BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Norwich City

No. Dou you rate the squad Lambert left us with though?

I believe Lambert would have got more out of that squad than Coyle is remotely capable of. That squad was pretty much cobbled together by Lambert in little time and had promises been kept it would have been improved significantly. Coyle is just happy to be a manager at this level to feed his gargantuan ego. He will not rock the boat because of that.

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today's performance was awful and probably one of the worst I've ever seen.

Defending truly shocking awful. No pressing from Midfielders and Wingers not helping full backs out enough.

At least Stokes has scored and wont be the next Chris Brown.

Tactics were wrong all day long

You said the other day we didn't need new signings and you were happy with the squad?

I said we need 3 or 4 more signings at least. so stop re writing history to suit you agenda

But it wasn't. Henley and Feeney starting suggests it is not our best line up. Henley's not even a League 1 quality player. I'd rather play @#/? Raya at left back. I'm dead serious.

Feeney did more the Bennett all game. Not a fan of Henley and don't think Hendrie will be good enough

Genuinely laughing. Enjoy Chaddy. Have a real good day.[/quoted]

No need for that.

exactly but certain posters will always have a go at me but not at other members of the forum who attend games AND are friends with them outside of work. Lets Bully Chaddy its so much fun.

We'll never unite because we told you years ago now this was a downhill spiral and instead of joining the protests you told us to get behind the lads and give the owners a chance.

Protests wont matter here because they have zero affect on them. sorry to see that BUT THATS THE TRUTH. They are in India and don't attend games. We cant touch them over there due to the contacts where they live. But FOR THE RECORD (AGAIN) I WANT VENKYS GONE AND us to have new owners like Seneca who I think are waiting for Venkys to leave and then they can buy the club.

You live in a bubble

More BS!!!

All part of the plan for Coyle to send a message to the owners that he needs funds to strengthen the squad...

Wasn't at the match but only positives were Stokes and Feeney? Sounded like Henley was a disgrace. It sounded as though he was at fault for each of their goals.

Long, hard season where the real fight is getting Venkys out of the club.

The Rovers squad need investment from the owners. They need to back the manager.

They are the biggest problem here

Today's performance was awful and probably one of the worst I've ever seen.

Defending truly shocking awful. No pressing from Midfielders and Wingers not helping full backs out enough.

At least Stokes has scored and wont be the next Chris Brown.

Tactics were wrong all day long

I said we need 3 or 4 more signings at least. so stop re writing history to suit you agenda

Feeney did more the Bennett all game. Not a fan of Henley and don't think Hendrie will be good enough

exactly but certain posters will always have a go at me but not at other members of the forum who attend games AND are friends with them outside of work. Lets Bully Chaddy its so much fun.

Protests wont matter here because they have zero affect on them. sorry to see that BUT THATS THE TRUTH. They are in India and don't attend games. We cant touch them over there due to the contacts where they live. But FOR THE RECORD (AGAIN) I WANT VENKYS GONE AND us to have new owners like Seneca who I think are waiting for Venkys to leave and then they can buy the club.

More BS!!!

The Rovers squad need investment from the owners. They need to back the manager.

They are the biggest problem here

Aside from the final sentence I think that's about your worst post to date.

Bullying? Please.

Chat @#/? get called out.

You were happy with the starting line up today so "stop re-writing history to suit your agenda".

Was expecting us to be poor, but didn't expect us to be quite so uncompetitive with it being first game of the season, thought we'd manage to put on a bit of a performance and at worst keep the game relatively tight.

On that display it's difficult to see any glimmer of hope for the rest of the season, the only two players we had left I rated were Rhodes and Hanley and imo there's not one player left who is a stand out performer or who is capable of providing a moment of magic or provide a flash of inspiration.

Henley was abysmal, Lowe wasn't far behind, Ward and Bennett, what atrocious signings by Lambert, the former lasting 15 mins before going off injured, Feeney looks as poor as Bennet and Graham looked the one paced injury prone plodder I expected when we signed him originally.

Long season doesn't even begin to describe it on the evidence of that display. At least Coyle didn't try to cover it up after the game and actually I thought gave an excellent interview in which he acknowledged .we weren't good enough and identified exactly where we went wrong, and that we need to improve and be ready to meet teams of the quality of Norwich every week. Unfortunately giving good "pressers" doesn't earn you points on the pitch any more than Lambert did by slagging off the owners at regular intervals. It's points and performances on the pitch that matter.

What about Akpan, signed by your mate Bowyer? He's the worst of the lot. Steele ain't good either.

