BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 4

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not suggesting he warrants a place or that he isn't a poor player but blimey we've had a lot worse over the years MM.

Thinking back over the years, I am really scratching my head to think of any midfielders who have been so ineffectual, or such a liability, as Lowe has this season.

Thinking back over the years, I am really scratching my head to think of any midfielders who have been so ineffectual, or such a liability, as Lowe has this season.

Apart from the fact that you've now shifted to 'midfielders' rather than simply 'players' lets not forget that the vast majority of the duds didn't get picked very often and so probably weren't as big a liability in that sense, but even in very recent times I can think of Murphy and Etuhu in central midfield. At least Lowe puts a shift in and isn't afraid to receive the ball. Others just off the top of my head include Linganzi and Petrovic, possibly Keith Andrews (though I don't think he was as bad as some think either). In other positions there are scores; Grabbi, Davies, McKinnon, Peacock etc etc. Lowe is nowhere near the worst player ever to pull on our famous shirt. He's not even the worst in the current squad!

I can named you these of top of my head

Danny Murphy, Etuhu, Goulan, Langinzi, Rosado, Vogel, Marrow, Petrovic.

I can named you these of top of my head

Danny Murphy, Etuhu, Goulan, Langinzi, Rosado, Vogel, Marrow, Petrovic.

Danny Murphy - England international who won the treble with Liverpool

Etuhu - Nigerian international with something like 150 PL starts

Vogel - capped almost 100 times for Switzerland, over 300 games for Grasshoppers, PSV, Milan and Betis

Petrovic - capped over 40 times for Serbia, did ok in Turkey with Glensomething and now with KIev

Are you seriously telling me that Lowe will ever reach such heights ?

Danny Murphy - England international who won the treble with Liverpool

Etuhu - Nigerian international with something like 150 PL starts

Vogel - capped almost 100 times for Switzerland, over 300 games for Grasshoppers, PSV, Milan and Betis

Petrovic - capped over 40 times for Serbia, did ok in Turkey with Glensomething and now with KIev

Are you seriously telling me that Lowe will ever reach such heights ?

you said in a Rovers shirt and nothing more. now you have change the goalposts on your argument/to suit your argument.

The players I mentioned above were all rubbish when playing for us.

Exactly and MMs point was about blue and white. Calling Lowe the worst player of all time is the definition of hyperbole.

Whoa, let's get the facts right. I said "IMV, one of the most overrated and worst players ever to wear a blue and white shirt''.

The likes of Messrs Murphy, Vogel, Etuhu and Petrovic might have bombed at Rovers but at least they did have a track record at the highest level. Four full international players, played at the highest level and a couple of them with medals to throw on the table. What has Master Lowe achieved ? Lowe is going backwards and, IMV, under any other manager than Bowyer, would not be playing for Rovers at Championship level.

Whoa, let's get the facts right. I said "IMV, one of the most overrated and worst players ever to wear a blue and white shirt''.

The likes of Messrs Murphy, Vogel, Etuhu and Petrovic might have bombed at Rovers but at least they did have a track record at the highest level. Four full international players, played at the highest level and a couple of them with medals to throw on the table. What has Master Lowe achieved ? Lowe is going backwards and, IMV, under any other manager than Bowyer, would not be playing for Rovers at Championship level.

It was me that initially called you out on your comment MM. I enjoy reading your posts generally, you're prepared to stick your neck out on things, but IMV Lowe is absolutely not even close to being 'one of the worst players ever to wear a blue and white shirt'. I don't care what Danny Murphy or any of the others did while at other clubs and you're being disingenuous by referring to international caps and medals. In fact, in some ways that makes their dire performances for us even less easy to stomach.

Rovers fans have always needed a scapegoat and Lowe is currently it, along with Brown (though I doubt we'll see him again). Lowe isn't the prettiest or most eye catching player I'll grant you that but he does do a job of sorts and has been an okay right back. As I said earlier, as it happens he wouldn't be in my squad if everyone was fit and available, but he might be if I had a couple of injuries and/or suspensions.

That said, you are perfectly entitled to your opinion on Lowe, which I totally respect but fundamentally disagree with, in relation to him being 'one of the worst ever'.

Rovers fans have always needed a scapegoat and Lowe is currently it, along with Brown (though I doubt we'll see him again). Lowe isn't the prettiest or most eye catching player I'll grant you that but he does do a job of sorts

And what is that job 'of sorts'?

He can't tackle, he can't press, he can't pass.

Apart from running around a lot, what exactly does Lowe contribute to the team?

And what is that job 'of sorts'?

He can't tackle, he can't press, he can't pass.

Apart from running around a lot, what exactly does Lowe contribute to the team?

He can and does do all three of those things, maybe not as well as you would like, but he would not have made it as a professional footballer were he lacking all three of those basic attributes, let alone represent and captain his country at under 21 level! I think the general consensus even on this message board is that he is an adequate right back. In every post on this subject I've stated that he wouldn't be near my first eleven but equally he is far from the worst player ever to play for Rovers. That is the context of the discussion, not whether he is a good player or not per se.

He can and does do all three of those things, maybe not as well as you would like, but he would not have made it as a professional footballer were he lacking all three of those basic attributes, let alone represent and captain his country at under 21 level! I think the general consensus even on this message board is that he is an adequate right back. In every post on this subject I've stated that he wouldn't be near my first eleven but equally he is far from the worst player ever to play for Rovers. That is the context of the discussion, not whether he is a good player or not per se.

Plenty of professional footballers have stolen a living. Wise up.

• Moderation Lead

A lot of people are being melodramatic about Lowe. He's a reasonable back up player who can play in a couple of positions imo.

Simply put, when everyone's fit, there are better players than Lowe in both the positions he can play in. Without doubt though, he's the current scapegoat.

Archived