BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fulham At Home

We were much better last night but that was a very supine performance from Fulham. There's something about London clubs and winter night matches in the north - they just don't fancy it at all.

So did we win because we were very good or because Fulham were awful? Probably a bit of both but there's a long way to go yet before we can say we have turned the corner.

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree about Steele being frustrating. I've made my feeling about him being number 1 quite clear on here, just don't think the lad is a promotion standard keeper and whilst promotion may not be the target right now, every team should be trying to bring in players with that in mind. would be looking in the summer personally.

• Moderation Lead

And how much were they awful because we didn't let them be better?

That was how I saw it gumboots. From the first minute we never let them settle or get into a rhythm. McCormack got booked in frustration and was fuming for the rest of the game.

One of the most impressive moments to me in last night game on about 75 minutes, Lenihan was upfield and out of position after attacking when the ball went behind for a goal kick, he then turned and sprinted at full tilt just to get back into position and retain shape. That is the Lambert effect in a nutshell.

Must say I am really liking what I am seeing from lenihan - has a lot of potential in my view; has real power and has the right idea in terms of forward thinking but just needs to work a little on execution

I was impressed last night, thought he played with real power, he put in some really meaty challenges and his hunger for the ball was excellent. He made a few wayward passes early on when he seemed to be trying to force an opening, hopefully his pass selection and composure with the ball/confidence picking passes improves over time. He's got a fairly good teacher in Lambert though so I'm sure he will be fine............

Without a win in nine league games and only three goals in that time, so a cosy 3-0 win was always on the cards, right? A tactical tweak from Lambert for this game with the composition in the midfield a defined 2-2 (a box or a square midfield if you like) rather than the 3-1 we've been playing most recently or a more conventional flat four. So a 4-2-2-2 formation which would have been woefully narrow if we lost but we won so it was a streamlined masterstroke up against Fulham's 3-5-2 which effectively meant we outnumbered them four against three in central areas. It was a torturous return for one of Fulham's central three, Tom Cairney, who was unceremoniously dumped onto his backside on a number occasions. He did show a few glimpses of class to remind of us why he was our 2013-14 Player of the Season but overall his lack of impact on the game maybe showed why Rovers weren't very reluctant to turn down an offer for him when it came in the summer.

I can sense that Chris Brown is slowly becoming something of an unlikely cult hero, less for his footballing ability more for his sheer work effort. He still doesn't look like scoring, I'm becoming increasingly convinced that maybe he doesn't want the glory. He seems happy enough charging up and down the pitch chasing the ball, scaring opposition players and lunging into tackles. I know they keep a track of distance covered for each player, he surely must have topped that list. In fairness both the strikers covered a great deal of distance. Fulham persisted with playing out from the back but the intensity of the closing down from the front was admirably. I think last night we saw at home for the first time effectively the type of high-pressing football that Lambert has been trying to install since he took over. It was a great collective effort. Evans for me when in form, which he has been recently, is a phenomenal holding midfielder at this level. He senses the dangers, snuffs out attacks, regains possession and moves the ball on quickly.

Marshall was given the man of the match award, despite a number of other good performances, it was difficult to disagree with that. Being played at right-back seems to have reinvigorated him. He carries a good attacking threat from right-back, so much so that he's now won a number of penalties getting into the box from that position. Maybe it takes a few yards for him to get up to speed? and as such the extra space to run into playing from full-back may work to his advantage. I wondered whether the signing of Ward may mean that he would be preferred over Duffy. But there doesn't look to be any sign of that. I know Hanley and Duffy come in for a lot of criticism on here sometimes but they really have been one of the shining lights for me this season. They are totally unrecognisable from the partnership last season where they looked to be on a total different wavelength. Now they are starting to look like a really strong centreback pairing. Hanley's defending has been majestic at times this season. Duffy has always won a lot in the air and if he can manage to get a few more on target, like last night's, I see no reason why he shouldn't be scoring a lot more goals over the course of the season.

