BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 2

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be disappointed if we sold Cairney. Though he didn't play as well last season - on his day he gets the ball on the deck and makes us play - we don't have another midfield player like that. Also £3.5m when we can't spend to replace doesn't seem a good deal, would have to be far more for me.

I'd be disappointed if Cairney goes. Apart from Marshall he is our only creative player, and he is the only one who can put his foot on the ball and pass it.

I'd sell any of the other midfielders before him or Marshall. Particularly Evans.

Also as others say if we are not allowed to buy a replacement why sell?? We will be significantly weaker.

From Kamy on twitter

Local journo who covers Fulham believes that Tom Cairney to Fulham for circa £3.5 million is very much on.No comment from his reps.

IMO, Cairney's form was poor for most of the season but I think his best performances were in the FA cup. But not push on from his 1st season with us.

If I was the manager I would make him my playmaker of the season.

I also wonder if This is why Rovers are/were after Stephen Quinn from Hull. Think Quinn is on his way to Reading. According to media reports

• Moderation Lead

It would be very disappointing if we lost Cairney, certainly to a team that finished way below us last season!! Especially as he's the only player in the middle of the park that can put his foot on the ball and play on his day. When played in his correct position and in the correct system he has done well.

Pretty much agree with Chaddy's summary^^ on Cairney's form. It doesn't make sense to sell him really, even if it is for a big profit, as we can't use any of that money to replace him.....

Talked to a journo this morning who covers Fulham and he says that the Tom Cairney interest is serious, although he doesn't believe that the deal is complete yet, he said fee was in the region of £3.5 million.

I will be disappointed if Cairney leaves, he is our technically most accomplished player. Last season he wasn't at his best but then being shunted around the midfield did not help. With the likelihood of at least one of Rudy or Rhodes going, I was hoping that we would go to one up front and give Cairney a free role so that we can exploit his technical skills without over burdening him with defensive responsibilities. Also selling your better players to championship clubs is not the actions of a club wanting to push for a top 6 finish.

It would be very disappointing if we lost Cairney, certainly to a team that finished way below us last season!! Especially as he's the only player in the middle of the park that can put his foot on the ball and play on his day. When played in his correct position and in the correct system he has done well.

Pretty much agree with Chaddy's summary^^ on Cairney's form. It doesn't make sense to sell him really, even if it is for a big profit, as we can't use any of that money to replace him.....

My thoughts as well. We don't want to be selling Cairney.

Cairney is a decent player but not suited to the championship, his best games were in the fa cup against the prem teams where there is more space in the middle. I'd sell him, Tunni was much better in that position for us last season.

I honestly don't think that Cairney has the abilities required to play 'in the hole'. He doesn't take people on, doesn't play with his head up enough and lacks any kind of pace.

I wouldn't sell him though. Who on earth could we bring in on a free that would be an upgrade?

I agree, to play in the position that is 'apparently' his best position you have to get hold of games by the scruff of the neck and control the game, Cairney hasn't done that in any Rovers games he's played in.

Tunnicliffe is very unpopular at Fulham and you would be more than welcome to him. He had a shocking attitude at last season's pre-season under Magath and the club were furious with his Patrick Bamford tweet.

Was absolutely useless for us when we recalled him.

Tunnicliffe is very unpopular at Fulham and you would be more than welcome to him. He had a shocking attitude at last season's pre-season under Magath and the club were furious with his Patrick Bamford tweet.

When Tunnicliffe was here he was good and performed here.

Maybe he enjoys Playing for Bowyer and not for Symons?

Doesn't really fit in with bowyer's 'right sort of character' mantra..

• Moderation Lead

Was Tunnicliffe really that good or did he just stand out because he didn't need a compass to find the oppositions half?

Certainly think you've got a point there. I can't remember the last time I saw a driving run forward from a Rovers CM......

Prominent member of Fulham Supporters Trust says Tom Cairney deal to FUlham is done. Is he any good ?

He has flair so he doesn't fit in with the Rovers manager and some of their fans.

Archived