BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Piggies Xmas Relegation Party

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is where the mentality of some football supporters lets the sport down.

Yes, a minority of Bolton Wanderers fans are idiots, but that's only the same as us and any other club, (I've been to the away game for the last few years and it's been an outing for our idiots).

We all know it's not our main derby match, but they are still local rivals and I know from experience dating back to the early 80's that the matches have a bit of spice.

We should look at this and count our blessings as it could so easily have been us.

It's also reported that Phil Gartside is "gravely ill" so that's an even sadder twist to the story.

I wish him well.

Does it? In my opinion animosity for the opposition is an integral part of the passion which is the lifeblood of football and is what distinguishes it from every other sport in this country. Football fans are often compared unfavourably with rugby fans, well that may be true but I don't see how it translates to "letting the sport down" when their numbers, in terms of attendances and watching it on TV, vastly outnumber rugby fans and fans of every other sport (probably combined). Tribalism in football is increasingly under attack, maybe rightly so, but if its removed completely then so will the songs, the noise, the current attendance levels and a sizeable chunk of TV viewers.

And I honestly just outright don't agree with the argument that every club has the same minority of idiots. Every club does have a minority of idiots, but I can guarantee you Millwall's is percentage wise vastly bigger than say Fulham's, and I'm pretty sure Bolton's, and Burnley's for that matter, are a fair bit bigger than ours.

Just watch they'll be taken over just before they play us with the promise of spending and a wave of uphoria will sweep over the Macaroon. Can see it coming along with the annual defeat :(

There are rumours of a UAE consortium showing interest. It's a bit reminiscent of when Taksin Franksinatra pulled out of Citeh and it looked as though they could go to the wall. The next news was that the Sheikhs were in and the rest is history.

There are rumours of a UAE consortium showing interest. It's a bit reminiscent of when Taksin Franksinatra pulled out of Citeh and it looked as though they could go to the wall. The next news was that the Sheikhs were in and the rest is history.

Don't say that :o Maybe we could turn up and rain on their parade then.

Bit of a difference in situations. City were already established in the Premier League with a 48,000 stadium and average gates of 40,000+ even when struggling. Everything was in place to take them on to another level and compete with the big boys in a short period of time with massive spending on new players. The potential as a city club was there to compete.

Bolton are miles away from the position City that were in when Shinawatra sold up. They are a town club like ourselves, but bottom of the Championship, favourites for relegation to the third division, and even when in the top flight struggled to get much more than 20-25,000 a week. Even if they somehow manage to stay up this season it will require a significant outlay to get them into shape for promotion and survival in the Premier League.

Any Arabs with serious cash and plans along the lines of what happened at City would surely be looking at available clubs like Villa, Newcastle, Everton or West Brom. Even Wolves are on the market at the moment and a far better investment than Bolton at this moment in time with greater potential.

Bolton seem to be attractive because of the land they possess. The training ground at Euxton is worth a bob or two and the land at Middlebrook could easily be developed into retail/leisure/office use fairly cheaply like the surrounding area has. Suddenly its worth a lot of money right by the M61. From a football point of view I can't see any reason to get involved in a club like Bolton in its current state.

• Moderation Lead

Can't really share the vitriol I have some good friends who support Bolton.

There but for the grace of God go I.

http://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/article/club-statement-2845297.aspx

As do I. That being said, the way they've gone on about us during our plight makes me lack sympathy for a lot of them.

I'd never wish for any club to disappear (except MK Dons and any other franchise club).

Local clubs and rivalries are a central and historical of following football.

That being said I certainly won't be disappointed if Bolton drop down the leagues and stay there for years to come, as I'm sure most Bolton supporters would enjoy the same happening to us. Good times and bad times are part of the game.

Given that the major debtor has said he's willing to write off the debt, maybe the takeover parties are welcoming administration as a way of clearing the debt owed to others before they step in and take over. Given their points tally they'll be struggling to stay up this season anyway, so the points deduction may become irrelevant.

I hope they don't go to the wall, despite playing them being a derby for them, and a local game for us. Have seen a few post match punches thrown outside the ground by the trotters.

Above all though, still have that feeling of it still could be us.

Disgraceful how the fans are having to have whip rounds to pay the everyday staff at Wanderers when the directors are millionaires, probably having sucked a lot out of the club. The owners are multi multi millionaires and a lot of the players will be very well off indeed yet no one will stick their hand in their pocket to pay those who need it most.

tossers!

No end in sight for them. There is a fear that some players will walk away from their contracts if they don't get paid. I guess the vultures will be circling soon.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/14142098.Lennon__From_what_I_gather_players_and_staff_at_Wanderers_will_not_be_paid_this_month/?ref=mr&lp=1

Archived