No. Dou you rate the squad Lambert left us with though?

Tbf, how awful was the squad he inherited from Bowyer? Utterly pants. But let me guess, not Bowyer's fault cos of FFP? But then it IS Lambert's fault when he sees Olsson and Rhodes sold, with barely a pittance to reinvest in the squad? At least be consistent.

Well well well. I vented my anger on Radio Rovers because I am sick and tired of them trying to defend this team, trying to find excuse after excuse and not dealing with the real issues the fans have.

Norwich hadn't won an opening day match for 20 yrs until they came and walked away with todays gift. And what a gift it was.

I read the renewed optimism posts, the media articles, brand new season etc etc however I wasn't really looking forward to today and I did predict an away win (0-3) in the pre match thread. Never in a million years did I expect to see such a dismal, disjointed first 45 minutes during which Rovers couldn't pass, defend or attack or do anything positive with the round thing that we refer to as a FOOTBALL.

The formation baffled me. 4-5-1, Henley at left back ! No attacking player in the central berths and Lenighan and Akpan alongside each other. I was perhaps even more mystified to see Graham with no support especially as we appeared to have 2 wingers on the pitch ! We all knew that one of the central defenders would either get injured or sent off to leave us short and lo and behold, it duly happened when the ineffective Ward went off. By then it was game over as Rovers players making mistake after mistake, rapidly found themselves 3-0 down. The defence back off and back off instead of attacking the ball and what happens? We concede. It is school boy stuff, rank amateurish defending and an utter embarrassment. It stems from the Keanscum, Appleton and Berg eras, totally rubbish defending. I don't know what the new breed of coaches are learning or doing on their FA sponsored courses but defending must not be part of the curriculum.

When half time blew, there had to be changes. We saw Stokes enter but goodness knows how Henley remained on the pitch and it wasn't long before number 4 went in. A quick 1-2 play ball to feet, defence back off and goal. It really should have been number 5 if it hadn't been for the lucky ricochet off Steele when they hit the post.

After the introduction of Byrne, we had an attacker on the pitch who wanted the ball. Forward positive play quickly led to a Rovers goal with a sublime ball from Feeney headed home by debutant Stokes. From that point on we saw a bit of purpose from Rovers, and I mean a bit. We could have had another, maybe 2 more but that would have just papered over the huge cracks that are evident in the club.

I was told 1990 was the last time we shipped 4 goals in an opening game, I cant be bothered to check the records.

Coyle got this horribly wrong. The wrong formation, wrong team selection and wrong players. Some look unfit, some don't look bothered and others are just not good enough to wear the shirt.

There are 15 fit first team players at the club. We need a minimum of 5 to come in to boost the numbers. I just don't know if Venkys are able to understand how football works, how a club should be run and what type of people should be leading the club from inside the ground and walls of Ewood.

Marshall looks like he is just waiting to be sold, it will be this week that he leaves if the Sheff Wed and Wolves bids are genuine. Akpan was in the same class as Henley - ZERO points - Lowe is NOT a captain and the armband should go to Duffy as at least he showed his desire on the pitch. Bennett should have been sold or maybe given away he was useless. Graham was ineffective as he had no support.

Coyle had no idea how to set the team up, but we should really all have expected this based on his recent managerial record. Its gonna be a long hard season watching us drop and watching the club just whither away as it dies slowly but surely.

Moaning, whinging and bitching for 22 pages and I include myself in that.

Lamberts fault, Bowyers fault, Coyles fault, Gav's fault......

ITS VENKYS BL00DY FAULT, and the longer everyone sits on their hands doing Fook all it'll continue.

Some of you need to grow a pair of balls and get protesting, its the only way to get rid of these ****s.

1-4 thrashing at home and not even a dissenting voice against those rats in Pune.

Embarrassing.

Gav

every Rovers fan has given up, the heart and soul of the club has been ripped out and no matter what you or anyother thinks, they are not going to leave, any amount of protest falls on deaf ears, my emails to the club echo that !

Just watched the highlights. Coyle says they punished us for every mistake, from the short clip I thought Norwich could have easily got a few more. Does anyone else think our goal wasn't great either? I thought the keeper should have saved it. Cross from Feeney was far too deep and although Stokes did well, it was hardly a bullet.

Utter shambles and one of the worst performances I've seen in my 50 years following the Rovers. Only positive to come out of it was Byrne. He looks like he may have something about him and was certainly eager for the ball. For the most part the midfield was over run, the players didn't seem up for it and, to be honest, Norwich took their foot off the gas or it could have been a rout. They hit the post and went close a few times, in addition to the four they scored. Early days, I know and Norwich will be one of the better teams in this division but it doesn't bode well. Praise the Lord that I didn't have to pay to witness that after being able to use a friend's season ticket. I won't be back in a hurry.

