BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fulham At Home

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the chanting was limited to "Cairney, what's the score?" then that's surely just a light hearted jab. If he was booed every time he touched the ball that's another story.

I agree the chants are just banter, but I did hear some boos too and that I thought was unwarranted

It's important to remember that Brown is 31 years old, injury prone, and before tonight looked worse than a poor man's Kuqi. If Brown & Rovers can maintain this kind of momentum, there might be an argument for giving him a one year extension on his contract, but I find it hard to believe we couldn't find a better battering ram for our money.

A lot is made of the pressing game and last night (and at Oxford and Middlesbrough) we did it really well but I think some of the less intelligent on here don't understand the concept behind it. Last night Brown and Graham did it from the front, quite often without making a challenge but by denying the opposition time and space and often forcing them to go back. Do decry their performance last night shows a real lack of football knowledge. Incredible that a really good performance and game plan (perfectly executed) brings out silly comments. I'm sure that some would like us to play badly and lose to justify their embittered opinions.

How exactly are you supposed to tell if its "banter" or malice? Not the loudest chant from the DE while not the loudest thing they chanted it was loud enough.

The point anyway was that other players have deserved boos/chants more whether it be "banter" or outright rage. Also noticed they waited virtually until the end.

• Moderation Lead

How exactly are you supposed to tell if its "banter" or malice? Not the loudest chant from the DE while not the loudest thing they chanted it was loud enough.

The point anyway was that other players have deserved boos/chants more whether it be "banter" or outright rage. Also noticed they waited virtually until the end.

By the content I'd imagine Vinjay. I.E- Cairney you're a **** would be malice, querying the score is obviously light-hearted.

A really good win , achieved by a powerful pressing approach mixed with a bit of lawful physical " intimidation" . It was great to see a Rovers team boss the game from minute one to minute ninety. We've been crying out for this type of dominant performance for years and hopefully there'll be more to come once Lambert gets more of his types of players at the club. I watched Tom Cairney with interest last night and his performance summed up the Gary Bowyer era . When the tough get going Tom was nowhere to be seen. I'm glad Rovers didn't splash out £3million on him .

Finally it always annoys me when another club copies our unique shirt design and puts their own colours and badge on it. A message to all the clubs that are tempted to do the same " keep your badge and colours off our shirt ( design ) , its been ours since 1875 "

If you want to copy a shirt , do what that lot did down the M65 and copy Aston Villa's

By the content I'd imagine Vinjay. I.E- Cairney you're a **** would be malice, querying the score is obviously light-hearted.

We sang the same to Mark Hughes last year, no malice at all in my opinion.

A lot is made of the pressing game and last night (and at Oxford and Middlesbrough) we did it really well but I think some of the less intelligent on here don't understand the concept behind it. Last night Brown and Graham did it from the front, quite often without making a challenge but by denying the opposition time and space and often forcing them to go back. Do decry their performance last night shows a real lack of football knowledge. Incredible that a really good performance and game plan (perfectly executed) brings out silly comments. I'm sure that some would like us to play badly and lose to justify their embittered opinions.

Some great examples in the sky highlights, 1min 55 and 2mins 35 or so.. both occasions the forwards hassled Fulhams defense into making mistakes that led to chances. The second one was especially good as Bennett looked ready to pounce and did with a nice bit of pace, skill and strength.

Got to admit the formation and lineup yesterday worried the hell out of me when I saw it.. But looks like PL saw a weakness in the strength of their midfield and defense and exploited it, was nice to see a bit of versatility in the squad, if it was not for the losing the three key players on Sat I think we would of put in one hell of a better performance.

Personally think Watt is going to be in more than Brown, just depends on the opposition. Bennett actually looked really good in that more central role, from his matches to date he has not looked at all quick or sharp was a considerable difference last night.

• Backroom

I agree the chants are just banter, but I did hear some boos too and that I thought was unwarranted

If there were boos then I agree that is uncalled for. The lad did his best for us whilst he was here, and by all accounts was basically shoved out of the door as soon as an offer came in.

You couldn't fault Brown's effort tonight but he is still a very poor player there's no getting away from it. In fact both front men were guilty of not attacking the ball when when some excellent balls came across the box second half. That didn't matter on the night because Bennett had got us on the way by earning a penalty and Duffy finally scored after missing something like 29 previous attempts from similar positions. It's what we've been missing for the last 3 and a half years both with and without Rhodes, the rest of the side putting in a shift and a couple contributing in terms of getting on the scoresheet.

