BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] If You Were The New Manager...

Madon

• Backroom

Torgeir asked a very good question in the New Manager thread which I thought deserved its own discussion.

What would you do if you were the new manager of Blackburn Rovers?

I would start by getting rid of the likes of Jason Lowe, Tommy Spurr, Lee Williamson and Sacha Petshi and replacing them with the likes of Connor Mahoney, Ryan Nyambe and Willem Tomlinson who all seem to be pushing for a place in the first team.

This should ensure we're out of the embargo by next summer at the very latest I'd imagine.

I would try and keep hold of Jordan Rhodes at all costs, although if he asks to leave again at the end of the season I think it would be unfair on him to keep him for another season.

The new manager needs to engage with the supporters and hold regular meetings (the Q&A was brilliant), most importantly, don't bare face lie in the press and wind up supporters, honesty goes a long way.

There are too many things to list that would get fans back to Ewood, winning games being the obvious one, give the lads a kick up the arse and lets get back where we belong.

:rover::brfc::tu:

I would start by getting rid of the likes of Jason Lowe, Tommy Spurr, Lee Williamson and Sacha Petshi and replacing them with the likes of Connor Mahoney, Ryan Nyambe and Willem Tomlinson who all seem to be pushing for a place in the first team.

You might find buyers for Lowe & Spurr, but nobody's gonna buy Williamson, whereas Petshi's contract expires next summer anyway.

• Backroom

You might find buyers for Lowe & Spurr, but nobody's gonna buy Williamson, whereas Petshi's contract expires next summer anyway.

Lowe, Spurr & Williamsons wages would be quite a big chunk to get rid of so even if it meant releasing Williamson then so be it.

Sacha Petshi, although I've only ever seen him play once is either a massive gamble or somebody doing somebody else a massive favour... (Edinho Jr springs to mind)

The best genuine advice I could give any new manager would be call a spade a spade. If we were great say so, if we were crap say so and how intend to rectify it.

For 5 years now starting with kean ending with bowyer I was/am sick to death of hearing we were brilliant/tremendous/fantastic whether we win, lose or draw. Sick of hearing obscure stats to try and convince folk we were somehow better than we were. The vast majority of fans know whether we've been terrible or good so don't treat the fans like we are stupid by trying to put a positive spin on poor performances constantly.

I would motivate the players and tell them that despite what they may have been led to believe, we are capable of winning every game we take part in. I'd really emphasize on that is what we should be doing at home. I'd point out that 'The standards that they'd set themselves' weren't particularly high and if they want to feel my wrath, or becomefamiliar with a cold arse on a subs bench, then go ahead and make calamatous mistakes.

I would then point at Rhodes and say, "Pass to this guy in and around the box, not smash the ball at his chest".

Then we'd go on to the training pitch and I'd focus on passing forwards.

Anyone using nicknames for management would be fined. Repeat offenders, maimed.

The youth players will be blooded before square pegs are put in round holes.

I would put the fear of God into our players,lacklustre results and performances simply not acceptable.

If you dont want promotion for yourselves the club and fans then the door is over there.

A will to win,a burning desire to succeed needs drilling into this side.

It's THE only way.

We need a manager who commands respect, not fear. A fine line perhaps, but the days of old-school disciplinarians are over.

Some Rovers DVD'S from the Hughes era wouldn't go amiss.

That's how I want us to be again. A mixture of problem players, journeymen, youth and rough diamonds - all with something to prove and bucket fulls of effort.

• Backroom

Not sure why Petshi is put in the dud bracket and not with the likes of Mahoney.

Every reserve game he seems at the heart of everything and making things happen.

If there was one thing I'd be sorting out, it has be tactics. I think most of us agree that this has been Bowyer's weakness. Knowing when to go for it, knowing when to shut up shop... And in both cases, HOW to do it!

While the constant clapping on the sidelines to spur the lads on might be a minor observation, to me, it means that we were all about effort and positivity without much thought process as to how to get a result.

Pick a style and a system, then balance the squad and pick the best players for that system.

Dont put square pegs in round holes trying to pick your best 11 players. Pick the best players for each position

I'd also consider the opposite just as good.

Find a system that suits the players and gets the best out of them.

Oh, and - when it's appropriate in a match - take the leash off!

Pick a style and a system, then balance the squad and pick the best players for that system.

Dont put square pegs in round holes trying to pick your best 11 players. Pick the best players for each position

I'd do exactly the opposite. Weigh up what we've got. Sort out the winners from the losers. The real players from the show ponies. Then put them in a system that suits their collective strengths.

Bring in a top conditioner ( maybe from Rugby League ) and get them really fit.

This.

Plus no favourites and no random dropping players to keep everyone happy.

Oh and sell Brown.

Archived