BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 4

I disagree about the squad being a relegation rabble.

The issue is the current manager does not know how to make the best of the players at his disposal.

We need pace - so he leaves them on the bench.

We need drive - he leaves our best forward thinking midfielder on the bench.

His ideology of play Jason Lowe in that central berth is simply unexplainable. Lowe brings nothing to the team only DANGER to his own defence, YET he plays every game and takes up a vital position alongside another DEFENSIVE midfielder. Rovers can not afford to have such a glaring gap in midfield because teams simply overrun us through the middle.

We have conceded goals through the middle versus Wolves and Cardiff. We have conceded silly avoidable goals versus Brighton and Huddersfield.

Put a well versed manager who has a clue about tactics, how to send a team out to win be it ugly or with nice flowing football, play players in their right positions and you have a winning formula.

Now I am no expert, but this is simple basic footballing stuff. We played it on the local parks at Sunday league level, it works. We played it at school it works. Bowyer doesn't play it and guess what? IT DOESNT BLOODY WORK.

Until that bit is fixed we are heading for another fall and a seriously defining period in the clubs livelihood for which we are unlikely to survive.

You speak my language. I also think that this squad is more than capable at this level, it just needs direction that comes from the correct management. Under this fella it's 11 blokes walking out onto a football pitch to just see what happens in my opinion... Thats how it looks to me. We need someone to come in with a definitive philosophy of how he want's us to play and that only comes from a manager who has the respect of the players which Gaz doesn't have either.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Under Bowyer we've always been reliant on one of our better players pulling off something special to win matches. Whether it was Rhodes, Gestede, Cairney, Marshall, Conway or King, one of our better players was always required to step up and make something happen, because our non-style of play produces nothing useful.

As our talented players leave and are not replaced, results will continue to get worse. It's inevitable. Having the likes of Marshall and Rhodes off-form/injured makes things even more difficult.

Under Bowyer we've always been reliant on one of our better players pulling off something special to win matches. Whether it was Rhodes, Gestede, Cairney, Marshall, Conway or King, one of our better players was always required to step up and make something happen, because our non-style of play produces nothing useful.

As our talented players leave and are not replaced, results will continue to get worse. It's inevitable. Having the likes of Marshall and Rhodes off-form/injured makes things even more difficult.

Pretty good assessment DE :tu:

Somethings got to give eventually, we're not going to see player investment, we're not going to see gems coming from the academy, we are going to see Rhodes and possibly Marshall leave in the next 12 months, so where does that leave us?

There are some managers in this league proving that it is possible to get a team to perform 'better than the sum of its parts'. Eg Ipswich, Bournemouth, Burnley, Brentford

Bowyer is certainly in the category of 'performing worse than the sum of its parts' along with Derby, Boro last season.

I bet that privately most managers in this league would admit that you should be getting to play-offs with Rhodes, Rudy, Marshall, Cairney, King etc in the squad.

• Backroom

Pretty good assessment DE :tu:

Somethings got to give eventually, we're not going to see player investment, we're not going to see gems coming from the academy, we are going to see Rhodes and possibly Marshall leave in the next 12 months, so where does that leave us?

Relegated, unfortunately. We've not got an Allardyce, Pulis or McCarthy at the helm to - as OJ says above - make the team better than the sum of its parts. Bowyer needs special players to win him games, and we're losing those at a rapid rate. We know the owners are as thick as two short planks when it comes to football, and possibly not even interested in Rovers at this point, so sadly I foresee us slowly sliding into oblivion unless Bowyer resigns and Shaw miraculously convinces a manager of some standing to come in and steady the good ship Rovers before it slams into the rocks and sinks.

Relegated, unfortunately. We've not got an Allardyce, Pulis or McCarthy at the helm to - as OJ says above - make the team better than the sum of its parts. Bowyer needs special players to win him games, and we're losing those at a rapid rate. We know the owners are as thick as two short planks when it comes to football, and possibly not even interested in Rovers at this point, so sadly I foresee us slowly sliding into oblivion unless Bowyer resigns and Shaw miraculously convinces a manager of some standing to come in and steady the good ship Rovers before it slams into the rocks and sinks.

Which 'special' players have we lost recently? Rapidly or otherwise?

(I could give you Gestede at a push)

I think I made the point on another thread that members of this side would struggle to get into most sides from the 70's and 80's before Jack came in and that says it all for me.

Good shout Gav. Let's do a like for like comparison on the 87/88 team under Mackay.

Gennoe or Raya

Price or Henley

Spurr or Sulley

Hanley and Duffy or Hendry and Mail

Gayle or Conway

Sellars or Marshall

Reid and Barker or any 2 from Lowe/Evans/Akpan/Guthrie

Garner or Rhodes

Archibald or any of our other strikers

Possibly Conway?

• Backroom

Which 'special' players have we lost recently? Rapidly or otherwise?

(I could give you Gestede at a push)

Why would Gestede be "at a push"? He scored over 20 goals for us last season, remember.

