BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 2

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matt Derbyshire wants to come back to the Rovers but Bowyer doesn't seem to want to take him on though.

Wonder who's controlling Gary.

A player from Rotherham? Raise the bar Jal, this is an insult to all Rovers fans (i think i've quoted you right)

Gary is controlled by the Mothership.

Talked to a journo this morning who covers Fulham and he says that the Tom Cairney interest is serious, although he doesn't believe that the deal is complete yet, he said fee was in the region of £3.5 million.

I will be disappointed if Cairney leaves, he is our technically most accomplished player. Last season he wasn't at his best but then being shunted around the midfield did not help. With the likelihood of at least one of Rudy or Rhodes going, I was hoping that we would go to one up front and give Cairney a free role so that we can exploit his technical skills without over burdening him with defensive responsibilities. Also selling your better players to championship clubs is not the actions of a club wanting to push for a top 6 finish.

Kamy do you think we want a top six finish or are we gradually being dumbed down ? For a possible Venky's exit ?

Matt Derbyshire wants to come back to the Rovers but Bowyer doesn't seem to want to take him on though.

Wonder who's controlling Gary.

How can Derbyshire come back to Rovers when he still has 1 year left at Rotherham. And we can't paid transfer fees for players. So we cant sign him. SIMPLE AS.

Jal, how many do you have to be TOLD PLENTY OF TIMES that Bowyer is in charge of transfers. Glen and Kamy has told you this before

No surprise here with Cairney.

IMV, this is all about V's realising assets in order to reduce the money they have to pump into Rovers to keep it afloat.

Every 'decent' player that leaves the club makes it increasingly likely that Rhodes and Gestede will go. Would you want to stay when the departure of each 'decent' player weakens the side and makes it more and more unlikely that we could even mount a challenge for top 6 ?

I think Cairney will be the first of a number of notable departures. A sad fact of Rovers' desperate financial plight.

Whilst I think Cairney will get better- I still think he is far too light weight and not enough of a grafter to play in a 4 man midfield system.

If we can get 3.5m for cairney, I would say do it. Whilst it probably won't put us put of embargo, that money could be reinvested in 5/6 different players in future, starting with loans now until we are out of embargo.

Similar to the original cairney, Rudy, Steele deals. Thing is, I would be very worried if he was sold before a replacement could be found- we'd need another creative CM (hopefully more robust and combatative) and also a left footed wide player as I still think that his best position for us has been cutting inside from the right- particularly in the first season. We'd also need someone who can take set pieces.

If Rudy and Cairney go for a combined 10m+ profit- that would be a feather in the clubs recent transfer activity and highlight a better direction our finances are heading. As Tommy Johnson said twice- the cards dealt to the current staff charged with those decisions are not great.

As for it being Fulham- it's irrelevant what league/level/country the potential buyers are, only thing relevant is do they have cash. I'm sure they still have 40m+ of parachute payments to go and will be one of the favorites again this season if they spend some of that. In terms of how it looks on our ambition- that's dependent on whether you think Cairney is vital to a promotion push. At this point, I can't say that,

Tunnicliffe in the opposite direction may be shrewd, he got better and better for us before going back. I appreciate he's done a silly banter and got in trouble for it, but as a Middleton lad, it might be better for him to ply his trade closer to his roots!

Couple of million and him would be decent business IMO

How can Derbyshire come back to Rovers when he still has 1 year left at Rotherham. And we can't paid transfer fees for players. So we cant sign him. SIMPLE AS.

Jal, how many do you have to be TOLD PLENTY OF TIMES that Bowyer is in charge of transfers. Glen and Kamy has told you this before

Don't believe everything your told...

...Matty would in the not too distant past would of jumped at the chance to come back

Quite... All brought on by thieves dressed in coaches clothing.

amongst others.. Last season I was pretty upbeat well as upbeat since the takeover as could be before the season started this time around not so . Last season was a waste of a season best chance of promotion wasted that chance may never come again as the club looks like it's being dumbed down.. But hey its FFPs fault..

amongst others.. Last season I was pretty upbeat well as upbeat since the takeover as could be before the season started this time around not so . Last season was a waste of a season best chance of promotion wasted that chance may never come again as the club looks like it's being dumbed down.. But hey its FFPs fault..

Our best chance of getting in the prem was staying there in first place. Second best chance was first season we came down. Since those two years cost us 100m nearly and almost put us into league 1- ill take a slower recovery if it means a more sensible approach.

Whilst there is still lots to fix, transfer business has been certainly something to be more upbeat about in the past 2 years. Hopefully we find more players for cheap or nothing who can offer something and replace others we are forced to sell or let go.

Like Athlete, I felt optimistic(ish) going in to last season. There was a definite buzz around the ground for the Cardiff game and I certainly felt we could push on from our strong finish in 2014, however the obvious limitations of the management were plain to see.

For me, if the choice is between seling the few decent players we have left for a fee that can't be spent or bringing in a new manager who can shake up a coasting set of players, then it is a no brainer.

