BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 4

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tomlinson should be part of the 1st team match day squad. He was very good during pre season.

Rovers should be looking to bring through at least 2 or 3 Academy players per season if they are good enough.

Just which league do you expect Rovers first team to be playing in for this to happen chaddy.

I imagine it's a frustrating time being an academy prospect. For all this talk of giving youth a chance in the first team, the reality is Bowyer rarely does it, unless it appears to be the complete wrong decision. Raya being brought in was a needless and unnecessary change that has already cost us points this season. Defenders, no sign of any making the break just yet, with Bowyer keener on sticking with the likes of Spurr, who isn't even the best first teamer for his position. The academy midfielders such as Mahoney, Tomlinson, Lenihan etc don't look like getting a sniff and must be frustrated by the number of positional rivals we've signed this summer. Tomlinson was very impressive pre-season, but no chance of him getting in our over-crowded yet weak midfield. Mahoney doesn't even look like getting bench time. If you're going to bring in a PL winger in Barrow on loan, then play him. If you're going to stick with what you've got, it highlights another poor signing and waste of a squad place by Bowyer. Might as well have Mahoney warming the bench instead. Lenihan and O'Sullivan must be frustrated. I am sure they signed new deals on the premise that they'd get game-time. Lenihan was our best CB at the end of last season and if he's that good when being played out of position, I'd like to see him given a shot in his natural DM position. Under Bowyer, no chance. The strikers? No chance of pipping ahead of Chris Brown, which is a real shame.

In clubs up and down the country there are youngsters being given a shot and many play regularly at this level. The only one we have playing is Raya, who I'm sure most will agree should never have replaced Steele. I imagine Steele will be back in the starting line-up before long anyway, which will make the situation even more of a farce.

It's a very poor do that our academy can't produce players who are as good as the misfits we have been bringing in this summer. The only chance we had of surviving the Venky instigated crisis we are in is if we could bring through 3 or 4 who could play regularly in the 1st team but their doesn't seem to be much there. Can't see much enthusiasm for loaning players to a club like ours either, doubt a relegation scrap is on the career trajectory of many young PL players. Doomed I tell thi.

Good post and spot on.

Bowyer should be in and around the academy, not in the managers chair, he's great as a coach, great with the younger lads and that's his level.

The backroom has been decimated by cost cutting and staff leaving, that's probably the main reason why nobody's coming through. It's shortsighted, but not surprising rely.

I think Bowyer is looking for a quick Raya sale - as early as the next window. Expect Rya to feature until sold or if his form dips drastically. Bowyer is only interested in profits for V's and his own CV.

Raya was being looked at by a premiership club in the summer. If it's going to happen he'll have to improve..

You're bang on he'll feature until he's either sold or dropped if form dips

From what little I've seen of our academy products, I'd love to see them integrated into the team more.

Go 451.

------------Raya

Henley-Hanley-Duffy-Olsson

-----------Lenihan

-------Guthrie-----Akpan

Marshall-----------------Conway

-------------Rhodes

Bring on as subs if/when apt: Nyambe, Mahoney, Tomlinson.

I just dont think Rhodes up front on his own is a goer, especially if we have no pace. Which with Barrow gone we don't.

Shouldn't matter. If a club has the facilities we have, you should expect some bang for your buck regarding the youth team.

Totally agree.

We are spending millions on the academy each season. We should be bringing through academy players into the 1st team by now.

Lenihan, Tomlinson, Mahoney and Nyambe should be part of the 1st team squad. Are they?

Will Bowyer give them chance in the 1st team tho?

Pat, do you really think the guy is going to grow a neck at Rovers? No. No chance. Other clubs will have already tried and failed. I know, I know, I'm living in the past, expecting too much - hankering after "the old days" - but I tell you this; a few months with Dalglish and Harford and he'd have a neck alright. No bother. A good thick 'un as well. And he'd then be 6 foot 1. SIX FOOT ruddy ONE! Now that would be worthy of it's own headline.

It's all about the bloody football with you Bob. This poor fella is mooching about with no neck and all you are concerned about is his footballing prowess. It's all about humanity for me. Just look at Rudy. That lad walked in here and he was quite frankly a shambles. We built him up and he's signed for villa with a quite magnificent head of hair. It brings a tear to my eye. And this neckless lad could be another success story in the making. Just look past the fact he's 31 and has no real credentials.

• Moderation Lead

Totally agree.

We are spending millions on the academy each season. We should be bringing through academy players into the 1st team by now.

Lenihan, Tomlinson, Mahoney and Nyambe should be part of the 1st team squad. Are they?

Will Bowyer give them chance in the 1st team tho?

That's always been my argument. To say that he used to be a youth team coach, he's not given any of the youth much of a chance. (Apart from existing youth team graduates).

