BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Vs The Pool Fa Cup

chor808

It's giving up going. Moaning about the state of the club on here is not "protesting". I can understand why people don't want to go, but just giving up your seat and doing other things; that's not essentially a boycott imo.

Wrong. You don't get to arbitrarily define the parameters of a 'boycott'. It comes down to the motives of the individual.

A boycott is literally a withdrawal of financial support as a form of protest. Are you denying that a contingent of fans are doing this?

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the perfect opportunity for a joint protest but how many can be bothered? There must have been only a hundred or so people who stayed behind to protest after the Newcastle game (and that was open to people who have been boycotting too). Is it simply a matter of the many people who have choosen to stay away from games no longer care about that club. I was hopeful after the successful 1875 protest at the Wolves game that maybe things had turned a corner and more people had realised what was going on and what was needed. Sadly there seems only a small core of Rovers fans who actually seem to care and are trying to save the club. I know it is a horrible situation to be in and really it shouldn't come to fans having a go at each other but sometimes that is what is needed for people to wake up.

I am honestly unsure how much of an effect a boycott would have on anything. It would barely be picked up in the media maybe a token gesture mention of "there was only a couple of thousand fans at Ewood for this fourth round FA Cup tie" and that would be it. Somehow causing a commotion, potentially stopping the game would create much bigger headlines about both clubs plights. A full scale pitch invitation with fans from both sides in unity on the pitch is the way to go.

So we have a fourth round FA Cup home tie against a club two divisions beneath us and the last football comment was about 50 posts ago.

Says everything about the state we are in.

This is the perfect opportunity to join with Blackpool in protest.

Call it a boycott, call it a lack of interest, call it whatever you want.

In the end there will probably be about 4,000 Rovers fans at most on Ewood against Blackpool. If that doesn't send a message to the owners then nothing ever will. Some people (Cheston) will attempt to dress it up as part and parcel of the FA Cup or something to do with the demographics of the town, which in my opinion is nonsense. Some people won't go because they are boycotting, some won't go because they are out of the habit of watching Rovers, some won't go because its 'only Blackpool' and 'only the cup'.

It doesn't really matter what individual opinions are on why people aren't going or who is doing the right or wrong thing.

I'm sure we can all probably agree that 4,000 or so turning up to watch an FA Cup 4th round Lancashire derby is pitiful, horrendous and embarrassing for this football club, and ought to send a very clear message to the crooks running it about the feeling around the place.

We also all probably know deep down that these owners couldn't give two hoots whether there are 1000 people on or 20,000 on, and probably get some sick gratification out of people standing outside the ground in the pouring rain and cold protesting whilst they relax in their palace on the other side of the world knowing nobody can touch them.

Against QPR in the last round there was a gate of just under 7,500 and one side of Loftus Road was closed. I suspect the Rovers/Blackpool game will get an attendance of between four and five thousand. Prices at both games were rock bottom so price wasn't an issue. Whilst some, like Abbey and arbitro are staying away as a principled form of protest against the owners and will be back once they have gone, I fear that many, as in the past, will be gone for good or at least until the club is revolutionised again as it was when Jack took over.

Exactly that Parson.

We are a club with a limited fanbase and they have wilfully driven away a large percentage of it.

Out of the 15,000 missing, I would say, at best, 5000 are principled boycotters like Abbey and Arbito.

The other 10k? A large percentage simply won't be seen again. They didn't enjoy the football, the atmosphere, whatever, maybe they thought of coming back at some point, but 2, 3, 5 years passes by and they wonder how they even managed to make the time to go.

For me, they have destroyed this club for a generation and with the challenging demographics of the town, the saturated market of north west football and the now eye watering amounts of money in the PL, this act of self-sabotage occured at the worst possible time, we may never recover.

Exactly that Parson.

We are a club with a limited fanbase and they have wilfully driven away a large percentage of it.

Out of the 15,000 missing, I would say, at best, 5000 are principled boycotters like Abbey and Arbito.

