BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Norwich City

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Possibly one of the worst first 45's I've ever witnessed.

Followed by a much improved second half.

Once Greer came on we looked a lot steadier at the back.

Jack Byrne looks like a decent player on first showing, very busy and always wants the ball.

Stokes looks half decent, took his goal well, but would like to see him a few more times.

Henley is simply not good enough, he's worse at LB than RB and that's saying something, he cannot be allowed to play there again.

Marshall looked slightly more effective on the wing in the second half, and Feeney put a few decent crosses in.

Akpan was poor as was Lenihan.

Lowe and Duffy were ok.

Crowd wasn't as bad as I thought, almost as if we are aware that it will be a tough season.

Well done to all who attended, and try to erase the first half horror show from your memory!

Was expecting us to be poor, but didn't expect us to be quite so uncompetitive with it being first game of the season, thought we'd manage to put on a bit of a performance and at worst keep the game relatively tight.

On that display it's difficult to see any glimmer of hope for the rest of the season, the only two players we had left I rated were Rhodes and Hanley and imo there's not one player left who is a stand out performer or who is capable of providing a moment of magic or provide a flash of inspiration.

Henley was abysmal, Lowe wasn't far behind, Ward and Bennett, what atrocious signings by Lambert, the former lasting 15 mins before going off injured, Feeney looks as poor as Bennet and Graham looked the one paced injury prone plodder I expected when we signed him originally.

Long season doesn't even begin to describe it on the evidence of that display. At least Coyle didn't try to cover it up after the game and actually I thought gave an excellent interview in which he acknowledged .we weren't good enough and identified exactly where we went wrong, and that we need to improve and be ready to meet teams of the quality of Norwich every week. Unfortunately giving good "pressers" doesn't earn you points on the pitch any more than Lambert did by slagging off the owners at regular intervals. It's points and performances on the pitch that matter.

Wrong team selection, starting at RB. I know, i have a hatred for Lowe.

That statement really does show your hatred for Lowe - he was one of the few that could be not totally pi%^ed off with his performance. Henley and Akpan on the other hand - not seen such abject performances for a while. (BTW not saying Lowe was up to much - but definitely not the worst)

Listened to Coyle - he was honest in his assessment - and didn't hide behind the fact that Norwich are a good side, and on the day played well (partly because we let them).

Will Norwich define our season - probably not - but a very depressing way to start what could be yet another difficult season.

You'll only be concerned if we lose our next NINE? Some patience you have there.

He didn't say he'd actually be concerned he said 'more concerned'.

If we lose the next 9 then we'll be relegated before the end of October.

Was expecting us to be poor, but didn't expect us to be quite so uncompetitive with it being first game of the season, thought we'd manage to put on a bit of a performance and at worst keep the game relatively tight.

On that display it's difficult to see any glimmer of hope for the rest of the season, the only two players we had left I rated were Rhodes and Hanley and imo there's not one player left who is a stand out performer or who is capable of providing a moment of magic or provide a flash of inspiration.

Henley was abysmal, Lowe wasn't far behind, Ward and Bennett, what atrocious signings by Lambert, the former lasting 15 mins before going off injured, Feeney looks as poor as Bennet and Graham looked the one paced injury prone plodder I expected when we signed him originally.

Long season doesn't even begin to describe it on the evidence of that display. At least Coyle didn't try to cover it up after the game and actually I thought gave an excellent interview in which he acknowledged .we weren't good enough and identified exactly where we went wrong, and that we need to improve and be ready to meet teams of the quality of Norwich every week. Unfortunately giving good "pressers" doesn't earn you points on the pitch any more than Lambert did by slagging off the owners at regular intervals. It's points and performances on the pitch that matter.

Three months since he left and you have to get a couple of digs in at Lambert. Still Coyle knows what went wrong, he just isn't good enough to do anything about it.

That statement really does show your hatred for Lowe - he was one of the few that could be not totally pi%^ed off with his performance. Henley and Akpan on the other hand - not seen such abject performances for a while. (BTW not saying Lowe was up to much - but definitely not the worst)

Can't agree with your defence of Lowe at all, he might not have been quite as bad as Henley but that's about it. There was an occasion in the second half which summed him up for me, he was busy rollocking a team mate for no apparent reason then the ball came straight back to him and because he wasn't concentrating he allowed it to roll over his foot and out of play. Made himself look like a right tit and it summed us up really when your "captain" is performing like that.

