at right back and that would obviously have impacted on Henley. Although it should have kept Marshall in his more natural positions which may have helped. Lowe v Sterling , yeah right .....!

Personally, I think Lowe offers more than Williamson and Evans. However, as someone already stated, he must be played as a defensive midfielder doing the dirty work with someone next to him doing the creating. Put him in with Williamson or Evans and Lowe has to go beyond his capabilities and try and create and get forward, something which isn't in his game. If our central midfield consists of two of those three, or the three of them in a 5-man midfield, then I feel we will struggle. Whether Cairney and Lowe could work in CM is up for debate, but I'd sooner see that than have Evans and/or Williamson starting. Really, a more dynamic CM must be near the top of our wishlist this summer.

If Lowe is the answer, what is the question?

"We are far too weak in the tackle and unable to effectively break up play in the centre of midfield due to lack of pace and physicality. Which of our poor central midfield options is best to address this problem?"

"We are far too weak in the tackle and unable to effectively break up play in the centre of midfield due to lack of pace and physicality. Which of our poor central midfield options is best to address this problem?"

He doesn't tackle, doesn't break up play (except for us) and does not have pace, nor physicality. Although I don't agree that he is, if he is still deemed the best option at the start of next season then Bowyer needs sacking on the spot.

He doesn't tackle, doesn't break up play (except for us) and does not have pace, nor physicality. Although I don't agree that he is, if he is still deemed the best option at the start of next season then Bowyer needs sacking on the spot.

Ignoring your blind hatred for 1. A decent player and 2. A decent manager; if you think it's possible to sign another Tugay for £0 on less than £520k a season, then I'd consider a reality check.

Saying Jason Lowe has no pace or physique is barmy Stuart. He's been injured for a year, but surely your memory isn't that bad. If it is, I'd suggest more early nights. Jason may be a rabbit in the headlights facing goal but the otherside of his game is what makes him a professional footballer.

The league position and goals conceded column supports how much we've missed a settled midfield this season.

Also, it's black and white (to me at least) that it's an attacking midfielder that we lack because Cairney can't play centrally in a two due to his lack of presence and physicality, not mentioning his inability to put a consistent shift in.

Something Jason never does is put 50% in. I personally can't wait to have him back.

Ignoring your blind hatred for 1. A decent player and 2. A decent manager; if you think it's possible to sign another Tugay for £0 on less than £520k a season, then I'd consider a reality check.

Stupid, non-argument. Typical though of those struggling to defend both. Compare them to Lampard, Tugay or Mourinho. FFS.

Saying Jason Lowe has no pace or physique is barmy Stuart. He's been injured for a year, but surely your memory isn't that bad. If it is, I'd suggest more early nights. Jason may be a rabbit in the headlights facing goal but the otherside of his game is what makes him a professional footballer.

You think Lowe has pace? Or physical presence? No wonder we rarely agree.

The league position and goals conceded column supports how much we've missed a settled midfield this season.

Go and have a look at our record with and without Lowe. A settled midfield, yes we do miss, Lowe we do not. Squad player at best. But you know this.

Also, it's black and white (to me at least) that it's an attacking midfielder that we lack because Cairney can't play centrally in a two due to his lack of presence and physicality, not mentioning his inability to put a consistent shift in. Something Jason never does is put 50% in.

He runs around a lot. Get over it. Ask yourself this. Why does Bowyer insist on playing at one other defensive midfielder alongside him? It's because he isn't good enough.

I personally can't wait to have him back.

:lol: So you advocate boring, negative, losing football. Brilliant.

• Backroom

For me Williamson is a better footballer, Lowe is a better athlete, I don't think he's fast but is probably the only one of the sitting midfielders with the legs to make a break into the box - then do naff all with it.

He's not the worst option to have in a 5 man midfield but really we don't have a single central midfielder you would say is deserving of a real claim to a starting spot over the last couple of years.

That settled midfield needs building on a settled solid defence first and foremost. Also if Williamson was ten years younger I think some would agree he'd be the better midfielder than Lowe without a doubt. Sadly Willo wades through treacle these days and Jason has the legs and that's where we are at . Just pray they don't end up together again. As with many other areas on the pitch coach can't seem the fathom or sign players to complement each other.

Archived