The other 10k? A large percentage simply won't be seen again. They didn't enjoy the football, the atmosphere, whatever, maybe they thought of coming back at some point, but 2, 3, 5 years passes by and they wonder how they even managed to make the time to go.

For me, they have destroyed this club for a generation and with the challenging demographics of the town, the saturated market of north west football and the now eye watering amounts of money in the PL, this act of self-sabotage occured at the worst possible time, we may never recover.

Wholeheartedly agree with you Matty but I would sadly wager that the principled boycotters total only 5% of the figure you quoted.

Which is why, when the lowlife do eventually leave the club, they are hopefully replaced by people with a plan of action to rebuild and regrow the fanbase.

Every other club in the land makes serious efforts to engage as many people as possible. This club has neglected that area for SIX years. It's no wonder so many have stopped going, and it will take time and a lot of effort to bring them back, but it needs to be done.

I don't lose sight of the fact that we've had 3 years of average gates of 14,000+ prior to this season. That's despite Venkys and the horrible atmosphere around the club and lack of success on the pitch. I've no doubt that the people are out there to be brought back and a new generation of supporters to be bred, which could lift crowds to a very respectable level for the Championship, and if we did ever make it back to the Prem then we would be looking at 20,000+ once again which is better than the likes of Bournemouth, Swansea, Watford, Burnley etc.

Of course this process can only begin once these cretins leave town and someone with a plan and sense takes over. The longer they cling on the more ground we have to make up and the more time and effort it will take to recover back to competitive levels again.

Wrong. You don't get to arbitrarily define the parameters of a 'boycott'. It comes down to the motives of the individual.

A boycott is literally a withdrawal of financial support as a form of protest. Are you denying that a contingent of fans are doing this?

Its my opinion. There's a difference between a "boycott" and giving up going. Nothing you could say would change that. You can see above, I'm not the only one who sees the difference between genuine boycotters and those who can't be arsed anymore.

I also said I respected those decisions - check back, I even named dropped two vocal protestors. How is that "denying that a contingent of fans are doing this?" Rather than attempting to start arguments, try reading the posts - as opposed to filling in your own blanks.

It's no coincidence that yourself and BaWR are the main two who seem to take umbridge with my point of view. Moaning on the internet doesn't constitute "making a difference".

Against QPR in the last round there was a gate of just under 7,500 and one side of Loftus Road was closed. I suspect the Rovers/Blackpool game will get an attendance of between four and five thousand. Prices at both games were rock bottom so price wasn't an issue. Whilst some, like Abbey and arbitro are staying away as a principled form of protest against the owners and will be back once they have gone, I fear that many, as in the past, will be gone for good or at least until the club is revolutionised again as it was when Jack took over.

I said the other day that 50 % of the fans we've lost in the last 6 years will never set foot in Ewood again under any conceivable circumstances. I still stand by that. The other 50 % may return if the Chokers bail out and we start working our way back up the leagues.

I said the other day that 50 % of the fans we've lost in the last 6 years will never set foot in Ewood again under any conceivable circumstances. I still stand by that. The other 50 % may return if the Chokers bail out and we start working our way back up the leagues.

Totally agree Tyrone. We've seen it all before and it took Jack's investment to entice fans back and I suspect it will take something similar to get many of the fans back to Ewood - if we ever do.

Totally agree Tyrone. We've seen it all before and it took Jack's investment to entice fans back and I suspect it will take something similar to get many of the fans back to Ewood - if we ever do.

Stop living in the past.. We haven't seen it all before back then we didn't have the stadium we now have never mind Brockhall this time it's Oh so different.. Change your view Parsonblue

So what team do you think OC will put out? Do you think we will win or lose? Probably lose.

Do you think GB will make 6 or 7 changes in order to rest his favourite players to concentrate on a push for promotion?

If he does, do you think we'll still lose?

On the other hand, how many of the boycotters will be there to see us trot out at Wembley?

Just a few thoughts.