• Backroom

Just watched the highlights. Coyle says they punished us for every mistake

Same @#/? that Kean and Bowyer came out with. Just waiting for the dew on the grass to be mentioned.

Where do I start? Dismal, dire, disappointing, dreadful, mediocre, miserable, melancholic and mismatched

There were games last season when I came away despairing but today overtook all that

The lack of quality was frightening and whilst Norwich are no doubt a good side the gap in skill was scary

We looked better second half but for me Norwich took their foot off the gas and could have murdered us if they wanted to; that's the only reason why we seemed to improve

Akpan and Henley are a waste of space; Lowe wasn't much better. Ward was poor before his injury and I also have real reservations about Steele. OK the first goal would have beaten any keeper but two of the others were iffy

Bennett and Marshall were largely ineffective and although Feeney got in the cross for Stokes goal he did little else; Graham cut a lonely figure up front

In summary the side is full of bang average players and today clearly demonstrated why this season is going to be long and tough

Stokes, Byrne and Greer have to start at Cardiff

Where do I start? Dismal, dire, disappointing, dreadful, mediocre, miserable, melancholic and mismatched

There were games last season when I came away despairing but today overtook all that

The lack of quality was frightening and whilst Norwich are no doubt a good side the gap in skill was scary

We looked better second half but for me Norwich took their foot off the gas and could have murdered us if they wanted to; that's the only reason why we seemed to improve

Akpan and Henley are a waste of space; Lowe wasn't much better. Ward was poor before his injury and I also have real reservations about Steele. OK the first goal would have beaten any keeper but two of the others were iffy

Bennett and Marshall were largely ineffective and although Feeney got in the cross for Stokes goal he did little else; Graham cut a lonely figure up front

In summary the side is full of bang average players and today clearly demonstrated why this season is going to be long and tough

Stokes, Byrne and Greer have to start at Cardiff

What about Wigan, are we throwing that one?

Coyle got the formation wrong.

Coyle got the team wrong.

The team looked unfit.

The team didn't look motivated.

3-0 down at 24 minutes, it took Coyle till half time to make any changes.

There seemed to be a total lack of gameplan.

Henley, a guy who has never impressed at right back was played at left back, to accomodate Jason Lowe, a guy who has never impressed in midfield who has now been made captain. At no point in the game did Lowe appear to captain the team. At one point because he started giving someone else a rolicking he gave the ball away quite embarassingly, and in a dangerous position.

Marshall pretty much neutralized thanks to him being out of position.

The only sparks of hope came from Stokes and Byrne. Why he didn't play them I will never understand. We were a different team with those two in but admittedly by this point Norwich had well and truly took their foot off the gas. Not that they ever shifted out of second gear in the first place, they didn't need to.

In short, it was an embarassing shambolic display and Coyle should be ashamed with his managerial debut. I didn't think we were in for a good season and now I think it could potentially be worse.

Edit: And by the way Steele shouldn't be anywhere near a first team. He looked like he'd never stood in front of a goal before.

Roll on 2017/18 season. Fed up of this season already. At this stage I want life without the venkys so much that even if it meant cutting off all funds resulted in a ground share with Darwen playing in the dog and duck league. They are toxic and whilst they are here no healing can be done.

They are a disease that's nearly killed us so I would either like the cure or a swift end. Venkys bring neither.

We live in a venky world where everything is really and truly their fault but this was one of the worst performances I've seen, and if Norwich hadn't taken their foot off the pedal then it could have been the reply to that distant memory of a 7-1 thrashing we have them many moons ago

It's hard to get across how awful that first half was...

Coyle should be ashamed of himself and embarrassed because as bad as the players were he sent them out as a mess

How bad must Hendrie be that Henley played out of position and was predictably dreadful, it's not as if he looked comfortable there in preseason

Lowe was poor at right back as mentioned by many already, he might make a decent right back under a lambert or an allardyce but doesn't deserve a place in the team at the moment never mind the arm band

Ward again looked uncomfortable on left side of centre and Duffy looked exasperated about how rubbish his teammates were playing

It was like back to the GB days, with no apparent plan of how to play (GB did do some good stuff but not tactics) but worse, like he just told them to go out and play but not too much, mostly just stand off them

I liked lambert because I thought he at least had a plan

One thing I noticed was that unlike last week (apparently), and especially in the first half, Coylr as quiet and hardly in the technical area... Not that I think a manager needs to be shouting at his players constantly but the contrast seemed strange, and if there were ever a set of circumstances that a manger could be forgiven for it, it was today...

