BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 4

Brown was promoted with Sunderland back in the annuls (2004/05) when getting out of bed didn't put him in traction but who was Varney promoted from the championship with? I recall him playing for "newly promoted" Blackpool (2010/11). In fact it was widely publicised that Blackpool were the only Premierleague side with a player from a lower league on loan

I thought he's been signed on loan in the season they got promoted and after but either way it's still top flight and second tier experience.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would Saxton have survived as long in the age of social media and fan scrutiny? I don't think you can compare the two eras.

In those days, highlights of Rovers on TV was a relative rarity. If you didn't go to the game, talking to those who did down the pub or waiting for tomorrow's papers was how you got most of your info.

It was a slow burn for a manager compared to today.

You are correct that is difficult to do comparisons from different generations but the fundamentals of management remain the same. They are principally being sound tactically, knowing your best team and system, good preparation and sometimes being brave. This is where Saxton (and most other managers) scores immeasurably over Bowyer. During the Saxton era you could pretty much predict the team but with Bowyer that is nigh impossible. Saxton knew the best system to get the most out of the players he had at his disposal.

For me you either have what it takes to be a manager or you don't.

Saxton himself went into the river for a ball once, was carried down stream and could have drowned!

Without descending into a Python sketch (You think you have it bad? back in the day the first team squad, all 10 of them, lived in a shoe box on Nuttall Street) it is fair to say that the club didn't have a pot to wee in back then. I can confidently say that Saxton got the most out of every single player at his disposal. Not only that you only have to listen to those who played for him from that time to hear the affection they had for him and the club.

But yes, it wasn't all a bed of roses back then. No way Jose. Every manager has their shelf life and when you're sat bottom of the table, with no sign of improvement, then it's inevitable what happens next.

Well, most of the time anyway.

Didn't Barker say Saxton taught him how to tackle properly early on in his career? He did a good job there.

I wonder how big Bobby's squad was?

I bet he'd have loved 24 players to chose from let alone use it as a bleating excuse every day. 24 players. Yes TWO whole bloody teams!! with two to spare ffs!

Jesus wept, take a bleedin' rest will you.

Anyway, on the Saxton subject a mate of mine was an apprentice at Rovers when he was at the club. He reckoned he was a great coach and the players had the utmost respect for him. They were a real tight knit bunch which no doubt helped them to punch above their weight, as they regularly did.

It looks like Van Gaal has agreed to let James Wilson leave on loan to a championship club.

We should be all over that, but looks like Derby are the front runners.

I read yesterday that over 20 clubs are interested in him on loan.

What are his wages and do Man Utd want a loan fee? If they do want a loan fee then we cant sign him cos we cant pay loan fees. Just like When we were interested in Southampton striker Sam Gallagher.

I bet he'd have loved 24 players to chose from let alone use it as a bleating excuse every day. 24 players. Yes TWO whole bloody teams!! with two to spare ffs!

Those days Clubs had proper Reserve Teams catering for youth and players on the way back from injury.

I remember being about the only person standing on the Darwen End watching our Reserves v WBA. McEvoy was playing and scored, he must have been coming back from injury. Seem to recall a WBA player sent off but not sure.

It's been nice to have a talk about the 'old days' and a good break from the usual.

What are his wages and do Man Utd want a loan fee? If they do want a loan fee then we cant sign him cos we cant pay loan fees. Just like When we were interested in Southampton striker Sam Gallagher.

I think Van Gaal will send him to a Club who will give him a game and also try to play passing football and not hoof-ball

• Moderation Lead

Wilson is good enough to play in the PL regularly imo, so I'd be surprised if a lower-PL club didn't have a punt at getting him on loan.

Looking back on the old stuff again it seems Saxton built it up over a few years on shirt buttons and we had a stab at promotion before the wheels fell off. It's that old football thing of 3 to 4 year cycles with one manager before it comes unstuck and things start going backwards, we've seen it so many times. Saxton, Mackay, Souness. Who knows it could have happened with Hughsey once he ran out of rabbits in the hat.

Once things go stale and hit that wall it's very difficult to turn it around, even with money. I think we are at that juncture now with Gaz even though a lot of the players still seem to play for him they need fresh ideas and new impetus imo.

Wilson is good enough to play in the PL regularly imo, so I'd be surprised if a lower-PL club didn't have a punt at getting him on loan.

Now that the transfer window is closed I don't know think that's possible.

We should be pushing for players like this we are closer to manc we could come to an arrangement where he can train with them once or twice a week when possible.

• Backroom

United may waive the loan fee in favour of a recall option, I suppose. They are light on strikers so may need him back at very short notice.

However, with so many clubs involved and our only advantage being location, I'd be surprised if Wilson came here.

Those days Clubs had proper Reserve Teams catering for youth and players on the way back from injury.