The likes of Marshall and Cairney can be so much better. When watching Bournemouth, I didn't see techincally superior footballers, but focused, well drilled, fit players. Down at Ewood we see players always on the verge of a 'strain' or other and no sign of improvement. Why? Gary isn't a winner, isn't a leader, but a decent bloke and decent youth coach. It is so blindindly obvious that it is almost funny, almost.

Shouldn't take a genius to work a deal to bring Tunny in for for Cairney without falling foul FFP. Hell Fulham could cancel his contract perhaps for his little bit of naughtiness.

Still, wouldn't doubt the FA would fine tooth comb it cos it's us.

If we weren't under the embargo I would snap off Fulham's hands as Cairney for £3.5m is a very good deal, HOWEVER I'm not sure I believe they'll pay that much anyway (unless they truly see a lot of potential that Bowyer clearly couldn't get out of him last season).

Now as we are still under the embargo I'd be especially hesitant in selling Cairney, simply because that leaves us with Evans, Williamson and Lowe fighting for the CM spots. Do I trust Bowyer to bring in someone better/more creative than Cairney and the rest of them, particularly on a free? Nope.

If Cairney was to leave, I'd be worried that other players may follow suit in jumping the ship. I feel him and Gestede leaving would be a sign of things to come and would be a signal for many players to seek pastures new. The fact that Cairney would rather move to a lowly Fulham side would say a lot about the players' belief in Bowyer, his team and the direction the club is heading. I mean, it's plain as day to us fans that Bowyer is lacking tactically and I have no confidence that he excels in other areas of management, so I have no doubt the players are aware they're working under a bit of a dud. We saw it under Kean where the players looked disinterested and we saw it from some of the current crop last season.

Shouldn't take a genius to work a deal to bring Tunny in for for Cairney without falling foul FFP. Hell Fulham could cancel his contract perhaps for his little bit of naughtiness.

I wouldn't count on the likes of Derek Shaw being able to work a deal like that! Wouldn't be too disappointed if we were able to get 3 million and get Tunnicliffe back. Like others have said though we can't even spend the money :(

Was thinking the other day that Tunnicliffe in exchange for Cairney would be good for us.

Tunnicliffe has the sort of tenacity and drive we need in the centre of midfield. I thought Cairney was great when he first joined but he doesn't quite fit anywhere in a way that improves us.

Was thinking the other day that Tunnicliffe in exchange for Cairney would be good for us.

Tunnicliffe has the sort of tenacity and drive we need in the centre of midfield. I thought Cairney was great when he first joined but he doesn't quite fit anywhere in a way that improves us.

Definitely doesn't fit in on the right wing that's for sure!! Conway and Marshall on the wings will be key for us next season.

I cant believe so many would be content with seeing cairney go(and dont even get me started on the thought of that below average at best, white trash cretin tunncliffe) cairney will get better and better with experience and in the future i can see him dictating games with his passing if hes given a role in the centre. But all this half arsed transfer talk is all irrelevent when we have a mannager that cant even get anywhwre near the best out of the players we have(many of which where his signings)

I cant believe so many would be content with seeing cairney go(and dont even get me started on the thought of that below average at best, white trash cretin tunncliffe) cairney will get better and better with experience and in the future i can see him dictating games with his passing if hes given a role in the centre. But all this half arsed transfer talk is all irrelevent when we have a mannager that cant even get anywhwre near the best out of the players we have(many of which where his signings)

Under different circumstances I do think £3.5mill would be a good deal for Cairney. HOWEVER, right now we can ill-afford to lose one of our brightest talents. I do think that this last season has made a lot of fans forget the form players of the seasons before. Cairney hasn't been at his best this season but prior to that I remember thinking he was brilliant and thought he had bags of potential. Unfortunately, Bowyer's persistence in shunting him around this year and playing inferior players ahead of him in the centre has certainly stifled his development. He has looked less interested this year and I would be too if I was playing under an over-promoted youth coach who wanted to play me out of position to accommodate a poor defensive midfielder and fit in with his ethos of boring, dreadful 'football'.

It's the same with Rhodes, 12 months ago you would have heard nothing but positive things on this board, not saying he didn't/doesn't have areas of his game that are lacking/need improving but if he didn't, he'd be in the Premier League. Now, there are a number of supporters who think he's rubbish. This coincides with the mindless hoofball that highlight his few inefficiencies. The only players that anyone can suggest the manager has brought the best out of are Rudy (whose aerial dominance is suited to our game) and Olsson who was our most consistent player this season. Perhaps Kilgallon by virtue of being 10x better than Hanley. The rest of them, gone backwards.

Yes, Cairney might be weak and yes, Rhodes might be slow and that's why these players aren't playing at a higher level. One thing's for certain, they've got indispensable qualities that make them very important players for us, particularly in our current situation under the embargo. It's just a shame we are stuck with Bowyer and Venky's.

Archived