I had little faith in coyle before today and have a lot less now

Positives in that Stokes did make a difference as did Byrne who replaced the woeful Akpan. Byrne's constant desire to get on the ball even despite the score line was good to see

I didn't hear any venkys out or coyle chants from the jw, in fact pretty much the only noise of any real note was from the darwen end, especially in the second half, they, at least, did themselves proud

• Backroom

Positives in that Stokes did make a difference as did Byrne who replaced the woeful Akpan. Byrne's constant desire to get on the ball even despite the score line was good to see

Arguably easier to do at 3 or 4 down, coming on as a sub, than when a game is level or holding onto a tight lead. Pressure adds a dimension that young lads struggle with, and there wouldn't have been any when he came on today, as the game was already lost.

One tiny little insignificant point but I noticed whilst my eyes couldn't stand looking at the game, did we find the ball boys/girls outside the ground?? None were wearing the usual club tracksuit and just a mix of their own clothing, Stanley even chuck them a club hoody!

The ones I saw were at the front of the riverside.

One tiny little insignificant point but I noticed whilst my eyes couldn't stand looking at the game, did we find the ball boys/girls outside the ground?? None were wearing the usual club tracksuit and just a mix of there own clothing, Stanley even chuck them a club hoody!

They were all really slow to react as well.

The worrying and frightening thing about today was not getting totally humiliated and outplayed at home but the very fact that many on here expected the result beforehand, there was a certain inevitability about it. Never thought I'd be sat there watching a Rovers team 3-0 down against Norwich, with all due respects, and be thinking yeah that's about right considering the difference in quality between the two sides.

The frustration is the problems that everyone knew before the game were clear to see in the game. I'm not one for overly criticising players but Adam Henley had another shocker comparable to his poor one in the FA Cup against West Ham last season. The kid was given a five year contract at the club and in my opinion, there's been no noticeable improvement in his play during that time. Everyone would love to see players from the academy come through and succeed at first team level but there comes a point where you have to say a player just simply isn't good. Our two previous managers both came to the conclusion that Henley wasn't good enough to be starting at right-back, even though he was the only natural right-back in the squad. That tells it's own story and now due to lack of investment in the team he's somehow become our first choice left-back, he's an average right-back at best and an even worse left-back. Three of the four Norwich came as a result of his poor play/down his side of the pitch. Everyone knew the fullback area was a weakness and yet we haven't brought in any players to strengthen that area other than Hendrie the loanee, who if he can't manage to displace Henley from the team I have to presume he's not very good either, although I'll hold back judgment until I've actually seen him play. I don't think Lowe was particularly good either to be honest and it is a very contentious decision to make him captain in my opinion. I think Duffy or Lenihan seem more like captain material and seem to be more leaders and communicative on the pitch.

Arguably our best fullback last season was Marshall, who maybe understandably was used further up the pitch given our lack of quality in those areas. But I'd move him back to right-back and focus on trying to bring in better players in attacking areas. He was another player who totally went missing today.

Henley and Lowe weren't by any means the only culprits in a woeful first half performance. We set up in a very defensive 4-1-4-1 formation with Lenihan shielding the back four with Akpan and Marshall in central midfield. I honestly think Coyle realised the limitations of our squad compared to that of Norwich's and thought we'll set up to keep it tight and hopefully nick a goal or keep it at 0-0 and bring some subs of the bench in the second half to try and win the game. If that was the plan it was soon out the window with us being carved open with ease.

If we can cling onto any positives it is the fact that the new signings impressed me a lot. Greer looks a potential improvement on Ward in my opinion but Hanley was always going to be a big miss both as captain and as our best defender, we are going to be a lot weaker defensively this season without him. Feeney looks much improved from his brief loan spell at the club, or maybe if I was playing devil's advocate you could say the Rovers team have dropped to his level in the time he's been away. Stokes got man of the match despite only being an half-time sub, looks a good player and a nice header for our goal. Byrne came on and made a good impact on the game, looked a very neat and tidy player on the ball. Could be just the sort of player we need in midfield, should be starting ahead of Akpan.

We won't play teams as good as Norwich every week but there's plenty of things to be worried about. We desperately need more players bringing in to improve on what we've already got. If what was on display today is the best we've got come the end of the transfer window I dare say, like many people on here fear, we could be heading for a relegation battle.

Archived