Three months since he left and you have to get a couple of digs in at Lambert. Still Coyle knows what went wrong, he just isn't good enough to do anything about it.

Too right. Lambert left us with the majority of the squad he has now. As for Coyle, even if he can see what's going wrong he'll struggle to do much about it without substantial reinforcements, the existing players aren't good enough on that performance. And not just numbers they have to be better than what we've got.

What a great game at Chorley. 3-3 draw.

The place was rocking, nearly 2,000 on.

I stood next to two Rovers fans from Abbey Village who I last saw when I was sat next to them on the flights to and from CSKA Sofia; one said he goes to Ewood 2 or 3 times a season but the atmosphere and crack is far better at Chorley.

Another Rovers fan left under K**n but said he would be back as soon as the V's sod off.

Too right. Lambert left us with the majority of the squad he has now. As for Coyle, even if he can see what's going wrong he'll struggle to do much about it without substantial reinforcements, the existing players aren't good enough on that performance. And not just numbers they have to be better than what we've got.

I might be reading this wrong but are you saying you rate Coyle above Lambert?

Criticising Lambert and defending Coyle, after that shambles. Only on here. Nowt queer as folk.

I suggest you read my posts properly. Nowhere have I defended Coyle. I said it was no use giving good pressers without getting decent results. Although I do maintain Mourinho would struggle to get much out of the squad Lambert left us with.

Listened to Coyle - he was honest in his assessment - and didn't hide behind the fact that Norwich are a good side, and on the day played well (partly because we let them).

Will Norwich define our season - probably not - but a very depressing way to start what could be yet another difficult season.

Lowe was awful. He didn't captain the team in any way as well, apart from wear the armband. He shouldn't have been on the pitch.

I wish we still had Lambert. At least with him we looked organised, motivated and fit.

I might be reading this wrong but are you saying you rate Coyle above Lambert?

There seems to be a few fans who rate everyone above Lambert. It's as weird as the stick Big Sam used to get. Weirder really because I at least understood the style of play criticism if disagreeing with it.

All Lambert ever did is a slightly better job than Bowyer last season, despite losing his best player pretty much straight away and being given little/nothing of the money to replace him.

Can't agree with your defence of Lowe at all, he might not have been quite as bad as Henley but that's about it. There was an occasion in the second half which summed him up for me, he was busy rollocking a team mate for no apparent reason then the ball came straight back to him and because he wasn't concentrating he allowed it to roll over his foot and out of play. Made himself look like a right tit and it summed us up really when your "captain" is performing like that.

Totally agree and recall the incident.

IMV, not a Championship footballer never mind captain. League 2 or lower is his level.

Totally with you on this.

It was embarrassing when he did that.

To be fair David, ive never hidden my hatred for Lowe. This game apart, he is not a right back, and neither is Henley or Akpan any good which i agree with you. That is the worrying part, that the squad is already so lightweight, and yet Venkys couldn't give a damn.

Imo if Guthrie can stay fit, and back to the form he showed before, he is a much better player than Lennihan, Akpan, and Evans. People seem to have forgotten about Guthrie, but imo he can play a big part.

• Backroom

I suggest you read my posts properly. Nowhere have I defended Coyle. I said it was no use giving good pressers without getting decent results. Although I do maintain Mourinho would struggle to get much out of the squad Lambert left us with.

He was here for six months mate. He had one transfer window with no funds and sold Rhodes with the (broken) promise of being allowed to reinvest that cash in the summer.

If we're talking who's squad it was, well...

Steele - Bowyer

Lowe - Kean (introduced into the first team)

Ward - Lambert

Duffy - Bowyer

Henley - Kean (introduced to the first team)

Marshall - Bowyer

Akpan - Bowyer

Bennett - Lambert

Lenihan - Lambert (introduced to the first team)

Feeney - Coyle

Graham - Lambert

No mention of good old GB in your posts though, or Kean for that matter :huh: I appreciate that in six months, with one transfer window and no money, Lambert was supposed to create an entirely new squad... but still, the other two deserve a mention as well, don't you think? All of our subs (apparently not good enough for that awful first team) are GB and Coyle signings, by the way. Strange how they can't get into the team ahead of the awful players Lambert lumbered us with, isn't it?

Archived