BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 4

When subs were first introduced it was only 1 and were only allowed to name 1.

First sub to be used was in 1965, but this was only allowed for injury.

First tactical substitution was permitted in 1967.

1988 changed to 2 subs from 5.

2 plus goalkeeper in 1994 and then to 3 in 1995.

My first memories are of 1 substitute, for some reason I always seem to remember Kevin Stonehouse as being our regular sub :huh:

Jimmy Quinn in my day lol .... or Colin Randall

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well said, Phil. And could still be.

I don't think it is as simple as instilling a work ethic in players nowadays. Saxton could do that in his squad more easily than Bowyer not because of the quality of players at his disposal but the kind of people who are now playing football and the sums they earn, even at a lower level.

When I bump into the members of the Rovers squad on a night out down Blackburn, like you might do years ago, I will change my mind.

Gary has his limitations. That's almost beyond argument after having witnessed (not watched) what was served up last season. But the hand he has been dealt, and the way he has acted with a good measure of dignity, in public anyway, he deserves more than pelters.

The shelf-life comments above are right. I reckon Hughesy saw the writing on the wall. Gary is probably reaching a similar point. But, when not if he goes, he will be one of the few I shall applaud for their efforts, if not his achievements.

This site is full of people that are completely out of touch with whats going on, the ones that shout the loudest don't even go FFS!

In a society that demands instant success we have a majority on here that think despite the club having been destroyed from top to bottom over the past 5yrs, a coach thats been appointed beyond his ability deserves hammering at every turn, I think some must support other clubs and are here for amusement only because thats just wrong, shows a lack of intelligence even.

Gary Bowyers trying his best, he's out of his depth but he's trying his best, and you can't ask anymore of anyone than that, and I agree with Mark above, if and when he's let go I'll applaud his efforts because despite what the vociferous few on here think, he's in this to try and get the club promoted, but sadly its beyond his ability.

Every manager has their shelf life and when you're sat bottom of the table, with no sign of improvement, then it's inevitable what happens next.

Well, most of the time anyway.

This is the key point of the last few years for me, Bob.

A lot of trust has been lost between fans and owners because fundamentally they show that they will not act in the best interests of the club.

This is the key point of the last few years for me, Bob.

A lot of trust has been lost between fans and owners because fundamentally they show that they will not act in the best interests of the club.

I've been thinking about this Stuart. And you know what? I think their most truthful soundbite was 'we're confused'. I don't think they know what's good for the club and what's not. They get ridiculed for keeping kean - they sack berg quickly. They get canned for binning berg and Appleton quickly - they stick with bowyer. The fact is they haven't got a clue. And when they look for help they get rogered. I bet they kick themselves that they binned Williams. Or they are still too confused to realise that yet.

• Backroom

I've been thinking about this Stuart. And you know what? I think their most truthful soundbite was 'we're confused'. I don't think they know what's good for the club and what's not. They get ridiculed for keeping kean - they sack berg quickly. They get canned for binning berg and Appleton quickly - they stick with bowyer. The fact is they haven't got a clue. And when they look for help they get rogered. I bet they kick themselves that they binned Williams. Or they are still too confused to realise that yet.

If only they hadn't sacked the men who had been keeping the club running very smoothly for the better part of a decade.

Bowyer is proving to be not manager material, and something seems off at the moment, but to call him a joke and insinuate he isn't a real football man? It's not long ago that we were pretty much all in favour of this guy after the previous disasters. He's at least instilled some sense of stability, even if that means mediocrity, into the team. We forget how bad it was prior to that, and how easily things could have become even worse. To call him a joke seems a bit harsh to me, Mercerman!

I've never been in favour of Bowyer. From day one, doubted his ability to be the savvy, dynamic manager who would get us back to the PL and that was based upon seeing him at work with the Academy and reserves. Last two seasons have seen great opportunities spurned.

Said Saxton was a 'real football man' and if I measure Bowyer against Saxton in every aspect of football management, he fails miserably.