Our central midfield is so bereft of creativity/drive/forward thinking, the kids are surely alright??

It's all about the bloody football with you Bob. This poor fella is mooching about with no neck and all you are concerned about is his footballing prowess. It's all about humanity for me. Just look at Rudy. That lad walked in here and he was quite frankly a shambles. We built him up and he's signed for villa with a quite magnificent head of hair. It brings a tear to my eye. And this neckless lad could be another success story in the making. Just look past the fact he's 31 and has no real credentials.

Pat, I’m going to try and draw a line under this as it’s probably interrupting the incessant grumbling. However I’m not sure what you’re advocating here. Where will you draw the line? Gladstone Small at right wing? Sandy Toksvig at left back?

I think Bowyer is looking for a quick Raya sale - as early as the next window. Expect Rya to feature until sold or if his form dips drastically. Bowyer is only interested in profits for V's and his own CV.

Could be a nice little bonus system for some in that :blink:

In any case I'd expect him to rotate the keepers pretty soon anyway. He probably decided to give Raya the first 10 to get some value in him from playing games, he'll pick up a 'knock' soon and Steeley who's taken it all quite well will be back in. Probably to be rotated again after another 10 or so, maybe even Clint will get a look in. That's how this gaffer seems to work.

Im beginning to think this International break has turned a few posters into Gary Bowyer!

People suddenly advocating throwing in any player into the team.

I thought the general concensus on here was we ve got the players that should regularly play but just need a manager to organise them and we ll more than hold our own in this league? The problem is the manager ..

One of Bowyers biggest criticism is that he doesnt keep a regular starting eleven yet now we re all chucking names forward to be played.

As for playing the kids...the embargo put paid to giving them experience towards the end of last season ..five appearances ..a senior squad place gone.And when we do play the kids ala Raya ..people are already calling for him to be dropped ! Imagine if we d started with another 3 kids in the side and in the league position we are now ? total uproar on here .."Bowyer playing kids with more experienced players on the sidelines..."

We should by now have at least 9 names on the team sheet for every saturday ..lets not get as muddled as Bowyer pulling names out of a hat and hoping for the best.

Its Bowyer that needs to pull his socks up and get the best out of his signings ..he knows (or should know) what they bring to the team and how best to exploit that to the teams advantage.

Roll on Sunday so we can all analyse rather than surmise ..

I found this interesting - it's about Rovers previous 'embargo' experience.

Not a bad team Bobby tacked together too. I wonder what the % mark ups on players would be today say on Barker, Patterson and Garner.

https://blueyedboy.wordpress.com/2015/09/09/all-we-want-at-ewood-is-what-bob-gave-us-on-buttons/

Great squad photo - a team of real people.

Looking back at that chronology and remembering those seasons, every signing had a purpose, to replace or improve someone in what was a recognisably coherent pattern of play within a tactical framework which didn’t confuse the players and spectators at every turn.

I found this interesting - it's about Rovers previous 'embargo' experience.

Not a bad team Bobby tacked together too. I wonder what the % mark ups on players would be today say on Barker, Patterson and Garner.

https://blueyedboy.wordpress.com/2015/09/09/all-we-want-at-ewood-is-what-bob-gave-us-on-buttons/

Great squad photo - a team of real people.

Seems like only yesterday.

Perhaps only Rhodes and Conway would a get a sniff of a start on a man to man basis.

Those really were happy days.

Of all the youth team players the only one I'd give a game to would be Tomlinson as he looked like he was a centre mid who could pass forward and strike a ball, and our other options are so poor.

O'Sullivan does not look better than what we have. Nor Lenihan. Nyambe maybe but Henley is doing well enough.

What would be useful is if our youth team produced a striker who could step up and start scoring from the off. Not had one of those since Derbyshire and Gallagher...

Seems like only yesterday.

Perhaps only Rhodes and Conway would a get a sniff of a start on a man to man basis.

Those really were happy days.

I think you're looking at that with rose tinted spectacles Mercerman. I well remember being at Gay Meadow in 84-85 when were thrashed 3-0 and the fans calling for Bob's head, having lost the two previous away games at Oldham and Brighton. We were top at Christmas if I remember and then it all fell apart in the second half of the season. The following campaign we avoided relegation on the last day of the season, again if I remember rightly our game had to be put back to the Monday because the pitch was waterlogged on the Saturday and so we knew it was win or bust on that Monday night. I seem to remember the players taking to the field with Elvis singing "It's now or never!" over the tannoy. The following season we were bottom at Christmas and Bob was reluctantly sacked by Bill Fox after weeks of pressure from the fans for a change. Bob was a very decent manager and a very decent man but let's not pretend that everything was a bed of roses. It seems to me that it was rather like today in some ways - the fans wanting the board to take action and replace the manager - some things never change.

Archived