BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 2

Certainly think you've got a point there. I can't remember the last time I saw a driving run forward from a Rovers CM......

J. Jones did it - but after that - nope (edit: Dunn wherever he played would always try to).

Currently we have a bunch of sideways/backwards cowards under orders.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sensible is one word for it Gordon.

When Coyle took them up the first thing the directors did was trouser their share of the cash, investment was minimal and it resulted in Coyle leaving.

This time they spent nothing, had no chance of staying up and will probably lose Dyche if a deal comes along that suits him. They went down before a ball was kicked.

No point allowing facts to get in the way of a good story however:

1: Flood - He leant money via his business that was repayable only upon promotion to the PL. I think it was about 3.8 million. By the time we were promoted his business was in the hands of the administrators and as you can imagine the creditors were insistent upon the repayment - no greed and no benefit ti Flood at all

2: Other directors, including Kilby, only took back loans they had made to the club. Some did defer the repayments, some didn't.

3: Coyle - he left because despite his prior pontificating to all and sundry he had no morals and went to the first big cheque that was offered. As for no investment, well it is all relative however we did sign a number of players in the promotion season and the season we went up - and crucially money was available in January which Coyles successor largely wasted. He left as they all do for greed.

You don't necessarily need a playmaker if you play with 2 wingers. Who was the playmaker for us under dalglish with Sherwood and batty(both more battlers than creator's) in the middle? Our creativity came from wide Inc le saux and Berg bombing on..

I partly agree - though think Sherwood was more creative than you are giving him credit. The big difference was that both players were comfortable on the ball - and could pass with a degree of accuracy to the wingers - not so confident our current midfield players could do that.

I partly agree - though think Sherwood was more creative than you are giving him credit. The big difference was that both players were comfortable on the ball - and could pass with a degree of accuracy to the wingers - not so confident our current midfield players could do that.

Man utd as well back then with ince and Keane in the middle. Again, no playmaker, but kanchelskis and Sharpe/giggs wide as creator's..

We get hung up on having a playmaker too much due to having tugay for so long, but it really isn't a necessity.

Man utd as well back then with ince and Keane in the middle. Again, no playmaker, but kanchelskis and Sharpe/giggs wide as creator's..

We get hung up on having a playmaker too much due to having tugay for so long, but it really isn't a necessity.

Typical of the Rovers fans who hate flair players. It's the players with flair that make football enjoyable. Douglas, Finney, Matthews etc.

I was on about doing some smart trading before and this is an example. If we were to lose just one player, free up a bit of cash and a squad place then this is the type of thing I'm on about IF the fee is 3.5 mill. Any less and it's probably not worth it but Cairney is another one that has potential but isn't filling it and of course probably doesn't get used correctly which doesn't help. His body language and effort were often very poor last season imo. Given Bowyers been ok with a few hundred grand to spend here and there would Cairney really be that difficult to replace ??

Of course if it marks the start of an exodus then that's different but if there's one I would sacrifice and try and do some sensible trading I think it would be him at that kind of brass.

Tunnicliffe is very unpopular at Fulham and you would be more than welcome to him. He had a shocking attitude at last season's pre-season under Magath and the club were furious with his Patrick Bamford tweet.

Was absolutely useless for us when we recalled him.

Interesting, I would be happy with £3.5mil plus Tunnicliffe. Didn't play all that much here, but when he did he performed well. Think it was well stated that he wanted a move back to the North.

I was on about doing some smart trading before and this is an example. If we were to lose just one player, free up a bit of cash and a squad place then this is the type of thing I'm on about IF the fee is 3.5 mill. Any less and it's probably not worth it but Cairney is another one that has potential but isn't filling it and of course probably doesn't get used correctly which doesn't help. His body language and effort were often very poor last season imo. Given Bowyers been ok with a few hundred grand to spend here and there would Cairney really be that difficult to replace ??

Of course if it marks the start of an exodus then that's different but if there's one I would sacrifice and try and do some sensible trading I think it would be him at that kind of brass.