I don't understand the Bowyer 'love-in' from some. IMV, he needs drumming out of the club so that hope, positivity, drive and competence can replace the negativity and sterility that presently prevails. I think our football structure has been dumbed down enormously on Bowyer's watch and he is very much part of the problem rather than the solution.

I've never been in favour of Bowyer. From day one, doubted his ability to be the savvy, dynamic manager who would get us back to the PL and that was based upon seeing him at work with the Academy and reserves. Last two seasons have seen great opportunities spurned.

Said Saxton was a 'real football man' and if I measure Bowyer against Saxton in every aspect of football management, he fails miserably.

I don't understand the Bowyer 'love-in' from some. IMV, he needs drumming out of the club so that hope, positivity, drive and competence can replace the negativity and sterility that presently prevails. I think our football structure has been dumbed down enormously on Bowyer's watch and he is very much part of the problem rather than the solution.

Mercer, its not his fault he's been promoted beyond his ability, you're looking in the wrong direction to lay blame pal.

If you or I got offered the job currently we'd take it, no doubt about that, but we'd be out of our depth, but trying our best like Bowyers doing.

Owners, not manager :tu:

A sideways passing midfielder even back then lol Problems arise when both mids do it constantly as plan a,b,c !!

Randall = crab

Batty = crab

Evans = crab

JLowey = crab in reverse :)

Thats being disrespectful to the nice little crab ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Moderation Lead

Any positivity drummed up by Bowyer's sacking (which I do think needs to happen), would no doubt be replaced by negativity and disappointment at the identity of the new man in the hotseat. (All imo of course.)

Well isn't this interesting ;-)

Any positivity drummed up by Bowyer's sacking (which I do think needs to happen), would no doubt be replaced by negativity and disappointment at the identity of the new man in the hotseat. (All imo of course.)

Well isn't this interesting ;-)

Hahaha well yes, i have one of those as well. I cant say its name, but yes lol

Mercer, its not his fault he's been promoted beyond his ability, you're looking in the wrong direction to lay blame pal.

If you or I got offered the job currently we'd take it, no doubt about that, but we'd be out of our depth, but trying our best like Bowyers doing.

Owners, not manager :tu:

When he blatantly and predictably keeps picking under performers when there are numerous better options. Always employing a system of football designed to go nowhere despite having some success on a few occasions when he's upped the ante. Also quite a few veiled digs at fans I'm not altogether sure he's always doing his best, just doing enough is the order of the day imo.

When he blatantly and predictably keeps picking under performers when there are numerous better options. Always employing a system of football designed to go nowhere despite having some success on a few occasions when he's upped the ante. Also quite a few veiled digs at fans I'm not altogether sure he's always doing his best, just doing enough is the order of the day imo.

I wonder if Bowyer has been told how many points there are for a score draw on the Indian football pools?

Indeed. If Bowyer was truly 'doing his all', he would have the self-awareness to question some of his decisions, such as the unconditional backing of messieurs Lowe, Hanley, and the rest of the Keystone Cops.

Completely agree Amo, but to be fair (can't believe I'm backing up Gaz) Hanley has probably been our best performer so far this season along with Conway. Shedding of around a stone, or more, seems to have done wonders for him.

From the sounds of it he has looked better this season, but as one of the manager's pets and club captain, he'll play irrespective of form.

From the sounds of it he has looked better this season, but as one of the manager's pets and club captain, he'll play irrespective of form.

The one thing Gaz got right was sticking with Duffy and Hanley. I would have played Killer, but they've looked decent and improved with each game proving most of us on here wrong.

Nothing wrong with admitting a mistake.

Sadly every other position, Conway aside, has under performed.

Inexperience tomphil, nothing malicious in my opinion, just inexperience and out of his depth.

I don't blame him for that, the way you get over such weakness is to manage, thats what he's doing, trying his best.

• Moderation Lead

Inexperience tomphil, nothing malicious in my opinion, just inexperience and out of his depth.

I don't blame him for that, the way you get over such weakness is to manage, thats what he's doing, trying his best.

Nothing malicious, no. But it's extremely disappointing to still see such soft goals being let in and the same defensive frailties and lack of style this far into his reign!

Archived