I know Cairney has become Keith Andrews since he was sold, but he was a player who had the ability to score a goal out of nowhere and create too. No doubt that he had a poor season overall last season, but his first season showed what he could do when motivated. King wasn't played regularly by Bowyer but, as seen in the FA Cup, had the ability to change a game when given the opportunity and under the right circumstances.

Rhodes we've recently lost to injury (though for now he's back) and Marshall's been lost half way to Brighton judging by his performances so far (though some of that blame falls on Bowyer for putting him in a different position every match).

The only creative player we currently have in our first eleven is Conway, and his primary ability is putting in crosses rather than through balls - not ideal when your sole striker is Jordan Rhodes.

Why would Gestede be "at a push"? He scored over 20 goals for us last season, remember.

I know Cairney has become Keith Andrews since he was sold, but he was a player who had the ability to score a goal out of nowhere and create too. No doubt that he had a poor season overall last season, but his first season showed what he could do when motivated. King wasn't played regularly by Bowyer but, as seen in the FA Cup, had the ability to change a game when given the opportunity and under the right circumstances.

Rhodes we've recently lost to injury (though for now he's back) and Marshall's been lost half way to Brighton judging by his performances so far (though some of that blame falls on Bowyer for putting him in a different position every match).

The only creative player we currently have in our first eleven is Conway, and his primary ability is putting in crosses rather than through balls - not ideal when your sole striker is Jordan Rhodes.

I suppose it depends on your interpretation of what a 'special' player is. I don't think we've had any for a while. Bellamy, Bentley, RSC and Tugay being the last batch we had. Rhodes has a special nack of being in the right place at the right time to score important goals but he's still with us.

• Backroom

I suppose it depends on your interpretation of what a 'special' player is. I don't think we've had any for a while. Bellamy, Bentley, RSC and Tugay being the last batch we had. Rhodes has a special nack of being in the right place at the right time to score important goals but he's still with us.

In terms of my post, I meant special purely in the sense of being able to do something out of the ordinary - even if it's infrequently. We're running out of players who can do anything other than run about a lot, which is a concern. 11 Jason Lowe's managed by Bowyer will relegate us.

Good shout Gav. Let's do a like for like comparison on the 87/88 team under Mackay.

Gennoe or Raya

Price or Henley

Hanley and Duffy or Hendry and Mail

Gayle or Conway

Sellars or Marshall

Reid and Barker or any 2 from Lowe/Evans/Akpan/Guthrie

Garner or Rhodes

Archibald or any of our other strikers

Possibly Conway?

I'd say non of them!

Rhodes at a push, the rest no chance.

We had one decent flair player from Tugays retirement till now and that was Hoilett. Lots of people who looked promising but never delivered - Rochina, Formica, Villaneva etc etc - but all were ultimately massive flops. Murphy was a massive joke. He had his flaws but Hoilett scored and created a lot. When he went we seriously missed him and never replaced him.

The trouble is Hoilett had his head turned and bit the hand that fed him. Just look at what he HASNT achieved since leaving Rovers !

He is the epitome of greedy player thinking he had already made it and that's very sad considering he hasn't done anything worthwhile at all

The trouble is Hoilett had his head turned and bit the hand that fed him. Just look at what he HASNT achieved since leaving Rovers !

He is the epitome of greedy player thinking he had already made it and that's very sad considering he hasn't done anything worthwhile at all

Bit early to put Gestede in that bracket but he could be another.

Then again I'd much rather warm the bench at Villa than sit mid table in the championship.

Well that's partly QPRs fault as well as his own. With the right manager and structure he could have developed rather than regressed.

QPR have got terrible performances out of so many previously good players that you have to draw the conclusion that the club and manager are/were getting a lot wrong.

I totally agree but I also think this has been the case since Sam left. There is no belief or team ethic and pretty much everyone looks at each other to do something whilst they fear making mistakes (with the exception of Conway who seems to plug away). It is amazing how many goals Rhodes and Gestede managed to scrape between them.

I'd say non of them!

Rhodes at a push, the rest no chance.

I loved Howard Gayle but for the wing Conway is clearly better'

Rhodes is better than Garner too

I was pretty young but I don't remember Chris Sulley being that good...

And if our midfield wasn't so poor I doubt Nicky Reid would be that hard to shift

I loved Howard Gayle but for the wing Conway is clearly better'

Rhodes is better than Garner too

I was pretty young but I don't remember Chris Sulley being that good...

if you don't really remember Sulley then you probably never saw Garner at his peak. Before talking utter nonsense on a forum; forcing your opinion on everyone (when it's worthless by your own admission) , spend a few minutes watching Garner on youtube. Talk to your dad or someone. It was magic when Garner scored! he was a hero for years and years. A 2nd division Dalglish!

He had much more to his game than Rhodes.

Rhodes over Garner Gav, go wash your mouth out!

LDRs post was Rhodes OR Garner.

I'd never drop Garner for Rhodes, I'd play Rhodes with Garner and drop someone else

I'm not having Conway better than Gayle either.

Interesting that article. Sounds like he is putting the pressure in Gaz. Basically says "we got the players you wanted, now win some games...."

Archived