I remember being about the only person standing on the Darwen End watching our Reserves v WBA. McEvoy was playing and scored, he must have been coming back from injury. Seem to recall a WBA player sent off but not sure.

It's been nice to have a talk about the 'old days' and a good break from the usual.

In those days ARA if you weren't in the first XIII you played in the stiffs. Nowadays clubs think training is enough to keep a player fit and it shows on matchdays

As others have mentioned, Saxton had a tough act to follow when he took over from Howard Kendall in '81.

However, he built steadily and his era peaked with the near promotion miss of '85.

Towards the the end of that season our formed dipped worryingly and that trend continued for the whole of the following season resulting in the near miss from relegation.

The fans frustration of the near miss and subsequent struggle did boil over into protests, but they were aimed at the chairman as much as the manager, ( we failed to strengthen the squad for the promotion run in ).

Like most managers, Saxton had a shelf life and when we struggled again the following season it was obvious his time was up.

However, I agree with Jim Wilkinson's blog and Mercerman's opinion that Saxton did a great job overall on a ridiculously tight budget, (Rovers couldn't pay the phone bill on one occasion).

He built a good side on a pittance compared to what Bowyer's had to spend and only had a very small squad to work with.

The good thing about that was it led to a settled side and we didn't have all this ridiculous chopping and changing.

If it were a choice between Bowyer and Saxton, Bowyer would come third.

My Dad always says that this is the reason that Franz Carr was sold to Forest, don't know how true that is.

IMV, Saxton had a plan, a real football man; Bowyer is simply a joke.

Bowyer is proving to be not manager material, and something seems off at the moment, but to call him a joke and insinuate he isn't a real football man? It's not long ago that we were pretty much all in favour of this guy after the previous disasters. He's at least instilled some sense of stability, even if that means mediocrity, into the team. We forget how bad it was prior to that, and how easily things could have become even worse. To call him a joke seems a bit harsh to me, Mercerman!

it was during Saxton's reign that i first started watching Rovers and my memory maybe playing tricks on me but it felt like about 15!! the first 11 would hardly change and your 1 sub would come from about 3-4 players

Bowyer is proving to be not manager material, and something seems off at the moment, but to call him a joke and insinuate he isn't a real football man? It's not long ago that we were pretty much all in favour of this guy after the previous disasters. He's at least instilled some sense of stability, even if that means mediocrity, into the team. We forget how bad it was prior to that, and how easily things could have become even worse. To call him a joke seems a bit harsh to me, Mercerman!

Well said, Phil. And could still be.

I don't think it is as simple as instilling a work ethic in players nowadays. Saxton could do that in his squad more easily than Bowyer not because of the quality of players at his disposal but the kind of people who are now playing football and the sums they earn, even at a lower level.

When I bump into the members of the Rovers squad on a night out down Blackburn, like you might do years ago, I will change my mind.

Gary has his limitations. That's almost beyond argument after having witnessed (not watched) what was served up last season. But the hand he has been dealt, and the way he has acted with a good measure of dignity, in public anyway, he deserves more than pelters.

The shelf-life comments above are right. I reckon Hughesy saw the writing on the wall. Gary is probably reaching a similar point. But, when not if he goes, he will be one of the few I shall applaud for their efforts, if not his achievements.

it was during Saxton's reign that i first started watching Rovers and my memory maybe playing tricks on me but it felt like about 15!! the first 11 would hardly change and your 1 sub would come from about 3-4 players

I thought it was 2 subs in the 80's?

I thought it was 2 subs in the 80's?

When subs were first introduced it was only 1 and were only allowed to name 1.

First sub to be used was in 1965, but this was only allowed for injury.

First tactical substitution was permitted in 1967.

1988 changed to 2 subs from 5.

2 plus goalkeeper in 1994 and then to 3 in 1995.

My first memories are of 1 substitute, for some reason I always seem to remember Kevin Stonehouse as being our regular sub :huh:

Wolves want Marshall on emergency loan

Not sure how seriously to take it without quotes, and it saying that Marshall's been one of our better players so far.

'Blackburn have made a poor start to the season and are still without a win, having been knocked out of the League Cup. However Marshall, 24, has been one of their better players.'

Ummmm take it the reporters don't watch Rovers!

When subs were first introduced it was only 1 and were only allowed to name 1.

First sub to be used was in 1965, but this was only allowed for injury.

First tactical substitution was permitted in 1967.

1988 changed to 2 subs from 5.

2 plus goalkeeper in 1994 and then to 3 in 1995.

My first memories are of 1 substitute, for some reason I always seem to remember Kevin Stonehouse as being our regular sub :huh:

. Good shout'Billy Wilson the blond full back was the first nominated sub first game of 1965,and the first sub to be used was Johnny Byrom,who came on for Mick McGrath (injury) Nov '65,how times have changed..

Archived