BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 4

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Guthrie and Akpan, whilst not being world beaters are head and shoulders above the rest of our cms based on what I've seen of them thus far.

Both seem to be quite complete mids compared to the rest we have. Both can pass quite well and don't mind getting stuck in. Just hope they form a partnership as there must be reasons Reading released both.

You really can't get a much higher accolade that being described as...

5 foot 10 :huh:

5 foot 10 eh? It sounds too good to be true. I'd be wary and consider other factors before diving in on this one; ability, fitness record, the other 13 non entity midfielders we already have, the fact he has no neck. There's also the 5 club rule in that article.

Then again, 5 foot 10 you say....

5 foot 10 eh? It sounds too good to be true. I'd be wary and consider other factors before diving in on this one; ability, fitness record, the other 13 non entity midfielders we already have, the fact he has no neck. There's also the 5 club rule in that article.

Then again, 5 foot 10 you say....

It's the market we find ourselves in Bob. If the lad had a neck he'd be playing in the top flight. We have to accept we can't afford players with the full compliment of body parts anymore. If we get this lad in and he's the right sort of character then the staff have proved they can nurture these outcasts and get them performing. Two or three years of working under our coaching staff and we might be able to help this lad develop one or even two inches of neck. And, God willing, shift him on for a tidy sum. Honestly I don't understand why people have to be so negative.

Not sure why people are hammering Bowyer for Barrows exit, he's left because Swansea have an injury crisis, that's not Bowyers fault, get a grip.

If that's the case that takes part of the blame off Bowyer. But given we've not played him - despite being pacey and playing well- we've made it an easy decision for Swansea.

I imagine if he was in our team, doing well and developing they'd take a longer term view and leave him with us. The fact we're not playing him even when he does well can't fill them with confidence. I reckon they'd haul him out because of that regardless of how genuine it is that he'd be covering the injury crisis.

It's a very poor do that our academy can't produce players who are as good as the misfits we have been bringing in this summer. The only chance we had of surviving the Venky instigated crisis we are in is if we could bring through 3 or 4 who could play regularly in the 1st team but their doesn't seem to be much there. Can't see much enthusiasm for loaning players to a club like ours either, doubt a relegation scrap is on the career trajectory of many young PL players. Doomed I tell thi.

It's a very poor do that our academy can't produce players who are as good as the misfits we have been bringing in this summer. The only chance we had of surviving the Venky instigated crisis we are in is if we could bring through 3 or 4 who could play regularly in the 1st team but their doesn't seem to be much there. Can't see much enthusiasm for loaning players to a club like ours either, doubt a relegation scrap is on the career trajectory of many young PL players. Doomed I tell thi.

A very good post ...

• Moderation Lead

Thing is, we have got players on the brink of the first team, but they don't get any minutes on the pitch.

Surely players like Tomlinson that have impressed in pre-season should be getting some game time, christ even if it's from the bench!

Our midfield has looked dreadful and one-paced for years, a youth product would have to be completely bobbins to not be equally as bad!

Two or three years of working under our coaching staff and we might be able to help this lad develop one or even two inches of neck. And, God willing, shift him on for a tidy sum. Honestly I don't understand why people have to be so negative.

Pat, do you really think the guy is going to grow a neck at Rovers? No. No chance. Other clubs will have already tried and failed. I know, I know, I'm living in the past, expecting too much - hankering after "the old days" - but I tell you this; a few months with Dalglish and Harford and he'd have a neck alright. No bother. A good thick 'un as well. And he'd then be 6 foot 1. SIX FOOT ruddy ONE! Now that would be worthy of it's own headline.

• Backroom

From what little I've seen of our academy products, I'd love to see them integrated into the team more.

Go 451.

------------Raya

Henley-Hanley-Duffy-Olsson

-----------Lenihan

-------Guthrie-----Akpan

Marshall-----------------Conway

-------------Rhodes

Bring on as subs if/when apt: Nyambe, Mahoney, Tomlinson.

Archived