Along with 98% of the few of us that were there last night, I thought Brown and Graham played well and couldn't have given any more.

Any comments along the lines of 'Brown was rubbish' etc must be posted purely for a reaction, and I suppose we reacted. Brown showed the qualities that various managers have been promising for years.

I can, however, see Rev's point that both strikers could have been sharper in front of goal, but I also agree that these comments would be more appropriate for deeper analysis of the game once we had stopped bouncing with delight after our best performance of the season. I honestly enjoyed every minute of it.

Someone said earlier that we started slowly but I thought we were on it from the 1st whistle, it just took us 10 minutes to extinguish Fulham's early promise and confidence following their win at QPR.

So, to the much heralded front two. I thought they combined relatively well for a new partnership, although they will need to be 5 yards nearer to each other to create even more for each other.

Their workrate was as good as any front two I can remember.

They caused panic, confusion, and indecision across Fulham's back line (and midfield!).

Both of them could have timed their movement towards crosses better, and certainly improved their all round finishing.

Brown didn't have any chances to miss which was surprising considering our periods of dominance.

Graham did squander his easier opportunities, although I am sure this will improve as his fitness and confidence return.

I predict this is the peak of Brown's ability so hats off to Lambert for enabling this improvement.

Graham, on the other hand, will further improve and score at least one goal every 3 or 4 games, hopefully more.

All the above is mere detail within what was a complete team performance and all 11 starters could be analysed and constructively criticised.

I remain concerned that when Lambert is unable to pick what he deems is his first eleven for any given fixture, we will struggle so we need, as always, to keep a sense of perspective whilst PL completes the rebuilding, which I admit has been dicficult over the last 4 months.

I can't remember leaving the ground with such a feeling of all round satisfaction for a long, long time.

I thoroughly enjoyed last night. There was more urgency, desire and intent in that 90 minutes than I have seen in a long while. I watched Lambert on the touchline on a number of occasions and he was constantly giving instructions to press and restrict their movement.

I thought Brown and Graham were both great, neither gave the two centre halves a moments peace and forced them into countless misplaced passes and surrendering of possession, it was so refreshing to see us defend from the front and also having centre forwards who are comfortable backing into defenders. Gomez was excellent, the ball just sticks to him like glue. Bennett worked tirelessly and caused real menace working the inside channel of the full back. Lenihan and Evans both really impressed me, they were so industrious, both winning countless tackles and buzzing around the midfield, harrying and hassling Cairney and O'Hara off the ball. Our midfield looked so mobile, it was hard to believe it was a rovers team on some of the laboured performances we've seen in the past. Marshall was superb at right back and whatever Lambert says about needing him further up the pitch I'm convinced RB is his best position. Hanley and Duffy were solid and barely put a foot wrong. The only very minor negatives were Steele's kicking which is atrocious and there were a number of times Gomez looked to play the ball inside the right back for an overlapping Spurr but he didn't have the legs to make the run.

I thoroughly enjoyed last night. There was more urgency, desire and intent in that 90 minutes than I have seen in a long while. I watched Lambert on the touchline on a number of occasions and he was constantly giving instructions to press and restrict their movement.

I thought Brown and Graham were both great, neither gave the two centre halves a moments peace and forced them into countless misplaced passes and surrendering of possession, it was so refreshing to see us defend from the front and also having centre forwards who are comfortable backing into defenders. Gomez was excellent, the ball just sticks to him like glue. Bennett worked tirelessly and caused real menace working the inside channel of the full back. Lenihan and Evans both really impressed me, they were so industrious, both winning countless tackles and buzzing around the midfield, harrying and hassling Cairney and O'Hara off the ball. Our midfield looked so mobile, it was hard to believe it was a rovers team on some of the laboured performances we've seen in the past. Marshall was superb at right back and whatever Lambert says about needing him further up the pitch I'm convinced RB is his best position. Hanley and Duffy were solid and barely put a foot wrong. The only very minor negatives were Steele's kicking which is atrocious and there were a number of times Gomez looked to play the ball inside the right back for an overlapping Spurr but he didn't have the legs to make the run.

Good analysis.

One of Lambert's main objectives is to turn our inconsistently brilliant players such as Marshall and Conway, into solid, reliable, consistently effective winners.

If he can do that, we will be in the top six next season.

