BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Season ticket 2017/18

I can imagine Cheston and The Indian impotents casting an envious eye at Bradford City, a team that we will be facing next season in League 1. They have shifted 17000 season tickets for next year so far. I just wonder if they are questioning the marketing strategy of BCFC, what they are doing right to generate such support, how they are working with the fans and supporters groups and how they are employing the right kind of football people at the club.

Open the blinkers you moronic impotent imbeciles and take stock of what you have done, what you continue to do and what you might do in the future.

VENKY SCUM OUT

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 09/04/2017 at 11:26 AM, Mattyblue said:

The protests this season has got our plight traction again, you don't need an empty ground to get publicity- still plenty going to Coventry and Charlton, though by default the crowd will collapse again anyway- 5/6000 next season?

I think that's a great point, although I doubt it will put to bed any cynicism shown by some towards attendees.

I have to pick on one point, though. As far as neutrals are concerned, I doubt they will have ever noticed or really cared about our own fan protests. That's not a sleight at all, I think it's just an unfortunate fact. The only recognition by outsiders this season was from the Jim White piece which, I'm sorry to say, I'm highly cynical of. I think it was some personal vendetta of his, or favour to one of his mates, to get at Venkys, and nothing more. Sadly, I doubt very, very much, that it was for us (the fans) or the club.

Just now, 1864roverite said:

I can imagine Cheston and The Indian impotents casting an envious eye at Bradford City, a team that we will be facing next season in League 1. They have shifted 17000 season tickets for next year so far. I just wonder if they are questioning the marketing strategy of BCFC, what they are doing right to generate such support, how they are working with the fans and supporters groups and how they are employing the right kind of football people at the club.

Open the blinkers you moronic impotent imbeciles and take stock of what you have done, what you continue to do and what you might do in the future.

VENKY SCUM OUT

On the contrary Bradford are one of the clubs Cheston will use as evidence as to why we can't compete in League One next season. He'll be glad for Bradford and Portsmouth with 15,000+ a week turning up as it can be used to show why we're selling off all our assets and not competing with them.

How can we succeed at that level when we're up against a club with nearly 20,000 turning up and we're getting 5 or 6 thousand?

Of course the right way to look at it is to be very impressed with Bradford's model and try to replicate it, but it will be more of the excuses down at Ewood.

On 09/04/2017 at 10:26 AM, Mattyblue said:

Chaddy and Parson won't be stopping going, Dunnfc et al won't be going back anytime soon.

Why do we need to go round the buoy again and again and again?

You won't convince the other, so move on for everyone's sake!

The protests this season has got our plight traction again, you don't need an empty ground to get publicity- still plenty going to Coventry and Charlton, though by default the crowd will collapse again anyway- 5/6000 next season? That's 20,000 gone in 6 years! Unprecedented in the game I would wager and another angle of attack for the campaign.

Organise, relaunch the Trust, hit the media etc etc, just stop banging on about Chaddy and Parson's personal choice, it's just a waste of time and effort.

Exactly.  It is their choice, I may not agree with their logic but it is still their choice and criticism of this will only create more angst.  Regardless of PB and Chaddy, who are Like us Rovers thru and thru I expect a further collapse in gates and corporate sponsorship if / when we go down.

All this infighting does us no good btw.  

Also, Bradford have long adopted the John Williams approach of it's better to have a full stadium at a lower ticket price spending in the shop, food outlets, etc than our current model of selling at a higher price to a reduced number; the ticket revenues won't be too far apart but the overall spend per person will be considerably different. 

Bradford also took a long term view of re-engaging the local fan base by giving free tickets away to kids about 10-12 years ago, they had a dwindling fan base due to the success of Bradford Bulls and migrant population, credit to them as they've stuck to their principles regardless of which league they were in and its paid dividends and brought them back from the brink of financial Armageddon following their few seasons in the prem.

Just now, Lancaster Rover said:

Also, Bradford have long adopted the John Williams approach of it's better to have a full stadium at a lower ticket price spending in the shop, food outlets, etc than our current model of selling at a higher price to a reduced number; the ticket revenues won't be too far apart but the overall spend per person will be considerably different. 

Bradford also took a long term view of re-engaging the local fan base by giving free tickets away to kids about 10-12 years ago, they had a dwindling fan base due to the success of Bradford Bulls and migrant population, credit to them as they've stuck to their principles regardless of which league they were in and its paid dividends and brought them back from the brink of financial Armageddon following their few seasons in the prem.

Huddersfield have done something similar. Last season they were down to gates of 10-12 thousand. This season they've been getting 20,000+. A large part of that is down to their improved fortunes under David Wagner, but the club has tried very hard to get as many people as possible to games, regularly offer tickets at £5, and do all sorts of initiatives and work to engage as many people as possible to buy into the club.

Well done to them. Making a mockery of the naysayers down at Rovers. It can be done with a bit of imagination and a sensible chairman (Mike Cheston are you reading?).

