BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Article -> New Rovers Manager

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

I don't claim to be ITK or anything about Rovers as I usually know as much as the rest of us.

However, my Dad played golf the other day with Ronnie Jepson (been assistant to Warnock on a few occasions) at a charity do. Was saying him and Warnock were pretty much signed and sealed for Rovers, but then Venky's got wind Owen Coyle would do the job a lot cheaper so he was appointed....

I don't claim to be ITK or anything about Rovers as I usually know as much as the rest of us.

However, my Dad played golf the other day with Ronnie Jepson (been assistant to Warnock on a few occasions) at a charity do. Was saying him and Warnock were pretty much signed and sealed for Rovers, but then Venky's got wind Owen Coyle would do the job a lot cheaper so he was appointed....

How much is Coyle on ?

Sickening if true.

There's also the Irvine/Kelly factor to consider. There's no chance Warnock would have worked with someone else's staff, so Irvine and Kelly would have had to go and Blackwell and Jepson would have been brought in.

They clearly were very keen to keep Irvine and Kelly, so I don't get why they would go after Warnock for 12 months who would want all his own men in place.

I don't understand why Rovers would have gone for Warnock or why Warnock would have come here. Warnock's too high maintenance, too much of his own man, and would demand too much. Far better for them recruiting Coyle who will do as he's told.

Sickening if true.

There's also the Irvine/Kelly factor to consider. There's no chance Warnock would have worked with someone else's staff, so Irvine and Kelly would have had to go and Blackwell and Jepson would have been brought in.

They clearly were very keen to keep Irvine and Kelly, so I don't get why they would go after Warnock for 12 months who would want all his own men in place.

I don't understand why Rovers would have gone for Warnock or why Warnock would have come here. Warnock's too high maintenance, too much of his own man, and would demand too much. Far better for them recruiting Coyle who will do as he's told.

I think they wanted some stability and therefore decided to continue With Irvine / Kelly. As you said they would have to remove them to bring in Warnock backroom staff.

Also I dont think a 12 month contract was very interesting for Venkys. I know People will say that they will get rid of any manager in a short period of time. However we have seen that they will stick With a manager for a long time as well.

Heard Mrs D is a big MSL fan with her finger on the pulse of American soccer, so wee gem 2 suddenly getting homesick would have been a nice surprise for her, what a coincidence eh, just imagine how disappointed she would have been if the appointment of Warnock had not been delayed

I think they wanted some stability and therefore decided to continue With Irvine / Kelly. As you said they would have to remove them to bring in Warnock backroom staff.

Also I dont think a 12 month contract was very interesting for Venkys. I know People will say that they will get rid of any manager in a short period of time. However we have seen that they will stick With a manager for a long time as well.

Bowyer and his staff were on 12 month rolling contracts. Maybe Irvine and co are as well and they'll roll when their 12b months is up to avoid big payout costs now.

We were told PL was on a 2.5 yr deal then lo and behold it turns out it's a 6 month try us out before another 2 years deal. No reason to think Coyle is on anything different.

I think Warnock wanted the job but with his coaching staff in place. But Rovers want to keep 2 very good coaches at the club.

I aint a fan of Warnock but I was worried about his comment that he just wanted another 12 months in management.

Maybe Irvine and co are as well and they'll roll when their 12b months is up to avoid big payout costs now.

I believe that Irvine and Kelly signed 2 and half years contracts

I think Warnock wanted the job but with his coaching staff in place. But Rovers want to keep 2 very good coaches at the club.

I aint a fan of Warnock but I was worried about his comment that he just wanted another 12 months in management.

We believed Lambert did as well. I wouldn't actually believe a word that comes out these days anymore. If Coyle stays they'll be gone before the end of the season IMO.

I wouldn't have worried about 'only' 12 months from Warnock. Chances are he wouldn't have lasted that long anyway, and the chances are Coyle won't last that long, just like Allardyce didn't and Lambert didn't. Nobody with success elsewhere will last at this club. Kean lasted because he was in it for non-footballing reasons and clung to the job like a parasite. Bowyer lasted because prior to being the last man standing and getting the job here he was a virtual unknown who had never managed before. I loved Bowyer but realistically he was never going to get a bigger or better job than Rovers and that's why he put up with it, but even he was rumoured to be trying to get jobs elsewhere (Sheff Utd in Lge 1 and Leeds under Cellino spring to mind).

The experienced managers who can fall back on other jobs on their CVs - Allardyce, Lambert, Warnock, Coyle - won't last more than a year under this regime - because they know it can't work, it won't work and at best will give it a season to keep their name in the media and earn some spending money before they either find another club, walk away or get themselves fired out of frustration.

• Backroom

I'd believe that. There were numerous people saying that Warnock was telling anybody who would listen he had been offered the Rovers job. Then suddenly Coyle becomes available and the deal's off. I wouldn't be surprised if next time they just decide to let the players manage themselves. Maybe I shouldn't give them ideas.

What a backwards way to run a football club. Sacrifice the best man for the job because you've got two assisting members of staff he may not want.

Depends if you believe he is the best man for the job. Opinions

I think it's general opinion, even amongst those that are supporting him, that Coyle wasn't the best man for the job isn't it?

What is the point of owning a professional football club 4 Thousand miles away thats loosing you pot loads of money and is being run like a corner shop, with no ambition to be successful.

What are we missing here?

What is the point of owning a professional football club 4 Thousand miles away thats loosing you pot loads of money and is being run like a corner shop, with no ambition to be successful.

A connection with other people or persons unknown

Investments...but not as we know it !

What an utterly horrendous thought. At any other club that would be astonishing but not here. Nothing learned in 5, miserable, expensive years. Spend £100m pursuing relegations but a couple of million - including promotion bonus, if negotiated correctly - too much.

Wonder who managed to get hold of them to tell them he was cheaper?

Hope they don't get phone calls about a couple of cheap ex-SEM clients who are cheaper than Stokes and Graham.

Warnock or Coyle.

Warnock or Coyle.

Warnock or Coyle.

Toughie.

Oh no, wait. The correct answer is "not Coyle".

Congrats, you've achieved the impossible.

Somehow, you've managed to make me hate Venkys even more than I already do.

What an utterly horrendous thought. At any other club that would be astonishing but not here. Nothing learned in 5, miserable, expensive years. Spend £100m pursuing relegations but a couple of million - including promotion bonus, if negotiated correctly - too much.

Wonder who managed to get hold of them to tell them he was cheaper?

Hope they don't get phone calls about a couple of cheap ex-SEM clients who are cheaper than Stokes and Graham.

Warnock or Coyle.

Warnock or Coyle.

Warnock or Coyle.

Toughie.

Oh no, wait. The correct answer is "not Coyle".

What an awful thing to swallow. If that is the truth, it just rubs more salt into my gangrenous,Venky wounds. Do you know what, it could easily be true!

Thanks. Coyle in the interview mentions a call from Ian (Silvester) and then meeting board members just after. If Cheston was away just which board members did he meet, who did the questioning and who sent the recommendation to the chicken farmers?

Once again things are shrouded in mystery.

Any Evertonians perhaps ?

I think it's general opinion, even amongst those that are supporting him, that Coyle wasn't the best man for the job isn't it?

I guess it depends on "the job."..

I just wish Venky's wanted the same things for Blackburn Rovers that the fans do. Clearly, the fans and the owners haven't had the same agenda, since they took over.

Archived