You can tell the players are slowly getting the required fitness levels now under PL. The effort and constant pressing was pretty impressive last night. The front two ran themselves into the ground and where both blowing hard towards the end, especially brown who really grafted. Its clear brown lacks much ability, but he certainly offers more than people give him credit for. Although the addition of Gomez has given us a bit more guile in midfield, we still lack the ability to pass our way around and through teams. As a result the long ball is going to be used more than we'd really prefer and with that in mind, brown really gives us a chance of a flick on, or more importantly with his weight he jumps into the centre half making it hard for him to get a clean header which gives us good chances to win the second ball and get forward. Especially with the midfield pressing as they did last night. Evans had a great game and that was by far leinhans best game in the 1st team. Bennet had looked quite lost until now playing wide, but the slightly more central role seemed to suit him a lot better to and he to had his best game in a rovers shirt.

Real pity we had to let olsson go as this diamond formation is really suited to attacking full backs due to the acres of space out wide. marshall is having a field day in this setup. Spurr is willing and trying, but he lacks the pace of olsson to cause some damage. If this is formation PL see's long term, then we really need a new left back for me.

It shows how little it takes sometimes for fans to get back excited. Most St holders near me said they were not going to the West Ham game before kick off, but by 90mins they where all saying they were getting a ticket now. really hope we can get on a little run now

One of the most impressive moments to me in last night game on about 75 minutes, Lenihan was upfield and out of position after attacking when the ball went behind for a goal kick, he then turned and sprinted at full tilt just to get back into position and retain shape. That is the Lambert effect in a nutshell.

It's important to remember that Brown is 31 years old, injury prone, and before tonight looked worse than a poor man's Kuqi. If Brown & Rovers can maintain this kind of momentum, there might be an argument for giving him a one year extension on his contract, but I find it hard to believe we couldn't find a better battering ram for our money.

Agreed, but surely if last nights display didn't highlight how important a work ethic throughout the entire team is, then nothing will. It's the foundation for success. Start with that, then add the quality as you go along. Every manager should know that.

Last night was the first time that showed me how Lambert wants us to play. He's talked all along about the high tempo pressing game, but all I've seen is long ball pub football - until last night. That's what I was hoping he wanted - a high tempo passing game, where we pressurised the opposition all over the park and for the full 90 mins. I actually thought we were working harder in the last ten minutes than we were in the first ten.

So, great stuff. That's the starting point, now to add more quality.

You can tell the players are slowly getting the required fitness levels now under PL. The effort and constant pressing was pretty impressive last night. The front two ran themselves into the ground and where both blowing hard towards the end, especially brown who really grafted. Its clear brown lacks much ability, but he certainly offers more than people give him credit for. Although the addition of Gomez has given us a bit more guile in midfield, we still lack the ability to pass our way around and through teams. As a result the long ball is going to be used more than we'd really prefer and with that in mind, brown really gives us a chance of a flick on, or more importantly with his weight he jumps into the centre half making it hard for him to get a clean header which gives us good chances to win the second ball and get forward. Especially with the midfield pressing as they did last night. Evans had a great game and that was by far leinhans best game in the 1st team. Bennet had looked quite lost until now playing wide, but the slightly more central role seemed to suit him a lot better to and he to had his best game in a rovers shirt.

Real pity we had to let olsson go as this diamond formation is really suited to attacking full backs due to the acres of space out wide. marshall is having a field day in this setup. Spurr is willing and trying, but he lacks the pace of olsson to cause some damage. If this is formation PL see's long term, then we really need a new left back for me.

It shows how little it takes sometimes for fans to get back excited. Most St holders near me said they were not going to the West Ham game before kick off, but by 90mins they where all saying they were getting a ticket now. really hope we can get on a little run now

I love the long ball. It can be a very effective and exciting tactic if you have the players who can adapt to it. I'd much rather see a well directed long ball, flicked on by a physical centre forward to a fast mobile inside forward , with the potential to trouble a defense., rather than twenty cross field passes, back and forward ending up where we started from . The trouble with tika taka football is you need the likes of Messi to make it exciting .

Hugely important win if you look at the table- what were niggling doubts and worries would have become full on paranoia had we not won.

Winning handsomely is an enormous bonus which should surge enthusiasm through the squad and supporters.

I will echo what is being said about the players getting towards Lambert levels of fitness- no doubt the late goals showed the benefit of the regime. Perhaps players were selected on the basis of who is closest to the level required?

What is really encouraging is that a WTF team selection turned into such a resounding success. Kenny had the same ability to put a mind bendingly peculiar selection onto the park and produce an extremely comfortable win.