Undoubtedly that was the best we've seen Rovers play at Ewood since Lambert took over and probably the best since the back-to-back home wins over Charlton and Ipswich. If you are feeling cynical you could say that Fulham are probably the worst side we've played down here since Charlton, I was honestly surprised at just how bad Fulham were, they do have some quality in the side but not much of that was on show last night. No doubting that three points make things look a lot better, we are by no means totally out of danger just yet. But eight points clear with a game in hand and three promising performances out of the last four definitely makes things look a whole lot more rosy. I now look forward to the cup tie against West Ham.

First time I had seen us in our current form since new additions and departures and was a little unsure of what to expect other than similarly poor displays that have been witnessed countless times before.

We were excellent last night and I left with real hope for the future.

Its certainly going to take a little time for Lambert to get things as he wants them so we really have to stick by him and the team he is putting together while things take shape...

Fulham were terrible and their fans will be rightly annoyed at such a poor display with the position they are also in, we weren't troubled by them at all and perhaps this gave us the room to build some much needed confidence to go on and perform/win as we did?

Loved how the whole team chased the ball down, forced countless errors from the opposition and won the ball back quickly when we didn't have possession which was brilliant to see and something lacking massively from our recent approach to games.

It was one of the coldest nights on the Blackburn End that I have experienced but thank the lord we won and performed as we did because it made bearing the cold worthwhile...

Confident penalty from Marshall, Duffy scored with his head and Graham off the mark, all good news!

Was willing the ball into the net every time Brown was near it, he had a decent game for me and was one of many man of the match contenders...

Well done Lambert, well done to the team and well done to those freezing their taters off like me!

Onwards...

Graham's booking was directly in front of me and he was a little bit unlucky to be honest, he slipped as much as tackled him. It was a result of charging over like a man possessed and losing his footing when he tried to pull up as the ball was played.

I am sure I read Paul Wheelcock mention last week that a contract offer is on the table and Lenihan will sign, it's just a matter of time.

Thank you, Steve Kean LOL

I think Lenihan's a work in progress and Lambert will prefer a more experienced player alongside Gomez and Evans.

If he sticks with Lenihan til the end of the season, the lad will benefit enormously from the experience.

He is worth a new contract but depends who PL has his eye on.

Seems to me Lambert's taken a shine to the lad. Clearly sees something in him he wants to nurture.

Well I don't agree that Fulham were bad. I thought they carried on where they left off against QPR. Cairney, McCormack, Dembele, O'Hara and Kacaniclic are good and dangerous players.

They didn't expect Rovers to play such "in-your-face" football and because of Rovers' persistence Fulham became frustrated.

They battled to the end but were outfought.

Fabulous display from us. Special mention to Evans, Marshall and Lenihan.

Gomez's backheel in the first half should make it onto Showboat at the weekend on Soccer AM! Great performance from every single player, Graham and Brown were fantastic and closed everything down, and 110% fort from everyone. Can't ask for any more

I agree there GSR. we need to get Lenihan tied down to a new contract asap

What we need is players to buy into the new management team and believe in what they are doing, they should then be asking the club to prepare a new contract so they sign it ASAP. The have to believe this is the best place to be.

Great result and by all accounts, a vastly improved performance.

Seems like Graham and Brown caused Fulham defence merry hell.

Sick of the Rhodes love-in from some - fact is that the aggression and offensive movement now being shown will result in more domination, more chances, more goals and more points.

Oxford, M'boro and Fulham are evidence, IMV, that a plan and way of playing is starting to emerge/work. I'll accept Hull as an aberration and that will happen from time to time (don't forget we lost 3 key players at the death).

It was never going to be easy but in Lambert we trust.

In no way did Graham and Brown cause Fulham hell let's put the record straight for the few dreamers that may beg to differ - Fulham where very poor nowhere near as good as Hull.

Archived