But Tomphil, he wouldn't have a few hundred grand to replace him with. He'd have nada - free transfers only.

Typical of the Rovers fans who hate flair players. It's the players with flair that make football enjoyable. Douglas, Finney, Matthews etc.

The Cairney opinions are nothing to do with fans not wanting 'flare players' - what's the point in having a 'flare player' if they are invisible in most games, therefore not really being a 'flare player'. There are a few flare players at pleasington on a Sunday afternoon but doesn't mean I would want to see them pulling on a Rovers shirt every Saturday.

Formica and Rochina were flare players, but they were invisible most games, you want players who are going to be involved in games. Now if you were talking about a flare player such as say Pritchard at Bournemouth last season, I would agree with you, because he is involved in games and makes things happen, but players like Cairney perform every 10 games or so.

But Tomphil, he wouldn't have a few hundred grand to replace him with. He'd have nada - free transfers only.

I'm not clear on the rules under this embargo although FFP allows you spend what you gain or at least a percentage ? Either way our embargo isn't a blanket one so even a free transfer or a loan from a Prem bench with the right research could bring in someone that can contribute more surely.

Cairney could probably be used better and of course I'd upgrade the manger before I'd sell anyone as it seems so many half decent potentially better players are floundering at Ewood now going off last season. Sadly that won't happen so the only way to strengthen or freshen up that squad without flogging the crown jewells is trading, tough decisions of course.

I'm not clear on the rules under this embargo although FFP allows you spend what you gain or at least a percentage ? Either way our embargo isn't a blanket one so even a free transfer or a loan from a Prem bench with the right research could bring in someone that can contribute more surely.

Cairney could probably be used better and of course I'd upgrade the manger before I'd sell anyone as it seems so many half decent potentially better players are floundering at Ewood now going off last season. Sadly that won't happen so the only way to strengthen or freshen up that squad without flogging the crown jewells is trading, tough decisions of course.

We can't pay a fee for anyone. The percentage is about the wages and then its either a percentage or £10k per week, whichever is lower.

Cairney for £3.5M, surely there is a decinal place error there. He's 1 of those players who is good in theory but in practise is way below the mark. Personally I love flair players but Cairney gets involved so little in most games I wouldn't rate him as a falir player at all, or a "flare" player even (is that someone from the 70s?) He probably has the ability to be decent but struggles to have any inpact on games.

All of which provided flair from wing positions, not central..

You obviously never saw Douglas or Finney to make an incorrect remark like that. You need to check your facts.

If selling Cairney for £3.5m means we can keep the wolf from the door in a Gestede/Rhodes sense then its good business.

No chance. One whiff of a serious bid and Gestede's rattle will be thrown and then it will be a case of negotiating the best price.

The Cairney opinions are nothing to do with fans not wanting 'flare players' - what's the point in having a 'flare player' if they are invisible in most games, therefore not really being a 'flare player'. There are a few flare players at pleasington on a Sunday afternoon but doesn't mean I would want to see them pulling on a Rovers shirt every Saturday.

Formica and Rochina were flare players, but they were invisible most games, you want players who are going to be involved in games. Now if you were talking about a flare player such as say Pritchard at Bournemouth last season, I would agree with you, because he is involved in games and makes things happen, but players like Cairney perform every 10 games or so.

It's "flair". Unless you think they set the match alight and then you would be correct. :) I feel sad that you will never enjoy your football like I do because you do not appreciate the finer points of the game.

Same reason tunnicliffe can't be a makeweight in any deal for cairney..

Surely it is not beyond the wit of man to make Tunnicliffe a free transfer if we sold them Cairney. (Not that I want to.)

• Backroom

Cairney is talented but he's one of those that you have to build the team around to get the most of his abilities and he isn't good enough to warrant that.

Wasted out wide and too weak in the middle.

£3.5m is a good price for us for him but the issue is we can't bring more bodies in of any real ability.

If it comes down to Cairney or Paul Taylor then give me Cairney anyday

Archived