Yes the players are limited in their ability and woefully short of Premier League level of capability but even Premier League players cannot play to their potential if they have Chris Brown in their face for 90+ minutes. Roll on West Ham!

My ratings

Steele - 6 - Kicking still poor, but did make one stunning save towards the end to ensure the clean sheet

Marshall - 8 - Right back IS his best position. Like Emerton before him, benefits from having everything in front of him. Tenacious in the tackle, out-muscled Kacaniklic, O'Hara and Cairney impressively and consistently.

Duffy - 7 - Rarely troubled, finally scored a header!

Hanley - 7 - Good to have him back, comfortable evening, could have played with a cigar in his mouth!

Spurr - 7 - Grew into the game, a lot expected of him going forward, some nice linkups with Gomez, tired in the second half but a solid game.

Lenihan - 7 - Understated performance from the young man, fearless in the tackle, a real ankle biter. Still raw in possession, but a welcome addition to the team/squad

Bennett - 8 - Best game in a Rovers shirt, covered every blade of grass! Two great balls in for Duffy and Graham, more of the same please!

Evans - 8 - Was majestic breaking things up in the second half. Two good games in a row from him.

Gomez - 7 - Some nice touches, drifted in and out, needs players to be on his wave length. Class act, more to come!

Brown - 8 - If he works as hard as that every week, he'll win over the fans. Jeers to cheers at the end, needs a goal to get the 'monkey' off his back!

Graham - 8 - Like Brown, tireless performance, earned his luck with the goal. Everything about his game was opposite of a Rhodes performance, held the ball up well, ran himself ragged, put the defence under pressure, a slightly reckless challenge in the second half, missed a great chance to make it 3-0 minutes before he eventually did.

I thought we'd get hammered, but I will admittedly stand corrected! The team put in a real workman's like performance, constantly getting the face of Fulham's players. Brown and Graham did very well up front, making life difficult for Fulham's back 4. I've no doubt, after being a laughing stock at the start, Brown could become something of a cult hero, for all the effort he puts in.

On another positive, the midfield is looking like something from Hughes' days. It's years since I've seen our midfielders properly stick a tackle in on someone. Good on them last night though.. They properly launched into some of Fulham's players last night and got the ball back.

Excellent performance... Bring on the Hammers!

One of the most impressive moments to me in last night game on about 75 minutes, Lenihan was upfield and out of position after attacking when the ball went behind for a goal kick, he then turned and sprinted at full tilt just to get back into position and retain shape. That is the Lambert effect in a nutshell.

How often did our players used to amble back without a care in the world? Great to hear.

My ratings

Steele - 6 - Kicking still poor, but did make one stunning save towards the end to ensure the clean sheet

Marshall - 8 - Right back IS his best position. Like Emerton before him, benefits from having everything in front of him. Tenacious in the tackle, out-muscled Kacaniklic, O'Hara and Cairney impressively and consistently.

Duffy - 7 - Rarely troubled, finally scored a header!

Hanley - 7 - Good to have him back, comfortable evening, could have played with a cigar in his mouth!

Spurr - 7 - Grew into the game, a lot expected of him going forward, some nice linkups with Gomez, tired in the second half but a solid game.

Lenihan - 7 - Understated performance from the young man, fearless in the tackle, a real ankle biter. Still raw in possession, but a welcome addition to the team/squad

Bennett - 8 - Best game in a Rovers shirt, covered every blade of grass! Two great balls in for Duffy and Graham, more of the same please!

Evans - 8 - Was majestic breaking things up in the second half. Two good games in a row from him.

Gomez - 7 - Some nice touches, drifted in and out, needs players to be on his wave length. Class act, more to come!

Brown - 8 - If he works as hard as that every week, he'll win over the fans. Jeers to cheers at the end, needs a goal to get the 'monkey' off his back!

Graham - 8 - Like Brown, tireless performance, earned his luck with the goal. Everything about his game was opposite of a Rhodes performance, held the ball up well, ran himself ragged, put the defence under pressure, a slightly reckless challenge in the second half, missed a great chance to make it 3-0 minutes before he eventually did.

Graham's booking was directly in front of me and he was a little bit unlucky to be honest, he slipped as much as tackled him. It was a result of charging over like a man possessed and losing his footing when he tried to pull up as the ball was played.

Has Lenihan been given a new contract yet it sounds as though he should be rewarded for his effort's.

I am sure I read Paul Wheelcock mention last week that a contract offer is on the table and Lenihan will sign, it's just a matter of time.

Archived