BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Reffin' 'ell!

Mike E

Rovers v United. Ref allows them to take a quick free kick while our player who had been red carded was still walking off the pitch. Was it Craig Short???

Yes it was and David Beckham who knowingly cheated to score. A scandalous decision for which the referee should have been disciplined.

Also we were leading 1-0 when Ashby the cheat gave the penalty to bring it level on the stroke of half time. Hendry then scored at the start of the second half. That should have been 2-0 with all eleven still on the pitch. As it was numerical advantage was too much and Manure scored 3 more.

The late Ashby? Don't speak ill of the dead..

This topic could be separated just for Man U games, every game for several years included refereeing errors, and all of them against us.

I remember MGP being clean through on goal at Old Trafford and their full-back (rafael?) makes the most blatant cynical foul to bring him down, everyone stops expecting the penalty and red card and the referee plays on.

Rovers v United. Ref allows them to take a quick free kick while our player who had been red carded was still walking off the pitch. Was it Craig Short???

This one immediately sprung to my mind too

Yes it was and David Beckham who knowingly cheated to score. A scandalous decision for which the referee should have been disciplined.

I don't think any blame could be laid at Beckham's door, he played to the whistle, I doubt he was stood there just watching Short trudge off.

Was it Saha who scored a handballed equaliser against us for Man United in the 5th minute of injury time (Ref having allocated 3, then played on presumably until United scored)?

If memory serves, I think Saha handballed it to lay it off for Alan Smith? Or maybe the other way round? Was old purple nose raging at the fourth official for the 3 or 4 minutes injury time? (Hence the 5 minutes played)

As a young 13 year old I wrote to the FA when Craig Short was not given a penalty at home to Derby in the FA Cup in 2001. As blatant a penalty as you'll see. My main argument centred around the fact that not long before that Ellary had been relegated for a few weeks after only booking Robbie Keane against Man Utd for a tackle that warranted a red. I wondered why this sort of punishment was only dished out when Man Utd suffered. I got a fairly token response

Agree wholeheartedly with this one!

I fancied us to win the league in 1994 and but for some very favourable decisions for Utd. I honestly think we could have done.

There was a definite bias towards them back then and so many massive decisions were made in their favour. Scum.

The bias towards Utd in the 90's and Liverpool in the 80's was sickening. The kop just had to scream penalty and they got one, Utd players surrounded refs for every single decision for or against from first min to last. That's before Fergie got to work behind the scenes. At least having big characters like Wenger etc come into the English game evened it out a bit.

A lot of refs and particularly lino's in our league are just plain awful, mostly in a not up to the job kind of way. God knows what it's like in the lower leagues although I have to say that from watching the likes of Chorley some seem to see things that those at our level strangely don't. Blatant handballs or balls over the line for instance.

Do refs have agents I wonder.......

My neighbour is wearing his MU top yesterday morning. "Who are YOU playing today?" asks me(knowing full well its Everton Away)

No bloody idea has the plonker -just redoubles my antagonism towards the team and most of their 'supporters'.

The worst one I have ever seen by far, was Charlton away, the year we were first relegated from the premier league. The game was a sell out and was beamed back live to Ewood on the big screen M son and I went to Ewood to watch, what was a crucial game. With about 20 minutes to go and the score 0-0, Ashley Ward broke into the box and the Charlton Centre Half and keeper, both clattered into Ward and sent him literally flying into the air. All the Rovers fans at Ewood, screamed for what was a blatant penalty. The Referee waived play on, as the players surrounded him, protesting. The game finished 0-0 and I think those extra 2 points, would have had a massive bearing on our fate at the time.

That night on Match of the day, they replayed the incident 2 or 3 times. Alan Hansen said, I feel sorry for the players the manager and all the supporters, as you will never see a clearer penalty in your life. Although I have blue and white spectacles on permanently, I don't think I have ever seen a more blatant penalty claim waived away, in the 43 years I have been following the game!

Clattenburg gave a penalty against Grant Hanley away at Fulham in 2011 at the end of the game, causing us to lose 3-2. It was for a "shirt pull", the kind that happens 50 times in a game. Not one of their players or fans appealed. Nobody knew at the time why it was given. It was as though clattenburg decided he was going to give the penalty before the corner was taken.

I try to avoid having a go at referees as I appreciate the job, particularly at amateur level, that they do. However I was upset at Clattenburg that night.

I'm not one to have a go at refs and don't like it when managers put the result down to them. Yesterdays ref had a bad game though. Their keeper got away with just a free kick when he brought down Rhodes I think out of his area. He then gave yellow cards to both teams for innocuous challenges but let a few bad tackles slide.

I'm not one to have a go at refs and don't like it when managers put the result down to them. Yesterdays ref had a bad game though. Their keeper got away with just a free kick when he brought down Rhodes I think out of his area. He then gave yellow cards to both teams for innocuous challenges but let a few bad tackles slide.

He was poor. The thing that really riled me though was when Church was injured off the field of play. He actually stopped Steele from taking a goal kick while he went over to check on Church. In the second half Conway went down injured and he didn't go over to him, he merely signalled for the MK Dons keeper to take the goal kick. Meanwhile Conway was lying prone clearly injured. At the time of the first incident we were one down and two down for the second.

A clearer case of bias you wouldn't see.

Not mentioning that the game hinged on one "clear opportunity to score" when Henley was sent off, but ignored when Rhodes was taken out!

Referees have been particularly poor for us this season and it seems the more GB or any of us moan- the worse it gets! Paranoid?

Another joke of a decision vs Man U came when Kalinic scored, only to have it ruled out for offside. I think Evra(?) was down injured and was playing him on by 3 or 4 yards. Not the most angry I've been but I remember being particularly disappointed for Niko.

What was that game in 1999 where we drew 3-3? Southampton away I think but could have been Charlton or some other strugglers. Pretty sure Ward got poleaxed by their keeper and nothing given but memory's a bit hazy.

Also at Southampton I remember a 3-2 defeat in 2004 I think - they got a ridiculously soft late penalty to win it on Sky.

The West Ham game is well up there, as well as Saha's handball and Smith's winner ridiculously late.

Away at United in 2003 too - we lost 3-1, their keeper should have walked for a foul which would have left a player in net. He stayed on, Dunn missed the penalty and we lost.

Good old George Courtney's shoddy display in the play off 2nd leg at Palace deserves a mention. Ok he went someway to rectifying it at Wembley but it was still shocking. Don't think there was any malice in it from him or he'd been 'got at' he just bottled it in the cauldron of Selhurst that afternoon. Should have took the players off with 10 mins to go when hundreds of their lot spilled onto the sidelines, how the hell were our lot supposed to perform there'd have been carnage had we scored.

Archived