We didn't have such superb facilities in the late 60s early 70s

Facilities don't really matter. Once a fan falls out of love with the club or the game in general they often find something to replace it. They did in the past and they probably have done again today. Jack created something that brought the town and club alive again. The last time that was done was probably when Laurence Cotton - another local - did the same in the days before the First World War! When Venky's go some will return, no doubt, but many have been lost forever until another 'Jack' appears and as there was an 80 year gap between Cotton and Walker, I'm not exactly holding my breath waiting for the next one.

Facilities don't really matter. Once a fan falls out of love with the club or the game in general they often find something to replace it. They did in the past and they probably have done again today. Jack created something that brought the town and club alive again. The last time that was done was probably when Laurence Cotton - another local - did the same in the days before the First World War! When Venky's go some will return, no doubt, but many have been lost forever until another 'Jack' appears and as there was an 80 year gap between Cotton and Walker, I'm not exactly holding my breath waiting for the next one.

if we ever get back into the top flight (which i don't think we will) the missing support would return just like a good amount of them did for the liverpool fa cup game a couple of seasons ago

don't kid yourselves they're boycotting because they're not they're just fairweather supporters who want cheap top flight football

the support dipped in massive amounts until fat sam came and encouraged cheap season tickets and our support in the darwen end and thousands came back then

if we ever get back into the top flight (which i don't think we will) the missing support would return just like a good amount of them did for the liverpool fa cup game a couple of seasons ago

don't kid yourselves they're boycotting because they're not they're just fairweather supporters who want cheap top flight football

the support dipped in massive amounts until fat sam came and encouraged cheap season tickets and our support in the darwen end and thousands came back then

If Venkys sold up next week, I guarantee the next home game would see a 25 to 50% increase in attending home fans.

So we are back to arguing whether someone who no longer goes is a boycotter or a stay away rather than currently just referring to them as a lost supporter? A saddening majority

Well done Aggyblue for that hit and run grenade

Can we not get rid of the twohat owners then argue over the irrelevant sh1.t?

We didn't have such superb facilities in the late 60s early 70s

What's that got to do with it ? Brockhall might be brilliant but it hasn't stopped every decent player we've ever had since it opened walking away when they felt like it.

Jack did a brilliant job with the stadium but it's been neglected and it's starting to look that way.

Most people are more interested in what's going on out on the pitch.

What's that got to do with it ? Brockhall might be brilliant but it hasn't stopped every decent player we've ever had since it opened walking away when they felt like it.

Jack did a brilliant job with the stadium but it's been neglected and it's starting to look that way.

Most people are more interested in what's going on out on the pitch.

The point being its different than years ago.. Running costs weren't as high facilities nowhere near what they are now etc and FYI we're still an attractive proposition for any suitor out there

If Venkys sold up next week, I guarantee the next home game would see a 25 to 50% increase in attending home fans.

For a game maybe, then they would realise that the football is still terrible and bugger off again.

Anyone thinking fans will flood back if venkys sold up is in a dream world, the only thing that will get people through the turnstiles is good, winning football and promotion to the top flight.

I don't think there are more than "a couple" who think the club is in anything but the wrong hands, and those cannot be taken seriously. Attending and refusing to protest at games (under the belief that it makes little difference) is not the same though.

I'm broken by the way the club has fallen, but it hurts to see so many empty seats - I think yours is one (I think you sat about three rows in front of me).

They won't be "all" refilled when and if we turn the corner, it will take years.

Pretty much my own feelings.

I can't stand the constant reminders of what these people have done to our club-the trickle winding its way to the ground, the absence of traffic, the empty seats- just the sense of loss and general emptiness.

I started to boycott on principle, but it is a dangerous game. My 46 year match attendance habit is broken, although I kick every ball, listening to the radio, if I am not down there protesting.

So I have become the old man, who used to make joking, negative remarks about Rovers to the loyal, passionate young Rovers fan, passing his gate after a Div 3 fixture.( Tony Field, Kit Napier, Roger Jones et al)

It was a long while afterwards that his wife told me her husband had lived for Rovers until the 1960 debacle.

Archived