A few years ago Morecambe let everyone into a pre christmas midweek game for free, they got 3800 on and made as much money in bar sales, shop sales, etc as they made on similar game in the previous year on both tickets and bar. Not only that they probably got themselves 100 or so new weekly attendees and won the game. 

I have always believed its better to have 10k on paying a fiver than 5k on paying a tenner.

2 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

A few years ago Morecambe let everyone into a pre christmas midweek game for free, they got 3800 on and made as much money in bar sales, shop sales, etc as they made on similar game in the previous year on both tickets and bar. Not only that they probably got themselves 100 or so new weekly attendees and won the game. 

I have always believed its better to have 10k on paying a fiver than 5k on paying a tenner.

I agree. I'm not so sure the people running Rovers do though. Too many in their comfort zone who just want matchdays to come and go with as little aggravation and hassle as possible. It makes no difference to some of the staff down there whether there's 5,000 on or 15,000 on other than 15,000 is more difficult and challenging to manage. They'll still be employed regardless as the club needs them in place to satisfy regulations.

I look at the Darwen End with the empty Legends Lounge most weeks. A few times they've opened it up for big away followings this season but most weeks it has been stood empty. I really don't understand the point. Surely there is money to be made by opening this room up to home supporters and admitting on a first come first served basis and selling beer and food before kick off? Or at least opening it up a few times and selling tickets with admission to this room before/after?

10 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

I agree LR.  However how many would bother turning up at Ewood for £5 or even 50p?

I think a lot of the staff at Ewood will get a shock next season when we are forced to reduce the shop and ticket office hours right down, in fact I would have thought the ticketing staff/commercial side will have to be reduced down a great deal. No need to have staffing to accommodate ticket sales of 15k when we are getting 6k a week.

A lot of it is also down to feel good factor.

Huddersfield are a normal club owned by a local businessman. They've got a good thing going with Wagner so people get on board. 

'Taking Back Ewood' worked for us on the same sort of premise back in 2008.

I remember a last match of the season against Fulham back in about 2003, tickets were made £5 and 30,000 turned up. Try something similar on Easter Monday and how many would turn out?

Crap football, crap atmosphere, crap players, crap owners ain't pulling a crowd at any price.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Huddersfield are a normal club owned by a local businessman. They've got a good thing going with Wagner so people get on board. 

I remember a last match of the season against Fulham back in about 2003, tickets were made £5 and 30,000 turned up. Try something similar on Easter Monday and how many would turn out?

Crap football, crap atmosphere, crap players, crap owners ain't pulling a crowd at any price.

This is exactly what we are missing!

And why we need a decent manager and players like Rhodes (formerly) and Mahoney (probably soon to be formerly). :(

We'll be condemned to the lower leagues and decade long financial mire like Pompey but at least they got rid of those who brought their downfall but we'll still have to suffer those mostly responsible. Any wonder people want us to go bust.

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Similar to what I was going to say, ticket offers won't make a difference at Rovers, that was shown when the club introduced the £30 for 3 games offer, think only 250 took up the offer and probably at least half of them would have been people who would have gone to one or two of them games anyway. However if new ownership was to come in and put on similar ticketing arrangements that we would pull in a bigger crowd.

On Sun Apr 09 2017 at 10:26 AM, Mattyblue said:

Chaddy won't be stopping going,

Why do we need to go round the buoy again and again and again?

You won't convince the other, so move on for everyone's sake!

just stop banging on about Chaddy's personal choice, it's just a waste of time and effort.

Exactly Matty. You are right with all the points above. 

• Backroom
Just now, AAK said:

Similar to what I was going to say, ticket offers won't make a difference at Rovers, that was shown when the club introduced the £30 for 3 games offer, think only 250 took up the offer and probably at least half of them would have been people who would have gone to one or two of them games anyway. However if new ownership was to come in and put on similar ticketing arrangements that we would pull in a bigger crowd.

I know at least five people who will be straight back when Venky's go, none of whom frequent messageboards.

Venkys have missed a trick and goes to show the people behind the scenes also missed a trick, first time i situated full time in Darwen end was about 7-8 yrs ago rest of time when buying tickets was " where do you want the seats? " usually it was BBE just because thats where most of the noise came from. Few time's Id sit in JW and same with Riverside it was 'very quiet' but I remember yrs ago in Darwen End it being full of kids, they gave out free tickets to schools etc but what the club should have been doing since Venkys took over was tap into the Asian  market more.

"The usual resident population of the Lancashire-14 area was 1,460,893 in the 2011 Census. The largest ethnic group was white (90%). The black and minority ethnic (BME) group formed 10% of the population.  Numerically, there were almost 141,000 black and minority ethnic people in the area."

I know theres the urban myth ( or it might be real)  that the Asian community wanted there own stand or part of a stand but if you wanna tap into any 'market' to get people in then it should be this. 

Dont get me wrong I dont want a load of segregated Asians at Ewood, Blackburns full of it but I really think if anyone linked with Venkys had done their homework this would be an untapped market.

Going back to how to get bums on seats they should offer adult tickets £10.00 kid goes for a £1 ( for a limited number of games).

Archived