BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] If You Were The New Manager...

Madon

As far as the players go i think they should ALL be given a clean slate and offered the oppurtunity to impress, even players that have been gash up to now(hmhm! Lowe) might improve under a quality manager, group of coaches and playing in a solid system.

edit. sorry, what 'riverside returns' says.

As mentioned by others I would be clear that this was a fresh start and that places were up for grabs for everyone.

I'd also be clear that this season is by no means a write off. That we go out to win and collect as many points as possible and see where this takes us. If we fall short so be it but at least we'll be able to say we gave it a 'right good go' (sorry couldn't resist... ^_^ )

My priorities would be:-

1) Work on team fitness and intensity to make them the best in the league

2) After a brief initial assessment of the players capabilities implement a system that I feel uses our players well, and that I am comfortable with as a manager. Also work on a plan B that we can change up to as required.

3) Get Lawrence's loan extended till the end of the season. See if theres anyway he could be signed

4) Sign one or two new stikers, a right winger and maybe a right back.

First of all, ensure that players do their jobs correctly. Educate each and everyone what is expected of them. Once you have that situation remedied. Work out and work on what each one is capable of and work to make them bette players.

Do not ever over hype them and blow proverbial smoke out of. It is important and realistic to get the best out of each player by understanding their individual needs and working on their specifics,

It is all an interesting dilema - though the results haven't been great - the performances have actually been quite good. It is all about getting that extra 10% out of the players to turn draws into wins. Somehow we also need to start converting all the chances into goals - which will be more challenging given that virtually the whole team have been missing chances.

1. Get rid of the signing nice guys only policy and pay off Brown, Williamson and Taylor.

2. Bring in a couple of nasty b******

3. Play a pressing game.

4. Dont talk crap to the fans postmatch.

1. I would retain Taylor - as I think he is a good squad player. But in terms of improving results these three players have had limited game time this season

2. Personally rather see skillful players with attitude brought in.

3. We have increasingly played a pressing game this season - which is why performances (IMO) have improved

4. Every manager has their own sound bites - personally don't care what they say as long as the results improve. Though I would have preferred Bowyer to be a bit more honest in his assessments at times - I prefer for managers to bring players to task behind closed doors rather than in the press.

The way forward is simple.

Lambert and co need to create a siege mentality at the club from the very off.

BRFC is a massive club that has been through the mill, aired its washing in public, has been ridiculed and lambasted and has to watch as its own fanbase has been split, torn apart from in fighting and has seen the fabulous elements the club was renowned for disintegrate one by one.

There is a chance to right a lot of the wrong. It wont be easy but by creating the siege mentality one thing it will do is galvanise the club, the players and the fans.

Ewood can have a fabulous atmosphere, even half full. The fans in voice create a noise other massive clubs envy. Lambert and co can get that back and very quickly imo. If he is given support by the fans, backing by the club and we don't sell JR then who knows what they can achieve?

We have seen the club benefit from the feel good factor. Maybe, just maybe, this time can take it the step forward we so desperately need. That first step is massive after that it becomes easier and easier.

Time for Ewood to unite and see what we can do TOGETHER.

I would start by reaching out to the fans, and especially those in 'exile'. Tell them they deserve better and that my side will be hard-working and I will accept nothing less from my players. Let the players know their responsibility in this and how they conduct themselves off the pitch is important. Look at improving the defensive aspect of our fullbacks game (conceding far too many crosses), and work on adapting our style of play to better suit our current crop of players. Long balls only when under pressure, and strictly into channels rather than lump up to Rhodes who loses the challenge. I would press higher up the pitch and work on their fitness, and I would put Duffy (along with our other threats) through some extra training to improve his ratio on attacking set pieces.

I would let the players know they will start with a clean sheet, but that I expect professionalism and proper attitude every day in training and the mentality that no one is too old to learn. I would talk to Kinder on the youth situation and talk to the youngsters on the fringes (Mahoney, Nyambe, Tomlinson and Raya) that they will have a good chance of getting gametime, but at the same time be patient as we are in need for points - but to expect some minutes towards the end of games to feel of what first team football is about.

Assess until January then strenghten, probably a striker, a quick winger and a central midfielder.

I'd solidify the team with a proper central midfield trio, do my best to get rid of one goalkeeper and at least one central midfielder, give serious thought to dropping either Hanley or Duffy for Kilgallon, and mull over the pros and cons of Rhodes playing as a lone striker and what a potential transfer fee for him could do for the team as a whole. The likeliness of Lambert doing the same is probably limited to the first three suggestions.

I'd solidify the team with a proper central midfield trio, do my best to get rid of one goalkeeper and at least one central midfielder, give serious thought to dropping either Hanley or Duffy for Kilgallon, and mull over the pros and cons of Rhodes playing as a lone striker and what a potential transfer fee for him could do for the team as a whole. The likeliness of Lambert doing the same is probably limited to the first three suggestions.

Bowyer's tactics often left Rhodes isolated and I believe he performed in spite of the team's tactics/style of play. Lambert might well be able to take his game to a whole new level (fingers crossed anyways).

They've formed a decent partnership so far this season. If we had a smidgen of defensive work going on in midfield, which is exactly where things need to be fixed in my view, then we'd be better off overall. A pair of decent defenders still needs help from the midfield. "Defend from the front" is a mantra we haven't seen for years.

I still think Bowyer assembled as good a group of players as we could've hoped for under the circumstances. Lambert now needs to get the best out of them.

Archived